NASA Team Racing Endurance Challenge

Seems like a good idea.  The proposed Champcar classing seems a bit odd.  We are all effectively running in the same class in Champcar, but they've grouped them as if Class A is the slowest and Class D the fastest.  I'd think Champcar would be one class above a Spec E30 (or possibly in the same class).  Of course, it would be pretty difficult for the tech guy to be sure that the car wasn't modified outside of the Champ rules.  I guess, bring your Champ logbook and they could check it to that.

11 hours ago, zack_280 said:

Seems like a good idea.  The proposed Champcar classing seems a bit odd.  We are all effectively running in the same class in Champcar, but they've grouped them as if Class A is the slowest and Class D the fastest.  I'd think Champcar would be one class above a Spec E30 (or possibly in the same class).  Of course, it would be pretty difficult for the tech guy to be sure that the car wasn't modified outside of the Champ rules.  I guess, bring your Champ logbook and they could check it to that.

Well if fueling and pitstops dont require 5 min, the equalization is effectively removed, and a D class car would be faster than an A

Each pit stop requires you to add 1-2 containers of fuel. You have to stop for fuel during the race and the maximum you can put in the car is 10 gallons. However, you can start the race with 18 gallons in your tank and you can have two tanks.

As my Yaris burns only 4 gallons per hour, I could make it through a 5 hour race with just 1 pit stop. Huh.

1 hour ago, Wink said:

Well if fueling and pitstops dont require 5 min, the equalization is effectively removed, and a D class car would be faster than an A

See below

30 minutes ago, drKorf said:

Each pit stop requires you to add 1-2 containers of fuel. You have to stop for fuel during the race and the maximum you can put in the car is 10 gallons. However, you can start the race with 18 gallons in your tank and you can have two tanks.

As my Yaris burns only 4 gallons per hour, I could make it through a 5 hour race with just 1 pit stop. Huh.

So a D car that burns 10gph will have to pit every hour past the first 2.

Makes it quite interesting on the strategy...

- start with 18, if caution early then pit, take 10 gal (or whatever it takes to top it off) and keep reserves in hopes of stretching runs and getting lucky with cautions. 

- 5 hour race, no min pit stop time, then it's balls out I guess...... makes it a definite tortoise/hare race!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2018 at 10:34 PM, zack_280 said:

yeah looks slapped together class system.

5 hours ago, drKorf said:

Prices have been posted. $595 for car plus 1 driver. $200 for additional drivers. $40 for crew.

You have to pay more money to have a crew? so is that per crew member?  so forcing a team to reduce the number of crew/drivers makes for a safer environment? 

On 8/14/2018 at 8:47 PM, Ian Moone said:

What track is this supposed to take place?

Sonoma. It's not a bad price really. Sonoma is generally really expensive to drive on. There are lots of high end endurance racing cars in Norcal because of the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. I expect some of the fast E0 teams to be practicing.