Aftermarket bumpers/body parts

As some of you may know, my car is hideously ugly. The front bumper has been hacked up many times for a number of different ducting setups and there just isn't much left of it. I desire to make my car somewhat better looking.

Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to get (intact) bumpers for my car. The ones I can find are used and super beat up. I did find one seller on ebay who sells new OEM style replacements, but for some reason they won't ship to my zip code. 

That said, will I incur a point penalty for an aftermarket bumper? How are people currently handling this? I'd like to avoid some extreme stupid looking F&F style bumper, something more subtle. Not doing this to try to gain some aero advantage (as we all know aftermarket bumpers aren't *really* effective aero components though manufacturers would like you to think that) I really just want to improve the appearance of my car.

That said, if any of you know where to get a new or nice condition stock looking front bumper for a 92 Mitsubishi Eclipse, let me know!

Looking at car-part there are a few in the charlotte area. If they are hard to find you might get a deal going with a place like miller (in charlotte area) to box up 2 of them so you have spares. 

Outside of that maybe look at similar sized vehicles. Those are flat shaped, right? Gen 1 rx7 bumper on mitzu.

The other option that works great is to rivet aluminum or bond it (with 3m 420) to the back side of your cracks. You can then bond the front of the crack, sort of sand it down and paint it a single color for better looks.

It is cracked, but there's just a lot of it missing that was cut away for ducts, clearance, etc. My car is a former stage rally car and as received it had 2 huge holes in the bumper for PIAA lights.  I'd rather not hackjob it even further as that will hurt the 'improve visual appearance' goal i'm going for.

Hacking a bumper from another car will also not help the visual appearance, IMO (especially with me doing it, I'm no body guy). I'd rather just get something stock that bolts on easily.

5 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

It is cracked, but there's just a lot of it missing that was cut away for ducts, clearance, etc. My car is a former stage rally car and as received it had 2 huge holes in the bumper for PIAA lights.  I'd rather not hackjob it even further as that will hurt the 'improve visual appearance' goal i'm going for.

Hacking a bumper from another car will also not help the visual appearance, IMO (especially with me doing it, I'm no body guy). I'd rather just get something stock that bolts on easily.

Check on the parts at miller. I will most likely do gingerman, if you are there i can bring whatever you buy.

I think they had 2 or 3 at miller (in Kannapolis,nc), there aren't many in the country period. I bet you can broker a deal for 2 or 3 under 300 bucks total.

Edited by Black Magic

1 hour ago, Slugworks Paul said:

As some of you may know, my car is hideously ugly. The front bumper has been hacked up many times for a number of different ducting setups and there just isn't much left of it. I desire to make my car somewhat better looking.

Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to get (intact) bumpers for my car. The ones I can find are used and super beat up. I did find one seller on ebay who sells new OEM style replacements, but for some reason they won't ship to my zip code. 

That said, will I incur a point penalty for an aftermarket bumper? How are people currently handling this? I'd like to avoid some extreme stupid looking F&F style bumper, something more subtle. Not doing this to try to gain some aero advantage (as we all know aftermarket bumpers aren't *really* effective aero components though manufacturers would like you to think that) I really just want to improve the appearance of my car.

That said, if any of you know where to get a new or nice condition stock looking front bumper for a 92 Mitsubishi Eclipse, let me know!

@elongoran might be able to chime in.. unless my eyes decieve me, he's got e36 plastic bumpers on his e30 (and they look a lot nicer than the e30 stuff!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Magic said:

Check on the parts at miller. I will most likely do gingerman, if you are there i can bring whatever you buy.

I think they had 2 or 3 at miller (in Kannapolis,nc), there aren't many in the country period. I bet you can broker a deal for 2 or 3 under 300 bucks total.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. There's under a dozen total bumpers for my car for sale in the country, and none of them appear to be near you. Most are vastly overpriced, as well and probably beat to crap.

52 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. There's under a dozen total bumpers for my car for sale in the country, and none of them appear to be near you. Most are vastly overpriced, as well and probably beat to crap.

Isn't yours a 92 eclipse? Is there a difference in turbo\non turbo? Miller has a few for $100 list as "a0", which if true should be decent.

But yards are sometimes sketchy, better get pics. Miller is ok, but not well organized.

Screenshot_2018-06-29-13-18-41.png

Edited by Black Magic

3 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

oooh I was searching for 'bumper cover' and not 'bumper assembly'

I should have mentioned, having spent too much of my life looking for odd stuff (wrx doors, neon abs parts, cts v driveshaft anyone?) I realized the naming convention is often terrible on the site. You basically have to look at everything with the word "bumper" and call to make sure what they have is what you want. 

Hope that helps. Just trying to save you some time and $ buy getting a bolt in part. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, elongoran said:

Can you comment on the original question?

On 6/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, Slugworks Paul said:

On 6/29/2018 at 10:08 AM, Slugworks Paul said:

I wouldn't care if you used aftermarket as long as it didn't have built-in big time aero adders, like a splitter or something, I realize some of those things do have a little aero work added, but I think if it is still close to stockish no one will care.

Here is my take...

If it looks stockish and uses similar to OEM materials, go for it.  No points.

If it is trying to incorporate ANY aero type device (chin spoiler, airdam, canards, etc..) it should probably count as 10 points.

Even if the attempt at aero is poor, it is still Aero.

• Like 1

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Here is my take...

If it is trying to incorporate ANY aero type device (chin spoiler, airdam, canards, etc..) it should probably count as 10 points.

Aero doesn't work at our speeds. It only Incorporates drag. Carry on. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Here is my take...

That, I'm pretty sure you can hang any cover on you want. Even from a different car. Pretty sure I saw a Miata w/ a solstice nose on it at one event. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, TiredBirds said:

That, I'm pretty sure you can hang any cover on you want. Even from a different car. Pretty sure I saw a Miata w/ a solstice nose on it at one event. 

Who remembers the Miata with the Camaro front end and working aero?? That was awesome!

• Technical Advisory Committee

Have you checked the original style replacement aftermarket  parts that body shops use ?  try Keystone ,LKQ or check a local body shop may try a Mitsubishi dealer body, shop maybe one of the guys has a stash of lightly abused on the cheap ..