Sign in to follow this  
Slugworks Paul

Aftermarket bumpers/body parts

Like a few others have said, if it isn't drastically different from stock or has aero built in some kind of way, buy it and put it on.  Nobody will care.  

Edited by Burningham

How about this one?

90MTECL2DBX-001.jpg

vs stock:

1992_mitsubishi_eclipse_2dr-hatchback_gs

And no, I don't plan on adding any other part from that gaudy body kit.

Edited by Slugworks Paul

^10pts.  That would have similar effect as an airdam forcing more air over/around the car with how low it goes compared to stock.

Doesn't that car have plenty of points to spare that you could just run a whatever front end with a proper effective splitter?  Chances are a 10 pt splitter would have a good overall impact on your cars speed.

• Thanks 1

Don't forget the Eagle Talon and Plymouth Laser when you are looking for used parts.  I would assume they vary a bit in looks but fit is likely very close.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:18 PM, NigelStu said:

^10pts.  That would have similar effect as an airdam forcing more air over/around the car with how low it goes compared to stock.

Doesn't that car have plenty of points to spare that you could just run a whatever front end with a proper effective splitter?  Chances are a 10 pt splitter would have a good overall impact on your cars speed.

I have a feeling that no matter what I do, an internet aerodynamics jockey will argue i'm trying to gain an aero advantage. 

I do not have really any points to spare, due to adding coolers and other more or less required items to make up for deficiencies with the platform.

Just now, Slugworks Paul said:

I have a feeling that no matter what I do, an internet aerodynamics jockey will argue i'm trying to gain an aero advantage. 

I do not have really any points to spare, due to adding coolers and other more or less required items to make up for deficiencies with the platform.

I understand your point.  

I sitll think anything that "looks" like an aero device should be points, even if it is not effective.  How would tech decide what is effective and what isnt?

That being said, you can replace body panels with similar / same materials for no points.  

Can you recreate a front bumper cover to look similar out of some material?  The MR2 was doing this for years before the 10 pt for front aero thing a rule.

2 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I understand your point.  

I sitll think anything that "looks" like an aero device should be points, even if it is not effective.  How would tech decide what is effective and what isnt?

That being said, you can replace body panels with similar / same materials for no points.  

Can you recreate a front bumper cover to look similar out of some material?  The MR2 was doing this for years before the 10 pt for front aero thing a rule.

I could tack on a bunch of plastic pieces to my front bumper to close up the giant holes that it's accumulated through the years, but I was afraid if I did that i'd also get dinged for a bunch of material cost.

9 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I could tack on a bunch of plastic pieces to my front bumper to close up the giant holes that it's accumulated through the years, but I was afraid if I did that i'd also get dinged for a bunch of material cost.

Id say do what ya gotta do and see where the chips fall.  I get tired of the petty stuff too that gets blown out of proportion on the forum.....

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

The MR2 was doing this for years before the 10 pt for front aero thing a rule.

What What What?!?!

Those front ends didn't even remotely resemble the stock MR2 front.

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

What What What?!?!

Those front ends didn't even remotely resemble the stock MR2 front.

yep.  At the time it didnt need to really resmeble exactly the part it was replacing.  You could hang a flat sheet of metal for a door as long as it was similar thickness.

Not throwing anything new out here.  I dont have a problem with it.  I thought it was pretty ingenious and not agains the rules at all.

Well, at least it was a unique interpretation that saved the team time and money and probably made the car look and perform worse....

Edited by wvumtnbkr

20 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

yep.  At the time it didnt need to really resmeble exactly the part it was replacing.  You could hang a flat sheet of metal for a door as long as it was similar thickness.

Not throwing anything new out here.  I dont have a problem with it.  I thought it was pretty ingenious and not agains the rules at all.

Well, at least it was a unique interpretation that saved the team time and money and probably made the car look and perform worse....

That was against the rules. It had to be (I believe) similar appearance (surface area, form) and similar thickess. In practice I actually witnessed a team get told that they couldn't skin the side of their car with sheet steel (even similar thickness) and were forced to buy a full set of doors, gut them, and then tack the skins to the side of the car. It was ridiculous. Of course I guess I'm not surprised that MR2 guys could do whatever (all while their base value plummeted)

Yet another case of extremely selective enforcement, I guess.

• Like 1

Make a tech committee question, what is acceptable body panel replacement criteria for jay to use when evaluating "stock replacement"  

Good to know aftermarket is good.

G boss have the entire body available. 

19 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Good to know aftermarket is good.

G boss have the entire body available. 

Only because the guys going in circles refuse to give up the past😛

7 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Only because the guys going in circles refuse to give up the past😛

I'm old school and have something prove. 😎

• Like 1