Ron_e

2019 races

19 hours ago, Burningham said:

???  There are 2 Harris Hill races shown on the schedule, one in the spring and another in the fall.

On Bill's PDF they moved the fall race to the spring.

On 11/23/2018 at 8:16 AM, Bill Strong said:

I am updating the schedule page now.

All HTML pages are updated. Here is the new printable schedule. It does not show Laguna yet. That will post when I get the date and contract.

https://champcar.org/mainweb/pdf/2019Schedule.pdf

Hi Bill,

Events for February 2019 shows a VIR 12Hr on February 1 & 2.

I believe that should be the March 1&2 12Hr. {which is on the schedule}

Thanks for all your contributions.

As much as I enjoy Harris Hill, it's really a shame we can not get more races in the south central area. We've done many races across the country and will continue to do so, but it would be nice if we could race within an eight hour haul. It's a shame with so many tracks in this area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, HTRDCowboy said:

As much as I enjoy Harris Hill, it's really a shame we can not get more races in the south central area. We've done many races across the country and will continue to do so, but it would be nice if we could race within an eight hour haul. It's a shame with so many tracks in this area.

See if you can talk COTA into cutting their price in half, I know a lot of us would show up there again if it became available. To me that is still the ultimate race track experience. I expect Indy to be epic just because it is Indy, but I won’t expect it to top the overall experience of COTA. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burningham said:

See if you can talk COTA into cutting their price in half, I know a lot of us would show up there again if it became available. To me that is still the ultimate race track experience. I expect Indy to be epic just because it is Indy, but I won’t expect it to top the overall experience of COTA. 

They should be making more money than they have in the past. NASA had two events there last year, with Nationals being packed. SCCA is on the calendar again for 2019, there should be room for ChampCar!

40 minutes ago, Wink said:

They should be making more money than they have in the past. NASA had two events there last year, with Nationals being packed. SCCA is on the calendar again for 2019, there should be room for ChampCar!

IndyCar makes its debut next year to. WRL fills the field every year in December. Wasn't the last ChampCar race at COTA held in August? We'd need a better date, I think. August is not the time to race in central Texas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TBone said:

IndyCar makes its debut next year to. WRL fills the field every year in December. Wasn't the last ChampCar race at COTA held in August? We'd need a better date, I think. August is not the time to race in central Texas.

The first one was in August.  It was hot, but hey we race in the southeast in the summer so it can be done.  The second one was in May which was perfect as far as I was concerned.  The problem was the car count was in the 60's which didn't cover the cost from what I was told, hence the series hasn't been back.  

We lost a ton of money at COTA in the last race.  We could try again, but we would need to charge a lot for each team.

WRL does ok (not great) there because it shares the expenses and gets attendance by bringing in other organizations.  Pretty smart move, maybe we could do that too.  

40 minutes ago, Burningham said:

The first one was in August.  It was hot, but hey we race in the southeast in the summer so it can be done.  The second one was in May which was perfect as far as I was concerned.  The problem was the car count was in the 60's which didn't cover the cost from what I was told, hence the series hasn't been back.  

I believe it was Mother's Day weekend. Moms trump racing for a lot of people. 

I don't get it either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jer said:

WRL does ok (not great) there because it shares the expenses and gets attendance by bringing in other organizations.  Pretty smart move, maybe we could do that too.  

I would bet the WRL overhead cost is a fraction of Champcar, that should be more of a differentiator at small events than big ones, but obviously they can only spread that low overhead so thin.

I live in Austin. I am aware of all these tracks within 8 hours of Austin:

Harris Hill (Austin)

CotA (Austin)

MSR Houston (Houston)

Eagles Canyon (Dallas)

MSR Cresson (Dallas)

NOLA (New Orleans)

Hallett (Tulsa)

Texas World Speedway (gone, but not forgotten)

Racing is hot in the summer time. That should not surprise anyone.

We pit in a parking lot at Harris, and we race there anyhow.  So can MSR Cresson be any different?

Other org entry at CotA was $2200.  Indy next year with Champ is $2800.  Both grids are sold out.  Cost can’t be the problem at CotA.

Eagles Canyon - what is up with that track? They promised to fix the track, did that not happen?

NOLA?  Hallett?  Other orgs race there - and Hallett rocks!!

Jus did a Nov race (another org) at MSR Houston - they started 113 cars!  Champ’s July race there had only about 30 cars.  Was it only the heat?

Me and my team would love to race only Champ - it’s hands down the best racing, and we built our car to Champ rules.

We will be at both Champ races in Texas this year, just like we were at all 3 last year.

But we would like to do more Champ races (i.e., spend more money with Champ) in Texas, or within an 8 hour haul.

Would like to hear what happened with Eagles Canyon?  And if the other tracks listed have even been considered.

Edited by Rick.Cook23@yahoo.com
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One more thought - if entry cost is what is ruling out more races in, or close to, Texas...

Our car is prepared “on the cheap”. We get most parts from salvage yards or Rock Auto.

We flat tow our car to the races (no trailer at all, let alone a motor home with enclosed trailer, etc.)

We are about the lowest budget team I know, but even we spend far less on entry than in all other racing expenses:

Tires

Spare parts

Fuel and other fluids (oil, brake)

Teams have spent way more on trucks for hauling, giant enclosed trailers, generators, air compressors, motor homes...

Entry fees are a drop in the bucket.

What I’m saying is: if I had to pay $200, or $300, or even $500 more in entry fee - in exchange for more racing in/around Texas,

then I would.  I bet other Texas-based teams would do the same.  Maybe send out a survey and ask?  Or maybe Champ already

has the answer with the poor turnout in July at MSR Houston this year?  

Edited by Rick.Cook23@yahoo.com
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 10:21 PM, Rick.Cook23@yahoo.com said:

I live in Austin. I am aware of all these tracks within 8 hours of Austin:

Harris Hill (Austin)

CotA (Austin)

MSR Houston (Houston)

Eagles Canyon (Dallas)

MSR Cresson (Dallas)

NOLA (New Orleans)

Hallett (Tulsa)

Texas World Speedway (gone, but not forgotten)

Racing is hot in the summer time. That should not surprise anyone.

We pit in a parking lot at Harris, and we race there anyhow.  So can MSR Cresson be any different?

Other org entry at CotA was $2200.  Indy next year with Champ is $2800.  Both grids are sold out.  Cost can’t be the problem at CotA.

Eagles Canyon - what is up with that track? They promised to fix the track, did that not happen?

NOLA?  Hallett?  Other orgs race there - and Hallett rocks!!

Jus did a Nov race (another org) at MSR Houston - they started 113 cars!  Champ’s July race there had only about 30 cars.  Was it only the heat?

Me and my team would love to race only Champ - it’s hands down the best racing, and we built our car to Champ rules.

We will be at both Champ races in Texas this year, just like we were at all 3 last year.

But we would like to do more Champ races (is, spend more money with Champ) in Texas, or within an 8 hour haul.

Would like to hear what happened with Eagles Canyon?  And if the other tracks listed have even been considered.

This is exactly what I was getting at, I hadn't intended it to turn into a why don't we race at COTA. I fully understand that without the car count, COTA will be hard to go back to, but I agree the last date on Mothers day was not good for the car count. Eagles Canyon is rebuilding the track and should be great when it's done, but I think the weather has put them behind, hopefully they'll get it done soon. To add to the list, there's also TMS and although at the edge of a eight hour haul there's Heartland Park. They have repaved the track and it much better on the tire wear. If we don't start having more races in the south central area then I'm afraid we'll loosing the rest of the teams in this area.

Edited by HTRDCowboy
  • Like 1

Texas weather is mild enough in the November to March to schedule races. The issue seems to be to get teams outside Texas to attend to make it financially sound for this series. 

Maybe a grand slam run? ( COTA, Daytona, Indy, Laguna Seca) 

Just dreaming. 

Edited by Cam Benty

This may be turning into a different topic, so let me know...

Another racing org had 117 cars entered at MSR Houston just 3 weeks ago.  113 started the race.

Entry fee was $1400 min (more with more than minimum number of drivers).  Roughly speaking, that’s $150,000.

Tracks, EMTs, officials, equipment - lots of hands in that $150,000 cookie jar - but there had to be some money made somewhere.

Those 117 teams either came from in/around Texas, or they hauled in from parts much further away.

Ive seen other Chump events with high number of entries, but not here in Texas.  Why is that, when they will show up for other orgs?

i think there are way more racing teams here in Texas already.  We jus need them to come out for Champ races.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 12:04 AM, Rick.Cook23@yahoo.com said:

This may be turning into a different topic, so let me know...

Another racing org had 117 cars entered at MSR Houston just 3 weeks ago.  113 started the race.

Entry fee was $1400 min (more with more than minimum number of drivers).  Roughly speaking, that’s $150,000.

Tracks, EMTs, officials, equipment - lots of hands in that $150,000 cookie jar - but there had to be some money made somewhere.

Those 117 teams either came from in/around Texas, or they hauled in from parts much further away.

Ive seen other Chump events with high number of entries, but not here in Texas.  Why is that, when they will show up for other orgs?

i think there are way more racing teams here in Texas already.  We jus need them to come out for Champ races.

Last race I did at MSRH with Champcar, the turnout was pretty poor.  But I can tell you I heard many common-sense explanations such as “well everyone did such and such race last weekend”, or “that other org is also racing this weekend and pulled a lot of cars”.  

Sure sounded like a bad spot on the calendar is all.  There’s a lot of teams in Texas that want to race with CC.  With the WRL arms race steadily moving that series upmarket,  CC sits in a sweet spot for us average-joes that want to actually race. 

On 11/27/2018 at 9:21 PM, Rick.Cook23@yahoo.com said:

Eagles Canyon was repaving and didn't want us on it so soon after repaving.  

Also, we lost many. many 10s of thousands of dollars at COTA.  60 teams was not nearly enough, forget overhead.  I'm talking fees against track rental.  At indy it's even worse.  We are not making much of anything there but are proud just to bring it to the series, and 100 teams allows us to keep it on the schedule in the future.  We could talk about COTA again but not in 2019.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jer said:

Also, we lost many. many 10s of thousands of dollars at COTA.  60 teams was not nearly enough, forget overhead.  I'm talking fees against track rental.  At indy it's even worse.  We are not making much of anything there but are proud just to bring it to the series, and 100 teams allows us to keep it on the schedule in the future.  We could talk about COTA again but not in 2019.  

I'm sure you guys have looked into all the options, but have Hallett and Heartland Park been considered?

1 hour ago, karman1970 said:

I'm sure you guys have looked into all the options, but have Hallett and Heartland Park been considered?

I mentioned Hallett and if WRL ever vacated it we would jump in.  We are not sure how much support there would be for a race there.  We did race there in the past but had poor attendance.  That was a long time ago, though.  

On Heartland, it was discussed but we would up replacing Brainerd with Hastings this year.  I think we will bump that race around until it finds its forever home haha.  Heartland might be up next if Hastings doesn't work.  The good news on Hastings is the track is very reasonable to rent, unlike Heartland Park.  

5 minutes ago, Jer said:

I mentioned Hallett and if WRL ever vacated it we would jump in.  We are not sure how much support there would be for a race there.  We did race there in the past but had poor attendance.  That was a long time ago, though.  

On Heartland, it was discussed but we would up replacing Brainerd with Hastings this year.  I think we will bump that race around until it finds its forever home haha.  Heartland might be up next if Hastings doesn't work.  The good news on Hastings is the track is very reasonable to rent, unlike Heartland Park.  

Hallett is awesome. Run one direction each day, even better.

10 minutes ago, shutupracing said:

Hallett is awesome. Run one direction each day, even better.

I brought it up.  As we flesh out the west and make good decisions on where to run and where to stop, we can take more chances.  This is one I will recommend again. 

• Like 1