Sign in to follow this  
dvot

What to race

So its week 13. No champcar series which is my main Iracing series.  Kinda looking at other series to race.  The MX-5 Rookie series and the spec racer ford is all I've ever really run on Iracing other than the dirt sprint car and the legends car on the ovals..  I'm kinda bored of the Rookie MX-5 stuff.  Not very fast.  WIth a month break from the champcar series is there a fun but relatively serious series like champcar you guys would recommend for someone trying to get better.  

Sounds like you're ready for the Radical!

It's a free car since the last update, and we (HJ) will be running it weekly in the official iRacing split at 9pm ET on Wednesdays, starting next week. It's a tricky car to get to grips with initially, but very rewarding once you get there, teaching momentum and downforce equally. It's fixed setup, so there will be no inequality there, and there will always be a good size of grid at that time as at least 10 of us will be joining up.

Everyone is welcome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mudskipping!  But that is just week 13 fun.

Radical is a lot of fun and definitely challenging.  Could be a fun series to run for sure.

But I will say, just like in real life, go for something low power to learn in.  That makes you learn how to use all the grip available in the turns and balance the car to get everything out of it.   Power/aero can mask deficiencies in skill a bit.  Low power cars don't really have any advantage over other drivers anywhere, so it all comes down to skill and maximizing what you have.

I ran GTC cup last season in the Solstice.  It is slow, and understeers terribly.  But it is a solid series that doesn't have quite the level of BS that is generally found in the <1500 iR in MX5 races.  I will run that car again this season since I am still a few seconds off pace of the really fast guys.  I still have not figured out how to effectively get around corners in the virtual world without the G's.  Still learning how to use 2 senses to the maximum with my best sense on mute....

SRF is another similar series with lower power and focus on driver skill.  Granted Solstice and SRF and Dr Jeckly and Mr Hyde when it comes to handling. 

Solistice = do whatever you can to get that f'r to rotate (it still wont). 

SRF = do everything possible to not induce any lateral G's with no or reducing throttle otherwise it WILL rotate.

Edited by NigelStu

I like the SRF and the fields are good.  Just ran the radical sunday in a couple week 13 races after reading this.  Now thats a fun car but man is it hard to drive compared to the SRF.  Thanks for the recommendations.  I have a hard time navigating and understanding the iracing schedule but I will likely give the Wednesday night races a try.  How do you deal with splits in a league like that?  I ran Watkins glen in the Radical with 27 drivers in the race and three splits.  

Lower splits just means less potential points for championship.  Example, top split winner may get 120-140 pts, 2nd split winner gets 80-100, while 3rd / bottom split winner may only get 60 pts.  

Splits are roughly grouped by iR and keep approximate "skill" level together.  Get better, improve the iR and you can move up the splits and score more points (along with getting to race with drivers that are less likely to do stupid stuff).

• Like 1

Radical has to be driven like an SRF with a touch more downforce (but with the same weight transfer characteristics). It's a car that rewards being driven smoothly and a little below the limit versus overdriving.

We'll be running the iRacing championship in the Wednesday 9pm ET timeslot, probably attracting decently big fields now that it's a free car. We'll also be running the iRacing 911 Cup championship in the Tuesday 9:45pm ET timeslot, another car that is very challenging to get the hang of but very rewarding when you do.

• Like 1

Thanks for the headsup.  Been one of those busy weeks and haven't logged in since Sunday evening.  Gonna try to run the radical cup race tonight at 8pm central time.  Just realized my license had been upgraded this week to class C.  I'll be in the bottom split trying not to spin anyone out.  At least its a track I know, have actually raced, and have the most experience driving in i-racing at this point.  Hopefully the fixed setup isn't trying to kill you when you turn.  I couldn't drive the car in the week 13 races without putting in more rear wing to keep from swapping ends.  

• Like 1

Was having fun in the radical class 8pm last night.... until rear ended out of the corkscrew into the wall effectively ending my face.  I think I was in 5th at the time.  Fun car at Laguna.  They sure made it understeer like a dumptruck with the fixed setup.  Tried moving the brake bias rearward in practice but that was a fail..