Bill Strong

2018 Lifeline 24-Hour Classic at VIR Race Recap

1 minute ago, wvumtnbkr said:

How'd yall get around Bill "The sticker Nazi" Strong with your decals where they are?

Good Job!  With some more powah that thing could be a top contender!

We cut them out of the number plates and still use all the decals. I've seen a number of teams do it and we haven't gotten a talking-to so figure we're good, lol.

Yeah...we've talked intermittently about putting the V6 in this car for no points (the 626 came with a V6 or 4-banger). We'd pick up quite a bit of power, would burn more fuel, might lose some reliability. But it's been a discussion. This is pretty much a "rental unit" now that we're bringing out the Cobra in September. 

S. 

46 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

Got in at 2AM last night. 

From this weekend, our recap - 

Joe...sorry to hear it. I saw you guys thrashing on the car all weekend in the paddock. Brian is a friend of mine, and he gave me a few updates through the day. 

Good luck getting everything squared away. 

S. 

23 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Joe...sorry to hear it. I saw you guys thrashing on the car all weekend in the paddock. Brian is a friend of mine, and he gave me a few updates through the day. 

Good luck getting everything squared away. 

S. 

Thanks. Yeah, some really wonky stuff happened that we've never experienced. 

We had a delrin trailing arm bushing that playdoughed itself out of the dog bone. . .Never seen that before. . .

Killed a brand new optispark; installed replacement that was DOA.  (Many thanks to Dave for letting us borrow their spare!) 

Lost oil fill plug in the pan that had been torqued. . . (Quantum saved us on this!)

Brand new wheel bearing started going bad; finished the race with it but won't start a new one with it. 

C-Beam bolt nut backed off (And it was a friggin nylock!)

Battery completely imploded; the pyrometer had it at 192*F after about 5 minutes of sitting out of the car.

I really wanted Brian to take the checkered since he traveled the furthest for the race but he had to get out of there.  I am glad we got to run till the finish but it was a herculean effort to keep this frigging car running. 

And thanks to you and your son for lugging that crap up here! Hope you have a safe trip back! 

• Like 1

A few notes and a question:

There was an orange (or yellow?) Honda (?) that had crazy amounts of crabbing going on (had to turn to go straight).  It was hilarious to follow them through the esses.

There were a few Miatas out there with pretty good acceleration down the straights (one was EC and I imagine at least one was swapped)

For the non-swapped Miata guys, were you even having to lift going into South Bend?  Were you flat out from turn 4 all of the way to Oak Tree? 

Also, is there some bad info in the fast lap info on the web?  Two cars below 2:10?  One of them Bear Ass?  Seems wrong.

Edited by Racer28173

6 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

There was an orange (or yellow?) Honda (?) that had crazy amounts of crabbing going on (had to turn to go straight). 

We broke our rear sway bar arm during the night. It was very....floaty. We also broke a rear upper control arm mount, so you could have seen it for those couple of laps.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Can't swing a dead cat.....

I've heard that line somewhere....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Racer28173 speaking for the non-swapped Miata guys (1.6l Spec), we were still braking and downshifting into South Bend. It's flat from T4b until there though:

Advantage of our light car is that we can go round the outside of cars whilst flat in the final part of the esses, this was very useful for getting around cars that were more powerful in a straight line but slower over a full lap:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Things went pretty well for the first race on a brand new build.  We could not be happier to make the podium with an untested car, especially considering the issues we fought through.

Also ended up getting a "random" free Dyno pull out of the deal, so theres that.  Saw hide nor hair of anyone involved in the march deal, big surprise.  If anyone was wondering, it was 165 HP and 172tq.

Congratulations to Bimmerline and R-Bank, both putting on impressive performances as always.  Rbank making the podium in 2 out of 3 24's is seriously hardcore!

Special thanks to @preston_brown and @elongoran, without either team hooking me up with spare parts, I could not have made the race with the new car if not for them.

@Burningham set our fastest lap of the race, and was generally a pleasure to be around, as usual.  

@Jab31169, your beer is delicious, thanks for the swap.

@pintodave, i think we got to speak briefly on friday, sorry we didn't get to hang out more.  Best wishes on your truck troubles.

Video of things to come, along with the Over/Under performance chart.  However, the sketchy timing will make that difficult i think.  Not sure which laps to throw out, especially with some of the close cases - Some seem possible, but faster than previous years.

beast mode -2:14

SRI E36 - 2:11

Race Team INC - 2:14

Racing for Heroes - 2:16

CMD Auto Integra - 2:04 . (is this the EC TypeR?)

Also, thanks to Champcar and the race volunteers, I know I saw members of Running Bulls, JAS, and Bliss racing wearing reflective vests.

PS: Mike, the vests still say ChUmpcar on them..  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Huggy said:

@Burningham set our fastest lap of the race, and was generally a pleasure to be around, as usual.  

It was all the coaching that I provided...

But agree that @Burningham is a pleasure to be around- hope you made it home without incident.

• Like 1

Would LOVE to see any footage of Biohazard spinning in the oil exiting the lower esses in that oil spill.  I still don't know how I didn't get hit or hit the inside tires.

Mad props to the InActiv Motorsports gang for prepping a solid reliable race car.  Once again the Mazda 626 was a very well balanced and fun car to toss around a twisty track.  I know the amount of work they continuously put into this car and it shows with a first class rental experience and a class win.  This was not only my first visit to VIR but also my first ever time getting to race at night and it went extremely well.  Was able to crank out the car's fastest lap during the daylight hours as well as the night.  That's a testament to the preparation of the car as I could trust it during the night to get within 2 seconds of my daylight time.  The night stint was very eye opening especially as that fog rolled in.  There was a lot of trust required in your fellow competitor to go door to door in the those conditions so congratulations to everyone.  Overall I felt during 2-4pm and midnight to 2am when I was out there the competitors behaved quite well.  I actually was wondering when I would get a caution to rest during the night stint about 45 minutes in.  I think my big takeaway from night racing is to be fair but very decisive on your passing.  Thank you to VIR and ChampCar staff for the great event.

@Snorman 

@Snake

@MoparBoyy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Mikelly said:

Would LOVE to see any footage of Biohazard spinning in the oil exiting the lower esses in that oil spill.  I still don't know how I didn't get hit or hit the inside tires.

That was pure chaos...Was that the Vette's drain plug or did someone lose an engine at the top of the roller coaster??  Cars were going everywhere...Mine included...I guess it was the Biohazard car that looked like it was in the tires wayyyyyy down at the bottom of the hog pen?  Then my lights got coated with the oil dry and I was like Stevie Wonder out there...

Edited by Quicker10u

Pit out report since I was there for nearly 18 hours. For the most part you guys behaved pretty well. My wife, Jackie has worked a lot of the races recently and has come back with stories of some rude drivers (more on that further down). Guys and gals have to remember that the staff and volunteers are out there for you guys to have fun. We all have a vested interest in coming back to family and I wondered about some of you. We found countless loose belts with probably us having to tighten 50% of them (Mike may have more on that in the coming weeks), window nets down, helmet stickers not installed, drivers with no driver bands on even well into the race Sunday.

I had one driver in particular about 5 hours into the race come to a stop second in line and I heard him as I was walking up say basically say "Hurry the F up". Totally not needed, especially since he had 25 seconds left on his timer and they were not in the Top 10. Got to think to yourselves, "These people are here doing their job BEFORE I can do mine."

We try not to turn cars around if we have time, but it does get old and we like to have fun with it. I asked the Eagle Talon guys early Sunday morning how many stops they had left. He told me 3 and I said back, "How about you guys put your window net up for the next 3 stops." He said "Deal". I had to put it up at least twice with Jackie doing it once as well.

With all the safety issues I did have multiple people tell me "Thank you" not only for fixing issues, but also for sweating our tails off. I even got a hand shake from one of the #346 E46 drivers, I believe. Maybe for the Navy hat, but still.

Remember, volunteers are there for you to have fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 13

20 minutes ago, Quicker10u said:

That was pure chaos...Was that the Vette's drain plug or did someone lose an engine at the top of the roller coaster??  Cars were going everywhere...Mine included...I guess it was the Biohazard car that looked like it was in the tires wayyyyyy down at the bottom of the hog pen?  Then my lights got coated with the oil dry and I was like Stevie Wonder out there...

I think our car might have been broken during that fun - what time did it happen?

This was before dark down exiting T6.  You're thinking of the chaos that eventually put us out of the race.  We didn't hit the tires, fortunately.  Most of our ontrack problems were due to an issue with the brake system.

10pm almost on the nose, I went off on it and pitted immediately as we were due a stop and it was clearly going to be a FCY:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

I think our car might have been broken during that fun - what time did it happen?

10PM or so IIRC...

28 minutes ago, Quicker10u said:

Mine was before nightfall.  Somebody oiled down the track between T5-Bridge straight.  I was in the middle of passing a Miata when I ran thru it and spun.  Cars scattered like leaves on a fall day to miss me!!

2 minutes ago, Rapido said:

10pm almost on the nose, I went off on it and pitted immediately as we were due a stop and it was clearly going to be a FCY:

Niiice driving!!

Edited by Mikelly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikelly said:

Because we were all spinning too...  I was third in line and decided to put two in the dirt/grass while you guys were on the teacup ride...  once I cleared 17, I dove into pit road since it was end of my stint anyway...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Huggy said:

Things went pretty well for the first race on a brand new build.  We could not be happier to make the podium with an untested car, especially considering the issues we fought through.

Also ended up getting a "random" free Dyno pull out of the deal, so theres that.  Saw hide nor hair of anyone involved in the march deal, big surprise.  If anyone was wondering, it was 165 HP and 172tq.

Congratulations to Bimmerline and R-Bank, both putting on impressive performances as always.  Rbank making the podium in 2 out of 3 24's is seriously hardcore!

Special thanks to @preston_brown and @elongoran, without either team hooking me up with spare parts, I could not have made the race with the new car if not for them.

@Jab31169, your beer is delicious, thanks for the swap.

@pintodave, i think we got to speak briefly on friday, sorry we didn't get to hang out more.  Best wishes on your truck troubles.

Video of things to come, along with the Over/Under performance chart.  However, the sketchy timing will make that difficult i think.  Not sure which laps to throw out, especially with some of the close cases - Some seem possible, but faster than previous years.

beast mode -2:14

SRI E36 - 2:11

Race Team INC - 2:14

Racing for Heroes - 2:16

CMD Auto Integra - 2:04 . (is this the EC TypeR?)

Also, thanks to Champcar and the race volunteers, I know I saw members of Running Bulls, JAS, and Bliss racing wearing reflective vests.

PS: Mike, the vests still say ChUmpcar on them..  

CMD: 2:19.161

SRI E36: 2:22.980

From me scrolling though. 

Those fast laps were pit stops rolling over the line. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Rapido said:

Hopefully you had your racecar set to "mulch" and not "bag" during the race. 

giphy.gif

(I stole that line from one of our teammates this weekend when the Beast Mode car went off track)

S. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Snorman said:

giphy.gif

(I stole that line from one of our teammates this weekend when the Beast Mode car went off track)

S. 

Haters gonna hate. 😝

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Snorman said:

About that.........

image.png.892124ab5d19c3236b1d7bb8f9158df9.png

• Haha 1

I'll have a talk with the vette tonight and make sure it knows it was a very bad thing dumping nearly 10qts of Amsoil all over the track. 

For reals though, sorry about that guys. We were all baffled that plug just up and decided to walk out. The canton pan has provision for the level sensor. we had a level sensor in there that we torqued down, but I guess it had enough and walked away. The thread was a M20x1.5 so a replacement for it was not easy either; luckily Quantum had the die for it and some material that while didn't give us fully formed threads, gave us enough to put in there and secure it with epoxy.