Amazing Racing out there! Almost no major incidents and good clean racing.

Congratulations to Team 160 Son of Andre for a well earned Victory!

And a huge thank you to all the Corner Workers, safety team, and staff at Utah Motorsports Campus that helped keep our Race safe, fun and staffed, and to all the Teams who came out here to make this event as much fun as it was.

The Race Results are in!

They can be found online at:

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1567339

And you can download Lap times and Results from Google at:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QBdsRkktOaHNnrkDNLz89cBxkM1TgXjR?usp=sharing
Safe Travels Home.

•  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Son of Andre is a great team to race with everytime!  Although we do wish they would slow it down a bit and give the rest of us a chance!!!!  LOL.

Congrats guys!

BTW, this facility and track is absolutely incredible!  Such a great track to take 4+ hours to figure out how to drive and learn and get fast at!  Hopefully the lower car count doesnt mean we dont go back!  More people next year!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

BTW, this facility and track is absolutely incredible

Looks like you guys did well and had a strong run, congrats to your 5th place finish.

As to next year with careful planning it will be on our list!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Looks like you guys did well and had a strong run, congrats to your 5th place finish.

As to next year with careful planning it will be on our list!

We had the pace for 3rd.  about 1 hour in, we started losing gear lube out of the diff thanks to a seeping left side half shaft seal and smoking really badly bc its right over the exhaust at top speed and hard right turns.  for about 8 hours we were air filing it at each pit stop, which added about 1min/stop.  The track then  threatened to black flagged us bc it was getting too bad and they didnt want to risk oil on the track.  We did a seal change (Mazda OEM deal) in 25min and that did ZERO to fix the leak, we also did a right front wheel bearing just bc they are a weak point and its a hard track on the RF.  We pushed few more hours and then got the official black flag.  replaced the seal with an autozone Federal Mogul version which looked different, and replaced the half shaft in about another 30 minutes and went back out.  That fixed it and we raced no issues the rest of the race.  We were thankful to get back up to 5th.

Moral of the story, Miata guys - change you half shaft seals!!!!  They are really easy and cheap!

11 minutes ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

Federal Mogul

We have been using them for sometime and never had any further issues and they are dirt cheap from RockAuto.

Sounds like fun working on a very hot diff and playing with diff oil? I hate that stuff and try no to do either during a race.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 55mini said:

We have been using them for sometime and never had any further issues and they are dirt cheap from RockAuto.

Sounds like fun working on a very hot diff and playing with diff oil? I hate that stuff and try no to do either during a race.

yea they are being replaced immediately when the car is home and we are putting spares in the box.  i think a total collective of about 5 exhaust burns, even with welding sleeves.

• Like 1

What an absolutely stunning facility.  Comparable would be COTA but I would choose Utah 5X over before COTA.

Garages had air lines and each their own bathroom.  Around 5 PM someone stops in to sprits up the bathroom.  One garage could squeeze in 4 cars in a pinch.  Above the garages outside is a covered area to view the track, beside is air conditioned indoor large suite with plenty of seating and big screen, it was open.  Next to that is the media broadcasting room which was also open.  Seating and bathrooms everywhere.  Want to race go-karts, trophy truck, rock crawling, dirt bike, street bike, dirt/street, skid pad?  It is all there.

The track?  One of the best I have been to as well.  It is the first time I had to memorize the corners because there were so many, as I was exiting I had to think about which one was coming next as very few times you could use the surroundings to identify it and whether you will be going left or right.  What a challenge to drive on the proper line, then drive fast and on the proper line, then do it at night.  Too bad we had troubles, more on that later.

What a stunning facility.

• Like 4

Our car ran good for the first *almost* 2 laps then died.  After a lengthy diagnosis we found the computer had decided to give up, swap that out and back on course after being down an hour.

After ~30 minutes the low level in the surge tank is flashing - huh?  Put in only about 5 gallons, more puzzlement, send driver back out.  Same thing, driver says he can smell gas as well, find the vent line is wet with fuel.  Suspect the line from the cell pick-up has developed a hole or the threads are loose - nope everything is tight.  Suspect lift pump so change that out and send driver out with a full tank, ~30 minutes later same thing.  Change fuel filter, fill and send me out, ~30 minutes later same thing except I also note the vent line is spewing fuel.  Perhaps the in-line filter on the vent to keep dirt out now saturated with fuel is acting sort of like a check valve, remove that, send driver out, same thing.  The vent line is clear, how could we possibly be pressuring the vent line?  Nothing had materially changed on the car since it was built in 2014, this is the first time it acted that way.

The  only thing that changed since last race was the transmission. Inspect the fuel lines front to rear and find there is only 1/4" between the exhaust and the return fuel line at only one point about 2 feet before it gets to the surge tank.  The best we could figure out it was hot enough at that point to boil the fuel forming a bubble and sending it to the surge, this would travel to the cell and overwhelm the vent line pushing fuel out the vent.  When we reinstalled the exhaust it must have shifted to a spot it had never been before as we had the exhaust off plenty of times but never had this problem.  The exhaust connection is a ball and cup so it can be mounted at different angles.  Adjust that and the car runs great. 

It is now night, we all only had 6-7 laps in the day and we decide to just have fun out there.

JJ goes out for 1.5 hours, does 3:38.

Knuckles goes out for 1.5 hours, turns 3:46.

Fireball turned 3:34 in his 6-7 laps during the day.  Goes out in the dark determined to beat his daylight lap, takes 1 hour 20 minutes to hit 3:33 then calls it a night and we nap till dawn.

I go out in the daylight for 1 hour 58 minutes stint and am out of gas but enough to make it back to the pits.  I did this to get one solid data point for fuel consumption if we are ever lucky enough to race there again.  All of my laps were 3:35+ till I managed to latch onto SoA and he showed me the way to 3:30.7, I am not a quick learner at a new track.

JJ only has 1 hour 20 left and does 3:31.5 in the day.

What an awesome facility and track, we would tow the 15 hours there again in a heart beat as we all want another chance at it.  Thanks ChampCar staff for holding another great race.

• Like 7

Ive seen a couple of mentions about a GT3 Cup car out testing.  What's the deal with that?  While the race was going on?

11 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

Ive seen a couple of mentions about a GT3 Cup car out testing.  What's the deal with that?  While the race was going on?

He was testing and put in a fair number of laps both day and night.  He was told to behave and be courteous and he was, I waved him by a couple of times.  No issues here.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

He was testing and put in a fair number of laps both day and night.  He was told to behave and be courteous and he was, I waved him by a couple of times.  No issues here.  

Yea he was SUPER courteous considering an order of magnitude more grip and multiple times more power.  So awesome though, it was silly fast and funny to watch them close the gap on our "Fast" teams on the front straight

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

EC class! This is a class we need to start supporting to attract more racing teams to join us when they feel like their car can't meet the rules. There was a Porsche Boxster out at BIR doing testing on Sunday in EC. 

• Like 3

Just to be clear, Im cool with it being out there, was just wondering what the deal was.  The Canadian Series is now running mini endures within the main race (1 hour, 3 hour) and opening it up to all types of race cars.  All good in my mind if it helps the series to be financially healthy.  Typically the track isn't totally packed anyways and its pretty easy to work around mega fast (and slow) cars.  I suspect with a long track like UMC it wasn't an issue.

54 minutes ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

EC class! This is a class we need to start supporting to attract more racing teams to join us when they feel like their car can't meet the rules. There was a Porsche Boxster out at BIR doing testing on Sunday in EC. 

'twas a Cayman, not a Boxster. The way to tell the difference: Boxter looks like an ugly miata, Cayman looks like a proper Porsche

Edited by enginerd
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

You talking about Chump faces WRL car? That was a Cayman. 

1 hour ago, thewheelerZ said:

That is the point of EC. You could  try out the series in a non Champcar for up to 2 races to see if you like it enough to build a car. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

ugly miata

Hey now watch what your calling ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't want to start something here????????

1 hour ago, red0 said:

Who owns this car? It looks amazing!!

That be the Bandit Team and it is a great looking and driving car. We raced with it at Los Vegas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, red0 said:

Who owns this car? It looks amazing!!

They had the fire and the car looks sort of melted in the rear now, it was still running afterwards though.  Where did you get the picture from?  Are there pictures from the race?

30 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

They had the fire and the car looks sort of melted in the rear now, it was still running afterwards though.  Where did you get the picture from?  Are there pictures from the race?

Yea, there is an article posted in this thread.

http://camautomag.com/champcar-rocky-mountain-24-live-ish-blog/

Sucks to hear about a fire for that car. 

Edited by red0