Jump to content

Recommended Posts

First off want to say thank you to the champcar staff. This was a great weekend! Team Kaput the vw golf blue and orange this was the first time back on the track since crashing in turn 3 last year. The car drove well Saturday, other than no in-tank fuel pump so we could only do about an hour and ten minutes a stint. Then about halfway through the race we cut a brake line, fortunately we had a spare for the wilwood system so we didn't have to switch back to the stock Golf brakes. At the end of the day we sorted out most of our problems and got ready for Sunday.  I started the race, which was an absolute blast passing and being passed on the opening laps of the race. Was neck and neck with a car me on the outside of turn one and kept inching toward the outside and eventually put a tire in the grass exciting turn one. (meanwhile in my mind I'm half scared to death half this is the most amazing thing ever!) luckily nothing bad happened and we kept on racing. I finished my stint in second or 3, the rain really helped! We pit a couple laps to early, the next driver did 2 laps then it was the red flag delay. After the rain delay we actually got up to first place for about 2 laps while we battled the orange BMW for a few laps in the wet. That was really fun for us to watch! until the track dried up and he was gone. At the end of the second stint driver said rear wheel bearing is going, so we hustled to have a replacement. lost some time that pit stop for we jacked up all four corners inspecting each tire individually to find out it was the left front bearing nut was loose. (Always the last one you check) so we tightened the nut and sent driver 3 on his way. who did a amazing job, really fast and brought the car back in one piece this time. We were running 3rd this time so we knew our stop had to be perfect. Usually we are 5+ minutes in the pit close to 6. Had a perfect stop only to have the drive tell us that the car has no brakes and there is a grinding noise coming from a wheel....... meanwhile the 4th driver just left pit lane. so at this point we know it is the wheel bearing luckily the driver safely made it back to the pits. welded the bearing solid so the wheel didn't turn chopped it out with a hammer and a screwdriver to get it on the trailer. This was by far the best we have done, but once again dreams of getting one  of those sweet trophies where crushed. Had a blast good racing by everybody and hope to see everyone at BIR 2019!!!!!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2018 at 8:50 AM, 55mini said:

So what a weekend for our team and we will have a long read shortly as I know one person which will be excited to discuss the racing part.

Our travels to arrive had some major excitement and delayed our arrival until after tech was closed and we were not sure what we had left of a car and parts 

until we got to the track. 

I will provide some thoughts and details but will try to be brief. Heading up I35 at mile marker 36 which is all construction and reduced to two lanes with trafffic

running side by side and a solid line. We were pulling our trailer with my 2000 F250 work horse and followed a semi into the road work area. I was running about 50 mph

and about 250 feet of the semi when all of the sudden he slams on his brakes and comes to a complete stop. Now hit the brakes hard on the F250 and trailer locking all

eight wheels trying to slow to a stop. The rest is history as we ended up in the tail of the semi as we had no other options with the wire guard rail or on coming traffic as

the only other options. Patrick and I both were fine as we knew what was going to happen but the truck was totaled being wedged between 10,000 trailer and a 50 ton

semi. 

I want to discuss trailer loading and strapping down of goods inside after seeing the results. I will say everything in the trailer came forward and I mean everything.

We had everything strapped down to either e-track or to the side walls with d-ring anchors. Varies types and quality and I will say we had straps that snapped, d-rings that

either opened or snapped the anchor bolts and even the heavy car straps one of those the end hook almost straightened out. My point in all of this is we will move to heavier

straps and all the cargo and stronger d-rings and all tie points. 

Damage will need to be fully assessed in the coming days but I do know I have a couple Miata radiators to sell which are both kind of crushed. The car came forward and 

crushed the splitter and front aero which we removed and beat back at the track before day one.

 

Gee I forgot to say what caused this complete mess, seems up in front of the line a construction truck turned off into the work sight with no warning or signal 😞

 

 

 

Oh man, really sorry to see/hear about this.

In order for the rest of us to learn and gain from your unfortunate experience, do you have any pictures of how things moved, damaged or broken straps, how you had things secured, etc? I'm wondering if I should make improvements to my securing provisions. Not to mention, my car probably has at least 500 lbs on yours.

Do you use floor e-track and straps for the wheels of the car? If so, how is your E-track secured to the floor and did the track get detached or peel up anywhere?

Again, so sorry but I think this is a very valuable learning moment (for myself, at least) and something I've thought a lot about having recently added E-track and lots of other provisions to my trailer.

 

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we had a great time. Two cars started and two finished. Doesn't get much better than that for us. Day one was great with the exception of getting lost exiting the track after stint one. Somehow our first driver ended up on Donnybrooke during the drag races. Made for some really good gopro video. Had a blast on day two following Premium dudes around for awhile because i didn't have the balls to send it into turn one alone. We learned a lot about our new build. Making a few small changes then time to find driver for Gingerman. Thanks to the volunteers, workers and champcar staff for making it all happen. See you guys at the next one!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

 

 

Oh man, really sorry to see/hear about this.

In order for the rest of us to learn and gain from your unfortunate experience, do you have any pictures of how things moved, damaged or broken straps, how you had things secured, etc? I'm wondering if I should make improvements to my securing provisions. Not to mention, my car probably has at least 500 lbs on yours.

Do you use floor e-track and straps for the wheels of the car? If so, how is your E-track secured to the floor and did the track get detached or peel up anywhere?

Again, so sorry but I think this is a very valuable learning moment (for myself, at least) and something I've thought a lot about having recently added E-track and lots of other provisions to my trailer.

 

Paul,

 

I can speak to this a little bit.  There are some pictures of how things shifted, but will have to get them from my brother as they are on his phone.  The e-track on the floor did not let go.  The Gator brand straps actually had the hooks straighten from the impact.  One of the rear e-track clips broke loose.  The tool boxes are secured to the trailer using D-rings that are mounted into the side frames of the trailer and some of those broke apart at the hinge.  We usually secured the boxes using harbor freight straps and have had no issue.  That will no longer be the case. 

 

We also have two sweet stainless steel rolling cabinets we picked up from a local hospital that we have all of our small spares loaded into and then another that holds all of our pit stuff that we can then just roll out.  Each weight about 350-400lbs when loaded. These broke the 2 straps that were holding each of them and slammed forward into our fuel jugs and spare radiators.

 

Scary incident and required us to spend some extra time rebuilding the front end before the race.  Pics will either be posted or pm'd later.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Premium Dudes Sunday Race Recap:

 

As you all remember, Saturday ended with a busted something in the clutch hydraulic system and a 2nd place finish. Well, that something turned out to be the clutch master cylinder which had seen fewer than 18 hours of track time!! So we replace that with the spare and head off to the Donnybrooke track.

 

Sunday morning has us starting on pole because of the inverted start, so, naturally I call dibs and hop in the car. We look at the weather forecast and decide to run the same tires that we finished Saturday on (gotta stretch tire life to save that money!). So the green flag drops and I run away from the field, get to turn 1 and give the throttle a nice breathe, heading on to turn 2 I see MiElan close 15 car lengths, pass me, and then run out of sight over the next few laps (clearly he wasn't lifting!). Junk in the Trunk got around me in much the same way, but by lap 20 both Junk in the Trunk and MiElan suffered crazy part failures which put me back in first. Since SD Faces wasn't racing their BMW (they were testing a Cayman built for a different series), I knew that our chances of winning were now quite high.

 

A few laps later it started raining and I'm all over the place. No grip. No talent. First time on a wet track (our strategy was to get me in the car BEFORE the rain started). 

The drag strip portion turns to ice and a car hits the wall... then another... then it starts raining really hard and I'm hydroplaning badly. Then the windshield fogs up... track goes FCY, I pull into the pits so that the crew can address the windshield fogging. After a stop of just 10 seconds I leave our pit box to rejoin the field in 3rd place, just a few seconds behind the new leader but they won't release me on track! Apparently they are red-flagging the race. Red flag makes sense... 2 cars already in the wall and very treacherous conditions. The only problem is that the pace car isn't on track yet, and while pit-out is under 'red flag' the track itself is not. I sit at pit out while cars continue to circulate, and by the time the rest of the field is parked at pit-in, we are 2 laps down.

[BTW, here is the right front tire that we ran the wet stints on... picture taken during the red flag]

image.png.8f18989d1915d661e0d37bf80428b556.png

 

After a long delay (they needed the rain to stop AND have time to dry the drag strip), Glen hops in the car. In the time since the race went red, we had been in Dana's ear pleading our case that we had been unfairly penalized by being held at pit-out. What he ended up doing was releasing our car (and a couple others who had been held at pit out) onto the track while the pace car started leading the cars who had been held at pit-in. By catching up to the tail of the field, Glen was now in third place, a lap down plus a dozen or so positions on track compared to the leader (Transcendental Racing miata). With just under 4 hours left in the race, a comeback victory would not be easy.

 

@ABR-Glen runs a great stint on the drying track. After a few laps he has us back on the lead lap, and for the rest of his stint takes about 3 seconds / lap out of their lead. We run the tank dry and @red0 hops in with a 1:10 deficit to the leader. By the time he finishes putting on a clinic of speed and consistency, we hold the lead by 50 seconds. Celebrity driver @Paulie Veltum gets in to bring her home as Transcendental Turns up the wick to run us down.. the gap starts dropping but Paulie is able to pick up the pace and stabilizes the lead at 40 seconds, where it stays until the checker.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Gorillasticker.com said:

Well, we had a great time. Two cars started and two finished. Doesn't get much better than that for us. Day one was great with the exception of getting lost exiting the track after stint one. Somehow our first driver ended up on Donnybrooke during the drag races. Made for some really good gopro video. Had a blast on day two following Premium dudes around for awhile because i didn't have the balls to send it into turn one alone. We learned a lot about our new build. Making a few small changes then time to find driver for Gingerman. Thanks to the volunteers, workers and champcar staff for making it all happen. See you guys at the next one!

 

Yeah I want to see that video. Didn't realize this actually happened. See you all at Gingerman. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dancin said:

 After the rain delay we actually got up to first place for about 2 laps while we battled the orange BMW for a few laps in the wet. That was really fun for us to watch! until the track dried up and he was gone. 

 

I got put in the orange car after the red flag, we hand't taken on any fuel yet, so I needed to try to keep the car in one piece while the track dried out and make it to within 4 hours of the checker so that our last two drivers could fight for the win. I had never driven this car in the wet, it had no ABS (which I'm not used to) and I knew one of the tires was (over)due for replacement, so I was pretty cautious starting out. I noticed you took the lead after the restart and it didn't take you long to be on my tail (making up pretty much a whole lap), so I assumed you were the car that we were batting with.

 

Having you to follow really got my confidence up and after several laps of close study I was able to find where I was gaininig/losing time to you and then made my move to put a gap between us, running my fastest lap of the day. It was a lot of fun, not sure if we got any video, but your driver wasn't making any visible mistakes even with me right on his tail, we just had a bit quicker car once the track dried and I found my cojones. Sorry to see your car spend so much time in the pits, it was certainly running well on track. 

 

Without you to chase I could have easily lost enough time in my stint to erase our eventual margin of victory...

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GUYs and gals I will try to post more pictures and details in a week or so. I will also share some thoughts on changes to come.  

Everything is repairable and no one was hurt which is most important!

 

I’m out of state for the next week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, enginerd said:

. After a stop of just 10 seconds I leave our pit box to rejoin the field in 3rd place, just a few seconds behind the new leader but they won't release me on track! Apparently they are red-flagging the race. Red flag makes sense... 2 cars already in the wall and very treacherous conditions. The only problem is that the pace car isn't on track yet, and while pit-out is under 'red flag' the track itself is not. I sit at pit out while cars continue to circulate, and by the time the rest of the field is parked at pit-in, we are 2 laps down.

 

After a long delay (they needed the rain to stop AND have time to dry the drag strip), Glen hops in the car. In the time since the race went red, we had been in Dana's ear pleading our case that we had been unfairly penalized by being held at pit-out. What he ended up doing was releasing our car (and a couple others who had been held at pit out) onto the track while the pace car started leading the cars who had been held at pit-in. By catching up to the tail of the field, Glen was now in third place, a lap down plus a dozen or so positions on track compared to the leader (Transcendental Racing miata).

 

This happened to us a couple of years ago at Sebring.    They threw a yellow on track so we came into pit at it was right at 2 hours for us.   Once we got into pits they wouldn't even let us park it our pit stall and said it was red flag.   Problem is the track is showing full course caution and cars are still circulating but we were stuck in the pits not allowed to do anything.   After 2 laps they threw the red on track and brought everyone in.     @MoparBoyy and myself were not happy at all and let Mike know it.    They need to understand once they throw a yellow, SOMEONE on track is coming to pit.  They should throw a red first, get everyone stopped and then bring everyone in under yellow.    

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few random clips, here is the first one I uploaded, here is a fun one. The Miata doing a full rotation. for a moment, I thought he was going to save it.

 

 

Edited by Mike.g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t it a common known issue with road courses that use drag strips that they get very slick when wet?  I don’t know what causes it. Track prep maybe. Do they need to wait for two cars to crash before they wave the red flag. 

 

Pardon on the Monday morning quarterback commentary. 

Edited by Chris Shay
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chris Shay said:

Isn’t it a common known issue with road courses that use drag strips that they get very slick when wet?  I don’t know what causes it. Track prep maybe. Do they need to wait for two cars to crash before they wave the red flag. 

 

Pardon on the Monday morning quarterback commentary. 

 

It's Thursday though.....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chris Shay said:

Isn’t it a common known issue with road courses that use drag strips that they get very slick when wet?  I don’t know what causes it. Track prep maybe. Do they need to wait for two cars to crash before they wave the red flag. 

 

Pardon on the Monday morning quarterback commentary. 

It the VHT? that they spray down.  It was really impressive to look at during the red flag.  The water on it made it look like an ice skating rink.  During the drivers meeting, we were all warned that if it rained there was a section right down the middle that does not have the VHT on it and to drive on that only.  They also only spray the 1/4 mile section so it isn't the whole straight.  That said, yes, maybe should have just said no and gone red right away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tested at Pueblo Motorports, same deal, drag races held down the front straight.  It's always a tip toe to keep the car straight even in the dry over the strip.  sigh

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chris Shay said:

Isn’t it a common known issue with road courses that use drag strips that they get very slick when wet?  I don’t know what causes it. Track prep maybe. Do they need to wait for two cars to crash before they wave the red flag. 

 

Pardon on the Monday morning quarterback commentary. 

Are you suggesting they should have red flagged at the first sprinkle? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

It the VHT? that they spray down.  It was really impressive to look at during the red flag.  The water on it made it look like an ice skating rink.  During the drivers meeting, we were all warned that if it rained there was a section right down the middle that does not have the VHT on it and to drive on that only.  They also only spray the 1/4 mile section so it isn't the whole straight.  That said, yes, maybe should have just said no and gone red right away.

 

Yes it is the VHT.  If you think it is slick with rain you should try it with melting snow.  Could not touch the throttle in second, third was just slight tip in, fourth maybe 1/4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

Are you suggesting they should have red flagged at the first sprinkle? 

When the drag strip has been freshly treated, it seems like something to consider.  Maybe a local yellow for a few laps.  I have no first hand experience with a wet drag strip, just playing internet expert...

 

I'm basing this off of several videos that I have seen in both amateur and pro racing where light rain hits, then several cars immediately pile up on the drag strip.  Then they red flag after several cars are smashed up.  I dont know what the answer is.  I LOVE racing in the rain but dont like fixing smashed up cars.  

 

Edited by Chris Shay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dancin (Team Kaput #501)

I've now reviewed some video and saw that we owe you an apology! Our cars had side to side contact in turn 6 on day 1 (a little less than halfway through the race) and it was definitely our fault. Glad to see that this didn't put you guys out, it was fun racing against you, sorry for the contact!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, enginerd said:

@dancin (Team Kaput #501)

I've now reviewed some video and saw that we owe you an apology! Our cars had side to side contact in turn 6 on day 1 (a little less than halfway through the race) and it was definitely our fault. Glad to see that this didn't put you guys out, it was fun racing against you, sorry for the contact!

 

Ah, it happens. Most of the time you guys are the fastest thing on the track, so you don't have to check the mirrors as often as us common folk :P

 

I did experience that once with your car, but it wasn't too bad. I caught back up to your car in turn 1 and had a full head of steam, but I ended up having to get on the brakes hard because I don't think the driver saw me. (The Sat. contact might also have been in the back of my mind so I was extra cautious). I figured they didn't expect our 4 door family car to catch back up so quick! haha!

 

Overall it was fun racing with you guys and I always tried to point everyone as soon as I could.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mike.g said:

 

Ah, it happens. Most of the time you guys are the fastest thing on the track, so you don't have to check the mirrors as often as us common folk :P

 

I did experience that once with your car, but it wasn't too bad. I caught back up to your car in turn 1 and had a full head of steam, but I ended up having to get on the brakes hard because I don't think the driver saw me. (The Sat. contact might also have been in the back of my mind so I was extra cautious). I figured they didn't expect our 4 door family car to catch back up so quick! haha!

 

Overall it was fun racing with you guys and I always tried to point everyone as soon as I could.

 

 

 

That was @red0 driving there! I’m sure he thought it odd that the fastest car on track would point him by going into the main straight. You guys have the speed to pull us by 20 lengths on that straight so I’m sure he thought that by not passing already, you were sitting back and wouldn’t try a pass. Our top speed was 122 on Sunday with 156 WHP... with 255 rated HP you guys could do 130? 140?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, enginerd said:

That was @red0 driving there! I’m sure he thought it odd that the fastest car on track would point him by going into the main straight. You guys have the speed to pull us by 20 lengths on that straight so I’m sure he thought that by not passing already, you were sitting back and wouldn’t try a pass. Our top speed was 122 on Sunday with 156 WHP... with 255 rated HP you guys could do 130? 140?

Our brakes were super soft. So when we were coming into the last turn I didn't want to hold him up so I gave him the inside. I was surprised that I caught up to you guys, and we've already played that game with a several cars for many laps. They would pass us in heart of the track and we would get them back going down the front stretch. :) Made for some awesome racing.

 

Our soft brake issue came from our master cylinder failing. It held out enough for us to finish the weekend. We just had to have long braking zones.

Not sure the exact number but mid 130's before I lifted going into turn 1 normally. It took several laps to build up enough courage to drive that corner at full speed for our car.

Edited by Mike.g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×