Transponder Mounting

• Technical Advisory Committee

So, where do you mount your transponder?

wired or battery? 

Pros/cons?

my old one is in the front right corner, where the dryer bottle used to be.  I am worried it could be damaged in a front right bump though.  It also sits on top off the splitter, but that has never been an issue.

is there a safer place to mount it?  

Custom fabbed bracket or store bought job?

thanks

Batt unit as well, would prefer hard wired, but we still rent every race... (never had an issue with the rental units)

Mounted on the RF frame rail, inside face, behind radiator but in front of motor. Welded a tab down low and use 10-32 button heads to mount the plastic transponder bracket to the tab. 

Thought process was it is forward in the car, has a clear shot down to the ground, still has a little protection in the event of a decent front end hit. 

We used to rent but we jumped on a hard wired one back before Daytona.  Sounds like we've got ours mounted in the same place as everyone else almost.  RF Frame rail just in front of the tire.  Using the store bought bracket that's screwed, JB Welded, and Velcro strapped to the car.

Edited by Jab31169

I saw a team mount theirs inside the car in the passenger foot well.  Just need a hole in the floor is all.  Was certainly a revelation to us as we normally crawl under the car to get ours on!

Im thinking a simple mounting on the crash beam/seat brace that runs across the car would be perfect.

Edit:  Don't cut holes in your floor....

Edited by thewheelerZ
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, bbaker480 said:

Does anyone happen to know if the rental transponders are the "new" or "old" bracket?  

I'm pretty sure they're using the newer transponders and brackets.

Al (tech) gave me an old bracket last year, saying they weren't using them any more.

Edited by mcoppola

1 hour ago, mcoppola said:

The BCCR specifically states NOT to cut a hole in the floor. (in capital letters even)

Page 27 of the 2018 BCCR.

Hmmm, pretty interesting the information that you can find in that rule book eh...?!

A few points to be clear on:

1) Those on page 27 are just tips and recommendations... :ph34r::)

2) I didn't cut anything in the floor there is already a perfectly sized rust hole where I would put it anyways! :o

@bbaker480 I wondered the same thing when ordering a bracket online.  Figured I would just save on shipping so ordered one of both. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, enginerd said:

Why does everyone put their transponders in the wheel well? Aren't you concerned with debris damage? Or if you break a hub having the wheel rip the transponder off or destroy it?

Ours is far enough forward that if the wheel hits it we've got bigger problems.

Woohoo, was just bequeathed a TranX 260 DP hard-wired to use... guess I'll be wiring that up for use and will bring it to VIR. Sweet.

Hard wire peeps, do you dedicate this to it's own fused circuit? How does it work on pit stops when kill switch is powered off, when you turn power back on it just start pinging again? 

1 hour ago, pintodave said:

Woohoo, was just bequeathed a TranX 260 DP hard-wired to use... guess I'll be wiring that up for use and will bring it to VIR. Sweet.

Hard wire peeps, do you dedicate this to it's own fused circuit? How does it work on pit stops when kill switch is powered off, when you turn power back on it just start pinging again? 

Yes give it a 5a Keyed fused curcuit.  

It starts working as soon as it gets power.

mine is mounted now, chose frame rail.

CA4FBB47-1871-48AA-8C2A-CEF81434DFEC.jpeg

• Like 3

I had a hard-wired unit in the Mazda....  I had that got burned up....   I would love to have another one but they are getting expensive so I'll probably be renting for a while.  I had might on the inside frame rail of the font clip in front of the radiator.  Worked awesome, and being hard wired I mostly forgot about its existence.

On 6/24/2018 at 6:12 PM, pintodave said:

Ours is wired directly off the kill switch, should probably put in some kind of fuse as a CYA...but I'd also hate to have a fuse wiggle loose and kill the transponder in the middle of a race.