Bill Strong

2018 Lifeline 24-Hour Classic at VIR Race Recap

3 hours ago, Ron_e said:

What's up with the truck parked beside the track at 1:37:15?

2 hours ago, Snorman said:

That's a very interesting observation. Later in the day on Saturday, I rode one of our pit bikes up to the south paddock just to watch some of the cars coming out of Oak Tree. While I was heading up there, I saw a white/silver Ford truck drive through the grass on the TRACK side of the flag stand coming out of Oak Tree. Not sure how it got there, or why it was on the track side of the fence, but it was there. 

S. 

Food delivery truck I believe. I've seen it before at VIR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jimmy decided to take a lap.......

Food delivery truck for dinner and then again at breakfast. 

Food delivery truck and no yellow?  Someone likes to live dangerously. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigyellow said:

Here it is, the video you've all been waiting for....the infamous duck incident

Was there more than one duck incident?  This footage looks like it is of Bio hitting the duck, but earlier CTM posted video hitting it.  Is this a hit to the duck by BIO that happened after the CTM hit?  The video is grainy so it is hard to tell if the duck is already down at this point

11 hours ago, bigyellow said:

Here it is, the video you've all been waiting for....the infamous duck incident

Wait a minute... it was the Green MR2???  Its official... those guys ARE evil cheaters! ;)

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2018 at 10:31 AM, krackerx said:

Nls needs to sort through our GoPro footage but according to the driver at the time we may have footage to review the carnage and find the guilty party in this terrible incident.😪

#justiceforbirdie

I have reviewed the footage from NLS camera and it has been determined that if it wasn’t dead when it hit the first car then we surely killed it as we ran it over. #RIPDUCK

3 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Food delivery truck and no yellow?  Someone likes to live dangerously. 

Look closer.  T4 flag guy was walking back to the stand.  T5 is displaying yellow/white (1:37.06) and the T6 stand (where the truck is) also has the white/yellow out (1:37.13).

Actually, it basically shows a lot of PUY.

Edited by Bremsen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/18/2018 at 7:50 AM, Racer28173 said:

@RandomTask  here is some odd blocking at 6:15...

The red glove gave it away; that was our absolute most novice driver. I asked him to stay out of other people's way. He's never been wheel to wheel or on VIR. As stated, he was probably overwhelmed; getting passed on the left, thinking you would follow suit. He honestly wasn't blocking but just trying to get out of your way. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2018 at 8:37 AM, Wyatt said:

Looks like an overwhelmed and over stimulated driver.

The driver of that car at the start of the race, for me was being unnecessarily defensive, but fair.

When you say "unnecessarily defensive", can you explain? 

1 hour ago, RandomTask said:

When you say "unnecessarily defensive", can you explain? 

Sure, that's paraphrasing for,

The driver could have strategically yielded to me and other cars around me and had overall maintained a higher average speed.

They didn't do anything wrong, just an observation. 

Edited by Wyatt

10 hours ago, RandomTask said:

I asked him to stay out of other people's way. He's never been wheel to wheel or on VIR. As stated, he was probably overwhelmed; getting passed on the left, thinking you would follow suit. He honestly wasn't blocking but just trying to get out of your way. 

You might be to blame for his erratic behavior then. A guy in a Corvette, pinched the corner down to the right to "stay out of the way" of a VW Golf, causing that traffic jam. You can't "stay out of the way" with a hundred cars on track, you've got to run a consistent line so faster cars can anticipate where your car is going to be when they get there. This really holds true for the straights. Don't do any favors and run down the wrong side of the straight. It makes you even slower, and people are just wondering when you are going to dart back onto the line.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

Starting to get our videos uploaded.  @elongoran this first driver had a pretty good run with your car for a few

Sweet radar detector bro!

Yea, I know it measures cornering G-force. 

37 minutes ago, red0 said:

Sweet radar detector bro!

Its how we speed down pit lane without getting caught

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jab31169 said:

Starting to get our videos uploaded.  @elongoran this first driver had a pretty good run with your car for a few

Look at this fancy guy with his two camera system, I thought we were doing good having the rear view in the frame. /s

In all seriousness, I had a blast racing you, thanks for coming by the pit after the stint. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Look at this fancy guy with his two camera system, I thought we were doing good having the rear view in the frame. /s

In all seriousness, I had a blast racing you, thanks for coming by the pit after the stint. 

Yea with renters we wanted to be able to see all angles of the car.  It saved our bacon at Road ATL when a renter was involved in a incident that they were not at fault for.

Yea man!!  Good times for sure.  Looking forward to watching the footage from my stint with you guys in it.

4 hours ago, tommytipover said:

You might be to blame for his erratic behavior then. A guy in a Corvette, pinched the corner down to the right to "stay out of the way" of a VW Golf, causing that traffic jam. You can't "stay out of the way" with a hundred cars on track, you've got to run a consistent line so faster cars can anticipate where your car is going to be when they get there. This really holds true for the straights. Don't do any favors and run down the wrong side of the straight. It makes you even slower, and people are just wondering when you are going to dart back onto the line.

I’m really trying to take this constructively, but I’m starting to sense that no matter what I do, people are just going to nitpick/complain. The vette pulls harder out of turns and is faster on the straights and we’re faster than a lot of the field (Our FTD was ~2:17). I had numerous instances (wouldn’t be exaggerating to say at least a dozen) do the exact same thing to me on the back and front straight where the vette is definitively stronger than most the field.  Slow car to left, slower car in middle. Started looking right only to get pinched out. I simply backed off. I specifically recall one time on the back straight where another car went hard right, pushing me into the grass and I backed off. As the passing car, it’s my job to pass cleanly and safely. I don’t get upset, nor do I think it is complaint worthy, I just wait for a better time to pass; I just accept that as having a speed discrepancy between vehicles.  

So please take this with a grain of salt and perhaps it’s frustration speaking that we’re constantly complained about, your team might have experienced it once because your  driver was faster than ours at the time. We experience this sort of behavior from multiple vehicles, constantly.

We had zero contact this race. There were multiple times where some other team being insanely aggressive, where (at least for me) I had clear right of line, only to back off because of some other person going stupid and avoid destroying both cars.  (We could talk about the white and blue BMW that decided putting his right side on the gators on T10 was a fantastic place to pass, and him pushing wide, forcing me to go wide else I would have taken us both out, then having to lay on the brakes to avoid swallowing a slower car in the right?

Where are the videos of the other cars that did make contact so we can scrutinize them?  It seems serendipitous that we haven’t seen any of those video’s. . . but people pore over their videos to look for a reason to complain about the vette.

Again, may be its frustration but I’m really starting to get a sense of “damned if you do, damned if you don’t”.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

Again, may be its frustration but I’m really starting to get a sense of “damned if you do, damned if you don’t”.

Welcome to Champcar

Also for what its worth, never heard anything bad about your car while we were at the track.  Also remember the forum is representative of .6% of the actual people who race in Champcar.

Edited by Jab31169
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

frustration

Sounds like you have sorted the previous years issues, it's now time to worry less about the critics and get on with having fun.

• Like 6

Hey Random fyi,  I never had a problem with your car at any time.  Some people need more patience and mature.  I'm not impressed with fastest time when your down in the final standings.    I started in Corvettes in IMSA & Trans-Am.  Glad to see you out there.  Do yourself a favor and put a front end on.   I learned from the absolute best at the time  (John Greenwood)

Edited by DEE DEE
  • Like 1

Just race and love everyone. Besides, the harder you race the better show you make "Bill and the Boys."

Edited by Wyatt
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

Just race and love everyone. Besides, the harder you race the better show you make "Bill and the Boys."

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RandomTask said:

We had zero contact this race. There were multiple times where some other team being insanely aggressive, where (at least for me) I had clear right of line, only to back off because of some other person going stupid and avoid destroying both cars.  (We could talk about the white and blue BMW that decided putting his right side on the gators on T10 was a fantastic place to pass, and him pushing wide, forcing me to go wide else I would have taken us both out, then having to lay on the brakes to avoid swallowing a slower car in the right?

Where are the videos of the other cars that did make contact so we can scrutinize them?  It seems serendipitous that we haven’t seen any of those video’s. . . but people pore over their videos to look for a reason to complain about the vette.

Well that's better than us...we had three contacts on track. Albeit, we were hit by other cars, but a contact is a contact. 

If your team had a clean 24 hours of racing that's pretty good. 

S. 

@RandomTask   I gave  you feedback, both good and bad, because I thought you were looking for it.  The move in the video seemed like one that could have gotten the guy in trouble (it was an awfully sudden move) so I thought you might want to see it.  

By no means did I drive a perfect race (and my biggest mistake has been posted elsewhere).  I go over my video and see stuff I wish I had done differently after EVERY race. That includes a win and a second place.  Just trying to help. 

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 2

Sorry @RandomTask  I was hoping to be constructive. It is just that "stay out of the way" is a hot button phrase for me. Your guy would have been much better off to let the car track out to the left and then  used all your Corvettiveness to beat the VW and the camera car to turn 1. Moving out of the way causes confusion, it's much better to stay where your supposed to be and make the passer go around you.

Big Corvette fan here too! I want to see them do good here in CCES.