• Technical Advisory Committee

Bumping this up.

We've got 3 people interested in kicking off another batch of hubs - 5 pair is the minimum order size.

The build shop informed me that the cost of splining the hubs has risen dramatically when he built the last batch of 9 pair.

They are raising the price to $700 for a pair of these hubs.

We've had 28 pair built to date, but interest seems to be waning.

if you're interested in a set, better speak up now. The next run of parts could be the last one...

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm posting this as a service to Focus teams. I am drumming up interest in a "group buy" to purchase aftermarket, unbreakable front hubs.   It seems that more Foci are joining the series. On

@mcoppola   Champs inventing things to save the World!

Motivation for anyone on the fence 😄

Posted Images

Hi Jason @jasonpoly

Unfortunately I've had nobody else requesting hubs other than yourself and 2 others. Not quite enough interest to kick off another batch of them. I'll keep trying, but in the meantime, keeping a spare set of built up knuckles with you during the race is what most of us have done before obtaining a set of these aftermarket hubs. Which race are you entered in? (PM me if you'd rather.)  I always like following fellow Focus teams and sharing synergies. Best of luck, and I'll keep trying. I sent out some notes to folks who've inquired in the past. i'll let you know if anyone responds with interest.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, maybe I'm a little late, but I would be in for a set if a new batch is coming in the future. You can send me the details by email at dan-charette@hotmail.com

Regards,

Daniel 2002 SVTF / 2003 SVTF

Edited by Daniel
entry error

So we didn't quite get our hubs in time for the last race, and after 9.5 hours of race time we had our 3rd stock style (timken) hub failure.  We were ready for this with an assembled knuckle to go on the car, but the piece that sheered off this hub was stuck to the driveshaft and we lost 100 min removing that and getting everything back together.

The good news is we now have a set of the billet hubs for our next race.  Going to have to see how the bearings hold up though... we killed 3 front timken bearings in this same race (one in this hub, plus two more).  Seem like the grease runs out of them in the heat and then the bearing gives up.

Next race we'll be using Motorcraft (SKF) bearings with the billet hubs.  Fingers crossed they last 14hrs.

190929_failed_focus_hub.thumb.jpg.7970b6787f3ec983d8807560778db82e.jpg

190929_failed_focus_bearings.thumb.jpg.74e8ba02d30b33f2d8988d0f23a6d44b.jpg

Edited by jasonpoly
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:03 PM, jasonpoly said:

So we didn't quite get our hubs in time for the last race, and after 9.5 hours of race time we had our 3rd stock style (timken) hub failure.  We were ready for this with an assembled knuckle to go on the car, but the piece that sheered off this hub was stuck to the driveshaft and we lost 100 min removing that and getting everything back together.

The good news is we now have a set of the billet hubs for our next race.  Going to have to see how the bearings hold up though... we killed 3 front timken bearings in this same race (one in this hub, plus two more).  Seem like the grease runs out of them in the heat and then the bearing gives up.

Next race we'll be using Motorcraft (SKF) bearings with the billet hubs.  Fingers crossed they last 14hrs.

@jasonpoly when is your next race?

Glad to hear you received the hubs you found for sale on Focus Fanatics.

I had you in mind when I saw them for sale (the seller got them from our last group buy.)

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:35 PM, Daniel said:

Hi there, maybe I'm a little late, but I would be in for a set if a new batch is coming in the future. You can send me the details by email at dan-charette@hotmail.com

Regards,

Daniel 2002 SVTF / 2003 SVTF

Email sent.

note: If anyone else is in need of these billet focus hubs, please contact me. We've got 2-3 teams waiting to get up to the 5 pair minimum batch size.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am up for a set...sick of breakage and wasted time.

While I am at it, most times my hubs break it shears off the axles...you guys have any "tricks" for getting the axles in these (SVT) transmissions in\out any easier.

MCoppola, I sent you PM.

Thanks,

Lyn (FoCUSS)

Lyn, @FoCUSS

I got your PM, but was tied up the past couple days with a funeral in my extended family. At the moment I don't have any spares available. It seems that interest has been waning for these hubs. That's possibly because the teams that needed them have already made their purchases in the last couple group buys we put together, or the increased price of $700/pair have turned some people away. The build shop was at one time selling these to me for cheaper, but have incurred increased cost for the splining operation, and they were forced to raise the price.

I'm checking with a few folks that expressed interest over the past few months to see if we can get up to the minimum of 5 pairs ordered to get the build shop started on another batch.

I will respond to your PM later this evening, and hopefully have a better idea if we have enough interest to get more built.

I know how frustrating this problem can be - I'll do the best I can to put together another group buy.

In the meantime, if you know anyone else running a Focus that might be experiencing the same problem, let them know there is a solution. That will help us get up to the minimum batch size.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just to update things here, we got the billet hubs onto our Focus for our last race.  Also used new Motorcraft/skf bearings that we re-packed with high temp grease.  Drove our hardest 14hr  race to date (measured in tires and brake pads that we went through), and had NO issue with either the hubs or bearings.  Big success for us compared to our last few races.  After the race, outside front bearing was starting to feel worn.  We replaced both sides to be safe.

We might be interested in 2 more as spares if there is another batch made.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 04 SVT and am looking to do Lemons in March Nola. Having been bitten by broken hubs (twice!) It's basically new Hubs or Bust for us. Anyone still got a spare set (desperate Plee) or @mcoppola if you're out of the game any chance you could serve the community and give us the machine shop that is manufacturing these. Massively appreciate you sharing any details, we're all kinda beholdant to the next batch or the secret sauce. Looks like @FoCUSS is holding out for a set. Failing that anyone else on the forum found other solutions to this issue asside from @mcoppola magic formula?

Yours Desperate Hub failing Wanna be racer.

Feel free for anyone to DM me with a solution. 

@FoCUSS   @roverelf  @Daniel @jasonpoly @Durbs and others interested:

I’ve been working with the build shop to come up with another source to get the hubs splined. The shop has to outsource that work and it has become very expensive, driving the cost of these hubs up. 
For now, we plan to use to the sane splining source, but the price has risen to $770-795 for a pair. (TBD)
Look for an email or PM from me in the next day or 2, as I am sending out details and beginning to collect funds. The shop requires a deposit of half the total in order to begin work. 

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1

@mcoppola, ANY chance they could get a set for Mid March? we have a race in Nola on the 28th !!  For me its somewhat less about cost (obviously that's somewhat relative) and more about timing and availability. Appreciate the contact by the way I was worried the forum had gone quiet.

Edited by Durbs
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents,  New guy here in West Michigan.  We are doing an event at Grattan on May 30/31 and just starting to build the car.  www.grattan8hour.com  it's a little like a Lemons race but limited to 4 cylinder NA cars. (some spec miata's and 944's in the fast class)  It sounds like getting a set of the super hubs will be out of the question based upon time. However,  I'm in for a set when you guys pull the trigger on a full order.   @jasonpoly having pulled a few hubs apart I'm not sure how you repacked them with high temp grease.  Our bearings were all sealed as one unit?   thanks   Eric

• 1 month later...