DuncanDana

RVA Graphics & Wraps ChampCar National Cahmpionship Final Results

4 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Good luck with that. Phil's post said it was "allowed." He didn't say if points were assigned for it or not.

Seems like nothing is ever clear as far as rule interpretations go.

The more we ask, the more cloudy things get.

Shouldn’t be disseminated via the forum. I would wager that small fraction of the membership is on here regularly. Would be no big deal to send an email to the entire membership. Might be a job for the yet to be established Tech Committee

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

I'm sure they're going to roll out the results with a story soon. But yes, it would be nice to see something official posted as soon as the race was over.

I did print the prerace totals and added the finishing positions.

It was surprising that only 3 teams finished under 10 points total.

The internet police here at work won't let me post my chart, but here's the first few. (first 32 numbers are best previous finish, 3rd # is yesterday's finishing position.

RVA = 1+2+1 = 4

Premium Dudes = 1+1+4 =6

Nine Four Toy = 1+3+2 = 6

GWR = 1+2+7 = 10

Oh snaps

SHENANIGANS!!

13 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Good luck with that. Phil's post said it was "allowed." He didn't say if points were assigned for it or not.

Seems like nothing is ever clear as far as rule interpretations go.

The more we ask, the more cloudy things get.

If it costs points, it would not have said allowed, it would have said 25 points.  

I'm scratching my head as we lost 3rd place at Gingerman in 2015 for this very issue. We were running a E30 325 with manual transmission and 4.10 rear end. We were protest for this, it was brought to Phil Mckenny via phone, 25 points were assigned and we were knocked off the podium. We've been claiming the points ever since. Of course this was during the Chumpcar days. I hope under Champcar we will get clearly defined rulings which are documented and store in a place everyone can review.

• Like 4
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, RacerX said:

I'm scratching my head as we lost 3rd place at Gingerman in 2015 for this very issue. We were running a E30 325 with manual transmission and 4.10 rear end. We were protest for this, it was brought to Phil Mckenny via phone, 25 points were assigned and we were knocked off the podium. We've been claiming the points ever since. Of course this was during the Chumpcar days. I hope under Champcar we will get clearly defined rulings which are documented and store in a place everyone can review.

Yours is the instance I keep going back to in my mind as I see yet another discussion on this topic.

3 minutes ago, RacerX said:

I worked pit lane for this race, and recall this exact scenario.

Another example of the fact that our rules could use a little work....

I'm not sure I believe realoem.   no way a manual 4.10 E30 would be streetable.  (said as somebody who own an E30 with a few diffs)

Edited by theblue
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Another example of the fact that our rules could use a little work....

The actual rules, or Champcar's interpretation and enforcement of their own rules?

S. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, theblue said:

I'm not sure I believe realoem.   no way a manual 4.10 E30 would be streetable.  (said as somebody who own an E30 a few a few diffs)

They paid off realoem, shhhh!

1 minute ago, Wyatt said:

They paid off realoem, shhhh!

1st gear running out at like 9 mph is kinda cool

• Haha 2

Who ever had the idea / chose the food truck for the weekend, I love you.

I had fun, drove with GWR #991. 

I am now 1/2 lobster due to that Kentucky murder sun. 

Thanks to the Champ and NCM staff. 

Mad props to Wyatt for his start on Sunday in the Burningham too car! He started P1 &took a page out of the F1 book. When the pace car pulled onto pit road at the top of the Sink Hole Wyatt started racing. By the time he crossed start finish he was 5 cars on Cone Crushers & the 3rd place car was another 15-20 cars back. CRAZY!!! Then the SC300 was having none of it & broke. 

Edited by Choray911
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Snorman said:

The actual rules, or Champcar's interpretation and enforcement of their own rules?

S. 

@Snorman I sense your frustration, as I too feel it at times when things aren't as clear as they need to be.

I would love to assist by becoming a member of a Tech Committee, or whatever the BOD wants to call it...

However - I DO TRY to keep in mind, as I stated earlier, that Champcar IS absolutely the BEST race series going. It Doesn't mean that it couldn't use some improvements though.

I strongly suggest that someone (perhaps someone with a dog in the fight) opens up a new topic, and we leave this topic to what its' intent is - to review the epic race we just had!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Mopar 63 said:

Yes the points do matter.

We have always allowed any gear ratio that was an option for your year make and model.

Phil McKinney 

I agree the points matter.  However for some reason the E30 I was driving at Gingerman race in 2015 got protested and we were dq’d out of P3 because of unclaimed 4.10 gear (see RacerX post).  Granted that was three years ago but I lived an experience that does not align with your “always” comment. 

I really think we consider fixing this (after having rules clear) by having online access to every TCV so people who want to police can do it before the race not after.  Also review of all cars raced through the year could help root out inconsistencies whatever the reason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

@Snorman I sense your frustration, as I too feel it at times when things aren't as clear as they need to be.

I would love to assist by becoming a member of a Tech Committee, or whatever the BOD wants to call it...

However - I DO TRY to keep in mind, as I stated earlier, that Champcar IS absolutely the BEST race series going. It Doesn't mean that it couldn't use some improvements though.

I strongly suggest that someone (perhaps someone with a dog in the fight) opens up a new topic, and we leave this topic to what its' intent is - to review the epic race we just had!

I would second and third this sentiment. My statement was only meant as factual and in no way trying to take away from competitive racing which happened over the weekend. My hat goes off to the competitors and Champcar as an organization. 

Edited by RacerX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2018 at 1:55 PM, Choray911 said:

Mad props to Wyatt for his start on Sunday in the Burningham too car! He started P1 &took a page out of the F1 book. When the pace car pulled onto pit road at the top of the Sink Hole Wyatt started racing. By the time he crossed start finish he was 5 cars on Cone Crushers & the 3rd place car was another 15-20 cars back. CRAZY!!! Then the SC300 was having none of it & broke. 

I thought that is what earned RBank a stop and go on Saturday (I think that is what was said on the broadcast).  No?

LATER EDIT:  someone clarified that it was PUY that caused their black flag visit

Edited by Racer28173
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, RacerX said:

I would second and third this sentiment. My statement was only meant as factual and in no way trying to take away from competitive racing which happened over the weekend. My hat goes off to the competitors and Champcar as an organization. 

I started a new topic here (Linked below)

Please use the new topic for the Differential discussion. :)

• Thanks 1

I thought that is what earned RBank a stop and go on Saturday (I think that is what was said on the broadcast). No? Don't know... I was on the roof at NCM & wasn't listening to the cast. I saw RB come in but I thought it was passing under yellow. I really could not tell you.

On 6/18/2018 at 1:16 PM, Choray911 said:

I thought that is what earned RBank a stop and go on Saturday (I think that is what was said on the broadcast). No? Don't know... I was on the roof at NCM & wasn't listening to the cast. I saw RB come in but I thought it was passing under yellow. I really could not tell you.

We heard passing under yellow but not sure if that is official.

Ok, so here is a question.  Is the final champ position determined by race position finish or championship contender finish?  I assume championship contender finish.   If so, this is what I spent the last 20 minutes doing instead of the work I should be doing for the people that pay me to do something other than this.  I'll send you the excel sheet if I have a glaring error or omission and you would like to correct it, which is entirely possible given my Mississippi public school system education.  The cool thing for me is my team (Burningham) and my first cousin Perry's team (Pomona) finished in a tie.  No family bragging rights can be had until next year.  Edit: Oh well it was cool until I heard there were no ties.

(Edited to include the 935 in EC and no ties)

Capture.thumb.JPG.ef3fcff6a9be50b8e63359fe63966469.JPG

Edited by Burningham
Revised again unofficial championship results based on race position not champ finish position
  • Like 1

Good point above. Although it doesn't affect the first few places, does a team that finished under an EC car use the posted resultant position for their point total, or do the results skip that EC car, and move the Championship contender up a notch?

27 minutes ago, Burningham said:

We heard passing under yellow but not sure if that is official.

Ok, so here is a question.  Is the final champ position determined by race position finish or championship contender finish?  I assume championship contender finish.   If so, this is what I spent the last 20 minutes doing instead of the work I should be doing for the people that pay me to do something other than this.  I'll send you the excel sheet if I have a glaring error or omission and you would like to correct it, which is entirely possible given my Mississippi public school system education.  The cool thing for me is my team (Burningham) and my first cousin Perry's team (Pomona) finished in a tie.  No family bragging rights can be had until next year.

Capture.JPG.3601e2b817e31b06bb2cf67dfc740fae.JPG

My earlier post had an error - APOLOGIES!  The Supra beat Premium Dudes because Ludicrous passed Premium at the end. 

From the broadcast, the finishing position in the race breaks the ties

Edited by Racer28173

55 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

My earlier post had an error - APOLOGIES!  The Supra beat Premium Dudes because Ludicrous passed Premium at the end. 

From the broadcast, the finishing position in the race breaks the ties

Got it, I'll fix it and repost when I get a chance.  Or just wait until it is officially official and posted by an official.

3 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Andrew-

Were you in Nate's car, Robin's car(s), or both?

Both

or as @wvumtnbkr would say, "Bolth" 

Edited by red0