Bill Strong

Official 2018 Grass Valley Enduro - Oregon Raceway Park - Canceled

44 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

FYI Lucky Dog allows 24 gallon cells and SoA has both a Champ spec 18 and Lucky Dog spec 24 gallon. 

And seems to be able to win with a spec 18. So the only reason the team needs a 24 is to keep up with the Joneses in LDRL. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FlorahDorah said:

And so... if you give more fuel, you have to give it to everyone. And everyone will need it if you go there. 

If it was a spec series with one make of car, your blanket statement would have validity.

7 hours ago, mender said:

If it was a spec series with one make of car, your blanket statement would have validity.

My bone stock car ran out of gas at Daytona in approximately 92 minutes.  So, how much should the extra 5 gallons cost me in points?  

5 laps? Probably can't make up the difference in a 7 hour race and not worth it given that one additional pitstop would likely only cost 2 - 2.5 laps.... but in a 14 hour race it starts to even out.  In a 24 it is a no brainer.

Give everyone the ability to run 2 hours and speed creep and costs have just gone up exponentially.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dogtired said:

My bone stock car ran out of gas at Daytona in approximately 92 minutes.  So, how much should the extra 5 gallons cost me in points?  

5 laps? Probably can't make up the difference in a 7 hour race and not worth it given that one additional pitstop would likely only cost 2 - 2.5 laps.... but in a 14 hour race it starts to even out.  In a 24 it is a no brainer.

Give everyone the ability to run 2 hours and speed creep and costs have just gone up exponentially.

That's like saying "Give everyone the ability to run the same power to weight and speed creep and costs have just gone up exponentially."

Didn't happen, and won't happen with fuel parity. What might happen is other cars being able to podium that didn't before.

18 hours ago, FlorahDorah said:

And seems to be able to win with a spec 18. So the only reason the team needs a 24 is to keep up with the Joneses in LDRL. 

Actually, the reason is so that they don't need to spend $$$ on tires to make up for that 6 gallon difference.

We had a busy time at the LDRL ORP race last weekend but I don't recall hearing anything about SOA changing tires every pit stop. Interesting how close the racing is between the top cars when they all can go two hours on fuel.

31 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Like mustangs?   

Heaven forbid, right?

Much better when a Miata and a BMW comes in first and second ahead of the fastest Mustang team, like what happened in Saturday's LDRL race.

Oh wait, how did that happen when SOA had so much fuel? Not possible!

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

If we want to discuss tech and other issues start another thread besides a cancelled race thread. 

I don't see much discussion about tech here, mainly five pages of discussing why one ORP race got cancelled and another didn't.

Unless you mean the posts about the latest MR2 build?

Edited by mender

15 minutes ago, mender said:

I don't see much discussion about tech here, mainly five pages of discussing why one ORP race got cancelled and another didn't.

Unless you mean the posts about the latest MR2 build?

There's a page and a half almost two discussing weights, fuel, Mustangs, MR2s, heck even the BMW made an appearance. 

Don't forget 370Z, Porsche 924 and even Fiero - though most people tend to forget that last one as soon as it's mentioned. :lol: A typical Champ thread that meanders around in the usual stream-of-thought manner from what I can see.

But you're right: if there's something serious that needs to be discussed about tech that has arisen from this thread besides the usual banter (like type and number of tires allowed during a race), it would be a good idea to address it in a stand-alone thread.

I feel threads like this are beneficial because of the range of topics and concerns that are voiced during the discussion that can lead to improvements in the series. :)

Edited by mender

1 hour ago, mender said:

Don't forget 370Z, Porsche 924 and even Fiero - though most people tend to forget that last one as soon as it's mentioned. :lol: A typical Champ thread that meanders around in the usual stream-of-thought manner from what I can see.

But you're right: if there's something serious that needs to be discussed about tech that has arisen from this thread besides the usual banter (like type and number of tires allowed during a race), it would be a good idea to address it in a stand-alone thread.

I feel threads like this are beneficial because of the range of topics and concerns that are voiced during the discussion that can lead to improvements in the series. :)

They can also me sent to tyler.pedersen@champcar.org so I can also bring this up in Board of Director meetings :)

• Like 1