Bill Strong

2018 Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park Results

I think 1 or 2 people may have gotten me losing a wheel in the CR-X on video. If you have it, can you please post it or send it to me?  My GoPro wasn't working and since I stopped the Harry's lap recording while waiting for the tow truck, it abandoned the whole lap video. :(

And how is the guy in the Miata with the serious overheating/fuel consumption issues?

Djsteviec - we have some video, but poor quality, the camera gets blocked by the roll cage and the exciting part of the video doesn't show, you're in front, then you're off in the grass.

Good race, always fun to be able to do 12 hours with no full course cautions, great weather.

We fulfilled our plan of having the whole family in the car on the same day, 66 year age difference between my son Garrett and my Dad.  Had my wife in the car for a stint too, it had been 10 years or so since she'd had a turn.  We'd done 3 generations before, but not the whole family.   Pleased to say everyone got in the car, we finished, can cross that off the bucket list.

• Like 7

So what happened with the camping after the race?!  That was HIGHLY inconvenient! I mean we lost our engine at hr 8 and decided to not rush and try to swap it and just retired the car.  So we did some light packing up so that it would be easier to pack in the am.  But if we would have raced all the way until 8pm and then told to be out by 9pm?!  That is not even CLOSE to reasonable!  Heck the team that was paddock and camping next to us was not even back until AFTER the track official came thru telling us to GTFO!  (Back from awards!). They, like us were planning to camp there that night and best I could tell a LOT more teams as well.  

That at lack of communication and planning has put a very poor taste in mine and I assume many other teams mouths.  😢

whats being done about about this ChampCar?  What was discussed with the track prior to the event and why was it not communicated down to all the teams?

29 minutes ago, Kenbuilt79 said:

So what happened with the camping after the race?!  That was HIGHLY inconvenient! I mean we lost our engine at hr 8 and decided to not rush and try to swap it and just retired the car.  So we did some light packing up so that it would be easier to pack in the am.  But if we would have raced all the way until 8pm and then told to be out by 9pm?!  That is not even CLOSE to reasonable!  Heck the team that was paddock and camping next to us was not even back until AFTER the track official came thru telling us to GTFO!  (Back from awards!). They, like us were planning to camp there that night and best I could tell a LOT more teams as well.  

That at lack of communication and planning has put a very poor taste in mine and I assume many other teams mouths.  😢

whats being done about about this ChampCar?  What was discussed with the track prior to the event and why was it not communicated down to all the teams?

So I just glanced at the Supps and it doesn't seem to be clear. I'm surprised no one asked about this before the race. I've not read through the Official pre-race thread to see if anything was mentioned. But it should have been clear in the Supps about when you all had to be out of the paddock. The schedule leaves it unanswered but I would have assumed you were supposed to leave right after the awards ceremony without any other information. Nevertheless, that is a bummer to be caught out like that. 

If it makes you feel any better I know how this feels as something similar happened to us at Chuckwalla. Different circumstances but the end result was the same. We were getting dinner ready and suddenly had to pack up and GTFO. OTOH, at Utah, the track was happy to take my money so we could stay another night. However, the Supps stated that everyone had to be gone by 6 PM (race ended at 10am after a 24 hour race). But in this case, this was the end of ChampCar's obligation to the track. I could make my own arrangements with the track separate from ChampCar. In short, normally there is a deadline mentioned as to when you have to be out of the paddock. 

I would personally contact Dana Morrison or Mike Chisek directly about the lack of clarity in the Supps, but I would also recommend reading the Supps ahead of time and asking questions. 

Edited by FlorahDorah

I read the supps, before the event a few times, and yes I guess I should have asked for clarity (not that I should have to) it’s not like this is their first time hosting an event.  

I asked in that thread read leading up to the event, heck I even called the track!  

And the track said you could stay overnight? 

In any case, neither Mr. Chisek or Mr. Morrison hang out on the forum, so email or call them directly to point this out. You can find their emails on the Contact Us area of the champcar.org website. 

My first time at the track.

As soon as the event is over, our contract with the track ends. Anything after that, ie camping, or staying in the garages is up to the track. The track manager said that everyone was supposed to be out of the paddock and garages. We double checked the supps to make sure I did not add anything about camping. Some folks had told the track manager that they were allowed to camp the previous year. From what I understand, that did not happen with ChumpCar. 

Dana can add to this, but he is currently traveling for military duty so it may be a few days.

Thank you for the reply Mr Strong.  

Not knowing the “inner workings” of ChampCar I don’t know everything works on your end, and that’s ok.  For instance I don’t know when your contract ends, 8pm as soon as the checkers fly, or midnight...  etc. 

So in the future for my sake and many other could you include the dates that camping is available at those events?  

For this event the timeline to leave seamed quite aggressive (9pm is what I was told) to be able to finish the race, attend awards, and pack to leave...  even if you were not camping that’s not enough time.  

Thank you, and I look forward to your reply

Ken

• Like 1

On the positive side of things.  Thanks to Champcar and Thompson for an awesome race at a great price.

We had a heartbreaker of a weekend having a fast car that (likely) blew a rear main seal with an hour and change to go.  We woke up the next day back at the base in Rochester and drove out to a junk yard and picked up a nice looking replacement motor.  Gotta get ready for Calabogie then Pitt.

On the WTF side of things:  we got hit by two different cars in practice.   Luckily nothing but cosmetic, but come on guys, enough with the aggressive driving before the race.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, theblue said:

On the WTF side of things:  we got hit by two different cars in practice.   Luckily nothing but cosmetic, but come on guys, enough with the aggressive driving before the race.

Yeah, one of those was my fault (Yellow Miata). The red mist descended and I made a stupid move; it's doubly embarrassing because I pride myself in particular on not doing that dumb crap during a race, let alone during practice. Glad I didn't ruin your car!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PeriSoft said:

Yeah, one of those was my fault (Yellow Miata). The red mist descended and I made a stupid move; it's doubly embarrassing because I pride myself in particular on not doing that dumb crap during a race, let alone during practice. Glad I didn't ruin your car!

thanks for owning up to it.  we all do boneheaded things out there sometimes.  I hold no ill will.

• Like 3

Wasn't in my own car this weekend so I don't have our full story, but I have a great time driving this track... another 100 or so laps and I might finally figure out a way through Turn 4 that doesn't suck :lol:

subsonic_miata.thumb.jpg.677f7477dda5d2a996bd6b47ff196880.jpg

We were in the #379 Miata, only it's second outing as an endurance racer.  I'd say we got everything out of it we could considering our early "minor inconvenience" about 40 minutes it...

merelyfleshwound.thumb.jpg.e3951c6e2e34903c05b0d42562c09d20.jpg

We tore in and got it cobbled back together... we were helped/hurt in equal measure by the red flag as we were 80% repaired when it was called... ended up taking a ten minute penalty for working under a red (in the paddock?  really? I must have missed that in the rules) but all in all we lost less with the penalty than we would had we stopped work.  Live and learn.

Must have done our repair well as we managed to set FTD for all "A" cars and tenth fastest overall, winding up 21st out of all cars after restarting dead last after the red.  Granted, we were driving pretty hard to get there.   As an FYI, RE71s last about 10.5 hours on a Miata at Thompson when driven by a very talented young F4 driver (and four idiots) :lol:  

abitworn.thumb.jpg.7c1fbc8493ccfb6290b794b85cb69265.jpg

7 minutes ago, Gearhead_42 said:

We tore in and got it cobbled back together... we were helped/hurt in equal measure by the red flag as we were 80% repaired when it was called... ended up taking a ten minute penalty for working under a red (in the paddock?  really? I must have missed that in the rules) but all in all we lost less with the penalty than we would had we stopped work.  Live and learn.

That is kind of BS. If you were already in the paddock and working before any Black or Red flag, you are not part of the those incidents. This happened to us at The Glen and we were ok as we had been in the garage a bit before the Black Flag All.

Edited by djsteviec
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, djsteviec said:

That is kind of BS. If you were already in the paddock and working before any Black or Red flag, you are not part of the those incidents. This happened to us at The Glen and we were ok as we had been in the garage a bit before the Black Flag All.

Caught me by surprise too... Jimmie was almost embarrassed when he came to tell us we had to stop work. We stopped after he told us too, but we got held at the restart anyway. That's racing I guess.

• Confused 1

So about the camping, Bill is absolutely correct, our contract with tracks ends when the event ends. Now, some tracks will allow teams to stay on site, some will not, it's totally up to the track. Additionally, Thompson had some management changes since last year, but ultimately, it's up to them.

So, what does this mean for next year? I discussed things with the Operations Manager. Next year we will still have to clear the paddock area (over the bridge) after the event. But if you want to remain there Saturday night you can camp in the area alongside the oval track or in the camping area outside turn 1.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gearhead_42 said:

Caught me by surprise too... Jimmie was almost embarrassed when he came to tell us we had to stop work. We stopped after he told us too, but we got held at the restart anyway. That's racing I guess.

Red flag means that the event has stopped period., No scoring, no working on cars regardless of if your in the pits or the paddock.   The rule book is your friend and so are the driver meetings.   That;s not racing, that's the rules.

• Thanks 1

At the risk of sounding disgruntled, I will say that that it seemed as though the driving left a little to be desired in general.  I didn't think the racing line was quite so hard to figure out on that track.

Easy for me to seem this way, we were in the other yellow miata and got 3 corners of the car bent coming onto the front straight by a car that was 100+ laps down to us.  None of the team that hit us came to find out what happened.  I happened across them at the end of the day where the responses varied from "no, we weren't involved" to "well my car doesn't have any damage".  We spent an hour on jackstands replacing control arms at both ends of the car.  The car that hit us got a 5 minute penalty. 

Still no news on the driver of the car that burned?  I really hope that guy ends up OK, pretty scary stuff right there.

Travis, the driver of the car that caught fire is in the hospital and doing ok. His brother Jay Dee and owner of the car is with him. He is planning to talk when he has less going on and give insight to what happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DEE DEE said:

Red flag means that the event has stopped period., No scoring, no working on cars regardless of if your in the pits or the paddock.   The rule book is your friend and so are the driver meetings.   That;s not racing, that's the rules.

Apologies, but it hasn't always, and if you can find that in the rulebook, please point it out because I couldn't find it when I looked on my phone on Saturday.  I have definitely been at red flagged events  (granted, I've been doing this since 2011, so times change) where all *on track and pit activity stops* but, if you were already in the garage/paddock prior, you could continue work.  

Like I said, we stopped once were were told the rule on site, and not even all the experienced Champcar staff present were in absolute agreement about what the red flag meant, garage wise...

Edited by Gearhead_42
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gearhead_42 said:

Apologies, but it hasn't always, and if you can find that in the rulebook, please point it out because I couldn't find it when I looked on my phone on Saturday.  I have definitely been at red flagged events  (granted, I've been doing this since 2011, so times change) where all *on track and pit activity stops* but, if you were already in the garage/paddock prior, you could continue work.  

Like I said, we stopped once were were told the rule on site, and not even all the experienced Champcar staff present were in absolute agreement about what the red flag meant, garage wise...

If you were allowed to work on your car during a red flag situation you had an unfair advantage think about it.  Doesn't matter if you were in the garage, paddock or pit lane before the red came out.   I've been road racing since 1976 and the display of the red flag always stopped the event period.  The meaning of the red flag has never changed.   We couldn't even approach the  vehicle in pit lane until directed by an official.   If your at  Pitt I would be happy to discuss this further with you.  But perhaps it needs to be added into the driver meetings and the school sessions.

I think that a red flag situation needs to be explicit in the rules and mentioned at the drivers' meeting. In many races out west there is no PA system and no visibility from the paddock to the closest flag stand. Not to mention races being short-handed. Not all teams monitor the ChampCar staff's radios either. There is also the case where pit lane is closed (red flag) while the track is yellow. Some of us haven't been racing for years and some people have never raced so reminders are extremely helpful not to mention documentation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The word RED shows up twice in the BCCR:  Once referring to he color of the kill switch, the other using the brand name of Red Line water wetter.

• Thanks 1

just got our busted motor out from this race.  we thought it was the rear main (oil everywhere), but look what I found in the oil pan.

reviewing footage we found two money shifts from a renter.

40768672_910031792519104_3205521452363153408_n.jpg

• Sad 4