E. Tyler Pedersen

Nelson Ledges Race Recap & Videos

11 minutes ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

This event was our comeback from last year's failures. Again plagued with an early problem that it took some time to diagnose. Even after testing and practice it didn't show it's face. I think this event showed we have pace to keep up with the field and my off-season improvements made the car better. 

Aside of the fuel pump issue you guys were flat fast on track.  Lots of point bys from me.  

As team owner, one can spend a lot of time predicting maintenance intervals on these parts or just accept these one offs happen from time to time.  That’s ChampCar racing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Ball joints were the issue on the old track. with the new long stroke coil overs, I am certain that would not have been an issue. Maybe next year Ian can bring the MR2 and run the race.

Count me in to drive with Ian.

Some thoughts on my first Champcar weekend..........#219 Team Special Miata  

This was the team's second endurance race (we might have a new name at every race....just to keep everyone guessing) :) and it was my first race with CCES and Nelson Ledges.  Unfortunately our car expired while running 5th overall, and 2nd in class...............

Last weekend I was given the opportunity to run my first endurance race, and also my first wheel to wheel race in almost 8 years.  I was joining a team of young, seasoned, and very fast Spec Miata Drivers.  First off, I must thank Natalino and Jennifer for pulling this team & car together.  It was a serious flashback to racing days gone by for me!  While somewhat under prepared to the rule set, our 1.6L SM was pretty quick!  Secondly, outstanding preparation by V2 Motorsports, this car had almost everyone beat in the carousel.  It really was crazy fast through there...........Ralph and Mike build and prep great race cars!  Third, my team of drivers and crew; Natalino, Jennifer, Jordan, Alex, Jon, Emily amd Chris.  I thoroughly enjoyed using all of you as a benchmark.  Knowing we also had a SM Champion waiting to jump in the car, WOW!  The possible outcome makes our result even more disappointing.  Congrats to our sister team of SM drivers who recovered from a transmission failure to finish in the top 10.  I hope to come back! 

Finally many thank to ChampCar, Nelson Ledges, and all the other teams.............that was seriously the most entertaining weekend I've had in a car!  I drove during sunset which was less than ideal visibility.  Racing was tough, yet extremely clean, I will never forget it.

Unfortunately we had to learn a valuable lesson near midnight...........we thought we had a fan switch shut off causing our overheating issue.  In the haste to get back in the race we rushed a driver change and didn't find our real issue.  Unfortunately it was an accessory belt failure that finally cost us an engine.  Congrats to all the teams that were able to finish under those HOT conditions.  That heat was unbelievable!  Finally, watching other teams jump in to offer assistance when we broke...........WOW!!!!!  That was a pretty special moment.  

We lost this one.......but I'm pretty sure we arent done! 

One final funny thought, on grid I heard someone say, "1......2.......3 Miatas with nice paint jobs!"  Yes, they stayed that way!  Thanks!  We saw absolutely zero metal to metal contact.  Very Impressive!

Many Thanks!

Jeff Grabowski

A small part of #219 

crew.jpg

grid.jpg

over.jpg

Edited by (Jeff) HVT Racing
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, (Jeff) HVT Racing said:

Some thoughts on my first Champcar weekend..........#219 Team Special Miata  

This was the team's second endurance race (we might have a new name at every race....just to keep everyone guessing) :) and it was my first race with CCES and Nelson Ledges.  Unfortunately our car expired while running 5th overall, and 2nd in class...............

Last weekend I was given the opportunity to run my first endurance race, and also my first wheel to wheel race in almost 8 years.  I was joining a team of young, seasoned, and very fast Spec Miata Drivers.  First off, I must thank Natalino and Jennifer for pulling this team & car together.  It was a serious flashback to racing days gone by for me!  While somewhat under prepared to the rule set, our 1.6L SM was pretty quick!  Secondly, outstanding preparation by V2 Motorsports, this car had almost everyone beat in the carousel.  It really was crazy fast through there...........Ralph and Mike build and prep great race cars!  Third, my team of drivers and crew; Natalino, Jennifer, Jordan, Alex, Jon, Emily amd Chris.  I thoroughly enjoyed using all of you as a benchmark.  Knowing we also had a SM Champion waiting to jump in the car, WOW!  The possible outcome makes our result even more disappointing.  Congrats to our sister team of SM drivers who recovered from a transmission failure to finish in the top 10.  I hope to come back! 

Finally many thank to ChampCar, Nelson Ledges, and all the other teams.............that was seriously the most entertaining weekend I've had in a car!  I drove during sunset which was less than ideal visibility.  Racing was tough, yet extremely clean, I will never forget it.

Unfortunately we had to learn a valuable lesson near midnight...........we thought we had a fan switch shut off causing our overheating issue.  In the haste to get back in the race we rushed a driver change and didn't find our real issue.  Unfortunately it was an accessory belt failure that finally cost us an engine.  Congrats to all the teams that were able to finish under those HOT conditions.  That heat was unbelievable!  Finally, watching other teams jump in to offer assistance when we broke...........WOW!!!!!  That was a pretty special moment.  

We lost this one.......but I'm pretty sure we arent done! 

One final funny thought, on grid I heard someone say, "1......2.......3 Miatas with nice paint jobs!"  Yes, they stayed that way!  Thanks!  We saw absolutely zero metal to metal contact.  Very Impressive!

Many Thanks!

Jeff Grabowski

A small part of #219 

crew.jpg

grid.jpg

over.jpg

If you change your team name or number every race I will NEVER mention you in another race report.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Doc said:

If you change your team name or number every race I will NEVER mention you in another race report.

We will take that as an official recommendation!  Please understand, we need an official name!  This one doesn’t work.  Any ideas? 😁

38 minutes ago, (Jeff) HVT Racing said:

We will take that as an official recommendation!  Please understand, we need an official name!  This one doesn’t work.  Any ideas? 😁

No Name Motorsports

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mostmint said:

No Name Motorsports

Beat me to it. Darn it. 

Anonymous Racing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, (Jeff) HVT Racing said:

Funky Cold Medina works for me...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dogtired said:

Ooooo.... well racing cars is an aphrodisiac of sorts.... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FlorahDorah said:

Ooooo.... well racing cars is an aphrodisiac of sorts.... 

The like is for adding to dogs reference....

• Like 2

What a whirlwind.  We've been preparing for this even all year, and I was hoping I had learned enough in my days stage rallying to avoid the attrition monster.  We didn't get off to a great start.

Worked earlier than normal on Wednesday, the. Headed to the shop to pack the car.  It's been a hectic few weeks for everyone on the time, and we we're behind schedule on packing.  Suprise fuel system issues, and problems with my trailer meant we didn't actually hit the road until 5 AM after being awake a full 24 hours.

We drove straight through Thursday, sleeping in shifts in the back seat.  We made it from MN to the track at 8PM local time and quickly unloaded.

Friday started off on the same foot.  Old Gremlins had returned, and the car was back to being limited to 5500 rpm.  After playing swaptronics all morning while also trying not to limit practice time too much we narrowed it to either the coil, or the TPS, we swapped both, and finally the car was fixed just in time for the other half of the team to arrive for some practice time of their own, which was good as only 4 of our 6 drivers had ever driven the car in anger, and none of us had ever seen NL.  Night testing was awesome, and I had great fun pushing the car towards darkness.

Friday dawned and I felt ready as could be.  We were selected to start P1 which was awesome and scary, but with our most reliable driver in the car I hoped we would be fine.

2 uneventful ours later Mike got out of the car, and I got in, and started to turn up the wick.  I soon discovered that the heat, plus the short track layout meant that there was no time to rest between turns and our manual steering were going to be tiring.  20 minutes into my stint I overheated the car for the first time and got a 4000 rpm rev limit thanks to ECU safegaurds as punishment.  It took a few laps to discover that drafting on the front or back straight would immidiatly result in 240°+ coolant temps.  Careful to keep my nose in clean air, I continue ued to push until around an hour into my stint when I felt the car buck for the first time.  I ignored it, but 2 laps later a lapse in attention let me slip off line exiting the carrosel, and I got to mow the lawn.  Two trips to the pits to fix the splitter and I was back out, but the bucking was back worse than ever.  I made the call to put fuel in the car despite being yelled at by the whole crew that I couldn't possibly be out of fuel.  8 gallons went into the cell, and the bucking was fixed.  I was able to finish out my stint.

Mark got in the car, and spent over an hour turning quick laps, when another slip sent him on a trimming mission outside turn 5.  He came in and we shoveled the grass off the grill and he went back out, only to come back complaining of similar bucking to what I had felt.  We fueled the car, and again he finished out his stint without issue.

We made the decision to switch to 1 hour stints due to the heat, and the need to fuel the car every hour.  The next three drivers went nearly problem free save for shunt in T12 with the Purple Gulf.  I haven't reviewed video yet, and our driver claims he easily had the line, but in any event I apologise for any damage, or problems we caused.  All we have is a scuffed wheel to show for it, so it can't have been that bad.

With all of the driver at least one stint in, Mike got back in the car.  Everything seemed fine until he radio'd in saying the car was dead.  Said it made noise, then shut down.  Fearing the worst, we pushed to the paddock and started looking her over.  The oil was full and clean, not overheating, and didn't have any leaks.  Hitting the starter, it sounded like the solenoid had failed.  The crankshaft did not turn.  We tried a push start, and still the crank did not turn.  I made the call to pull the gearbox.  As soon as it was out, I discovered that all the flywheel bolts had sheared.  The crankshaft, as well as the flywheel was damaged, and I released we did not have any spare flywheel bolts.  Shallow head 12 x 1.25 bolts are a rare bird, so our spare engine, flywheel, clutch, and gearbox were just useless metal in the truck, and no stores were open at 10 PM, so we called it, and packed up.

I'm glad everyone got to drive at least once, and I really enjoyed the track.  I had an amazing time, even with all the sleep deprivation and heat, I would totally do it again.

I had the most fun toying with MostMint.  That car is Dialed in, and the disappearing line trick you pulled on me in 12/13 was amazing.  I didn't even understand what had happened until I got to see you do it to someone else while I was following.  Even if I got passed it made my day.  I hope it's visible I. The video I have.

Thanks to all the corner workers, the track, Champcar, and all the competitors.

IMG_20180630_211121454.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Jab31169 said:

Holy crap!  How does that even happen?

Someone, most definitely certainly not me reused the "one time use only" flywheel bolts for at least the third time when the engine was installed this spring......

And that same person, also seriously not me, ordered ARP flywheel bolts last night.....

That same someone has surmised that the constant heat cycling of the flywheel over stressed them.  Really, not me, promise.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

What a whirlwind.  We've been preparing for this even all year, and I was hoping I had learned enough in my days stage rallying to avoid the attrition monster.  We didn't get off to a great start.

Worked earlier than normal on Wednesday, the. Headed to the shop to pack the car.  It's been a hectic few weeks for everyone on the time, and we we're behind schedule on packing.  Suprise fuel system issues, and problems with my trailer meant we didn't actually hit the road until 5 AM after being awake a full 24 hours.

We drove straight through Thursday, sleeping in shifts in the back seat.  We made it from MN to the track at 8PM local time and quickly unloaded.

Friday started off on the same foot.  Old Gremlins had returned, and the car was back to being limited to 5500 rpm.  After playing swaptronics all morning while also trying not to limit practice time too much we narrowed it to either the coil, or the TPS, we swapped both, and finally the car was fixed just in time for the other half of the team to arrive for some practice time of their own, which was good as only 4 of our 6 drivers had ever driven the car in anger, and none of us had ever seen NL.  Night testing was awesome, and I had great fun pushing the car towards darkness.

Friday dawned and I felt ready as could be.  We were selected to start P1 which was awesome and scary, but with our most reliable driver in the car I hoped we would be fine.

2 uneventful ours later Mike got out of the car, and I got in, and started to turn up the wick.  I soon discovered that the heat, plus the short track layout meant that there was no time to rest between turns and our manual steering were going to be tiring.  20 minutes into my stint I overheated the car for the first time and got a 4000 rpm rev limit thanks to ECU safegaurds as punishment.  It took a few laps to discover that drafting on the front or back straight would immidiatly result in 240°+ coolant temps.  Careful to keep my nose in clean air, I continue ued to push until around an hour into my stint when I felt the car buck for the first time.  I ignored it, but 2 laps later a lapse in attention let me slip off line exiting the carrosel, and I got to mow the lawn.  Two trips to the pits to fix the splitter and I was back out, but the bucking was back worse than ever.  I made the call to put fuel in the car despite being yelled at by the whole crew that I couldn't possibly be out of fuel.  8 gallons went into the cell, and the bucking was fixed.  I was able to finish out my stint.

Mark got in the car, and spent over an hour turning quick laps, when another slip sent him on a trimming mission outside turn 5.  He came in and we shoveled the grass off the grill and he went back out, only to come back complaining of similar bucking to what I had felt.  We fueled the car, and again he finished out his stint without issue.

We made the decision to switch to 1 hour stints due to the heat, and the need to fuel the car every hour.  The next three drivers went nearly problem free save for shunt in T12 with the Purple Gulf.  I haven't reviewed video yet, and our driver claims he easily had the line, but in any event I apologise for any damage, or problems we caused.  All we have is a scuffed wheel to show for it, so it can't have been that bad.

With all of the driver at least one stint in, Mike got back in the car.  Everything seemed fine until he radio'd in saying the car was dead.  Said it made noise, then shut down.  Fearing the worst, we pushed to the paddock and started looking her over.  The oil was full and clean, not overheating, and didn't have any leaks.  Hitting the starter, it sounded like the solenoid had failed.  The crankshaft did not turn.  We tried a push start, and still the crank did not turn.  I made the call to pull the gearbox.  As soon as it was out, I discovered that all the flywheel bolts had sheared.  The crankshaft, as well as the flywheel was damaged, and I released we did not have any spare flywheel bolts.  Shallow head 12 x 1.25 bolts are a rare bird, so our spare engine, flywheel, clutch, and gearbox were just useless metal in the truck, and no stores were open at 10 PM, so we called it, and packed up.

I'm glad everyone got to drive at least once, and I really enjoyed the track.  I had an amazing time, even with all the sleep deprivation and heat, I would totally do it again.

I had the most fun toying with MostMint.  That car is Dialed in, and the disappearing line trick you pulled on me in 12/13 was amazing.  I didn't even understand what had happened until I got to see you do it to someone else while I was following.  Even if I got passed it made my day.  I hope it's visible I. The video I have.

Thanks to all the corner workers, the track, Champcar, and all the competitors.

IMG_20180630_211121454.jpg

What exactly was going on with your car on Friday? It sounded like they moved the firing range that is down the road to the entrance of turn 12

Edited by Kentite

20 hours ago, dogtired said:

The Green Manalishi (with the Two Prong Crown)

Because I'm drinking, not so heavily, but enough....

33 minutes ago, Kentite said:

What exactly was going on with your car on Friday? It sounded like they moved the firing range that is down the road to the entrance of turn 12

It always does that.  The overrun fuel cut is set with a slight delay.  It helped with on-off-on throttle delay I had issues with when it was set up for gravel.

I've been meaning to tune it back out, but I've been told by corner workers that it's quite entertaining.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Someone, most definitely certainly not me reused the "one time use only" flywheel bolts for at least the third time when the engine was installed this spring......

And that same person, also seriously not me, ordered ARP flywheel bolts last night.....

That same someone has surmised that the constant heat cycling of the flywheel over stressed them.  Really, not me, promise.

Do you race the blue 240sx ? 

5 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

I seriously doubt that the flywheel or crankshaft gets hot enough to have any impact on the life of those fasteners... can you take some high res pictures of the broken surfaces and post them? Can help diagnose the issue.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I seriously doubt that the flywheel or crankshaft gets hot enough to have any impact on the life of those fasteners... can you take some high res pictures of the broken surfaces and post them? Can help diagnose the issue.

They're listed as Do Not ReUse in the service manual, they're not torque to yeild, but I'm sure some stretching happens.  Stretch them a few times over a few years, then get them really hot and stretch them a bit more.

They were torqued and threadlocked before Road America this spring, so they had probably 35+ hours of racing since last torque,and theres no evidence of prolonged looseness on the flywheel.  Holes are not oblonged, and the threads are not mashed.  All the bolt heads we're still In their holes when we pulled the gearbox.

Also, that flywheel was HOT.  So hot that over an hour after being removed, and sitting on the tailgate of the truck, it was still too hot to carry without gloves.....

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 12:12 PM, red0 said:

Your car looked like a rocket ship, I think it has the pace to keep up with just about any car. 

It didn't just look like a rocket ship, it was one.  So much fun to drive.  

On 7/3/2018 at 11:59 AM, Crank Yankers Racing said:

I think this event showed we have pace to keep up with the field and my off-season improvements made the car better. 

Understatement of the year.  

On 7/3/2018 at 8:43 AM, Kentite said:

Not that I had any doubt any of these cars could get the job done, but it is very contrary to the idea that it takes a 6 cylinder BMW, MR2 or SC300 to be competitive.

There were no MR2s or SC300s at the race.  

On 7/3/2018 at 12:15 PM, mostmint said:

Aside of the fuel pump issue you guys were flat fast on track.  Lots of point bys from me.  

As team owner, one can spend a lot of time predicting maintenance intervals on these parts or just accept these one offs happen from time to time.  That’s ChampCar racing.

I was amazed at how fast that Saturn was.  You guys were wheeling that car.  

On 7/3/2018 at 4:14 PM, (Jeff) HVT Racing said:

grid.jpg

Who was driving the #256?  That was the only car that passed me all weekend.  But I got to pass them back 3 laps later thanks to some help with traffic.  That car was fast and well driven.  

Edited by skierman64

7 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Yes.

Thought I recognized that view , back of engine , sorry I did not have time to come over and check Y'all out ..p