Consensus on tires?

Shane G.

Just picked up a BMW E30 to start racing in champcar. Just wondering which tire and size, teams are having the best luck with.

1.Hankook RS-4 or Direza StarSpec D3's?

or others?

2. 225/45/15  or 205/50/15?

3. We have 15x7 rims, worth going to a wider wheel?

4. What offset works best on E30's?

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by Shane G.

245 40 15 on 15 x 10s is probably the best.

225 45 15 on 15 x8 or 15 x 9 is very close (and probably better in some situations, but not all).

I love me some RS4.  I dont think there are ZIII star specs, yet.  Just the ZIII.  I have heard mixed reviews.  I havent tried them, so take that answer with a grain of salt.

Yo, @Crank Yankers Racing

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Thanks 1

We had our e30 on some 7" wheels w/ 205 a couple weeks ago at Brainerd. I know the crowd is going wider and wider though. 225 is probably a nice size, if you go to 245 you have to do some serious work on the fenders to keep from bumping wheels with other cars on track.

As far as offset goes, I just use the Tire Rack brand wheels and whatever offset they come with.

Edited by enginerd

195 R-S4s are slightly wider than 205 Z3s and will fit on 7" rims if you want to go that route for now. Should have better wear and likely more grip.

We ran the Z3s, good tire but they didn't do as well on the hotter day (mid 90s vs mid 80s).

Edited by mender

• Administrators

I would recommend 205s on a 7-8" wheel, 225s on an 8-9" and 245s on a 9-10". 8" wheels I get at Tire Rack. 9" wheels are Rotas and 10" are Joengbloods or Bassets. I went from 225s on an 8" to 245s on a 10" this year. I also added aero but as we know it only adds drag at our speeds. I felt a BIG increase in cornering grip on the 245s this year. Depending on ride height you don't have to modify your fenders much to fit 10s on. It took us an hour for all four fenders. 

• Thanks 1

Are there any websites where you can search wheels by bolt pattern, offset, diameter, etc.? (rather than search by vehicle) 

If I search by vehicle on tire rack, I get the right bolt spacing, but I don't see the wheels with that bolt spacing but a bigger centerbore or 'incorrect' offset.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Are there any websites where you can search wheels by bolt pattern, offset, diameter, etc.? (rather than search by vehicle) 

If I search by vehicle on tire rack, I get the right bolt spacing, but I don't see the wheels with that bolt spacing but a bigger centerbore or 'incorrect' offset.

Just put in a Google search what you're looking for and see what pops up?

1.Hankook RS-4 or Direza StarSpec D3's?

or others? Hankook's have worked best for us.  They have good grip and last a long time.  Depends on your driving style and preferences.  Don't forget our sponsor, MAXXIS.  

2. 225/45/15  or 205/50/15? Depends on wheel.  Ideal would be a 9" wheel with a 225 or 10" with a 245.  As mentioned before Jongbloed or steelies are the way to go for wide wheels.  Tire Rack's TR Motorsports are ideal for an 8" wheel.

3. We have 15x7 rims, worth going to a wider wheel? Yes.

4. What offset works best on E30's? I believe it's 5" of backspace, but that's off the top of my head.  Google will help here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any chance a 225/45/15 hankook rs4  will fit on a 7" wheel?

Specs say 7-8.5" wheel, just wondering if anyone has done it and what the performance was like. 

Ive read some guys have had good luck pushing the limits on the sidewall stretch with certain tires.

Just curious if anyone has experience with this particular tire on a 7 inch wheel on an E30 in champcar... otherwise it looks next size down I'd have to run on a 195/50.

As I mentioned earlier, the R-S4 195/50/15 is actually slightly wider than the Dunlop Z3 and Bridgestone RE-71R 205/50/15 tires at 7.2", 7.1" and 7.0" respectively, so don't be fooled by the advertised tire size. Look at the specs and you'll see that.

Generally, it's better to run the widest wheel you can rather than the narrowest, controls the tire much better. A good rule of thumb is to use the same width wheel as the tire tread width.

Here's a comment from another thread that bears that out:

"I'd have to dig for the Spec Miata test data I read when we decided on wheels years ago, but IIRC 225s were 1s quicker per ~90s lap on 8" rims compared to 7", and another 1s on 9" compared to 8".

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel adding to this tire thread might be better than creating another one.

We are first-year chumps running a 95 honda civic si with pretty stiff suspension and a sohc vtech. We have 15x7   wheels.

currently, we have 205/50 R15 89W Falken RT615K  tires that are a few years old and came with the car. 

Looking to get Hankook 195/50R15 RS4  Does this seem like a fair choice for this configuration? or should I be looking at the wider 225/45-15. 

I would use the 195/50/15 R-S4s with 15x7 rims.

With 205 Z3s it looked like the 7" rim width wasn't controlling the tread face well and we had both shoulder and centre rib wear. '95 EG hatch with decent springs but still some movement.

Using 195 R-S4s on our present rims was one of my choices but I decided to go to 225/45/15s on 15x9s instead.

Edited by mender

• 2 years later...
  • Technical Advisory Committee

On 8/4/2018 at 12:37 PM, Shane G. said:

Any chance a 225/45/15 hankook rs4  will fit on a 7" wheel?

Specs say 7-8.5" wheel, just wondering if anyone has done it and what the performance was like. 

Ive read some guys have had good luck pushing the limits on the sidewall stretch with certain tires.

Just curious if anyone has experience with this particular tire on a 7 inch wheel on an E30 in champcar... otherwise it looks next size down I'd have to run on a 195/50.

They might be a touch mushroomed, but they will fit. I have run 245s on 8" wheels without issue and this should be similar.