Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, drsrock said:

Do not believe everything you read. There is A LOT MORE to this than what's in the statement. In the mean time attached file, and the WRL rule book is a good read. 

Rowdy.docx

                                                                       Rowdy Truck Engine

1.       The main differences between a Mustang engine and a Truck engine are the Intake Manifold and Compression Ratio (10.5: vs 11:1)

2.       Factory rated horsepower for a 2014 F150 is 360HP

3.       Modifiers should be taken on Intake Manifold for a Cobra Jet Intake and Exhaust Headers ( Here an arbitrary “Modifier” number is assigned which does not relate to actual power gain)

4.       Engine bore over >.060 is allowed by the rules

5.       Tune is Free as per rulebook BPM. Consideration: a stock F150 is tuned for 87 octane. Tuned to 100 octane with increased timing, in addition to other tune variables, further improve HP since you do not have to worry about EPA ratings or detonation with race gas.

6.       Free flowing exhaust is allowed past the headers in BPM. F150 comes with 2” stock. Further HP is gained by 3” unruffled set up.

7.       BPM states that Throttle Body size could be changed. So going from 80mm round in the F150 to a Twin 65mm to fit the Cobra jet intake increases the area from 5026 to 6636 sq mm

 

Important Considerations:

 

-          In late 2014 Ford ran out of 2011-14 cylinder heads and started using 2015+ style heads on late model 20014 F150 trucks making 2015+ heads legal on all years. These heads have better flow than Boss 302 Mustang heads and therefore increase HP greatly.

 

-          In the link below, you can see how the intake manifolds effect Horsepower. Keep in mind that this is using an Auto Trans, with F150 larger heavier wheels/tires and drivetrain, so the loss is greater than that of a Mustang. The tune in this article is for 93 octane as well instead of race gas.

                     https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/coyote-f-150-intake-test.1110961/

 

For reference: http://www.racewrl.com/pdfs/2018_rules_0101.pdf

Of Particular interest: 

Page 11 B.1.a-b
Page 12 2.b
Page 13 D.1 a-p, 2, 3, 4
Page 14
Page 15

 

 

1. This isn't really the place to debate WRL rules. 

 

2. No amount of technical justification or "rules lawyering" will override the Darwin rule. 

"The Darwin Rule exists to give officials leeway to enforce the intent and spirit of the rules in cases where the letter of the rules becomes insufficient to maintain safety or fairness."

 

Finding a combination of parts that is outside the intent/scope of the modifier system does not entitle you to any kind of advantage in WRL. If you are outperforming the class expect to be reigned in, regardless of following the letter of the rules. 

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the cheating part of the story should be removed. It detracts from the real issue, using a car as a weapon to make your (woe is me) point. Had he hit an official with the car during the burnout it would take tons of litigation to not make it assault with a deadly weapon, since the "anger" was against the official. In many states shooting the driver as a ccp permit holder would also be legal, given they consider cars as deadly weapons (if shooter felt eminent threat and could not escape or saw another person with eminent threat). Just as a perspective on how serious we need to take car stunts used to "gain control".  

 

The parents fighting at your t ball game also comes to mind, with the dad being  an enabler. 

 

 

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or someone's kid panics and runs into the path of the car (7 year olds do some pretty illogical things when they panic).  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, drsrock said:

Do not believe everything you read. There is A LOT MORE to this than what's in the statement. In the mean time attached file, and the WRL rule book is a good read. 

Rowdy.docx

                                                                       Rowdy Truck Engine

1.       The main differences between a Mustang engine and a Truck engine are the Intake Manifold and Compression Ratio (10.5: vs 11:1)

2.       Factory rated horsepower for a 2014 F150 is 360HP

3.       Modifiers should be taken on Intake Manifold for a Cobra Jet Intake and Exhaust Headers ( Here an arbitrary “Modifier” number is assigned which does not relate to actual power gain)

4.       Engine bore over >.060 is allowed by the rules

5.       Tune is Free as per rulebook BPM. Consideration: a stock F150 is tuned for 87 octane. Tuned to 100 octane with increased timing, in addition to other tune variables, further improve HP since you do not have to worry about EPA ratings or detonation with race gas.

6.       Free flowing exhaust is allowed past the headers in BPM. F150 comes with 2” stock. Further HP is gained by 3” unruffled set up.

7.       BPM states that Throttle Body size could be changed. So going from 80mm round in the F150 to a Twin 65mm to fit the Cobra jet intake increases the area from 5026 to 6636 sq mm

 

Important Considerations:

 

-          In late 2014 Ford ran out of 2011-14 cylinder heads and started using 2015+ style heads on late model 20014 F150 trucks making 2015+ heads legal on all years. These heads have better flow than Boss 302 Mustang heads and therefore increase HP greatly.

 

-          In the link below, you can see how the intake manifolds effect Horsepower. Keep in mind that this is using an Auto Trans, with F150 larger heavier wheels/tires and drivetrain, so the loss is greater than that of a Mustang. The tune in this article is for 93 octane as well instead of race gas.

                     https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/coyote-f-150-intake-test.1110961/

 

For reference: http://www.racewrl.com/pdfs/2018_rules_0101.pdf

Of Particular interest: 

Page 11 B.1.a-b
Page 12 2.b
Page 13 D.1 a-p, 2, 3, 4
Page 14
Page 15

 

 

Raced with WRL before, understand the rulebook.  If you Dyno with one setup or tune, and race with another, you're cheating.  But that's not the point.

 

Everything that's happening is due to the actions of the team following the DQ's.

 

Cheating happens.  If you're on the edge of what the rules allow, you Will draw attention from organizers, regardless of where you race.

 

When that attention is received with deplorable sportsmanship, and outright dangerous behaviour, you end up with the results you see now.  That sort of attitude has NO PLACE at the track.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.

 

Banned by ChampCar, banned by WRL, AER investigating, seems like the rules are working perfectly to me.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, drsrock said:

Do not believe everything you read. There is A LOT MORE to this than what's in the statement. In the mean time attached file, and the WRL rule book is a good read. 

Rowdy.docx

                                                                       Rowdy Truck Engine

1.       The main differences between a Mustang engine and a Truck engine are the Intake Manifold and Compression Ratio (10.5: vs 11:1)

2.       Factory rated horsepower for a 2014 F150 is 360HP

3.       Modifiers should be taken on Intake Manifold for a Cobra Jet Intake and Exhaust Headers ( Here an arbitrary “Modifier” number is assigned which does not relate to actual power gain)

4.       Engine bore over >.060 is allowed by the rules

5.       Tune is Free as per rulebook BPM. Consideration: a stock F150 is tuned for 87 octane. Tuned to 100 octane with increased timing, in addition to other tune variables, further improve HP since you do not have to worry about EPA ratings or detonation with race gas.

6.       Free flowing exhaust is allowed past the headers in BPM. F150 comes with 2” stock. Further HP is gained by 3” unruffled set up.

7.       BPM states that Throttle Body size could be changed. So going from 80mm round in the F150 to a Twin 65mm to fit the Cobra jet intake increases the area from 5026 to 6636 sq mm

 

Important Considerations:

 

-          In late 2014 Ford ran out of 2011-14 cylinder heads and started using 2015+ style heads on late model 20014 F150 trucks making 2015+ heads legal on all years. These heads have better flow than Boss 302 Mustang heads and therefore increase HP greatly.

 

-          In the link below, you can see how the intake manifolds effect Horsepower. Keep in mind that this is using an Auto Trans, with F150 larger heavier wheels/tires and drivetrain, so the loss is greater than that of a Mustang. The tune in this article is for 93 octane as well instead of race gas.

                     https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/coyote-f-150-intake-test.1110961/

 

For reference: http://www.racewrl.com/pdfs/2018_rules_0101.pdf

Of Particular interest: 

Page 11 B.1.a-b
Page 12 2.b
Page 13 D.1 a-p, 2, 3, 4
Page 14
Page 15

 

 

The question of whether or not your engine is legal or not is now moot due to your asinine actions post race.  You understand that right?   You handled to situation in the worst possible way.    It no longer matters if WRL was right or not to DQ your car because they are right to ban you for your post race actions.       We had a situation in this series where we caught someone cheating and attempted to protest.  The CEO made the wrong call and let the infraction go stating that there was no rule against what they were doing.   Instead of causing a scene at the track we got on the forum and let everyone know what was going on.   There was a rule 2 weeks later.  Didn't help us that race but it helps everyone in the future and lets the officials know that they are going to be held accountable for their decisions. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

 

The plot thickens.......

 

 

amateur_hour_anchorman.gif

 

Still doesn't excuse bad behavior but glad to see WRL still investigating/chopping heads.

Edited by Jab31169

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jab31169 said:

 

amateur_hour_anchorman.gif

 

Still doesn't excuse bad behavior but glad to see WRL still investigating/chopping heads.

 

Its possible the employee did nothing wrong.  Its pretty clear that the ethics of the team responsible are questionable at best.  I personally would take a very large grain of salt with any tall tales they may be spreading to explain their bad behavior.

 

two wrongs don't make a right.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting banned from a track is pretty bad.  The track had nothing to do with the rules.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 10:37 AM, SonsOfIrony said:

 

Its possible the employee did nothing wrong.  Its pretty clear that the ethics of the team responsible are questionable at best.  I personally would take a very large grain of salt with any tall tales they may be spreading to explain their bad behavior.

 

two wrongs don't make a right.

Any accusation must be corroborated by a 3rd party or a confession. Otherwise, there is no grounds for discipline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JBgotM said:

Any accusation must be corroborated by a 3rd party or a confession. Otherwise, there is no grounds for discipline. 

Edit...  this response assumes talking about the racers, not the employee.

 

This isn't a court of law.  

 

If the club or organization says youre out, youre out.  

 

I am sure there were plenty of people that witnessed the event.

 

Furthermore, the track and wrl agree.  Sounds like 3rd party to me.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JBgotM said:

Any accusation must be corroborated by a 3rd party or a confession. Otherwise, there is no grounds for discipline. 

 

For the employee?  I agree.  Obviously the person I question needs to be temporarily removed from duty, but I'm sure the investigation is ongoing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only guy to think , "way to disprove your power by doing a display of horsepower..."

 

I doubt it was one of those "shame burnouts" I do in my car where you hit second gear and the car bogs and you have to go back to first before you're even past the mailbox in front of the house.  Or it coughs and dies... usually it's that.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 2:04 AM, Ham Sammich said:

Am I the only guy to think , "way to disprove your power by doing a display of horsepower..."

 

I doubt it was one of those "shame burnouts" I do in my car where you hit second gear and the car bogs and you have to go back to first before you're even past the mailbox in front of the house.  Or it coughs and dies... usually it's that.  :D

 

Bob!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just FYI, I spoke with a friend who has been at TWO other WRL events where this same team put on a display that was less than responsible. At Daytona, apparently they did a giant smokey burnout halfway down the hot pit a'la NASCAR. And at Barber, after serving a series-imposed penalty for continually exceeding the pit speed limit, they pulled a tire-smoking turn up into the paddock and drove recklessly to their rig. 

So it appears to be a bit of a trend...

S. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Snorman said:

Just FYI, I spoke with a friend who has been at TWO other WRL events where this same team put on a display that was less than responsible. At Daytona, apparently they did a giant smokey burnout halfway down the hot pit a'la NASCAR. And at Barber, after serving a series-imposed penalty for continually exceeding the pit speed limit, they pulled a tire-smoking turn up into the paddock and drove recklessly to their rig. 

So it appears to be a bit of a trend...

S. 

 

Looks like a lifetime ban may have been an underreaction.

 

If someone dies due to some belligerent off track behavior that could easily mean the end of any chance at renting that track ever again, and looks bad for all amateur endurance racing series.  Not to mention the possibility of hikes in insurance and track rental costs that would surely trickle down to entry fees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×