Sign in to follow this  
Scottw58

Anybody competing with 600 point car

I just obtained a Z33 2005 Nissan 350z. I am considering making it an endurance race car for Champ Car. I can run as an automatic for close to 500 points;  but I believe, to make it durable it would require coolers ect.. Which would put me into penalty laps. I could also convert to manual and get more penalty laps. Is anybody using this strategy and trying to compete with penalty laps? I have been following on youtube and race hero and it does not show any teams and penalty laps. Any suggestions or advise?? Thanks, Scott 

17 minutes ago, Scottw58 said:

I just obtained a Z33 2005 Nissan 350z. I am considering making it an endurance race car for Champ Car. I can run as an automatic for close to 500 points;  but I believe, to make it durable it would require coolers ect.. Which would put me into penalty laps. I could also convert to manual and get more penalty laps. Is anybody using this strategy and trying to compete with penalty laps? I have been following on youtube and race hero and it does not show any teams and penalty laps. Any suggestions or advise?? Thanks, Scott 

Just bring it and have fun.  I doubt you could win anything with points, just race EC..maybe in a few years they'll drop the points on the Z

• Like 1

10 laps... pretty much impossible to overcome that for a win.  Even a few laps becomes really really tough if the top teams are racing and on their game.  Though, could be looking at top 10s and top 5s depending on the race.  Would be lots of fun.  Wont be lacking in speed that's for sure!

I think that the z33 automatic could be one of the best champcars available. @Team Infiniti runs a nissan V8 infront of an automatic very successfully. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RVA Graphics & Wraps said:

Run EC, stay clean and clear of those vying for a podium spot and you should be fine.  

Why not compete in the racing, and go automatic?

• Like 1

Apologies as I read the post while chatting with someone here at the office and missed the whole choice of leaving it an auto or swapping in a manual for points..  I would probably pick running the slush box and competing for a spot, we ran an auto Mercedes years ago in Lemons and while a completely different experience, it was fun.  

• Like 1

Just now, RVA Graphics & Wraps said:

Apologies as I read the post while chatting with someone here at the office and missed the whole choice of leaving it an auto or swapping in a manual for points..  I would probably pick running the slush box and competing for a spot, we ran an auto Mercedes years ago in Lemons and while a completely different experience, it was fun.  

Wasn't that a V12? 

448.jpg

• Haha 1

WOW! Thanks for the great information. Great to see success running automatic. Maybe we will run automatic at least until we melt one. Also being new driving skills will be the biggest handicap. 

1 minute ago, Scottw58 said:

WOW! Thanks for the great information. Great to see success running automatic. Maybe we will run automatic at least until we melt one. Also being new driving skills will be the biggest handicap. 

Automatic could help with the driving so you can concentrate on braking and turning and not worry about miss shifts and blown motors!

• Like 1

yes we tested at track day event at AMP and I liked the auto compared to my five speed. it took so getting used to. Stock exhaust was hard to hear with helmet on.  I added paddle shifters on steering wheel. Is that mod allowed? 

2 hours ago, Scottw58 said:

In my opinion, your car choice is undervalued. No experience  with the 5 speed slushbox (we run the older 4 speed in full auto mode)  Driving is easier till you want the most out of it, brakes suffer,  little throttle nuances make a big difference, the need for a cooler is undeniable.

Once a "legal" 350z hits the track everyone will be watching! (especially us)

Take the penalty laps and make everyone mad with your success.

Look us up on youtube Team infiniti aka multicrazycar

Edited by Team Infiniti

As a new team running a 750 point car, the laps can be a tall order to overcome, but from what I see of past results, where you'll finish depends on how long the race is, how much extra pace/run time your overage gets you, and how durable the car is. We're actually talking about adding points so we can push hard for longer....

For something like a 7 or 8 hour, yes, @thewheelerZ is pretty much on point. Unless you're running significantly faster and have a flawless race, you'll have a hard time overcoming a 10+ lap deficit. Now go to a longer race with a bit more attrition, say a 14 or a 24, the game changes a lot. If we could have kept banging out the 1:18's we were settling into at Nelsons, I think we would have had a real shot at it, but a lack of durability hit us early....

As @Team Infiniti says, by all means run it, and when you do, take the laps and make 'em cry. Welcome and hope to see you at a race soon!

Don’t forget that as the race gets longer the penalty laps multiply.  So I believe for a 24 a 600 point car starts 30 laps down.  That’s hard to overcome.

• Like 1

Yes you'll be taking laps, but if you plan on doing this nonsnese for a while, eventually these newer cars will start to 'come in' on starting value. Same reason if I was starting with a build today I'd strongly consider a S197 'Stang vs any other Pony Car. 

I know nothing about the Nismo's but I'd assume it is much like the S197 Mustang - lots of good aftermarket support and easy-button parts. 

It would be a beast, but maybe a little pricey for upgrades if you do any.... I suppose they all are to some extent...  Taking penalty laps would probably be easier than taking  extra fuel stops.. 2-3 extra stops = maybe the 100 points..  but you lose the 15 minutes too (time for the laps you are stationary) with the fuel stops meaning less total time to catch up.  Even if your 10 sec a lap faster, those 6-8 laps would be 60-80 seconds you would lose on the extra stop strategy.  You would not have that added handicap. I'd say go for it, you already have the car.  That or flip it for another good platform.

Getting the car is the cheap part, getting it prepped and on the track is what costs the money. Choose wisely, :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, pintodave said:

Yes you'll be taking laps, but if you plan on doing this nonsnese for a while, eventually these newer cars will start to 'come in' on starting value. Same reason if I was starting with a build today I'd strongly consider a S197 'Stang vs any other Pony Car. 

I know nothing about the Nismo's but I'd assume it is much like the S197 Mustang - lots of good aftermarket support and easy-button parts. 

Yeah, but with the early S197's starting at 550 points, everything is going to add laps. And then the hope that the VPI will drop in coming years makes it sort of a guessing game. We started with laps in our first car, and I think it was the 2nd year the Z32 300's were dropped to 500 points. 

S. 

1 hour ago, Snorman said:

Yeah, but with the early S197's starting at 550 points, everything is going to add laps. And then the hope that the VPI will drop in coming years makes it sort of a guessing game. We started with laps in our first car, and I think it was the 2nd year the Z32 300's were dropped to 500 points. 

S. 

yeah and thats still overvalued for that car. 

I'm not sure anyone should depend on VPis being adjusted down just because of age; it's supposed to be independent of market value so that shouldn't make any difference.

If it does get adjusted down, that throws the rest of the VPi list out of whack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My logic is eventually we will run out of the older cars for a reasonable cost. It's all about supply. 

In 1996 terms, the 6 speed z28 should be 550 points against "insert crap 80's vehicle here". 

Edited by pintodave
  • Like 1