1984 VW scirocco GTI race ready Champcar

1984 volkswagen scirocco GTI with a swap. Roll cage and teched for champcar 2018. Car is street legal with clean Minnesota title. 

Engine is from a 1995 Golf built with cam and head. Car is reliable, ready to race and comes with spares. Just finished 11th at BIR with rental drivers. Comes with 7 matching wheels and good Dunlop star spec ii race tires, spare complete engine, transmission, axles, clutch, waterpump, radiator, suspensions bits, spindles, fuel injections parts. the list goes on. Everything is up to date and ready to race. Car has low chumpcar vpi points with room to grow. Has a fuel surge tank, and can go over two hours on a tank. Seat is adjustable, fire suppression system and belts are current. exhaust system is nice and well built. last time on the scale the car weighed 1700lbs.

Also comes with a tow bar to flat tow if needed. I flat towed it from Florida to Minnesota once with a Lexus. 

Car is located in Minneapolis, MN. May deliver for the cost of diesel + lunch. 

$4400  -  PM or email joe at Randombilly2@aol.com 

pit crew no fires chumpcar race v2.jpg

2018ChampCar-0997-X3.jpg

2018ChampCar-1475-X3.jpg

chumpcar scirocco fuel gas stop 2018.jpg

Scirocco 3 wheeling.jpg

chumpcar spares 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Why can't it be competitive?

Needs the CRX Fudge Factor of 500 pounds.

'84 Scirroco shows as 1647 pounds in the swap calc with a vpi of 175. Can't swap a lawnmower engine in it.

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bandit said:

Needs the CRX Fudge Factor of 500 pounds.

'84 Scirroco shows as 1647 pounds in the swap calc with a vpi of 175. Can't swap a lawnmower engine in it.

The 1.8 Mazda L / Duratec was rated at a powerful 125hp, that should give a VPI of 241. The 2.0/2.5 response well to header and tune, if the 1.8 is the same then maybe 125whp is possible.

(I thought these where RWD, Duratec makes sense for RWD maybe there are better engines).

edit:

Still maybe not competitive, 1700 lbs / 125 whp = 13.6. Our NC has a little higher but it has everything else going for it.

But have to say, it looks awesome

Edited by turbogrill

I've owned tons of MK1 VWs and the only thing they have going for them is ultra light weight (and looks).  With the swap calculator weight so low, that is actually a disadvantage for the car.

I love these cars and I would love to race my Scirocco but it is hampered with, CIS injection, FWD, front struts, rear beam, unobtainable body parts...

• Like 3

As much as I would like that to work, the Scirocco is on its own line all by itself. 

"4.5.7. Vehicles must use the highest valued model from its generation (i.e., – E30s would use the M20B25 as the starting point)."

Also the 2307 pounds in the calculator is a mistake since there was no '93 Cabriolet.  The '92 Cabriolet is listed at 2076 pounds.

9 hours ago, Chinman said:

I've owned tons of MK1 VWs and the only thing they have going for them is ultra light weight (and looks).  With the swap calculator weight so low, that is actually a disadvantage for the car.

I love these cars and I would love to race my Scirocco but it is hampered with, CIS injection, FWD, front struts, rear beam, unobtainable body parts...

Yah all true of the Scirroco, but the GTI is easy and cheap to get body parts for!

On 2/12/2021 at 12:29 PM, Chinman said:

As much as I would like that to work, the Scirocco is on its own line all by itself. 

"4.5.7. Vehicles must use the highest valued model from its generation (i.e., – E30s would use the M20B25 as the starting point)."

Also the 2307 pounds in the calculator is a mistake since there was no '93 Cabriolet.  The '92 Cabriolet is listed at 2076 pounds.

https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/cabriolet/1993/st-4032/features-specs/

4 hours ago, 67Mustang said:

Change emblems... Bam  done...

The roof lines and hood are lower then the Rabbits, the tub is very similar, the cars are different platforms and the MK1 is different then the MK2. Same with the Rabbits MK1 pre 80 to 84 are different than the 1985 on up. Don't know how this affects swaps but there are fairly significant differences.

10 minutes ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

The roof lines and hood are lower then the Rabbits, the tub is very similar, the cars are different platforms and the MK1 is different then the MK2. Same with the Rabbits MK1 pre 80 to 84 are different than the 1985 on up. Don't know how this affects swaps but there are fairly significant differences.

Understood,  You could find arguments from both directions going back in this series with some feeling it is clear and others feeling it can be very selectively approved.  YMMV....  Similar example might be 66-70 mustangs.  Among a lot of other changes, fuel tank size grew by several gallons and the wheelbase, floor pans and the front suspension are the same part numbers, but you can't stick a 1970 sized tank in a 66 Mustang....  They are all series one but..... Some would argue certain other cars have been allowed to do exactly that same thing with no points.  Again, YMMV lol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mender said:

You're right, there was a '93 Cabriolet, but it's still on a different line than the Scirocco.  Strangely though, the Pickup and Convertible are on the same line. 

Really A1 VWs are too slow and nothing good can be swapped in to fix it.  For example if you take a 1988 16V Scirocco and enter it in to the swap calculator with its original 123 horsepower, it adds 51 points.  The '81 Scirocco is even worse.  To stay in class A that motor is the hottest option VW has.