Bill Strong

2018 Lifeline 24-Hour Classic at VIR Race Recap

@chip

^ look at me granny shifting and double clutching, not shifting like I should. Avoiding all the curbs... It was probably upset I wasn't driving it fast enough.

I'm such a tease ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

My fastest lap from this weekend, and I believe the FTD. 

Lost some time to traffic and a rear wheel lockup going into turn 4.

What engine is in that car, and why hasn't it been banned yet?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, enginerd said:

That's what everyone says. It's just easier to ban me instead. Leave Nebby out of this!

1 minute ago, Wyatt said:

That's what everyone says. It's just easier to ban me instead. Leave Nebby out of this!

The only impressive parts of that video were when the loud pedal was planted and you were going around cars like they were standing still... any driver can do that :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

@chip

^ look at me granny shifting and double clutching, not shifting like I should. Avoiding all the curbs... It was probably upset I wasn't driving it fast enough.

I'm such a tease ;)

You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, enginerd said:

The only impressive parts of that video were when the loud pedal was planted and you were going around cars like they were standing still... any driver can do that :)

Ha! Thanks for the laugh.

People got upset when I drove Ronald's Racer's car, then they got upset when I drove Huggies' car, then they got upset when I drove Danger Racing's SC300. Then they got upset with this car. 

I did drive an MR2 this weekend as well but thank goodness it broke. I can't imagine what the forums would look like if I had gotten a good lap in that car. Haha!

Edited by Wyatt
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, red0 said:

You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! 

We did blow up our side exit Motec System Exhaust though!

17 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

We did blow up our side exit Motec System Exhaust though!

Spoon engines, with T66 turbos with NOS and a MOTEC systems exhaust?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, red0 said:

Spoon engines, with T66 turbos with NOS and a MOTEC systems exhaust?

I heard @vtjballeng might be installing two t66 turbos. Provided he and the mad scientist @morganf get it fixed up before the next race. 

Edited by Wyatt
  • Haha 1

Here's the fast lap from the fastest driver in our standard, non superhuman, crew @morganf:

Yes, @Wyatt is that fast. @mindspin311 came in and put in some great laps this past weekend too!

3 hours ago, enginerd said:

This is a legal VQ30 build. We used to have a MUCH more powerful 1UZ in this car. We are faster now with less power for reasons other than the engine #engineering. There are several cars in the field who are faster in a straight line. The VQ30 has proven a difficult platform for us as we are now on the 3rd engine in 4 races which is MUCH less reliable than our 1UZ or even stock KA24 was. The VQ sounds loud because the muffler packing material blew out, it normally sounds much more sedate. Obviously we're still battling reliability issues and braking problems on this little guy but it's a fun ride ;) .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/15/2018 at 1:57 PM, ABR-Glen said:

The light system at High Plains is fantastic. For a little track in the middle of nowhere that runs one night race a year I think they are way ahead of the game. 

https://highplainsraceway.com/hand-controllers/

NASA uses a smartphone based app called TrackFlag that is also pretty interesting

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ionicframework.trackflag556630&hl=en_US

both require some infrastructure, but I don't think anybody is holding more 24 hour races than ChampCar this year, we should be pushing for this kind of development. 

This seems an appropriate time to mention that we are developing an in-car flagging system in cooperation with ChampCar. We race in the series too and see the same issues y'all see. The cleanest resolution is to have something reliable and clear-cut in the car that tells cars what flags are on track.

This system will undergo extensive testing before release.  Currently we are in the prototype stage.  We expect and alpha variation in the Winter of 2018/2019.  Beta testing in the second half of 2019. Production ready product in 2020. This is a tentative timeline. The product cycle is very long for this type of product because this product needs extensive testing and validation. We don't want windows blue screens, cell phone reboots or overtemps, or syncing issues. 

In short, ChampCar is taking this issue seriously and we hope to have an awesome product to help everyone in the foreseeable future.  We'll make announcements over time and at the beta stage (planned in the 2nd half of 2019), we'll be taking on beta testers who wish to participate.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

There is a yellow flag warning system  already in place and has been for years around here in the dirt cars.

50 minutes ago, vtjballeng said:

This seems an appropriate time to mention that we are developing an in-car flagging system in cooperation with ChampCar. We race in the series too and see the same issues y'all see. The cleanest resolution is to have something reliable and clear-cut in the car that tells cars what flags are on track.

This system will undergo extensive testing before release.  Currently we are in the prototype stage.  We expect and alpha variation in the Winter of 2018/2019.  Beta testing in the second half of 2019. Production ready product in 2020. This is a tentative timeline. The product cycle is very long for this type of product because this product needs extensive testing and validation. We don't want windows blue screens, cell phone reboots or overtemps, or syncing issues. 

In short, ChampCar is taking this issue seriously and we hope to have an awesome product to help everyone in the foreseeable future.  We'll make announcements over time and at the beta stage (planned in the 2nd half of 2019), we'll be taking on beta testers who wish to participate.

Great to hear! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vtjballeng said:

Here's the fast lap from the fastest driver in our standard, non superhuman, crew @morganf:

Yes, @Wyatt is that fast. @mindspin311 came in and put in some great laps this past weekend too!

This is a legal VQ30 build. We used to have a MUCH more powerful 1UZ in this car. We are faster now with less power for reasons other than the engine #engineering. There are several cars in the field who are faster in a straight line. The VQ30 has proven a difficult platform for us as we are now on the 3rd engine in 4 races which is MUCH less reliable than our 1UZ or even stock KA24 was. The VQ sounds loud because the muffler packing material blew out, it normally sounds much more sedate. Obviously we're still battling reliability issues and braking problems on this little guy but it's a fun ride ;) .

Morgan was sand-bagging:  He practically stopped the car at the top of roller coaster!

Anyone other than me notice the track map in the corner is VIR South?

Edited by Racer28173

1 hour ago, DEE DEE said:

There is a yellow flag warning system  already in place and has been for years around here in the dirt cars.

We're aware of said system and other competitive options. Sufficed to say, the existing options did not meet the needs of the current road race market.

Our aforementioned product will help racers stay safe on the track and allow stewards to better communicate to large racing fields over large geographically mixed tracks.

We've had drivers who didn't see a flag due to obstruction, been hit by a wild driver stewards were desperately black flagging to no avail, etc.  We're out there racing too and want a safe, fun environment for everyone to race in :) .

Just now, Racer28173 said:

Morgan was sand-bagging:  He practically stopped the car at the top of roller coaster!

Anyone other than me notice the track map in the corner is VIR South?

LOL.  Lesson of the day friends.  ONLY load your SmartyCAM with the track configuration you are running at tracks that have multiple configurations.  Auto-detection sometimes takes long enough just out of a pit stop to auto-detect the configuration you're not running.

While we all may hope to be fast, we'll never be Honda fast.

"The power of dreams"

Ha! All seriousness, here was a fun little bit of running I did with the KSRD team for the lead on the top of the first hour.

It was hard to not really go for it, I wanted to go really fast but those poor wheel bearings! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

While we all may hope to be fast, we'll never be Honda fast.

"The power of dreams"

Ha! All seriousness, here was a fun little bit of running I did with the KSRD team for the lead on the top of the first hour.

It was hard to not really go for it, I wanted to go really fast but those poor wheel bearings! 

Good stuff right there. Nothing cooler than 2 fast cars going through traffic, while racing the poop out of each other.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vtjballeng said:

:wub:

I was just concerned I was going to come in and weigh you guys down.

Now I need more laps too see how close I can get to @Wyatt

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Lethal Cliff said:

Good stuff right there. Nothing cooler than 2 fast cars going through traffic, while racing the poop out of each other.

Ah, it was all in good fun. The driver of the other car came over to introduce himself after I got out and we shook hands. Big smile on his face!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wyatt said:

My fastest lap from this weekend, and I believe the FTD. 

Lost some time to traffic and a rear wheel lockup going into turn 4.

Nice.

5 hours ago, DEE DEE said:

For dirt cars and other roundy-rounds, there are no local yellows. It's either FCY or green (or red). This would not be sufficient for a road race because there are many more local yellows than there are full course yellows. This system needs to know (probably through GPS) where the car is on track so that it can warn of a yellow corner that you are approaching, and then turn off after you have passed this 'yellow zone'.

Edited by enginerd

3 hours ago, Wyatt said:

Sooo... there might be an open seat in an orange e30 at Road America in 2 months, are you interested??

On topic... what a great battle!! One of these days the KSRD car will survive to the end of a race. That looked fun.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Wyatt said:

@chip

I'm such a tease ;)

Even went around the curbing on the first right hander in the esses.  Are you sure it was you in the car?

• Haha 1