Honda Prelude brakes questions...

So, I’ve been hoping to upgrade the brakes on my Accord as they always felt a bit marginal. It has 5-bolt Prelude hubs, 300 mm TL rotors and Hawk DTC-70 pads. 

I got the recommendation from some of you Honda gurus here on the Forum to swap calipers for the 2-piston Legend GS ones, so I bought a set of those - but installing them I got a bit confused. It seems that the Legend has the calipers behind the axles, and the Accord has them in front. My understanding has always been that the rotor should first pass the smaller piston, but if I mount these calipers in front of the axle I must swap sides to keep the bleed screw on top - and then the pistons would be backwards with the larger one on top..?

What say ye? Is it just that the difference of having the pistons in the wrong order isn’t such a big deal so you can just swap sides and be happy. Or was the GS calipers a suggestion that wasn’t right? 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

(Did a test install first as per the picture with the pistons the right way, but obviously having the bleed screw at the bottom would make bleeding a bit of a challenge 😉 )

FEC840A5-C8C6-468A-BCE0-CF11DF104120.jpeg

Swinging the caliper up to bleed is gonna suck with hot brakes.  Also, you will need to put something in the caliper so the pistons don't move while bleeding.

You could do a short remote bleeder that brings the line up.  Maybe....

The pistons won't move with speed bleeders, or a normal bleeder if you open the bleeder before you push the pedal down. It would be inconvenient hot, but it's easy to hang the caliper with a short cord down from the upper control arm.

Agree that bleeding won't be fun in any case. For my garage I have a bleeder gun for the air compressor, so I think that will be ok. Need to bleed at the track... would not be fun. 

But I don't know that I have too many options. It would be nice to have some non-sliding calipers, but I don't have the time (or equipment) to start designing and machining custom brackets so I'm kind of stuck with what fits my knuckles. 

After some research, it seems that Gen 1 NSX calipers would have solved the bleed issue but they actually have smaller pistons than the Legend GS calipers, so would shift some brake bias to the rear which would not be great. 

If I don't get happy with what I'm doing now it seems like the next step is going to 17" wheels, 350Z rotors and a kit that allows mounting RL 4-pot calipers to the Prelude knuckle.

Fwiw the piston bore bias to get pad wear more even is a pretty small effect. If it were me i might just leave it bleeder up and see if there is measurable taper after a race. Many cars run even piston bores, and have very little taper, you are just another increment past that. 

I have worked\developed cars with underslung calipers. You will need a "bridge" to shove in the caliper that is equal in thickness to your rotor. A block of wood or aluminum works fine. We used a big s hook to hang the caliper bleeder up. A pain to service, but we rarely bled brakes (only to swap fluid or when car was built).