Age Requirement

Racer7x

• Technical Advisory Committee
34 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

Read the rules and it just specifies a minor...

I'd assume a 14yr old late model driver would be OK with parental consent?

14 year old kids have raced in the series before, but they had a good karting background which is more applicable than late models. This included NY where IIRC they had to have special consent and the parents were not allowed to leave the event or something. 

Mike C. should be able to help you out. 

Yes track dependent.  Watkins Glen requires you to either be 18 or emancipated (yes, I know a guy who did this for his kid so they could race there).  We've raced in NJ, CT, NH, WV, OH and all were based on the club, no state requirement.  I have a suspicion that Daytona would be 18 or older considering who owns both tracks.

Most tracks don't require it as long as the club hosting the event allows it.  The youngest most clubs will allow is 14 when you look at clubs hosting events nationally, local oval's are different, they're local.

Champ has allowed it, but I don't gather they advertise it.  Older rule books listed 14 years old, but now it is more vague.  It would appear it is on a case by case basis.  Talk to Mike.

The leap from karts to cars is not as easy as it looks.  The cars react slower and are less fussy than a kart, but there are more things going in a car.  Having watched both my kids do it, learning to race is harder than learning to drive, but you do need both to be fast.  Don't know anything about late models, I suspect there is a similar bunch of things to figure out (like turning right and shifting).

How tall is the kid?  My 5'-9" 15 year old has no issue going most all places as people don't question his age.

At VIR they will be checking for wristbands.  No wristband, no cold side.  No cold side, no hot side.  I've been denied access to VIR pits because I was wearing shorts.

What we did because we had some kids with us, was to set up our pit area at the back side so we were up against the fence.  We could talk through it at least and it let our pit-stall mates have the front area.

I only know about New York State & Watkins Glen.

During events at Watkins Glen is standard policy that no one under the age of 18 is allowed to compete in any series.

Any exception to the policy that would allow a minor to compete at this facility would require a Court Order determining that the disabilities of minority are removed  and recognizing the capacity of the minor individual in question to execute contracts in New York and to execute waivers/releases of liability and to compromise claims.

This order needs to be issued by a New York State court and needs to reference;

Watkins Glen International, the date of the event and the waiver procedures for the event.

The minor needs an order of emancipation or similar judicial decision from the minors home state or country and that has to be presented to a New York State Court for consideration.  This can and has been done before for professional races that I know of and has costs attached to it.  There are lawyers in the Glen area that have done this and understand what is needed.  

1 hour ago, MMiskoe said:

How tall is the kid?  My 5'-9" 15 year old has no issue going most all places as people don't question his age.

At VIR they will be checking for wristbands.  No wristband, no cold side.  No cold side, no hot side.  I've been denied access to VIR pits because I was wearing shorts.

What we did because we had some kids with us, was to set up our pit area at the back side so we were up against the fence.  We could talk through it at least and it let our pit-stall mates have the front 

If your kid is under age and is not suppose to be in a restricted area why would you expose the club and track to  a liability?    We already have enough rules & restrictions.

13 hours ago, DEE DEE said:

If your kid is under age and is not suppose to be in a restricted area why would you expose the club and track to  a liability?    We already have enough rules & restrictions.

I was marshaling one time when team hangers on were taking selfies during refueling with an infant.  I'm sure the 2' high wall between hot/cold was a force field.     I had to pick my jaw off the ground before I could yell at them.

Edited by mcewena

1 hour ago, mcewena said:

I was marshaling one time when team hangers on were taking selfies during refueling with an infant.  I'm sure the 2' high wall between hot/cold was a force field.     I had to pick my jaw off the ground before I could yell at them.

This is the reason why the age restriction is not really the issue.  It isn't the age, it's the decision making.  Not the infant's fault that he/she has parents who have a risk tolerance different than most.

Who do you want in the pit lane when poop goes south and you need someone to jump in and run an extinguisher, yank you out of the car or lift the car off your foot?  My 14 year old who is as tall as I am, but stronger, fitter, more agile or my 80 year old father?  Simple choice.

The age restrictions are written by someone far away and un-involved with the situation at hand.  Doesn't matter what age the person is, it is all to do with their decision making abilities.  Just because you turn 18 doesn't mean you've now become "responsible".

• Like 1

Miskoe I could have  lengthy response to your comment but.......I'll just say that  you seem out of touch with liability issues.   Please don't skirt the rules of ChampCar or the tracks we race at on the age requirements, it does no one any good and my lead to even more restrictions by those "far away and un-involved" .

1 hour ago, MMiskoe said:

This is the reason why the age restriction is not really the issue.  It isn't the age, it's the decision making.  Not the infant's fault that he/she has parents who have a risk tolerance different than most.

Who do you want in the pit lane when poop goes south and you need someone to jump in and run an extinguisher, yank you out of the car or lift the car off your foot?  My 14 year old who is as tall as I am, but stronger, fitter, more agile or my 80 year old father?  Simple choice.

The age restrictions are written by someone far away and un-involved with the situation at hand.  Doesn't matter what age the person is, it is all to do with their decision making abilities.  Just because you turn 18 doesn't mean you've now become "responsible".

Liability aside, I think I'd rather have my 77 year old father jack the car up than my 14 year old cousin pull on my foot until someone shows up to help him.  I understand your thought process but in this case I'd rather take my chances with experience and clear thinking over strength and agility. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bbaker480 said:

Liability aside, I think I'd rather have my 77 year old father jack the car up than my 14 year old cousin pull on my foot until someone shows up to help him.  I understand your thought process but in this case I'd rather take my chances with experience and clear thinking over strength and agility. 

My 85 year old father can still arm wrestle me and I'm not weak! :)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bbaker480 said:

You should come race w/ my family, might sway your opinion.

Dee Dee - not trying to pick a fight or get more rules made, just saying that it is all relative.  All situation dependent.

2.4.5. Drivers under 18 years of age may compete if all the following conditions are met: 

2.4.5.1. The minor driver’s parent or legal guardian must be present at the event. Legal Guardian must present a copy of his or her court-ordered status as legal guardian.

2.4.5.2. The minor driver’s parent or legal guardian must sign a waiver of liability form on behalf of and covering their child competing in the event (form available from ChampCar).

2.4.5.3. The parent or legal guardian must be present at all times the minor is on track, including the driving surface and the “hot pit.”

2.4.5.4. The Event Director may limit the number of minor drivers allowed to compete at any event.

2.4.6. Any individual 16 years of age or older may be a crew member in the “hot pit” area, but only if all the following conditions are met:

2.4.6.1. The minor crew member’s parent or legal guardian must be present at the event. Legal Guardian must present a copy of his or her court-ordered status as legal guardian.

2.4.6.2. The minor crew member’s parent or legal guardian must be present to sign a waiver of liability form on behalf of and covering their child serving as a crew member (form available from ChampCar).

2.4.6.3. The minor crew member’s parent or legal guardian must be present at all times the minor is on track, including the driving surface and the “hot pit.”

2.4.6.4. The Event Director may limit the number of minors allowed to crew at any event. The track may restrict “Hot Pit” areas to those over 18 at certain events; if so, the information will be in the Supplemental Rules for each event.