New to all this

Heu every one I'm new to all this just lookin to get some info on a few things. I got a vehicle in mind but i want other ppls feed back on how they feel about pick up trucks racin seein as i have a 81 dodge it meets all the requirements far as weight and wheel base but  havent seen any and what all do you have to have to enter a vehicle or do you just have to fill out the champcar paper work

• Administrators

Welcome! I've seen two trucks in this series racing so no big deal to me. I think it's awesome to see the variety of what people can build and bring out. You will need to email Phil from Tech. His email can be found under Contact Us on the ChampCar page. Explain what you have and get his feedback. I recommend starting out with something you know how to work on as well.  Come out and volunteer at a race and see what other teams are doing as well. 

• Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, ZDCollins said:

Heu every one I'm new to all this just lookin to get some info on a few things. I got a vehicle in mind but i want other ppls feed back on how they feel about pick up trucks racin seein as i have a 81 dodge it meets all the requirements far as weight and wheel base but  havent seen any and what all do you have to have to enter a vehicle or do you just have to fill out the champcar paper work

Welcome, and a bit of advice to get you started...

Before "emailing Phil" (which seems to be the standard response around here - I'd hate to be Phil...), you should visit the main Champcar website, which can be accessed by clicking on the logo at the top of this page. Go to the Rules section, and get familiar with the Rules. 90% of your questions will be answered there. They describe vehicle prep, how to enter a race, rules for the race weekend, etc. 

Then visit the VPI (vehicle performance index) to see if the truck is listed there. After reading the rules, and getting familiar with our procedures, if you still have questions, you can address Phil from a more knowledgeable base. 

The forum members are always willing to share info. And as Tyler said, look at the schedule and come out to a race near you. It will be well worth the experience. You'll find that most teams will embrace you and try to help get you started. This is a great community of racers, the best you'll ever find! What area are you from?

Goid luck!

• Like 1

Full disclaimer, I'm in the process of buying/building for Champ car (I have yet to run in the series) but with that said, I did build and run a Chevy S10 pickup in Lemons for a few years, and we did very well. Don't let any haters (not saying people here are haters, just in general) say that leaf springs and the fact that it's "not a car" make you believe it can't race. Will it ever handle like and E46 BMW, no, but you can still make a fast, fun, road race machine out of one despite it's original purpose of being a truck.

I assume you have a D100/150? Slant 6, 318?

Edited by UglyBoost91
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ZDCollins said:

ohh is it a D50? please let it be... Stuff a 5.2 magnum in it and roll!

Thanks guys for all the feed back and just answer a few of the questions i live near Jacksonville NC and the truck is 91 dodge 150 single cab short bed with a slant 6 motor and 4 speed ive read theu most of the rules today durin what little free time ive had and im havin trouble is there a certin size fuel tank or what kind of material it has to made out of?? 

2 minutes ago, ZDCollins said:

Thanks guys for all the feed back and just answer a few of the questions i live near Jacksonville NC and the truck is 91 dodge 150 single cab short bed with a slant 6 motor and 4 speed ive read theu most of the rules today durin what little free time ive had and im havin trouble is there a certin size fuel tank or what kind of material it has to made out of?? 

you can use your stock tank, if you do I'd move it into the bed. If you use a fuel cell you can 2 gallons over. 

8 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

you can use your stock tank, if you do I'd move it into the bed. If you use a fuel cell you can 2 gallons over. 

Ok i know the fuel tank in has a hole in it so i was gonna use a 20 hard plastic one i got from summit and mount it in the bed and you mean i can only go 2 gallon over stock fuel tank size?

5 minutes ago, ZDCollins said:

Ok i know the fuel tank in has a hole in it so i was gonna use a 20 hard plastic one i got from summit and mount it in the bed and you mean i can only go 2 gallon over stock fuel tank size?

if you use a cell I think it has to be SFI not a cheap drag tank.  Your stock tank is likely 21 gallons.  I'd try and find a good tank at a yard or something. Are you going to use the 6? 

5 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

even in a pick up? seems silly as if you placed it in the bed area it would be even safer. 

Where in the rule book does it differentiate fuel systems for cars vs pickup?

Disclaimer: One of Infiniti is starting a pickup build, just had this conversation Saturday because it limits how far back he can place the cab ;)

Edited by Team Infiniti

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

Where in the rule book does it differentiate fuel systems for cars vs pickup?

Disclaimer: One of Infiniti is starting a pickup build, just had this conversation Saturday because it limits how far back he can place the cab ;)

If it's an automatic I know a guy they can talk too...

How's that fuel pump electrical wiring going Ed?

• Haha 1

Depending on your stock tank size...  the rules say you either run the stock tank in stock location or you can swap to a fuel cell, it must be an SFI fuel cell (plastic bladder with proper metal encasement - prepare to spend some money I just paid $1300 for a 18 gallon one from Fuel Safe at the beginning of the year)  On top of that, you are allow a surge tank setup that is a half gallon if my memory is correct.