Sign in to follow this  
Kentite

Trailer Tire/Storage Rack Ideas

We have an all steel open car trailer. I’d like to build a tire rack and maybe storage for some fuel jugs and splitters. Anyone have thoughts on materials? I’d like to balance strength with weight. Assuming I stick a couple hundred pounds of rack, tires and other stuff on the nose I could roll the car back a little and have 2’-3’ feet of depth to work with. 

637321720_rackpic2.thumb.PNG.aeb3b3b3f295d51946e6e344cfbd5299.PNG

The top-most cross tube is 60" off the deck (chose this to balance tire height/car clearance with additional aero drag, this set up lost me ~1mpg). 

The 1-1/2" square tube is perfect because it fits just right inside of a standard stake pocket.

3" of square tube stick down inside the stake pocket to give it some support as well. 

I think i did the whole job with roughly 4 x 20' sticks (but make sure you make your own measurements :) ).

I chose the gap between the bars based on my tire height and any future tire I might race with (22.5" currently, but I threw a 25" tall tire on there and it still fit). 

To hold the tires, i had some pipe laying around the property that I installed locks on the end, the plate is material from a spare e30 trunk.

The assembly is very stiff and looks funny when I'm going down the road with no car on the deck. It certainly adds a nice moment arm to make the trailer wobble. Pretty funny.

The whole rack also came in handy when I needed to pick up some round bails for the other horse power on the property lol 

hay1.PNG.f21d0cb03c0240467a11e2c9504b6ab9.PNG

McMaster Parts: 

1/2-13 Stainless Steel J-Bolts 8" long (https://www.mcmaster.com/#91521A150

And buy the associated nuts and washers. 

I just used some left over square tube to take up the extra space on the j-bolt shank. The 8" is the shortest McMaster had. 

Between the tires is corrigated plastic - https://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Glass-Plastic-Sheets-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheets/N-5yc1vZcbtu

To plug the holes on the square tube, amazon had these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SNMHZP/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Edited by MichaelPal
  • Like 1

Go to a roundly round race or track websight dirt or asphalt plenty of examples there . Those guys have years of stoarage and tire rack solutions . Finding out what wont work will save money and time ..

• Like 1

While we are at it I’m going to sandblast and paint the trailer before rewiring. (My biggest customer is a commercial steel processor that does sandblasting so it will just be cost of materials). I also need to replace the fenders which are pretty much Swiss cheese at this point. Can anyone recommend a good online source? Looks like Northern Tool has some, but I’ll take other recommendations.

IMG_3556.jpg.88c47107f627ebb3229e3eef9fa2c4d8.jpg 

We built a loft for ours. Has a rod that slides through the round holes to make a tire rack also, but found we didn't need it. had to make it high enough for our race Jeep to fit under also. 

• Like 1