Bill Strong

Official 2018 Gingerman Cookie Cutter Classic Results

15 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I had hot lap today!

That was hot fire.....

Glad you guys are ok. Oil on headers will do that, neons burn like that all the time to indicate it is time to swap in a motor with the rods still inside the block.

Edited by Black Magic

Thank you to all the Champcar Staff and volunteers, this was a very fun and well run event. I really enjoy racing at Gingerman Raceway and hope it makes it on the 2019 schedule. If you have not raced at this track, you are missing out!

I thought the driving was very clean and everyone was well behaved from what I saw during my stints, there were a few new to W2W teams and some new drivers and they too did a very nice job. 

• Like 2

The driving was really clean. I don't remember seeing much contact, and day 1 in the am people gave me tons of room as we moved up from about 60th to 9th. More patient than the east has been, another reason east coasters should give the midwest a try.

I was helping out\driving for another neon team. Rooster racing, the white neon with a green stripe.

On the good side, we were up to 9th at the end of the first stint (i love the rain) and i got the car to do a 1:50, which they were happy with. For a 2.0 engined car (not much power) that gives them alot of hope that with a swap to a 2.4 they can be competitive. 

The bad, they failed a gearbox when the clutch exploded near the end of day 1. It could hardly shift during my am stint, i could tell the clutch was hanging up but we were trying to save the swap for the evening. Brand new south bend pressure plate fractured where the plate attaches to the flywheel (this was a modular clutch). Swapped it in 20 mins and got more seat time in (it could do 1:50s once shifting didn't require throttle blips). At the very end of day 1 engine failed. Swapped motors and failed engine 2 3 laps into day 2. Instant oil pressure loss on both, like broken pickups or oil pump. 

Gave me some time to wander around and meet alot of people that aren't east coast regulars. Oh and to drink Tyler's beer....

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 1

This year's Gingerman race remided me on why we are the best series out there. It felt like it was when the series was new but there are a lot faster cars and drivers now. We had a heck of a weekend. When we finished Nelson's we ran 15.5 hours with no issue except a failing transmission. 

Friday's practice we had gremlins from the start and I think we swapped everything out that we could. Went and got two kegs and enjoyed having beer with everyone at the track. Met some new teams and thanked them for coming out to support the series. 

Saturday morning we had a very slick track. I put a driver in who was new to the track and my car. He ended his stint with getting us up to 5th place with a car that was not 100%. I got in the car and within 30 mins we had issues. The car would cut out if you drove it over 5,000 rpms. You wouldn't have a throttle and the car would just stumble. Same problem that we had Friday. We decided to drive the car under 5,000 rpms. Everyone got a stint and then we figured we would try to diagnose the issue and use it as testing for Sunday.  Saturday night we felt good and had a plan going into Sunday. If it worked at full power then we would have a podium car. If not then we would drive the track in 4th gear under 5,000 rpms. At the end of Saturday night the kegs were floating so thanks to everyone who helped :)

Sunday we had a fog delay and didn't get started until about 9:15 am. I was in the car first and was going to try the car at full power. We started 26th and I got a good jump at the start. Passed around 9 cars on the opening lap and was catching the field pretty quickly. I could see I was gaining on GWR until the power cut out. At that point the goal was to keep it on the track. About an hour in we were 17th and gaining positions and then we had contact. Going up into Turn 3 I take an outside line for momentum. I check my mirrors and no one is coming in fast so I take the line then half way up the hill I get spun out by one of our friendly team. I start the car back up and the throttle is stuck. I told the team I have to get towed in. First time being towed in for the engine not being blown up. 

I get into the pits and we get the problem fixed before the pits closed and go out to rejoin the race. We are in 33rd at this point and out of a Top 10. We decided to get people track time and diagnose the issue still. We didn't have any luck and loaded up with 30 mins left in the race. This is a mysterious issue that hopefully will be figured out. I'm taking a week off then I'll try and figure it out. 

Thanks to all the Champ Staff, Volunteers and the Gingerman track. Will be back in 2019. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

This year's Gingerman race remided me on why we are the best series out there.

amen-gif-28.gif

Alrighty teams: I have a race recap to write so let's hear what happened to your team: Feast or famine, it may make the article...

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

Alrighty teams: I have a race recap to write so let's hear what happened to your team: Feast or famine, it may make the article...

Make sure to include that Ludicrous speed broke their track record. It is now faster than the track record for NASA German Touring Unlimited. 1:42.XX is ludicrous! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

About an hour in we were 17th and gaining positions and then we had contact. Going up into Turn 3 I take an outside line for momentum. I check my mirrors and no one is coming in fast so I take the line then half way up the hill I get spun out by one of our friendly team.

Tyler-

Trying to figure out what you are saying here.  Was it:

1. you checked your mirrors for a car and thought you were clear but you were wrong and there WAS a car in close proximity

OR

2. you checked your mirrors and there was DEFINITELY no car nearby, but then shortly thereafter there was a car right with you.

If you are saying #2, that other car would have to have incredible speed (perhaps even ludicrous speed?) to have caught you so quickly.....

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Tyler-

Trying to figure out what you are saying here.  Was it:

1. you checked your mirrors for a car and thought you were clear but you were wrong and there WAS a car in close proximity

OR

2. you checked your mirrors and there was DEFINITELY no car nearby, but then shortly thereafter there was a car right with you.

If you are saying #2, that other car would have to have incredible speed (perhaps even ludicrous speed?) to have caught you so quickly.....

I was in gaggle of cars going into Turn 3. I looked in my mirrors. Nothing of danger so took my line and kept it and then I was spun out. I heard the other car might have been a little hot coming in and slid. 

28 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

1:42.9 

not bad for a 200 VPI car....

Popcorn time....😇

Remember vpi and weights are things that can be updated as we learn more. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the podium cars had champcar list weights a bit higher than "reasonable", but easily fixed with minor shaves after review. 

One of the best ideas thrown around at the track, if we dyno a few (winning) cars and post their numbers online (sometimes), why not record and post some scale readings from time to time. Would let the public know how far off their car or the listed weight is....

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

1:42.9 

not bad for a 200 VPI car....

Not bad, but with 300 points to throw on that chassis, I was expecting faster!

Also, look at the laps surrounding that fast one, and let me know if you think that 1:42.9 actually shows the potential of the car, or if it’s even faster. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Thanks 1

Post race interview with the driver stated that the 1:42.9 lap was the only clear track they had all day to try for a flyer. 

Thank you to Champcar for another terrific event.

Our race started out with a bang, as we blew a head gasket and expansion tank in the first half hour of Saturday on our M54. We managed to get a new expansion tank from a nearby dealer, and borrowed a hoist from the team running the blue FB rx7. Big thank you to the team for loaning us the hoist, as we were able to swap in our old m52tub25 Saturday afternoon so that we could run Sunday. 

Sunday, we kept our old engine together for the entire day, and had some great times running with many of you. We made it almost to the finish, and then one of our sway bar links rotated on the strut, and cut a tire on the last lap. 

• Like 1

The #55 Udder Chaos Neon team had a fun weekend.   Car ran strong and we managed it keep on track most of the weekend except for late Saturday when we lost a CV shaft. One of our more successful outings, as wrenching was primarily an after hours event.

Had a great time sharing war stories with our pit neighbor and fellow neon team -  Rooster Racing.  After a couple years of pinging Black Magic online for tips and techniques for our beloved neon, finally got to meet Drew in person.  In true Champcar comradery fashion he jumped in to help us get a clutch fork pivot ball back in place without pulling the transmission.   Thank you Drew, that saved us about 2 hours of sleep Saturday night.

Thanks to all staff and volunteers!  Looking forward to Road America......

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Racer28173 said:

@red0  which car(s) were you in this weekend?

I drove the #194 car. 

Race Report....

Caution:  This involves some HOT action and some self flaggelation....

Friday:

We start practice on Friday and the car is runnign well.  The balance is a little off and requires us to make some changes to the front and rear of the car to get the rear to follwo the front a bit better.  Couple of offs in practice that required us to straighten the airdam supports a few times.  No big deal.  Consumed much of Tyler and GWR's beer.....

Saturday:

We started well and I moved up through the field in the rain and then drying track conditions.  Car was a bit of a handful, but not bad.  As the track dried out, it became a pushy SOB!  At the first pit stop we made some front air pressure adjustments and front alignment changes (during the 5 min stop).  Erik Hardy got in the car and turned some good laps for us.  He got down to 1:47.xx.  Faster than we ran last year.  He said that the car was still pushy, so we made some coil spring adjustments during the pit stop.

I get in the car for the 3 rd stint while we were running 2nd.  The car was WAY better than earlier in the day.  I was able to drop my previous fastest laptime at this track by over 1 second.  However, I pushed too hard.  I was fuel starving around the entire track 1:40 into the stint.  I HAD to pit or come in on the wrecker....

I pitted with 2:09 left in the race.  That meant we had a decision to make...   Either push like hell, and hopefully run fast laps and use all the fuel, or conserve and try to get by with just a driver change in the last 5 minutes....

We pushed like hell.

It didnt work.

When Erik came in to the pits with 40 minutes left to go, we fueled the car with about 9 gallons of gas and I went back out.  I drove my butt off....  to a 4th place finish.  

In other words, because Erik and I didnt talk about conservation and how we was managing fuel, I assumed I could run flat out...  I stepped on my own weiner....

Sunday:

We had high hopes for Sunday!  We worked on the car for several hours on Saturday night after the race.  Starting around mid pack, I worked my way up through the field.  We initially decided to run to the last lap before the pits closed and refuel at that point.  With 20 minutes left til the end of the green flag run my team radios me and tells me I need to extend the stint until the green session is over....  Great, I wasn't conserving fuel.  Now, I need to conserve at least 5 mintues of fuel with only 20 minutes to go.....

Then, they call me the next lap and say that I need to go MUCH faster because GWR was catching us.  If I could just stay in front of them, we would be on the lead lap and be pretty close behind them, versus a lap down...  

So, yea...  I get to conserve fuel and drive my butt offf......  I cracked off 3 or 4 fastest ever laps for me in a row.  Wheew.  Made it.

At that point, we were looking pretty good!  Only us and GWR were on the lead lap.  Ludicris speed was 1 lap down AND had a penalty to serve.  Looking good for the podium!

Erik goes out for the stint after the quiet hour.  He doesnt need to conserve.  YAY!  he pushes hard and is doing well.  We were still sitting P2.  Then, he radios in that he had an off and has to come into the pits.  There is grass all through the airdam.  The engine is HOT!  The car stalls at Pit IN.  Won't restart!  Crap!  We (with the help of several other people along pit lane push the car to teh pit stall.  We check to see if the engine will still turn over with a wrench.  It does!  We try the starter again...  Nothing!  Poop.  We clean the grill and pushstart the car.  Off Erik Goes.

We are still in the top 5 and doing okay.  2nd place is still within reach!  Maybe 1st if GWR has any issues.

Erik comes in on a scheduled stop.  He has done great work and we are back in this.  We have a fantstic pit stop and I go out with the car.  At this point, we are scored in 4th one lap back from 2nd and 3rd, but we have stopped and 2nd and 3rd have not.  

About 45 minutes into my stint, I set a really HOT lap.   The car caught on fire....  

I was going into turn 10B trying to hang with GWR and I went in a bit too fast and the car slid a bit.  I matted the throttle and spun the rear tires pretty hard.  I saw smoke in the rearview and thought "Wow, this thing is making a lot of torque to spin the tires like that!".  I am driving down the back straight when fooof!  Fire on the passenger side of the firewall.  Not good.  I don't think we will be able to make the podium now....   Well, I could drive the car to the pitlane...  its a small fire...  But, there is a LOT of fuel on pit lane.   I guess I'll go to the corner worked at 11.

I had my belts off and radio disconnected quickly.  Before I even had the window net down, the corner worker had the fire mostly out.  In the video, you can see my hand on the fire pull in case I needed it.  I didnt pull it.  I didn't have to, because that corner worker was sooo quick!

After the car was towed in, we poked it and prodded and determined that the only thing near that part of the car that could have made flames like that was the catch can.  I can't remember the last time I emptied it.  Like maybe over a year ago....  The fire was probably burning for a while under the hood.  The flames came in through the firewall after the grommets all melted.

After poking it, we got a fire extinguisher handy and tried to start the car.  It started right away!  I drove it to the hose and washed the fire extinguisher goo off of every surface I could (VERY corrosive!).  

After that, we slowly loaded up and left after the awards ceremony.  

There was a gift certificate for LifeLine fire suppression system...  I snagged that up.  Even though I didnt use my bottle, it is due for recertification (or it was like last year, or maybe the year before....).  Also, the fire suppression lines that were run near were the fire were MELTED.  not a great thing.  Time for a bit nicer of a system for us.  That was probably our 1 and only warning with Fire.

Great Weekend!  Great Friends!  Great Racing!

Next time I hope we can step on our weiners less and be a bit better with communication.

Thanks to GWR and CYR for helping us with some of our issues over the weekend.

Thanks to all the Champcar Staff!  Thanks to the Gingerman staff!   Especially big THANK YOU! to the corner # 11 station worker!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, red0 said:

I drove the #194 car. 

Only one car (and basically only one day).  That can’t possibly feed the addiction.  Racing again this weekend?

Just now, Racer28173 said:

Only one car (and basically only one day).  That can’t possibly feed the addiction.  Racing again this weekend?

I need to drive at least 2 cars per event, the addiction only got worse. 

My next racing is going to be a pavement oval race in a Saab, I can't wait. 

• Haha 1