Bill Strong

Official 2018 Gingerman Cookie Cutter Classic Results

2 hours ago, BionicPhil said:

Oh, it was a Supra?  We were trying to figure out what that car started life as all day long at it loomed large in our mirrors on every 4th lap.

Yeah, that would be IPF Racing's MKIII Supra with a 1UZ swap

We got back home late last night after what ended up being a 15 hour tow from Gingerman.  It was totally worth it!

As always, we had a blast racing with Champcar and the organizers do an amazing job putting on the event.  

We raced at Gingerman in 2015 and were rolling chicanes.  We were hoping to see improvements now that we have a few more races under our belts and were happy with how we did with everybody shaving multiple seconds off our times. My wife is still the fastest even though I did a Skip Barber school this summer (do those come with a money back guarantee? :D)   She hit 1:53 while I was poking at 1:55 and our other driver was around 1:56.  The competition was great and we didn't feel as slow as we typically do in the Eastern races.  There were more cars we were competitive with speed wise than there seems to be at Watkins Glen where every straight we see 10 cars blow by!

Due to the rain forecast we went to Meijer and got the cheapest driving lights we could find to add some sort of visibility to the front of the car.   They seemed to work well because the car was a little easier to spot from the sidelines so I assume it was easier to see for the other drivers.  When the fog rolled in Sunday morning, I was really glad we had them.  I never really thought about our visibility to other cars until the heavy rains at Watkins this year. I threw the headlight switch back in the car so we could turn the rear parking lights on too.   

The only issue we had was at the end of day 1, I had a horrible vibration start in turn 10 that continued down to turn 11 so I went straight to the pits.  The left front wheel was starting to work loose so we tightened it down and finished the race.  Could have been really ugly if it had happened at turn 1.  Not sure if it was the track or our driving style but we wore 4 RE71 tires to the belts (2 each day) and finished the race on some Falkens left over from last year.

On our way to the hotel after the race we had a trailer tire blow out.  It appeared to be from some sort of road debris.  Luckily we carry 2 trailer spares so I replaced it and still had a spare for the 700+ mile drive home.  When we were somewhere in NY a little east of Watkins Glen the truck started pulling hard to the right.  The tire got punctured by something on the road.  Luckily we were able to get pulled over before the wheel got damaged.  It was not a good weekend for tires.

We packed a small deep freezer for the first time to keep the cool suit ice frozen.  Plus we packed Popsicles to hand out to anybody that looked hot.  I think they were all gone by the end of the race.

A friend of mine from Chicago came to watch on Saturday and he actually knows how to use a camera, unlike anybody else on the team.  So now we have some cool pictures of our car.

DSC_0847.JPG

Edited by Logdog
  • Like 5

I've been listening to day 2 broadcast today to keep work more interesting.  Good stuff!  Thank you guys for doing the broadcasts!

@Paulie and @Doc - history of my team for future reference:

2011-2014, "Bavarian Mustache Werks" - E30 - "Thelma", RIP Watkins Glen Championship

2015, "Z, team formerly known as Bavarian Mustache Werks" - Datsun 280Z - "Eliza", she liked to consume engines.

2016 - nada, I drove with other teams

2017 - "Dirty Side Down Racing", one of my teammates bought TBRs old E36 - couple of successful races, then car was destroyed at Road America Oct race last year (pouring one out for my fallen homie....)

2018 - back to "Bavarian Mustache Werks" in the new E36 build

Edited by NigelStu
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 1:30 PM, red0 said:

@Logdog

Thank you to your team for being such great neighbors at this race, your team is awesome. 

Thanks!  We had a great time.  On the way back to PA my wife and I were talking about some of the advice you gave us and are going to try and get a surge tank installed.  

1 minute ago, Logdog said:

Thanks!  We had a great time.  On the way back to PA my wife and I were talking about some of the advice you gave us and are going to try and get a surge tank installed.  

I'll PM you the parts list I run. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Logdog said:

We got back home late last night after what ended up being a 15 hour tow from Gingerman.  It was totally worth it!

As always, we had a blast racing with Champcar and the organizers do an amazing job putting on the event.  

We raced at Gingerman in 2015 and were rolling chicanes.  We were hoping to see improvements now that we have a few more races under our belts and were happy with how we did with everybody shaving multiple seconds off our times. My wife is still the fastest even though I did a Skip Barber school this summer (do those come with a money back guarantee? :D)   She hit 1:53 while I was poking at 1:55 and our other driver was around 1:56.  The competition was great and we didn't feel as slow as we typically do in the Eastern races.  There were more cars we were competitive with speed wise than there seems to be at Watkins Glen where every straight we see 10 cars blow by!

Due to the rain forecast we went to Meijer and got the cheapest driving lights we could find to add some sort of visibility to the front of the car.   They seemed to work well because the car was a little easier to spot from the sidelines so I assume it was easier to see for the other drivers.  When the fog rolled in Sunday morning, I was really glad we had them.  I never really thought about our visibility to other cars until the heavy rains at Watkins this year. I threw the headlight switch back in the car so we could turn the rear parking lights on too.   

The only issue we had was at the end of day 1, I had a horrible vibration start in turn 10 that continued down to turn 11 so I went straight to the pits.  The left front wheel was starting to work loose so we tightened it down and finished the race.  Could have been really ugly if it had happened at turn 1.  Not sure if it was the track or our driving style but we wore 4 RE71 tires to the belts (2 each day) and finished the race on some Falkens left over from last year.

On our way to the hotel after the race we had a trailer tire blow out.  It appeared to be from some sort of road debris.  Luckily we carry 2 trailer spares so I replaced it and still had a spare for the 700+ mile drive home.  When we were somewhere in NY a little east of Watkins Glen the truck started pulling hard to the right.  The tire got punctured by something on the road.  Luckily we were able to get pulled over before the wheel got damaged.  It was not a good weekend for tires.

We packed a small deep freezer for the first time to keep the cool suit ice frozen.  Plus we packed Popsicles to hand out to anybody that looked hot.  I think they were all gone by the end of the race.

A friend of mine from Chicago came to watch on Saturday and he actually knows how to use a camera, unlike anybody else on the team.  So now we have some cool pictures of our car.

DSC_0847.JPG

Re71 are known to wear very quickly.  They are for teams that are willing to bring 3 or 4 full sets for a weekend, but they are crazy grippy.

On 8/26/2018 at 7:42 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

I had hot lap today!

If it makes you feel better, that hot lap and the resulting red flag saved us enough fuel to avoid the extra pit stop we thought we were going to have to make. :D

3 minutes ago, Logdog said:

If it makes you feel better, that hot lap and the resulting red flag saved us enough fuel to avoid the extra pit stop we thought we were going to have to make. :D

Same with gwr....

4 hours ago, Logdog said:

My wife is still the fastest even though I did a Skip Barber school this summer (do those come with a money back guarantee? :D)   

For the wife? I've never broached that subject with mine or her family, but pretty sure that's not how it works!

• Haha 2

Anybody else having trouble downloading the lap-time CSVs?  I get this message.  Ive tried 2 computers and 2 different teams to see what happens with the same results.

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, Logdog said:

Anybody else having trouble downloading the lap-time CSVs?  I get this message.  Ive tried 2 computers and 2 different teams to see what happens with the same results.

Capture.JPG

I am using a mac... it works for me

Logdog Motorsports 1993 Honda Civic (Teal), Laptimes of CC Classic 7 Hour Enduro, The Cookie Cutter Classic 8 + 7, ChampCar Endurance Series, United States - Official Event Results, MYLAPS Speedhive.csv

• Like 1

First thing's first thank you to all the Champcar staff and volunteers involved with making this event happen!!  Everything ran smoothly regardless of the variable weather conditions and kudos to the track and Champcar for extending the checkered flag time due to the fog on Sunday!

For our second outing this was as close to a home race for Over Engineered Motorsports as there will likely be, everyone on the team lives within about an hour's drive of the track and we were able to get the car and trailer to the track Thursday evening.  We ran all day Friday without much issue. Our previous outing at NCM exposed serious cooling issues that limited how hard we could drive the car.  New radiator allowed us to flog without a problem.  Looking/feeling great for a good day Saturday.

Start off in the wet and settle into mid pack ~25th or so thru our second stint and into the third driver stint until he comes in with a bad vibration.  RF wheel bearing is failing quickly, send him back out to turn a few more laps gingerly while we prepare parts/tools for to change the whole knuckle we had new bearings in (preparedness win, yes!).  Call driver in and get to work.  In our haste, we gall the hell out of the threads on the axle taking the axle nut off, forcing us to replace the axle.  Not a huge deal but probably added a half our to our down time.  Driver in and we're turning laps.  Rest of the day uneventful and we take our first checker which was nice.  Car maintenance after everything cools down this time and ready for Sunday, looking to just run all our laps with no problems.

Sunday we inverted our driver order from Saturday and with the starting order inversion put me 4th from last, I had an absolute riot for the first 1:15 or so moving up to mid pack again before the gas light came on.  What a blast going back and forth for at least a half hour or more with the #603 miata, being able to do that without a scratch on either car is so much fun!! Didn't get the car all the way full overnight so have to pit for fuel then run out the rest of the time until quiet hour.  Driver two gets in the car and by the time he's running out of gas we are running 16th! Third driver goes out and is steadily working his average lap time down until he doesn't come by and we see the safety truck rolling.  Bert comes in to tell us he went into ten and the engine seized.  Raise the hood to see a huge hole blown in the radiator hose we all looked at and said "hey that bulge will be ok, right? We'll just get a new one if it goes or for the next race".  When the hose blew it dumped all the water out so fast driver only saw a brief puff of white smoke.  Temp gauge never read over what was typical to see thus far.  Day was done.  Super disappointing as we were looking at what could've been an interesting finish with several other B cars realtively close together at the time.

Car did start in the shop after we unloaded so there's some hope..

Thanks to everyone we were neighbors with in the pits, hope we weren't in anyone's way!

Edited by BollingerChump
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Thanks Bill!  I tried again today and still cant open the files from the website but the ones you linked worked great. 

Its been awhile since I burned a floppy disc at the alter of Microsoft so maybe I've upset the Windows Gods.  :D

Thank you to the ChampCar and Gingerman Staff and volunteers!  Thanks for the kegs Tyler and GWR brought!    Had a lot of fun even though what's left of our #960 Volvo had a multiple issues:  warped rotors, over heating from too much grass in the radiator after contact and a spin, cracked radiator, cracked epoxy on same radiator, starting issues, broken exhaust. Also seems like either our mpg dropped a bunch or we are having fuel pickup issues (maybe both)  So, also, a spcecial Thank You to the  Hole Lotta Laps team for helping us fuel up at the very end of the day Sunday (after we had already packed up most of our pit) 

We were very happy with the improvements we made to the car since VIR last year and 2 of us set our best lap times at Gingerman.  Have lots more work to do and money to spend to make the car reliable and have spares on hand (since no parts stores seem to stock anything we need)  Looking forward to the next race we can get to!  Hopefully not so foggy....

20180826_075208.jpg

• Like 3

Team MiElan had a fun and eventful weekend and test day. The test day went well with getting all drivers in and running for some track time and had a chance to test some tires

which are one of the series  supporters. After that we set out to change a number of things and set up the car for the race.

Saturday started well with Jacob taking the wheel and moving up from mid pack to near the front. He was running very solid lap times even in the wet and passing the field.

About two thirds of the way thru his stint he was  on the race line moving past a new team and they changed path quickly. We ended up in the pits to re leave a fender from a front wheel.

Jacob was able to go back out and again move toward the top. Fuel stop and driver change went as normal and Jeff took the wheel to start his efforts. He worked smoothly and brought us back up the ladder to about were we had been running and had no issues with the drive or any of the others on track.

Next fuel stop and a new driver for the team was put in the car. Chad was again running well and working back toward the top of the field when we got a radio call he had no brake pedal

and had gone off in 10. In he came and we looked at everything but found no issues, no fluid loss, good pedal and strong brakes so out he went until the next fuel stop.

In went Patrick to finish out our race and he was smoothly running quick laps and working up again to near the front. Soon after he radioed to us he was heading in as he had been hit hard.

Sure enough hit very hard in the rear drivers door and rear wheel. Had to roll the fender on that wheel and check everything once again and sent him out to finish the race which we did running. Finished in 9th.

Sunday we fliped the order and Patrick drove until the break and is was very smooth and uneventful. Running again up near the top of the order to I think 5th or maybe 4th. We came in to fuel just before the break so we could just put Chad in after and run until the next fuel and driver change. Chad got in and ran a very solid stint and brought the car in with no harm or issues.

Next was Jeff who again had a great drive with solid consistent times and had no on track contact, looking like we had a solid 4th place going. Last stint in went Jacob and he was about 30 minutes in when he again lost full brake pedal and went off so had him come in and changed front pads which just seemed to be glazed and we could not find any other issues. Out he went and two laps later going into five he again lost pedal and spun the car. Had him come in and parked the car. Not what we had hoped but we will fix and return for Road America in a couple months.

In all a great, fun weekend and as always the staff and volunteers did a great job running the event. Even pushing brooms to clean the oil!

• Like 2

The TRMotorsports team #318 had our best weekend to date with ChampCar. Many thanks to the event staff for keep things moving smoothly and communicating the delays to keep all informed. 

6 of our 7 regular drivers were able to make this event and all did a a great job keeping our E36 4cyl pointed the right direction all weekend. Last year, 2 yellow flag penalties hurt our chances on Saturday so we focused on running a clean race and attempting to not beat ourselves this year. Saturday's wet conditions made our driving order an easy one. Crew Chief and Gingerman veteran Bob K took the first stint and with the help of a good starting position (6th?) took the lead on the first lap. While conditions were wet, Bob managed to lap all but two cars during the first hour and built our lead to over a minute. As the dry line improved the cars with better dry pace came alive the gap slowly closed during the second half of the stint when the RBank Civic passed us on lap 54 to take over the top spot just 3 laps from the end of the stint. 

Joe W jumped in next for another clean, penalty free stint, bringing the car back to pitlane in 2nd position. TJ - our least experienced and arguably least ugly driver took over for the third stint and drove his best stint ever. The BMW returned to the pits in 3rd and our clean-up hitter, John R jumped in returning to fray in 5th where we stayed finishing second in A-Class behind the winner RBank. The team executed perfect pitstops throughout and managed to change the left side tires on the last stop with plenty of time remaining on the clock. The team was pleased with the day and the only repair needed was a small coolant leak discovered in impound. 

Day 2 arrived foggy, but we were optimistic as the 7 hour format typically plays to our fuel mileage strengths. We were excited to here the finish time was moved back an hour to hopefully keep our strategy intact for the rest of the day. Our driver Chris H (me) took the first stint as I had experience starting from near the back of the pack last year at Gingerman and generally manage traffic well. After getting surprised a bit by the green flag and botching a shift, off we went moving up 12 positions on lap 1. I found the flags and key reference points alittle challenging to spot, but certainly "raceable" . The car was performing well with some used tires that had previously seen duty on the One Lap of America event, logging over 3000 street miles and several laps on the track.  After moving up to 11th and a couple of four offs at turn 5 due to the driver (me) pushing a bit too hard I settled into a rhythm and finished stint in 7th with just a bit of grass hanging off the car from my mowing job. Bob K jumped in to begin the post break stint and finish off our fuel load. The pace car had picked up the leader GWR, just one spot ahead of us in grid. With a light fuel load and a clear track ahead, but chased the GWR car around for a few smoking fast laps (for our 318is anyway) and lowered our personal best time to a 1:47.9. Due to pitstops and a strong pace, we moved into 1st overall just 10 laps after the break and held that spot until pitting for fuel and a driver change around lap 79. Mike J jumped in the car, rejjoing the race in 4th and preceded to reel off a string of very strong laps until the FCY for the oil spill brought him to the pits and within our last driver change window.  Currently sitting in 2nd our hopes were high that GWR would need one more splash and go to finish the race. Joe W took over after the pitstop in first place as others pitted as well, but GWR was lurking just a few cars behind. We had plenty of fuel but our 318i's pace was not enough to hold them off. We hoped to push them just hard enough to run them out of fuel, but the late race caution for an engine fire sealed the win for the very deserving GWR rocket.

Special THANK YOU to Mark and the MiElan team for allowing us to raid there spares once again. Bailing us out Sunday AM with some metric screws that decide to exit our intake manifold on Saturday. That's the not the first time they've helped  us out and probably not the last. We owe you boys another beer or three. 

5th and 2nd overall, 2nd and 1st in class .......soo rwarding for our team after losing engines at Road America two years in a row and other assorted mechanical over the last three seasons. We can't wait for the next one and INDY in 2019 !

40223504_10156590684127346_886728558406270976_n.jpg

Edited by TRMTrent
  • Like 12

@jmas - No worries! Always glad to help, lucky that we had gear and a couple gallons handy as we were starting to pack up too :)

All in all the Hole Lotta Laps team had a much more successful weekend, but Saturday was rough. Big thank you to all the Champcar and Gingerman Staff for a well run event and giving us a place to come play!

Thursday: Slam through replacement of front wheel bearing (which actually turned out to be in great shape and just a loose spindle nut...), pack, load, tow, arrive, unload and setup paddock in the dark.

Friday: Decided not to run the test day and instead do some minor repairs we had been putting off, finish setting up the pit, etc. In hindsight, should have bled brakes but they were good last event and getting off the trailer so we didn't bother.....

Saturday: With the morning rain, we decided to put John in the car first as he likes the rain, but a bit too much tire pressure made the car quite the handful. An hour in and we decided to change strategy a bit. Fuel, early driver change to Lee, and a few pounds down all around and back at it. Lee reports some issues with brakes, but keeps pushing and drops us to sub 1:50's while having a mid-stint off at turn 10. Hour and 30 later (now 2.5hrs into the race), car is stuttering and needs fuel. 14 gallons, driver change to myself and I start pushing, mange to click off a couple sub 1:47's then a 1:46 before running out of brakes coming into turn 10 trying to make a pass stick. Off through the grass, let the pack go back by and get back on but something is way wrong now. Back end is making all kinds of weird noises and is all over the place, so I limp it down the straight and into the pits. Sorry to anyone I caught off guard by going 100ish mph less than the lap before..... Get out of car, check rear axle nut, yep, sheared off and gone, just like it did in testing earlier this year, ok, no sweat, axle change and good to go. Half hour and we have the old axle out, new one ready to go, but wait, that hub doesn't look healthy. Oh, that's totaled. Bearing cage for the outside is now sticking out of the inside...Time to grab the spare hub. Oh, spare hub has a taper at the arm mount instead of a threaded hole @#$%. Turns out it's a fine thread 5/8ths, so after asking around a bit we send Lee to Mendards/Tractor supply and get everything else ready. @IPF Racing loans us some C clamps since we cant find a vice, and as soon as Lee is back we drill and tap, then put the car back together only to find out that it took out the brake caliper and bent the bracket. Bend the bracket back straight with a block of wood, the jack and Lee's trailer tongue, grab the spare caliper and then finish up repairs. with about 20 minutes left @jaymsu gets in and gets it back out. Brakes are still bad but he limps it another 10 laps for our first ever actual finish! 

40071140_2242072322679730_3546584483215966208_o.thumb.jpg.539e9bfad895ccfdda8a736b471249fe.jpg

Saturday night: Bleed the brakes, find the front spindle nut loose again, so we tightened it up and locktited for good measure. Good news is the rear seems to be rock solid now thanks to @Bill Strong's tip on double nutting instead of the cotter pin and the questionable used rear hub seems to be holding up so far. Pizza in town and rest up for the next day.

Sunday: Spend half the morning planning and replanning how to work around the quiet hour while we wait due to the fog delay. With the car in good shape and knowing we're kinda screwed in terms of fueling window, we send @jaymsu out again and tell him to try to run as hard as he can while leaving enough fuel for a lap or 2 after quiet time is over. Hour into the stint and we're told he got a black flag and he comes in for a 2 minute penalty. From my understanding the Tow truck had taken 10a instead of 10b and Jay was mid-pass on slower traffic when it rejoined, which counts as a pass under yellow. With Jay already on pit road we have him stop for fuel and send him back out, but he ends up stuck in the sand in 11 after more braking issues rear their head and we get towed out just in time for quiet hour to start. 30 second visual inspection while helping Jay get out shows a little bit of sand packed places, but nothing too damaged. Turns out that assessment was a little off as when John got in the car after quiet hour the car had a real bad vibration, looks like the sand packed wheels werent packed very evenly... A quick stop 10 minutes into the stint, brush out what sand we can from the wheels and change the one we cant get clean (it had like baked on there!) and John is back out and much happier except for the sandstorm in the car as it cleans itself out. Another fuel and driver stop, I get in and push hard, trying to get us a few more seconds as we know it's there somewhere until the red flag for the "thermal event" - Glad you guys are ok @wvumtnbkr! With that cleaned up quickly it was back to green flag and I was cruising along, midway through a pass on @Logdog in turn 7 when I felt a little hickup. "It's probably nothing" I tell myself as I push through 8 and 9, only to have a harder cough through 10. Out of fuel half an hour early! Still not sure what caused that, but quick driver change and fuel stop. Lee gets in and runs a nice consistent pace until the big oil spill in turn 1. John grabs a broom and hops over the wall with the safety crew and Champcar staff to sweep while the track goes from red to FCY, I join someone from the pitstall next to us and help run pit-out while Mom runs a bag of timers to the far end. Thank you to the teams that stopped during the yellow for not running us over! Cleanup wrapped up quickly, and handed out some water to say thank you, then it was time for some green flag racing again. Lee runs out the bulk of his seat time but with all the FCY we only need another 6 gallons during our stop. Jay gets in again and carries it home to our 2nd finish at 3rd in class and mid-pack overall.

All in all a solid weekend, big thank you to Mike and the gang for the Chandler School award and Wilwood for the certificate which we'll use to replace our trashed caliper and get some new spares. 

Semi-related note: Is there somewhere to donate our trashed parts to be used in future trophies? We have a couple toasted rotors and the trashed hub if anyone can use them :)

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, TRMTrent said:

The TRMotorsports team #318 had our best weekend to date with ChampCar. Many thanks to the event staff for keep things moving smoothly and communicating the delays to keep all informed. 

6 of our 7 regular drivers were able to make this event and all did a a great job keeping our E36 4cyl pointed the right direction all weekend. Last year, 2 yellow flag penalties hurt our chances on Saturday so we focused on running a clean race and attempting to not beat ourselves this year. Saturday's wet conditions made our driving order an easy one. Crew Chief and Gingerman veteran Bob K took the first stint and with the help of a good starting position (6th?) took the lead on the first lap. While conditions were wet, Bob managed to lap all but two cars during the first hour and built our lead to over a minute. As the dry line improved the cars with better dry pace came alive the gap slowly closed during the second half of the stint when the RBank Civic passed us on lap 54 to take over the top spot just 3 laps from the end of the stint. 

Joe W jumped in next for another clean, penalty free stint, bringing the car back to pitlane in 2nd position. TJ - our least experienced and arguably least ugly driver took over for the third stint and drove his best stint ever. The BMW returned to the pits in 3rd and our clean-up hitter, John R jumped in returning to fray in 5th where we stayed finishing second in A-Class behind the winner RBank. The team executed perfect pitstops throughout and managed to change the left side tires on the last stop with plenty of time remaining on the clock. The team was pleased with the day and the only repair needed was a small coolant leak discovered in impound. 

Day 2 arrived foggy, but we were optimistic as the 7 hour format typically plays to our fuel mileage strengths. We were excited to here the finish time was moved back an hour to hopefully keep our strategy intact for the rest of the day. Our driver Chris H (me) took the first stint as I had experience starting from near the back of the pack last year at Gingerman and generally manage traffic well. After getting surprised a bit by the green flag and botching a shift, off we went moving up 12 positions on lap 1. I found the flags and key reference points alittle challenging to spot, but certainly "raceable" . The car was performing well with some used tires that had previously seen duty on the One Lap of America event, logging over 3000 street miles and several laps on the track.  After moving up to 11th and a couple of four offs at turn 5 due to the driver (me) pushing a bit too hard I settled into a rhythm and finished stint in 7th with just a bit of grass hanging off the car from my mowing job. Bob K jumped in to begin the post break stint and finish off our fuel load. The pace car had picked up the leader GWR, just one spot ahead of us in grid. With a light fuel load and a clear track ahead, but chased the GWR car around for a few smoking fast laps (for our 318is anyway) and lowered our personal best time to a 1:47.9. Due to pitstops and a strong pace, we moved into 1st overall just 10 laps after the break and held that spot until pitting for fuel and a driver change around lap 79. Mike J jumped in the car, rejjoing the race in 4th and preceded to reel off a string of very strong laps until the FCY for the oil spill brought him to the pits and within our last driver change window.  Currently sitting in 2nd our hopes were high that GWR would need one more splash and go to finish the race. Joe W took over after the pitstop in first place as others pitted as well, but GWR was lurking just a few cars behind. We had plenty of fuel but our 318i's pace was not enough to hold them off. We hoped to push them just hard enough to run them out of fuel, but the late race caution for an engine fire sealed the win for the very deserving GWR rocket.

Special THANK YOU to Mark and the MiElan team for allowing us to raid there spares once again. Bailing us out Sunday AM with some metric screws that decide to exit our intake manifold on Saturday. That's the not the first time they've helped  us out and probably not the last. We owe you boys another beer or three. 

5th and 2nd overall, 2nd and 1st in class .......soo rwarding for our team after losing engines at Road America two years in a row and other assorted mechanical over the last three seasons. We can't wait for the next one and INDY in 2019 !

Nice job guys!

it was fun following the race on Champcar Live and Race Monitor. It seems like your car has improved greatly over last year, and was 1 of the front runners all weekend.

It's pretty cool that you guys compete regularly in Champcar. Nice to see a team from a very reputable company/supplier as regulars in our series! Thanks for your confidence and respect for the series!

• Like 3

On 8/29/2018 at 1:37 PM, TRMTrent said:

Bob's stint in the wet Saturday morning was a clinic on the gingerman rain line.  The ChampCar boadcast was mostly your in car and is a great tutorial on driving this track in the wet!  Great driving all weekend guys!

• Like 2

On 8/27/2018 at 9:52 AM, red0 said:

Make sure to include that Ludicrous speed broke their track record. It is now faster than the track record for NASA German Touring Unlimited. 1:42.XX is ludicrous! 

If someone can convince NASA that my Toyota is German, then I can get my 5th NASA track record, HA!  The others were in a Z06 Corvette.

That was purely a set up time trial flyer lap.  I put the car in 5th gear and cruised around a bit to cool the engine and tires.  Tire pressure has to come down pretty far to get a fast lap.  I ran a gear lower in two corners and just let the open diff smoke the inside tire coming out of 2, 3, and 10.  Best I could do normally was a 1:44.x.  

Fun fact, the fast guys start a time trial session with a 295 wide Hoosier on a Corvette at 19 PSI, it feels like its going to roll off the rim the pressure is so low.  Hot lap is at 22 or 23 PSI.  Tire feels like crap, feedback is crap, tire wear is abysmal, but WOW is it fast!!!

Edited by Chris Shay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chris Shay said:

Bob's stint in the wet Saturday morning was a clinic on the gingerman rain line.  The ChampCar boadcast was mostly your in car and is a great tutorial on driving this track in the wet!  Great driving all weekend guys!

Thanks Chris.  Awesome weekend, and nice to meet you, Chris, and Chris.  At least I won't forget your names !

People think I am totally nutz when I get all excited about rain and wet track... and yes, I was praying for MORE RAIN !

I hope the LiveCast from our TRM 318 during my wet stint doesn't show too much detail to give away my rain line secrets.

I am still compiling video... I am making a "highlights" video from Saturday.

Unfortunately there is no video from Sunday.  Old dead battery.  Replacement on the way.

Edited by TRM-BobK
  • Like 1

@Crank Yankers Racing

It's hard to tell, but could be kill switch related. You can see the gauge LEDs on the low mounted gauge flickering while driving (which is normal) but always on.  Then when the car cuts out, it looks like they turn completely off for a second.  I did not see that happen before the cutout.  Then you can see them turn off and on when the driver is cycling the kill switch.  I'm still leaning toward kill switch.  There may be some other important electrical connection that is intermittently opening.

@Crank Yankers Racing What happens if you don't cycle the kill switch?  Meaning, it seemed like it would take a few cycles and some time to cycle.  If you waited that same amount of time without cycling, would it come back?

If cycling the kill switch "clears it" for a bit, does shutting off the "ignition only" switch clear it?  

Could be ECU power.  Could be sensor power.  Could be ignition coil power.  

What were the AFR's doing when this happened?

• Like 1