Just watched a program about these tanks and they claimed that they stopped quicker than a car. They implied that it could stop from its top speed of 42 mph in 30 feet. That's about 2 gs on what looks to me like pretty hard rubber blocks. Not buying that.

Does anyone have more realistic numbers?

Edited by mender

8 hours ago, mender said:

Just watched a program about these tanks and they claimed that they stopped quicker than a car. They implied that it could stop from its top speed of 42 mph in 30 feet. That's about 2 gs on what looks to me like pretty hard rubber blocks. Not buying that.

Does anyone have more realistic numbers?

Hard rubber, but a HUGE contact patch.

Escecially if it's soft surface.  I know they're know for tearing up soft asphalt.

Found a Motor Trend article that claims .4 Gs braking.  Other articles only mention braking capability in relative terms - most of them akin to hitting a brick wall.  This video shows it taking a couple tank lengths (1:27 mark).  But it looks like he was pumping the brakes to keep from losing it.  I'd say if he just locked them up it would take maybe 1.5 hull lengths, just guessing.  On dirt I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little less.

1 hour ago, Black Magic said:

Deformable surface vehicle dynamics is it's own world. 

Better question, how fast can it stop without destroying the surface.....

Good point, I assumed no damage.

I'm familiar with dirt sprint cars; wonder what the difference in force is to pull apart asphalt vs a well prepped track ...