Jump to content

Just got me a setup....time to do this thing


Jab31169
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ended up buying a computer off a computer hardware forum and getting a 27" dell gaming monitor.  Video card in it died after 2 days so i ended up buying a 1070ti.  I had a Logitech G920 that I bought previously for the xbox so I moved that upstairs.  Bought iRacing and I've been doing just practice sessions trying to get a feel for things but I need some folks on track.  Any way to find road racing beginner leagues that are not terrible.  Not really interested in running NASCAR or ovals.  I signed up for the champcar league in the hopes to get in some practice for VIR.  I bought Barber and VIR, anything else I should buy (Besides Rd ATL, Sebring)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jab31169 said:

Ended up buying a computer off a computer hardware forum and getting a 27" dell gaming monitor.  Video card in it died after 2 days so i ended up buying a 1070ti.  I had a Logitech G920 that I bought previously for the xbox so I moved that upstairs.  Bought iRacing and I've been doing just practice sessions trying to get a feel for things but I need some folks on track.  Any way to find road racing beginner leagues that are not terrible.  Not really interested in running NASCAR or ovals.  I signed up for the champcar league in the hopes to get in some practice for VIR.  I bought Barber and VIR, anything else I should buy (Besides Rd ATL, Sebring)

 

When you run VIR, turn the brightness down on the monitor to simulate the lack of track side lighting...  lol   the good news is we have been running the full instead of the grand course so that's like 12 less turns you have to memorize...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

Ended up buying a computer off a computer hardware forum and getting a 27" dell gaming monitor.  Video card in it died after 2 days so i ended up buying a 1070ti.  I had a Logitech G920 that I bought previously for the xbox so I moved that upstairs.  Bought iRacing and I've been doing just practice sessions trying to get a feel for things but I need some folks on track.  Any way to find road racing beginner leagues that are not terrible.  Not really interested in running NASCAR or ovals.  I signed up for the champcar league in the hopes to get in some practice for VIR.  I bought Barber and VIR, anything else I should buy (Besides Rd ATL, Sebring)

 

Can we set up some open practice sessions? I still have my account but have not been on in fo-eva. I might try to get some VIR practice in this weekend at my buddy's house with a couple of peeps.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

 

When you run VIR, turn the brightness down on the monitor to simulate the lack of track side lighting...  lol   the good news is we have been running the full instead of the grand course so that's like 12 less turns you have to memorize...

I've got it memorized, I just need more reps.  

 

I was blown away that iracing VIR  doesn't have the runoff coming off 3 and coming out of oak tree.

Edited by Jab31169
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

I've got it memorized, I just need more reps.  

 

I was blown away that iracing VIR  doesn't have the runoff coming off 3 and coming out of oak tree.

It's an old laser scan of the track from 8+ years ago.

 

Still, it doesn't matter too much as we aren't allowed to use those runoff areas during the race.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

VIR last year was my first race and I remember being told at the drivers meeting not to use the runoff after oak tree.  I think it was maybe the first lap when almost everyone in front and behind me used the run off.  I mean, they put it there for a reason right? 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the dark side @Jab31169! VIR 24 was my second ever endurance race - we really tried hard not to use that runoff. Tried..... Were you running that white E36 that Jack Joyner was driving? He was one of the instructors when I did the Porsche Driving School at Barber, was funny bumping into him on pit lane at a Chumpcar event.

 

The remaining events in the iRacing season are VIR, Sebring (twice), Road America, Auto Club, Barber, and Laguna Seca - I imagine these will all feature next season as well so it's at your discretion whether you purchase them now or not. RA and Sebring get used a bunch in various series, but I might hold off on Auto Club.

 

First practice round for VIR will be on July 19th so plenty of opportunity to prepare before the big race on August 2nd. For the 4 weeks before then, I'm going to host 4 smaller events for fun, each at a different European track, to have some racing at the tracks that we would not normally cover in a regular season.

 

For another rookie-friendly league, I also run the Reddit iRacing League - we run 4 seasons per year, with sessions every Sunday night at 8pm ET, using predominantly base (free) content, a few oval rounds but mainly road. Membership has a wide skill range but we're all friendly and lots of us are also involved in the ChampCar team, so we want to encourage members from this community to join us as well as running the Thursday championship. Coming to the end of our 2nd season this year, but I'll post the details in this forum when we plan to start the next.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Rapido said:

Welcome to the dark side @Jab31169! VIR 24 was my second ever endurance race - we really tried hard not to use that runoff. Tried..... Were you running that white E36 that Jack Joyner was driving? He was one of the instructors when I did the Porsche Driving School at Barber, was funny bumping into him on pit lane at a Chumpcar event.

 

The remaining events in the iRacing season are VIR, Sebring (twice), Road America, Auto Club, Barber, and Laguna Seca - I imagine these will all feature next season as well so it's at your discretion whether you purchase them now or not. RA and Sebring get used a bunch in various series, but I might hold off on Auto Club.

 

First practice round for VIR will be on July 19th so plenty of opportunity to prepare before the big race on August 2nd. For the 4 weeks before then, I'm going to host 4 smaller events for fun, each at a different European track, to have some racing at the tracks that we would not normally cover in a regular season.

 

For another rookie-friendly league, I also run the Reddit iRacing League - we run 4 seasons per year, with sessions every Sunday night at 8pm ET, using predominantly base (free) content, a few oval rounds but mainly road. Membership has a wide skill range but we're all friendly and lots of us are also involved in the ChampCar team, so we want to encourage members from this community to join us as well as running the Thursday championship. Coming to the end of our 2nd season this year, but I'll post the details in this forum when we plan to start the next.

 

Yes, that was me in the white e36.  I was a renter for Jack then, now I'm a co-owner with Jack and two other guys.

 

I'll check out the Reddit league.  I'll buy Sebring and RA when I get some time.  Thanks for the info!  See ya online at some point.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice, single monitor desk racers unite!

 

I would recommend trying to get that monitor as close to your wheel as possible, some sort of little stand or tray over your keyboard might help, otherwise your FOV will be quite a way off.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Rapido said:

Nice, single monitor desk racers unite!

 

I would recommend trying to get that monitor as close to your wheel as possible, some sort of little stand or tray over your keyboard might help, otherwise your FOV will be quite a way off.

 

To build on @Rapido comment, make sure to use the in sim FOV calculator. It's important to get it set correctly early in your 'career' otherwise you will need to unlearn it later. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Rapido said:

Nice, single monitor desk racers unite!

 

I would recommend trying to get that monitor as close to your wheel as possible, some sort of little stand or tray over your keyboard might help, otherwise your FOV will be quite a way off.

 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

 

To build on @Rapido comment, make sure to use the in sim FOV calculator. It's important to get it set correctly early in your 'career' otherwise you will need to unlearn it later. 

 

Can you elaborate on both of these comments a bit.  I don't doubt that you are correct, since both of you are experts in this space, but I'd like to better understand the reasoning so I can best translate it into action.  As background, I have tried iRacing twice now and ditched it both times because I felt like I had no sense of depth.  On my second attempt, I did a 3-monitor setup.  That helped some, but not enough.  I set the side monitors at about 45%, but my main monitor is a foot back from the wheel so maybe that is my problem.  Thanks in advance for the help!

 

Photos of “proper” single and three monitor setups could be helpful

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best way that FOV or Field of View made sense to me was that your monitor is a window pane looking out into the world.  The closer your face to that window the more world you can see through that window.  Now in settings we have a way to artificially allow more world to be seen through that window pane but that requires distorting the FOV to unnatural proportions.  This is why Rapido suggested brining your monitor as close as possible to your steering wheel in order to expand your view of the world without needing to distort it.  When you distort the view so you can see more the "feel" of the car and where you are placing it is also distorted.  You can drive that way and get used to it but the closer to undistorted you get the better the car "feels" when driving.  This is also why people go to 3 monitors as you are able to get a much bigger window pane to the world outside.  I have attached a pic of my rig so you can see how close I try to get my monitor to the back of my wheel.  I have nearly 170° of visibility.  In the iRacing forums there are great articles on FOV setup.  This is where I learned for mine.  Enjoy!

20170413_094049.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well said @JC_CRapshoot

 

@Racer28173 and @Jab31169 I'm traveling right now and only have a cell phone but I think the above post describes it better than I would have.  I'll look for some references next week if you guys still need some help. 

 

For what it's worth, I think I have my monitor 17 inches from my eyeballs. To set it correctly, just measure the distances the sim requires and let it compute the FOV. 

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure will! As long as the computer is good enough to support VR then that's definitely a great route. I've never tried it myself but those in our team who do say that it's definitely the way to go. Until you pull the trigger, make sure you use the iRacing FOV calculator when setting up your monitor, and you should be good to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

Well, this certainly helps a lot!   Did you build that pvc setup yourself?   How are you securing the monitors to it?   THANKS!

 

forgot to say:   That setup is awesome looking 

I did build that myself.  100% home depot sourced. I just used pipe hangars for the monitor mounting brackets and amazingly enough the holes were VESA spacing compliant!!!!

20180621_085029_sml.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ended up a good friend had a Oculus Rift setup never opened that I got on the cheap.  My wife might murder me but I'll take that chance. 

 

Had my first "Official" race last night at lime rock.  Qualified 2nd, opened up the race well, fell back to third.  Going up the back hill the 2nd place car was slow so I eased up, then he did the same thing going into the turn before the downhill and I was stuck to his rear bumper.  He got loose and I went with him right into the wall.  Limped it to the pits, got it fixed, got back up to 5th place before the end of the race.  Good fun for sure.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...