DuncanDana

RVA Graphics & Wraps ChampCar National Cahmpionship Final Results

On 6/19/2018 at 5:31 PM, TheJohnDavison said:

Welp, this ended up being a little bit longer than I thought it would be. Also, too lazy to proofread so my bad for any grammatical errors LOL:

Man, what an AWESOME Weekend! Yugee thanks to the Champcar staff and volunteers that put on the event.  The track also did a great job with hot pulls all weekend long!

As part of the Level One Racing #412 (Black/Orange) Miata team, we came in with an original goal of winning the A Class Championship...

The 412 Miata was really fast!!! I didn't get a chance to check it out.  What mods have you gus done to the car?  Which motor does it have?  Its a great car with great drivers.

Edited by Chris Shay
  • Thanks 1

GWR in car footage.  They had a good view of the lead pack Saturday as they moved to the front.  A LOT of good driving in this video from the front runners.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

NooB sensory overload/raceday situational awareness is not something that comes right away, all that can be done is neutrally talk to the other team and hope they are open to conversation.

Just hang back and wait for a blast around spot, be ready for anything then forget it all for 30 min till its time to pass em again.

"Wait for a blast around spot" is a fine idea ... if you aren't in a Miata haha :D

What works best for me is throwing it in (yet being predictable) in the brake zone or in corner entry and carry a lot of entry speed so I keep my min speed up and it doesn't kill my exit.  This tends to kill corner speed for the faster car and allows me to get a gap on the next straight so they don't pass back.  If I can't pass on corner entry, sometimes it is very hard to pass a car that scoots away on the straights if they kill my momentum.  This is why passing a car driving like the guys in the merc can be a pain in the ass lol.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, TheJohnDavison said:

"Wait for a blast around spot" is a fine idea ... if you aren't in a Miata haha :D

What works best for me is throwing it in (yet being predictable) in the brake zone or in corner entry and carry a lot of entry speed so I keep my min speed up and it doesn't kill my exit.  This tends to kill corner speed for the faster car and allows me to get a gap on the next straight so they don't pass back.  If I can't pass on corner entry, sometimes it is very hard to pass a car that scoots away on the straights if they kill my momentum.  This is why passing a car driving like the guys in the merc can be a pain in the ass lol.

It's always fun figuring out how to make the pass and make it stick.

The Fiero gets off the corner very well so I typically line things up for a straightaway pass. Breaking the other car's momentum into the next corner after the pass helps keep the position if I don't have enough gap.

In your scenario, I would defend by "offering" you only the inside line and do a crossover on exit if you squeezed by. My corner approach is a little slower because I maximize my exit grip, so I don't mind being a car length behind in the middle of the corner. By then I'm hard on the throttle and if I've timed it right, I'll have track space to go around when I catch you, watching you in the mirror as you mumble about slow cars with too much power. Killing my corner speed enough to cause me a problem probably won't have the effect you're hoping for but that's just my car. I use your technique whenever I can on others.

My car doesn't accelerate as well as it might seem, it just is able to start that process very early, and it's difficult for other cars to overcome that unless it's a long straight and they have noticably more power. 

I'm looking forward to driving the Honda, it's at the opposite end of the racecraft spectrum from the Fiero. I'll be switching to Miata tactics with a dash of FWD mixed in. :)

Edited by mender
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Chris Shay said:

The 412 Miata was really fast!!! I didn't get a chance to check it out.  What mods have you gus done to the car?  Which motor does it have?  It a great car with great drivers.

Man, I am the least mechanically inclined driver on the team. I only have two jobs. 1.) Don't touch anything. 2.) Drive the shit out of it lol.  I learned a few years back, if you play dumb enough, you never have to work on shit and friends feel inclined to help you and do it for you because they feel bad :D 

But, I think we are actually only at like 420 points or something, so we still have more room to play with, but don't want to sacrifice reliability.  Our car is about on par with some of the other Miatas in Florida. Not sure what power we are making, and we actually volunteered to go on the dyno at NCM, but I guess they were only doing the top 3.  The car weighs like 1950 pounds or something without the driver so it is significantly lighter than a spec miata which 3 of our 4 drivers race year round. 

Some of the other teams have switched to 99/vvt motors now that it is legal to swap, but ours is still an NA/1.8 motor with just your oem valve job getting rid of manufacturing defects (I believe), I don't know shit about motors so don't quote me lol. We have a cold air intake, ebay header, aluminum rad, 4.3 torsen, and that is really it.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Pictures from Tim Kruse Sports Photography:

LMK if you want higher res pictures.

I would like the high res pics please. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Chris Shay said:

Here is the video with the 412 Level 1 and the Ludicrous Speed MR2 driven by Chris Krumrai.  (not Chris Shay, or the other Chris that sometimes drives with us).

Thanks for the post Chris, that was a lot of fun to watch the different characteristics of the cars, especially when we hit that traffic around 14-15 minutes in. I got a black flag warning for the 'grass pass' on the Neon just after the 15 minute mark, which was non-intentional, I simply ran out of track and assumed we would still have pavement on that trajectory as we crested the hill, I was wrong. LOL! I'm glad we were able to talk our way out of the Black Flag it since it was truly a mistake due to lack of track knowledge. 

Thanks again for the post and the fun racing, your car is ludicrous fast, there is no doubt about it. 

• Like 3

On 6/27/2018 at 9:39 AM, Bremsen said:

What camera mount are you using?

Welded a tab to the cage then used the Go-Pro sticky mount for that video.  Forgot to turn off image stabilization which is why it moves around.  

For the phone and livestream we use the Bill Strong Special:

Battery – Buy from Amazon

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powercore-26800/A1277011

Cell phone – Galaxy S7 is my best unit so far vs S8 and S9.

Joby Griptight Pro Cell Phone Mount – Phone Mount. $29.95 at best Buy or from amazon

https://joby.com/phone-tripods-tablet-stands/griptight-pro-all/griptight-mount-pro

If phone is USB C – use these cables - https://www.amazon.com/SUNGUY-Aluminum-Braided-Charging-Samsung/dp/B077Q3QB85/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1528207004&sr=8-8&keywords=usb+90+degree

If Phone is USB Micro – Use these

https://www.amazon.com/SUNGUY-Reversible-Samsung-Motorola-Controller/dp/B01COTBJ2M/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1528207107&sr=8-19&keywords=usb+90+degree+micro

Clamp for cage 

https://www.amazon.com/UTEBIT-C-Clamps-Aluminum-Adjustable-Photography/dp/B06XNQ8G77/ref=pd_ybh_a_201?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W875HM2M9M5R44V04AW9

Or this clamp for smaller metal tabs that you weld to cage

https://www.amazon.com/PEDCO-PED05020-BRK-UltraClamp/dp/B000ABB4HC/ref=pd_ybh_a_211?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HCRWAMFQ38AMYR0TNAPA

• Like 5