Jer for election to the Board

Please nominate and vote for me.  I would love to serve the members of the organization again for a new three year term after the 15 months I've been on the Board.  Thank you. 

I’m Jerry Enger, Jer on the forums, and I’ve served on the Board for just over a year and running for election.  I believe I can do more on the Board, and would like three full years to accomplish that.  I have skill sets that are somewhat unique and I believe compliment the rest of the Board members and add value to ChampCar.

Why should you vote for me:

-I believe in stable rules and transparency.  I try to make sure members are informed about what is happening and why.  I also try to answer the questions that come up on the forums if I have information that will help.  Transparency is key; it's your organization, I don't believe in secrets or the hold back of information nor the reasons for why decisions are made.  We also need stability in the ruleset.  I lived the Condron years as a car owner and it was maddening.  Back then it was Lemons or Chump, so the organization could do almost anything and get away with it.  Because of that behavior, we now have AER, WRL and Lucky Dog.  All we can do now is fight hard to present a consistent, reasonable set of rules that are tweaked, not re-written, and only done so once per year with total transparency and plenty of warning on changes.  This is the only way we will have a chance to win back the teams we lost from the craziness of those old years and keep our current members happy and wanting to race with us. 

-I am the Treasurer of the organization, and we are coming out of a time when there were no public financials or results.  I was instrumental in forming our first coherent set of financials.  In addition, my input, direction and interpretation of results and the effects of possible decisions have helped and will help keep the organization in the black and viable for all of us.  I’m happy that we are slightly profitable as an organization, but have pushed the Board to take care with all decisions.  If we lost 5% of our membership, we’d be in the red.  An economic downturn could put us in the red.  A few really bad losing races could do that too.  I keep these issues in the forefront of the Board.

-I believe in keeping the racing affordable, competitive, and accessible.  That means no more “free stuff” that raises the cost of racing for all.  That means an annual review of the VPI table, making sure that outliers are trimmed.  The flipside is I pushed hard to give the members 90-120 days notice before implementing crippling point increases to selected marquees. No one wants to build a car only to find it’s no longer competitive due to a no-warning rule change.  Geographically, we need to keep pushing as much as fiscally possible to add races in the central and west areas to give those racers a chance to experience ChampCar and grow our brand. 

-I understand the fiduciary role I play on the Board, which always requires removing self-interest for the better of organization.  I race my own Miata in the series, but even if a rule would hurt me personally, if it’s best for the organization, then it’s best.  Period.  Yes, I believe the MR2 is undervalued in points and should be increased. 

-I’m geographically from Denver, but race everywhere in the country.  Because of where I live now (technically the central region), I regularly race out west and in the central region in my Miata, but also have raced up and down the eastern seaboard.  Because of this, I’m in a unique position to hear opinions from across the country.  I informally poll almost every race I go to, actively seeking issues and feedback, and I bring that information to the Board.

Accomplishments:

-I’ve served as Treasurer for ChampCar, with my background as a CFO and CPA, and helped get the financials in order and put into a presentable format this year (for the first time ever).  I work with the bookkeeper and the tax accountants on issues and financial results.

-I enlisted my intellectual rights attorney for help with securing the tradename ChampCar.  That work continues.   

-I developed and maintain a spreadsheet that shows attendance by race for us and our competitors to help us better understand who is succeeding, who is not, trends, and how ChampCar can grow and succeed. 

-I’ve never missed a meeting, and passionately but (I believe) reasonably present issues and solutions and my input into the important decisions we make as an organization.  I do not sit on the sidelines, and in many cases am the person to bring up issues to the Board to help us address them as they arrive.

-I keep members informed as much as possible by delivering information when people are asking for it on the forums.

-In my past, I’ve served on a number of boards, but I only serve on boards for organizations I’m passionate about. 

-I’m one of the earliest members on ChampCar, having done many, many races since 2010 on 25+ different tracks across the county.  I consider myself very lucky in this regard.

I hope I get your vote and welcome feedback and questions.   My number is CC000282.  Thanks!!!

Edited by Jer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

Will gladly support/nominate for a full term, you are good for this place and we would be very interested in keeping you on the board but with one caveat, please PM to help me understand your position on the west.

Done.

• Thanks 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

@Jer nice write up, but you still stick up for the MR 2 VPI too often. 

Although I did notice you mentioned it is undervalued. Is that just the politician in you talking???

Seriously, I'm just kidding. Really. 

I, and hopefully most members appreciate how much you've done for the club. Yes, your presence on the forum has been appreciated. When someone posted the BoD conversation about the proposal of the TAC commitee, you made your feelings obvious. I know guys that know you and they have positive comments. I volunteered for the TAC commitee and am honored that I was chosen. I look forward to working with you and the rest of the BoD to make a great race series even better! 

Thanks for your keen insight and willingness to share the financial details of where the club stands. 

I think you did a fine job in this post detailing what you've done for the club, and your passion for wanting to continue in this job is evident by your words and actions. Even though we haven't met, I wholeheartedly recommend to the rest of our membership to once again vote you In to a position on the board. Thanks for your dedication. 

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 2

I can't imagine there is a more qualified Secretary Treasusrer out there. Clearly, an essential role for the club. 

The BOD isn't just a popularity contest, this is a business after all. I assume people are being nominated for specific positions?

Edited by ABR-Glen

@Jer

is your role as treasurer linked to your role as a BOD member, or are you fulfilling two distinct roles.

phrases another way, if you aren’t re-elected, do we need a new treasurer?

thanks

4 minutes ago, Huggy said:

@Jer

is your role as treasurer linked to your role as a BOD member, or are you fulfilling two distinct roles.

phrases another way, if you aren’t re-elected, do we need a new treasurer?

thanks

First, thanks everyone for the nice comments.  I really appreciate it.  Huggy, on your question, yes, if I'm not re-elected the organization would need a new Treasurer.  Maybe someone on the current Board could serve that role, I really do not know.  

• Administrators

As an insider, Jer has been invaluable to the operation of the club as a business. He has fixed many of the issues we inherited. 

I recommended Jerry Enger for this position because of his skill as a "fixer". I want to nominate him again to serve another term as on the ChumpCar International Inc. Board of Directors.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 4:59 AM, Team Infiniti said:

Will gladly support/nominate for a full term, you are good for this place and we would be very interested in keeping you on the board but with one caveat, please PM to help me understand your position on the west.

@Jer I would recommend that you make that position public. Transparency and all. :)

• Like 2

Here is verbatim what I typed in my PM:

"My position on the west is this.  In order to keep trying to grow the series out west, I believe we should take a less is more stance.  We keep throwing club money away on losing races out there.  I believe we should do Laguna and Sonoma, which are at least break even each year, and add one more attempt each year to grow.  Last year we had three losing races out there and we simply cannot afford that many losing races.  Limit it to one.  If it breaks even or makes money, then add another the following year. Grow slowly with a good product, because simply flooding the area with races destroys our financials.  I don't want to give up, though, because we do want to be a national series. "

This stance will probably cost me some votes out west, but the overall financial security of the club is very, very important.  If the club fails, there will be zero races out west.  

Edited by Jer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jer said:

"My position on the west is this.  In order to keep trying to grow the series out west, I believe we should take a less is more stance.  We keep throwing club money away on losing races out there.  I believe we should do Laguna and Sonoma, which are at least break even each year, and add one more attempt each year to grow.  Last year we had three losing races out there and we simply cannot afford that many losing races.  Limit it to one.  If it breaks even or makes money, then add another the following year. Grow slowly with a good product, because simply flooding the area with races destroys our financials.  I don't want to give up, though, because we do want to be a national series. "

I agree with you 100%.  The past actions/inactions of Chump/Champ have made the west a mess, and that isn't going to be fixed by flooding the market.  There are always new people entering racing, and those new people won't have the baggage that was created with the old ones.  We can slowly grow that market to be as strong as the east, but we have to be patient.  Ultimately, we might even see some of the detractors come back but we can't expect that or even hope for that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2018 at 9:37 AM, Jer said:

This stance will probably cost me some votes out west, but the overall financial security of the club is very, very important.  If the club fails, there will be zero races out west.  

Sounds extremely logical, I like it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

What do you think the MR2 point value should be? 

Question 2: Why did the 2017 financials not report salaries of the CCES employees? (full or part time) 

Honestly, I do not know what the value of the base stock MR2 should be.  You well know how I feel about that car in stock form, but I will reiterate it here.  I've owned and campaigned stock MR2s in autocross and had mine on the track where it was a bonafide dog.  Too heavy and under-powered.  My personal opinion is they are not as track worthy in stock form as a 1.6 Miata which I've also owned, raced and had on the track. That being said,  I'll take whatever recommendation the TAC gives on that value.  I assume they've looked at the data.

Salaries of the individual staff is not public information, but is aggregately located on the 2nd line under costs in the annual P & L.  It was 298K, in total, in 2017.  That number will rise in 2018 as Bill is now an employee along with other changes inherent in any business (hirings, firing, terminations, etc).

Edited by Jer

On 9/6/2018 at 8:37 AM, Jer said:

Sounds appropriate to me; do one but do it right and it may work.

7 hours ago, mender said:

Sounds appropriate to me; do one but do it right and it may work.

FULL DISCLOSURE:

We recently discussed next year's schedule, and it has way more events out west than I was pushing for in 2019.  I took Mike to task on it, but here is why and what: Sonoma and Laguna both break even or make money.  They are a given.  Autoclub has a nice list for this next race and will break even, so we will return in 2019.  We are apparently adding a new track no one has raced on, and going back to a few tracks we've tried before, but at a substantial cost reduction due to configuration, length of event, and/or timing of event, meaning the break even is far lower than in the past.  Details to follow with the full schedule release, but I think under the plan for 2019 we will actually be doing upwards of six races out west, but might not lose money on any of them.  Under that scenario, we can grow the business without going in the red so it's a win win.  

Edited by Jer
  • Like 2