Bill Strong

Official 2018 Gingerman Cookie Cutter Classic Results

Great Job Andrew and team on your Saturday win!

Great Job GWR on your Sunday win!

It was nice running with yall and I always like trying to run with you guys.  Always good clean hard racing.  Yall make me push harder than I ever have before!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mcoppola said:

1:42.9 

not bad for a 200 VPI car....

Nice baiting.  Keep in mind this is a 500 point car or thereabouts.  EDIT: Not near being a 500 point car, but still a far cry from a stock MR2. What they've accomplished is impressive. 

A 200 point MR2 would be about 12 seconds a lap slower.  😉

And I'm pretty confident more points are coming regardless.

Edited by Jer
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 5:26 PM, Bill Strong said:

RBank Honda for the win

gingermanRace1.jpg

This is the only result of the whole weekend?

Come on man spit out the rest of it!

• Like 1

We finished 4th on Saturday.  GWR finished 3rd on Saturday.

We had a rapid oxidation issue on Sunday.

No idea where anybody else finished.

2 hours ago, Jer said:

Nice baiting.  Keep in mind this is a 500 point car or thereabouts.  EDIT: Not near being a 500 point car, but still a far cry from a stock MR2. What they've accomplished is impressive. 

A 200 point MR2 would be about 12 seconds a lap slower.  😉

And I'm pretty confident more points are coming regardless.

I think at NCM the sheet had this MR2 at 424 or 425.   I didn't look this weekend.  They've done a hell of a job with the chassis and driving.   

Edited by JDChristianson
  • Like 1

We had a ton of fun, we have some work to do diagnosing and fixing a brake problem, and a little body work to fix.   Pretty clean driving overall, just not a 100%...oh well.  

41 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

We had a ton of fun, we have some work to do diagnosing and fixing a brake problem, and a little body work to fix.   Pretty clean driving overall, just not a 100%...oh well.  

Your so funny and being too kind! Being hit by the same car in one race is not what I can call pretty clean driving, but I will say it will certainly be a learning experience for a brand new team.

All can be repaired since it is mostly just metal body panels.

Edited by 55mini
add

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

Mielan?

I didn't realize.  I would have introduced myself if I haven't actually met you in real life.

Well, here goes Two Brothers racing’s first ever report!

New to champ car, new to W2W racing, new to gingerman, a whole new setup on a car we have owned for only 8 months, one man down we went into the weekend with one goal in mind experience.

Friday test day went well until we managed to break a brake pad retainer pin, pulled it in grabbed the replacement pin pulled wheel off and oh no...broken spring mount. Went to tractor supply and menards and cobbled together something that may work. Wrenched until 10pm or so and got it fixed for our first ever race in the morning.

Saturday: Car ran great through the first stint, Brother in law took the wheel and slowly got comfortable with the car and moving in and out of traffic, staying out of faster cars way the best he could. (We all agreed if someone pulls up on our bumper, its for one reason THEY ARE FASTER! Let them go its a long race!) Time for our first pit stop ever, boy did it look like it at almost 8 minutes long!

Second driver goes out, were not even looking at standings just get experience. Again new to W2W racing he too slowly learns the do’s and dont’s, getting comfortable. He comes in for our second stop. Much better but not great 6 minutes this time, and i take the wheel for the first time.

Same song and dance, race clean, stay out of the way no stupid stuff. My stint comes and goes without incident, and my brother in-law jumps in for the last 2hr stint(last pit stop 4:40!)

I look @ the standings were 11th overall and 2nd in class! No way to catch that  MiElan Miata they gapped our butts by 3 laps! Smooth and clean is what we said. 1 hr in he calls in he cant shift tranny locked up! Our first pull! Get to the pits, everything looks good linkage is good it shifts in the pits after 15 minutes, lets check fluid....its low, like really low. Fill it up and see what happens. He heads out and finished the race 4th in class 22nd overall.

Saturday night we change the fluid out from recommended ATF to 90wt gear lube and agree to run 1hr stints and check fluid level to see if that helped. Try not to lunch a tranny but still gain experience.

Sunday morning comes and so does the fog, we talk and decide to run the first 2 hours and after the quiet hour break bring in a fresh driver straight off and fill fuel and check fluid level.

I took the first stint and drove without much incident, except for a minor off while following rooster racing right away in the morning. Turning into 8 behind them laying down a bunch of oil was interesting! We made our driver change at the break, filled fuel and checked tranny took 8 minutes SLOWWWWW but it looks MUCH better keep racing!

Brother in-law goes out and we start thinking in the pits, we have an odd hour to fill, the car has been consuming 12gal per 2 hr, we carry over 18gal in our cell, i bet we can make 3 hrs and just do a driver swap! Radio him to short shift and be smooth running 2nd in class 10th overall, his stint goes well until he has an off at 10b calls in and the steering feels sloppy, we get to the pits look it all over looks fine, send him back out 22nd overall and 4th again. Rest of his stint goes without incident. I jump back in for the odd hour, Two red flags, and a caution conveniently right at 2hrs to go, were pitting! Last pit stop goes well, and our last driver goes in. Look at the standings and were 2nd in class and right around 10th overall.

Last driver is smooth and consistent, running 2nd in class when MiElan has brake problems that put them out. Now first in class 40 minutes left with a harsh vibration coming from the drivetrain, and a wheel bearing that was suspect. Smooth and easy cross our fingers! Car holds toghther long enough to finish!

Our first weekend out we ended with a 4th in class and 22nd overall and a 1st in class and 7th overall. We are very happy and very lucky to finish where we did. We were also lucky to have For the sake of Racing helping us with out fire bottle duty’s while we were a man down, and also need to thank poop box racing for lending us some tools. Ahhh hell i need to thank everyone we had a fantastic time and met some great people and learned a lot along the way.

Weve gotta lot of wrenching to do to get ready for Road America in October but well be better prepaired for that race, and can not wait to get back to Gingerman what a fun track!

Thank you everyone! (Hope we didn’t piss too many people off being rookies!)

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Mielan?

I didn't realize.  I would have introduced myself if I haven't actually met you in real life.

Yep that’s me. Funny looking guy with the pony tail 

43 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Yep that’s me. Funny looking guy with the pony tail 

42 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I was the crazy guy smoking cigars....  and my car.... pitted beside you.

You delightful dorks. 

Oh ya, Thanks to all the Champcar staff for your work.  Especially those of you that were pushing brooms cleaning up the BMW's version of the Exxon Valdez oil spill, in the near 90 degree tropical humidity on Sunday! 

@Gkuhn41  great race report and congrats on such a good finish Sunday (both days all things considered).  Welcome to Champ of course.  How did your team get introduced to the track world and then Champ?   Did you do HPDEs first?

The return of Bavarian Mustache Werks this past weekend at Gingerman was with mixed emotions.  It has been a while since I have run the team with a BMW (last year the team ran under 'Dirty Side Down Racing' in TBR's old car, until its untimely demise at Road America), and I was excited to see what we could do with an improved build and a solid team of drivers.

The first race for the ground-up new build worked flawlessly on Saturday.  "Ana" did just about everything I expected; with the improvements I made over the old car, she was about a second faster, a pleasure to easily drive at the limit, solid and quick (no where near the fastest, but solid top 10 for pace potential).  The only hiccups of the day was a slightly slow last pit stop (only working with 3 people for that one) and being the 1st team to dive into the pits to try to figure out why transponder wasn't working during those initial yellow-flag laps.  Upon hearing it was half the field with issues, I headed back out on track, albeit now at the tail end of the field.  Start grid lottery was pretty kind to us for Saturday, just 9 spots back from the chosen one, so it hurt a bit to drop back on the 'good' day for starting position.  All I have to say about that first hour or so, especially first few laps, was HOLY $*&#$^*@^#$*(&&# that was slick!   I think I counted 5 cars spun off on the first 2 pace laps, I myself had a nice full-lock counter steer moment in turn 5.  I feel that I did not get the tire pressures right for that weather, even running the rain line I was struggling to find the grip.  It wasn't until about an hour to 1:15 in that the normal race line was fully usable.

Once we got going, we had a clean race, with all of my drivers running clean laps with solid times.   I'm the only one who did anything visually notable to the car, taking out brake marker 1 in turn 10 with the dead center of the front bumper after nipping the apex curb coming through the transition and having a mini-tank slapper (sorry to anyone who needed that marker....).  I snagged one of the locals from Spartan Racing to show us how it was done, who set our fastest lap of the day.  I think our spread of fast lap times was 1.5 seconds, and that was with having Tracy run fuel saving laps.  Found that we could only use about ~15 gallons out of the tank, which gave us a struggle to hit even hour:50 stint length going all-out in the dry (the delayed start/wet was key for the day as I was able to go full 2 hours on fuel in the wet, Jon from Spartan managed hour:45 going all-out which was disappointing for stint length), forcing us to go into fuel save mode for the last 2 drivers (My brother Nick and team-mate Tracy).  We could pull 16+ gallons out of the old TBR car with the same pump setup, so I have a little bit of work to correct that. 

We finished Saturday's race in 6th, about 36 seconds back form TRMotorsports guys (or about the time lost from dropping ourselves to back of the field at the start - son of a....).  While I most certainly would have preferred to be on podium (or at least in impound), sll in all, I am very please with the 1st showing for a new build!   My favorite part was I really didn't have much to do with the car, just bleed brakes, do a quick nut/bolt check, oil/water level check.  All was good. 

Sunday morning I think we went through 42 strategy changes as we all waited for the fog to lift.  We finally made a decision for the pre-break stint and let my brother loose.  Starting near the back due to lottery luck for the day, he set out to see how far up the field we could get prior to the red-flag.  Stint was going pretty well....  unitl he got a bit ambitious and "Maldonado'd" Tyler in the Crank Yankers car in turn 3...    The pack they both were catching was dicing amongst themselves and not at nearly the pace as our car.  This caught Nick out a bit and he went for an apparent gap from way too far back with the extra speed he had...   Contact ensued, he called in right away that he tagged Tyler and knew it was all him.  I think I'll post up the vid as a learning tool for others.  There was a lot going on, and I can see how enticing the gap looked from the driver's persepctive.  Lesson in eye's up driving for sure.  I chattad a bit with Tyler as they were correcting the vacuum leak that the impact crated, Nick served his 5 min Black Flag penalty and then we went to work to correct the 1/2+ toe out and sent him back out just before the pits closed.  That self-inflicted mistake dropped us back to 33rd leading up to the break. 

After the break, we figured the only way we could get back in the to 10 was to push like Salt 'n Peppa, run Tracy for full 2 hours with a fuel stop in the middle as late as possible, and give Jon and myself 3 hours to maximize lap times without worrying about fuel.  Things were going rather well, as Tracy was picking off cars and making up the laps we lost ourselves.  Tracy was up to 16th when the pit window opened up at 1:50 pm.  Unfortunatley, with 15th place getting close and the 2 hour driver limit coming up, the unknown mileage, ex-autocross car engine I had in the car determined that 11 hours of racing was plenty and decided to move a whole bunch of water from the radiator to out the tail-pipe, and threw some of that water back up the intake for good measure.   No warning, no over-rev, temp gauge never moved.  Momentary engine flattness, then a whole bunch of smoke.  Weekend done.  Sadness wiht being one of the many teams that packed up early. 

So big positive on Saturday with a solid finish.  Potential for improvement with possible podium on Sunday that ended with a mechnical on one of the few un-touched parts of the car.   Work is underway to get Ana running again with a few small improvements.  Looking forward to what we can do out at PittRace!

Edited by NigelStu
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

@Gkuhn41  great race report and congrats on such a good finish Sunday (both days all things considered).  Welcome to Champ of course.  How did your team get introduced to the track world and then Champ?   Did you do HPDEs first?

I have always been interested in driving anything with a motor and some things without fast honestly, my brother in-laws family has raced dirt for years as well. Two years ago i attended an Auto Cross with my brother in-law (in his BRZ) at RA, then entered my 6speed Mega Cab Cummins in a winter event placing 23rd out of 80+ and quickly realized i needed more of this.

I wanted a project and my brother in-law was getting married, he needed to stop beating on his daily driver so i offered $1,000 to start a project car together as a wedding gift. The gentleman that runs Road Americas winter events knew Andy (Brother in-law) they got to talking about his "Chump Car" that they were having some electrical problems with, and were selling. We looked at it and decided to purchase it for a project. Months go by and we start paying attention to Champ car and realize that for the price its actually reasonable price for a LOT of track time.

The rest all kind of fell into place finding our other two members (Brothers) through family members had a lot of HPDE experience and we had all done some HPDE events prior together to get used to the car. We also spent A LOT of time on Iracing trying to simulate a race environment, I feel it actually helped a fair amount. One of the other brothers couldnt come this weekend because of a family emergency witch was disappointing but were "Two Brothers Racing" family always comes first right!

I forgot someone to thank! Also need to thank Patrick who was running the pace car, he met us at the practice day and saw were were struggling a bit with really dialing in our racing line and literally took us out in that Lexus and showed where to make good time. My next stint i shaved 4 seconds a lap off without even trying so thank you a bunch for that!

• Like 4

Car 128 - Hakuna Miata race report:  We did fairly well for our first Champcar race. Our team has been racing Lemons for 3 years, decided to try something marginally less silly.

We were the lucky dogs who got spot #1 for the start on Saturday. 

40202743_10209285392450895_5413569701219

Car was running well in the damp.  We are running Azenis, and they had two previous race weekends on them, both soaking wet.  We figured we had enough rubber to run all day, then we'd switch to our previously lightly-used BFGs.

As the track dried, our times came down, when I handed the car over to the wife at 10:45am, our best time was 1:59.  She got that down to a 1:57.  As it got warmer, she handed the car over to our "hot shoe who doesn't know any better," Brad.  He turns a 1:56, and again, we're amazed that he's not using 4th gear ANYWHERE except the back straight from turn 10 - turn 11.  I'm pretty sure a stock Miata doesn't make usable power above 7,500 rpm (eek), but he revs it like crazy.  He also gets the least time on a full tank of fuel.  Odd, that.

We put our last driver in, Tom, and he holds position, running 1:57's until the finish.  We finish day 1 in 15th spot. Not bad for a mostly stock Miata with some light suspension work.  Aside from being told our fire extinguisher wasn't large enough (quick trip to Menards...) we had a clean day.

Day 2:  We switch to our back-up BFGs, as the new pavement in turns 1, 2, 3, and 5 ATE our tires (great grip, though).  

It turns out our backup BFGs were rock hard.  Heat cycling them, and then letting them sit for a year is bad.  Who knew?  My best time was a 2:02.  I radioed back that the tires were, ahem, sub-optimal, I was being passed by everyone.  Brought the car in for the first fuel stop in 33rd place after starting last (damn lucky dog on day 1).  

Veronica went out.  She was rather vocal about the sucktasticness of the BFGs.  She was getting wheel spin on acceleration.  IN A STOCK MIATA.  She radioed in to find the least-bald Azenis we had left, and put them on the rear of the car.  Her best time was a 2:04, but as her stint went on, she dropped to a 2:10.

We did the tire swap, and bolted Brad in the car.  We've got rock-hard BFGs Rivals on the front, nearly bald Azenis on the rear of the car.

On his second lap, Brad turns a 1:57.  Then a 1:56.  Then a 1:55.2.  Wow.  New recipe for how to get the most out of used-up tires.

After the red flags, we put Tom in as our last driver.  He had some hard contact with that green, cut-down, Gen 2 RX-7 thing (not sure of team name), that put a tire donut mark on our car hard enough to dent the sills.  He claims he left room.  Oh well, another dent, add it to the list.

Overall, the odd-ball tire setup (and a ton of attrition) got us back to 17th.

We'll be back for Road America, with 8 new tires.

- Phil 

Edited by BionicPhil
  • Like 7

There were only 2nd gen RX7s.  

1 was bright blue and full bodied.  Ours is bright red and full bodied.

Maybe the Mustang or MiElan miata?  Those are the only 2 green cars I can think of.  The "cut down" car was a volvo 960 that was brown.

1 minute ago, wvumtnbkr said:

There were only 2nd gen RX7s.  

1 was bright blue and full bodied.  Ours is bright red and full bodied.

Maybe the Mustang or MiElan miata?  Those are the only 2 green cars I can think of.  The "cut down" car was a volvo 960 that was brown.

The one that comes to mind is the cut down supra with the large wing. Darker army green