Jump to content

Cheaty/vague/rules stuff I want to talk about.


Evilwheel
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Technical Advisory Committee

I tried starting a new topic to get the diff talk out of the NCM thread, but perhaps I apologized to @Evilwheel a bit prematurely. As I just checked, you're the same guy that posted that stupid topic "click and see' that has wasted my time each time I was dumb enough to click on it, kind of like this topic....

 

edit: found the green font button...:)

Edited by mcoppola
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
31 minutes ago, Evilwheel said:

And I haven't a clue as to the green font, honestly need a clarification on that.    Not a digital person yet so I'm clueless as to the modern world.   Other than my DVR, don't touch my DVR !   :) 

Green font = sarcasm. 

Glad you didn't take me too seriosly. 😁

35 minutes ago, Evilwheel said:

Mehhh, lets take a vote then, who likes hyjacked threads more than "click and see"   ?

lol, maybe it's just that I don't get it... the click and see... 

 I too, hate hijacked threads, and tried to get the NCM thread back on track. 

By the way, great job out there with both your cars!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The section on lighting seems like it could use a refresh

 

"9.9.2.1.3. No vehicle may have mounted less than two (2) or more than four (4) headlights. A headlight is defined by the number of illuminating bulbs or sources – not by the housing."

 

Numerous cars run LED arrays where the number of sources is 6+ per housing.  Even some of the LED "headlight replacements" run multiple LED chips, which are multiple sources as well.

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, mcoppola said:

Green font = sarcasm. 

Glad you didn't take me too seriosly. 😁

lol, maybe it's just that I don't get it... the click and see... 

 I too, hate hijacked threads, and tried to get the NCM thread back on track. 

By the way, great job out there with both your cars!

 

 

Ahhh, sarcasm............. learned something, now I know..       Cool beans, all good !    :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

Idk, I find a few lines here and there (see fixed point value rows with more than one item like cam/valvetrain) a little hazy, but not bad. 

 

Where it seems to get hazy is in the actual application, the emailed rulings that aren't public and the "clarifications" we see from time to time. 

I agree, there should be more fixed point value items on the list, and they should be a little more specific.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

NOTE EDIT AT END

 

9.9.1. For Daytime Events: Headlights may remain in or on the vehicle, however all glass must be taped or covered during the event.

 

After the Watkins Glen event, I am questioning this rule as well (and once again will note that people were breaking it during that race).  The Sunday race was mostly rainy, and there were a few cars that were fortunate enough to have headlights that weren't covered up.  They ran their headlights throughout the rain, and it made it MUCH SAFER.  Everyone who didn't have lights were wishing they had lights, because only the guys with lights were able to work traffic well.  The rest of us were invisible to the cars we were closing on because of the ridiculous amount of spray (a lot of cars in that event).  Not only could you not see cars in your mirror, you couldn't even see them in front of you as you approached the inner loop.  More than once I had brake lights come on 50 feet in front of me and said "holy bleep - there is a car in that spray".  Wipers only let you see the spray better - you still couldn't see more than 50-100 feet at times.  I had the good fortune of having OEM brake lights so I was able to turn on my parking lights and make myself visible to cars behind me.  I didn't have headlights though.

 

I know I missed this year's petition season.  I didn't start looking at the lighting regulations until we started talking about one of the 24s (we haven't done a night race yet in this car, so no lights on it).  I think we should be allowed to run lights any time we want to, since you never know when a day race will include rain.  Its not like you will get "blinded" during the daytime.  Maybe the requirement for clear tape should stand for daytime races, because you don't need to get every lumen out of your lights under those conditions.  

 

EDIT!!

After having the exchange below, it occurs to me that I probably misunderstood the rule quoted above.  I took the word "covered" to mean "preventing light output" the way fog light covers do, but the fact that the word "or" is between "taped" and "covered" means that a less severe interpretation may be available.  If we are allowed to use the definition of taping from 9.9.6 that allows for clear tape, then there may be no problem here.

 

I don't believe that the guys running LED bars at WGI had them taped over, but I will have to let them comment

 

Edited by Racer28173
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

9.9.1. For Daytime Events: Headlights may remain in or on the vehicle, however all glass must be taped or covered during the event.

 

After the Watkins Glen event, I am questioning this rule as well (and once again will note that people were breaking it during that race).  The Sunday race was mostly rainy, and there were a few cars that were fortunate enough to have headlights that weren't covered up.  They ran their headlights throughout the rain, and it made it MUCH SAFER.  Everyone who didn't have lights were wishing they had lights, because only the guys with lights were able to work traffic well.  The rest of us were invisible to the cars we were closing on because of the ridiculous amount of spray (a lot of cars in that event).  Not only could you not see cars in your mirror, you couldn't even see them in front of you as you approached the inner loop.  More than once I had brake lights come on 50 feet in front of me and said "holy bleep - there is a car in that spray".  Wipers only let you see the spray better - you still couldn't see more than 50-100 feet at times.  I had the good fortune of having OEM brake lights so I was able to turn on my parking lights and make myself visible to cars behind me.  I didn't have headlights though.

 

I know I missed this year's petition season.  I didn't start looking at the lighting regulations until we started talking about one of the 24s (we haven't done a night race yet in this car, so no lights on it).  I think we should be allowed to run lights any time we want to, since you never know when a day race will include rain.  Its not like you will get "blinded" during the daytime.  Maybe the requirement for clear tape should stand for daytime races, because you don't need to get every lumen out of your lights under those conditions.  

 

 

 

 

@Racer28173 I agree. That was my 2nd big rain event and having lights was a huge benefit for safety. 

 

My car from now on will have headlights and running tail lights. May even just run them all the time. No real harm to have lights even in the day. A few LEDs won't have a big draw on the electrics. 

 

For what its worth, plastic headlight covers don't need to be taped over so they? Only glass ones?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

 

@Racer28173 I agree. That was my 2nd big rain event and having lights was a huge benefit for safety. 

 

My car from now on will have headlights and running tail lights. May even just run them all the time. No real harm to have lights even in the day. A few LEDs won't have a big draw on the electrics. 

 

For what its worth, plastic headlight covers don't need to be taped over so they? Only glass ones?

Glad to see that you had a similar experience.  I agree with your idea to run nominal LED lighting all of the time.

 

As to the last line in your post, it would appear that the rules currently require ALL lights (glass or otherwise) to be taped over during the daytime (although clear tape isn't specifically disallowed in the headlight section and is expressly approved for other lights, so maybe it can be used in both)

 

9.9.6. All glass and/or plastic taillight and brake light lenses that may be damaged from vehicle contact are to be taped over with clear packaging or other strong clear tape. Do not use Scotch tape.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ron_e said:

We always have working park lights, available to be turned on at a rain event.

We have the rears but not the fronts - will be putting them in though. Do you have yours taped up with clear tape?  Do you end up changing it out every year because it yellows, or is it pretty solid forever?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

We have the rears but not the fronts - will be putting them in though. Do you have yours taped up with clear tape?  Do you end up changing it out every year because it yellows, or is it pretty solid forever?

 

All taped, replace the tape every couple of years.  Even have a small strip of twelve LED's bent into a horseshoe shape on each side, these are not taped but will be clearly lit up at the Utah 24.

 

I find having the corner lights on at a night race is very helpful for other teams to know where the corners of your car are.

Edited by Ron_e
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2018 at 7:54 PM, Evilwheel said:

And I haven't a clue as to the green font, honestly need a clarification on that.    Not a digital person yet so I'm clueless as to the modern world.   Other than my DVR, don't touch my DVR !   :) 

I am can help with all that. Send me a PM with logins and passwords to whatever websites you have, especially financial. I will start educating you on all the digital things.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dimitri.mariutto said:

I am can help with all that. Send me a PM with logins and passwords to whatever websites you have, especially financial. I will start educating you on all the digital things.

 

He has a racecar.... like all of us.....so i am willing to bet anyone else trying to use his accounts would just slow down the spending....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...