E. Tyler Pedersen

Nelson Ledges Race Recap & Videos

3 hours ago, skierman64 said:

Who was driving the #256?  That was the only car that passed me all weekend.  But I got to pass them back 3 laps later thanks to some help with traffic.  That car was fast and well driven.   

#256 had five SCCA Majors Spec Miata drivers in it.  I believe the fastest laps were turned by Justin Hille and the owner Mike Novak.  I know both of them turned laps in the low to mid 17s. Justin is the 2016 SM National Champion. 

Edited by (Jeff) HVT Racing
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, (Jeff) HVT Racing said:

#256 had five SCCA Majors Spec Miata drivers in it.  I believe the fastest laps were turned by Justin Hille and the owner Mike Novak.  I know both of them turned laps in the low to mid 17s. Justin is the 2016 SM National Champion. 

That is why I love this series!  So much diversity in driving backgrounds!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, (Jeff) HVT Racing said:

Wow and more wow !!

First off, big thank you to all the Champcar and Nelson Ledges staff, was one of the most fun race weekends I've had in awhile, despite all the problems we had....

Loaded the car Wednesday night after some last minute wiring and light aiming, then went to work building a cool suit system for the pits (so glad I did that!).

20180627_214945_small.thumb.jpg.89bfee5345462a2e2ccbd0598de4fe29.jpg

With the car and some tires loaded, the bigger trailer was full, so we spent Thursday morning loading the smaller enclosed trailer with all the support gear, then were on the road by 3 and at the track before dark in time to set up our paddock. 

Friday gave us our first taste of Ledges. Lee, John and Jay had all studied up a bit, but for me it was cling to the back of a slower car and figure it out. This place is a blast to drive and has a real nice flow once you get the hang of it. By the end of my practice stint I had dippped into the 1:18's a couple times! Practice didnt come without issues though, mid morning @NigelStu walked over to tell us that it looked like we had a rear wheel about to come off. Brought the car in and sure enough, the upper rear control arm's ball joint stud had worked its way out of the rear upright and was being retained only by the freshly "machined" (read ruined) wheel. Luckily we brought spares and made it back out for each driver to have a chance at the evening practice. 

20180629_202229_small.thumb.jpg.da5fc574881ef208a5a89bf3ccd4902a.jpg

Race day! 

With everyone having gotten a decent nights sleep (and only a couple too many brews the night before), we were excited to dive into our first real race. John was in the car first as he has the most wheel to wheel experience and knows how to keep a car alive. We started 5th or so (not quite sure now) and quickly settled into the top 10 for the first few laps. A bit too much throttle out of turn 13 on lap 5 put it around and squarely in the way of a Miata (sorry!!!!). A quick drive through to check for damage and we were back out for another hour, with a peak of 28th place overall. 

With it being our first race and all, we decided to play it safe and bring the car in for fuel and driver around 11:15-11:30. Out came John, in went Lee, 8 or 9 gallons of fuel and back out. Lee's times started dropping pretty quickly, till his 10th lap when a cool suit related distraction sent him off and into some tires. @Bill Strong came over for an interview while our lead crew member Phil did what he could about the front end damage. Next few laps were uneventful until sometime on lap 86/87 when the power steering pulley decided it had enough and ejected itself, taking the serpentine belt with it. For those that don't know, GM seems to have a thing for press fitting their power steering pulleys. We didn't know either and spent awhile trying to break loose an internal hex drive (turns out that is part of the shaft) while the rest of our crew went out to find parts. First pulley was wrong and after some searching we found the right one at Summit, so John decided it was his turn in the AC and drove over to pick it up.

Nearly 4 hours later and the car was back together and it was time for me to strap in. At this point late in the afternoon the cooling was having trouble keeping up, which had me doing what I could to keep it in cold air and keeping the revs under 5000 except when I needed to drop it down to 3rd to make a pass happen. Aside from the cooling, some vibration under braking, and the cool suit sloshing all it's water out every time I went through turn 1, my stint was rather uneventful until about an hour in when I got a black flag. Our car had been reported as smoking, which we attributed to the sloshing cool suit. We went ahead and fueled and put Jay in the car. Jay went out and laid down our fastest laps of the weekend, getting as low as a 1:16.958 before another black flag for smoke brought us in again. This time we were pretty sure it was more than just some boiling cool suit water, so back to the paddock we went to find out what was up. 

With it up on the stands we found the trans tunnel coated in fluid, looked like the output shaft seal on the trans had went (a known but thought to be solved issue with our car), so we set to work finding a seal in stock and sending John to Summit again. With being so far down the order at this point we decided to take a our time and try to make sure the car and ourselves were as ready as we could be before strapping Lee back in and sending him out again. The new seal went in smoothly but all 3 seals we had gotten seemed a tad loose on the yoke. Thinking "that's probably how its supposed to be", we sent Lee out for some night time driving. 20 laps later it was leaking even worse than before, enough to leave a few drops on the ground in our pit box. Fearing the worse, we decided to throw in the towel, brought the car back to the paddock, had a few beers, watched most of the field turn their suits brown when a few cars went off in the Kink around 2-3 AM, then got some sleep. 

Sunday morning brought a bit of a surprise, seeing as how we were the only "D" class entry, they wanted us in impound. I wouldn't really say we "won" but we fought hard, and Mike liked our attitude of "screw the laps, let's run in D", and decided to let us come up and have a trophy. 

In hindsight we should have had someone suit up and cross the finish line with it (cold trans would probably leak less right?), but we didnt think of it in time. We kicked ourselves pretty hard at the time for having not brought spare trans seals as it was a known issue. In the past couple days we've learned a good bit about our T56, and seeing as how we need to change the output bushing and the yoke too, I think we made the right call to pack it up when we did. The whole team had a blast, and we're looking forward to giving it another try at Gingerman later this year.

Congratulations to all the winners and everyone that finished, and thank you to our awesome family and friends that came out to support us!

received_1764759450277549.thumb.jpeg.5c360f13b356ca917a3a3136030885d4.jpeg

Edited by Wittenauer Racing
  • Like 8

I gather by the name of this thread I should have posted my video here instead of the other thread.  

Here you go, same one I posted on Monday, this is 5:30p to 6:10p Saturday eve.  Crank Yankers E30.  

Edited by skierman64
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lm11m said:

Curious as to what GM engine powered the winning RX7 ?

3400 out of a 97 Chevy venture minivan to be exact.

The 3.4 (in the camaro)  sucks in comparison.

Feel free to message me with questions.

Troy said my motor sounded like it was about to blow up in pre grid...  it does have a rattle that sounds like a rod about to go...

It lasted and still sounds like that.  It quiets down once warm.  I'm thinking lifter.  Who cares!

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Troy said my motor sounded like it was about to blow up in pre grid...  it does have a rattle that sounds like a rod about to go...

It lasted and still sounds like that.  It quiets down once warm.  I'm thinking lifter.  Who cares!

We’ve had the same noise in ours for 3 years. Even rebuilt the lifters. Never went away, never had an issue. Although we may have burned some valves when the car leaned out enough to burn off the front exhaust pipe...

7 hours ago, Kentite said:

We’ve had the same noise in ours for 3 years. Even rebuilt the lifters. Never went away, never had an issue. Although we may have burned some valves when the car leaned out enough to burn off the front exhaust pipe...

Conveniently you guys are only probably 45 minutes from a spare engine regardless of the track you are at with those things...

• Like 2

We ran a 3400 out of a 2002 Grand Am in our Citation once.  That motor was awesome!

Edited by Jer

Docs race report write-up is done., I am just a bit behind because of other work, i'll have it up this weekend

• Thanks 1

So today it’s 72 and sunny and high tomorrow 78.  We have to work on getting this perfect weather to line up with the race weekend!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mostmint said:

So today it’s 72 and sunny and high tomorrow 78.  We have to work on getting this perfect weather to line up with the race weekend!

right?!  Hey great job BTW.  You guys rock that Saturn!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mostmint said:

:)  We've had 3+ inches of rain since the weekend though, NL might be a bit soggier than it was...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tommytipover said:

:)  We've had 3+ inches of rain since the weekend though, NL might be a bit soggier than it was...

OH my!  Does anyone remember 2009?  holy crap mud city!!!

On 7/5/2018 at 8:38 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

Piston slap.

My 5.3 does it as well. Still sounds like a late model at 5800.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Piston slap.

My 5.3 does it as well. Still sounds like a late model at 5800.

Ours sounds like an old school Busch car.  I love it!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 2:01 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

Sweet!  I'm dying to see it!

That would make 2 of us....

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Ours sounds like an old school Busch car.  I love it!

V8 for life.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:38 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

On 7/5/2018 at 10:22 PM, Kentite said:

We’ve had the same noise in ours for 3 years. Even rebuilt the lifters. Never went away, never had an issue.

Only noisy when cold? See below.

12 hours ago, Bandit said:

Piston slap.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Harmless and very normal for this series/vintage engine to sound awful for the first few min after coldstart, GM even teflon coated the piston skirts!

• Thanks 2

On 7/6/2018 at 10:45 AM, Bill Strong said:

Docs race report write-up is done., I am just a bit behind because of other work, i'll have it up this weekend

Where's the write up?

Just asking........................................................................

On 7/6/2018 at 11:48 AM, Jer said:

We ran a 3400 out of a 2002 Grand Am in our Citation once.  That motor was awesome!

But how was the car?  I can't imagine it handling very well.  

8 hours ago, Ian Moone said:

Where's the write up?

Just asking........................................................................

OK...we are up to 3 of us...