In car timer.

ad3adman

So..I'm sure i'm over thinking this one, but....

Last race we lost radio communication and struggled with letting the driver know when to come in. we should have had a clock or stopwatch in the car to at least know when there stint was up. i'm searching on Amazon for kitchen timers and stuff, but i'm worried about night sessions and not being able to see the digital read out. I'd like to know what you guys are using. remember i'm poor so no $700.00 data acquisition systems with a built in clock for me. thinking more in the neighborhood of a $25 solution.  maybe something that could wire into the car, but i'm sure what i end up with will be battery operated. 

look forward to seeing what you all have and see you at Sebring

Mike D

We ran a white plastic kitchen clock on a AA battery.  Look at the time when leaving the pits, come back in 2 hours later unless something goes wrong.  We also run a red lens trailer marker light high up on the cage that shines down on all the gauges and the clock in case the backlights go out.  You should be able to get away with that for under $25.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bbaker480 said:

We also run a red lens trailer marker light high up on the cage that shines down on all the gauges and the clock in case the backlights go out. 

That's a great idea I never thought of!

51 minutes ago, ad3adman said:

So..I'm sure i'm over thinking this one, but....

Last race we lost radio communication and struggled with letting the driver know when to come in. we should have had a clock or stopwatch in the car to at least know when there stint was up. i'm searching on Amazon for kitchen timers and stuff, but i'm worried about night sessions and not being able to see the digital read out. I'd like to know what you guys are using. remember i'm poor so no $700.00 data acquisition systems with a built in clock for me. thinking more in the neighborhood of a $25 solution.  maybe something that could wire into the car, but i'm sure what i end up with will be battery operated. 

look forward to seeing what you all have and see you at Sebring

Mike D

When I ran Lemons and at an AER race, I found a kitchen timer that had a function where it just counted up from zero and then reset at 24 hours. It had huge buttons and it was easy to just reset coming off pit road and then watch during the race, and you just watched for your time. It did come in handy multiple times due to radio failure. That timer used one of those 3V lithium coin size batteries, and it still works great after 5 years!

• Like 1

seems like a kitchen timer is the way to go then. Looks like ill be making a run to Wally-World today to pick on up. i have some LEDS, the type that are used to illuminate the big channel letter signs they dont use neon anymore) and i can rig it to a little switch. i think i had a red one. 

thanks for the input, guys. 

Mike D

Anything hardwired to the car will reset when you kill the master disconnect switch during fueling, so battery powered is the way to go.  I have seen some teams just put a cheap digital watch on the steering wheel, others just zip tie a cheap clock or timer to the cage where its visible.

• Like 1

Sure you can zip tie a kitchen timer to the dash, but where's the fun in that?

I made a stint timer/clock/speedometer using an Arduino, a GPS module, and some 7-segment displays. You can see it in action in the video below (the flickering is from multiplexing the LEDs, you don't see any flicker in person). White display is speed from GPS, top red display is time of day from GPS, bottom red display is the stint timer. Red button in the middle resets the timer, and toggle switch on the right switches between full bright for daytime, and dimmed for nighttime. By using GPS it doesn't reset the clock every time power is killed. I think it was under $50 for all of the parts (GPS module was by far the most expensive part).

• Like 3

We put in a digital clock gage. It powers on and off like the rest of the electronics. So you don't need to remember to reset a timer or turn anything on.

When you turn your main power on, the clock starts at 12:00, and will show you the time of the stint. i.e. 1:50

Summit Racing SUM-G2987-1 - Summit Racing® Digital Gauges

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CabotTeg118 said:

I don't have a write up, but I can send you my code if interested.

@KGRacing's solution is a pretty good idea. I just made mine for an excuse to mess with GPS modules.

i had someone else mention the clock reset also. this is a good idea as its kinda fool-proof. Good tip, KGRacing.

i may PM you for that code later and pile it on with all the other projects i dont have time for and maybe it will eventually come to fruition one day :)

10 hours ago, bbaker480 said:

We ran a white plastic kitchen clock on a AA battery.  Look at the time when leaving the pits, come back in 2 hours later unless something goes wrong.  We also run a red lens trailer marker light high up on the cage that shines down on all the gauges and the clock in case the backlights go out.  You should be able to get away with that for under $25.

This.  10-12" analog battery operated clock, ziptied to the passenger dash area.

i found this on amazon for 14.00. i can wire it up to reset like KGRacing suggested. should do the trick. ill get it in tomorrow and let you all know how it went. 

thank you, Everyone for your feedback on this. 

i'm making brake cooling ducts also. if you think anyone would be interested, ill do something on that also. 

clock.jpg

On 6/9/2018 at 5:40 PM, Huggy said:

FYI that clock does not reset on power cycle, it has an internal battery.

image.jpg

not anymore is doesnt :)

i just ripped it out, now it behaves like i want it too. 

just gently lift the battery and you see the 2 tabs soldered to it. i just twisted the battery until both tabs broke off. dont be scared ;) 

timer.jpg

timer 2.jpg

• Like 1