gsmith2424

Point Out The Fails With This And Any Possible Improvements That We Could Use

Found this video (and facebook post) of a race crash that happened last weekend in the Dominican Republic and the result of said crash (Driver from what has been posted only had a broken arm which in of itself is a miracle). I was surprised at all of the fails from A-Z with this and some pro drivers have been posting about this. What does everyone think and would you race on a track like this with the known issues? Thought I would share to see if anything could be learned from this and applied to what we race to improve safety/prevent anything like this from happening.

Pictures Of Car After Crash: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5508588715/permalink/10155833342833716/

Clearer Video Of Impact:

Edited by gsmith2424
  • Sad 1

Like whoa. Had to watch the bottom vid 2-3x to realize that was the driver flying out of the car and not a corner worker. 

Holy smokes. Insanely lucky.

The more I watch the video the more crazy stuff I see... low tire barriers begging to be flipped over (and into paddock areas), blunt ends of walls, places where mechanical failures (tire/wheel/steering) could lead to a car blowing through a section of grass back to a different section of the course.... 

Life expectancy of a corner worker ?        Ahhh just a little while , and a fans about the same .   

Where the words visor down are never heard .  

The braking markers are in the wrong place too, they are running the course backwards. On top of  the inadequate safety standards, they are meant for cars going the other way! We are lucky here in the States. Most of these lessons have been learned in the 50"s and 60's.

image.thumb.png.325c84afa379aa3c56c9eb3b9d9efc82.png

what in the actual f**k is going on there.  that's less safe than TMP in canada.

was the driver not wearing a harness?

Edited by theblue

17 minutes ago, theblue said:

what in the actual f**k is going on there.  that's less safe than TMP in canada.

was the driver not wearing a harness?

Lol, what did you witness at TMP?

what haven't I witnessed.  My favorite is their helmet rule.   If one person in the car has a helmet, everybody in the car must have a hemet.  think about that.

but last time there I witnessed a passanger in a miata smoking a cig while heading out onto track.  an E36 burning down because of a loose can of WD40 in the trunk that hit both battery terminals.

they are most famous for putting bails of hay in front of a concrete wall with spectators behind it in a track out area.   a car used them as a ramp and made it over the wall.

4 minutes ago, theblue said:

what haven't I witnessed.  My favorite is their helmet rule.   If one person in the car has a helmet, everybody in the car must have a hemet.  think about that.

but last time there I witnessed a passanger in a miata smoking a cig while heading out onto track.  an E36 burning down because of a loose can of WD40 in the trunk that hit both battery terminals.

they are most famous for putting bails of hay in front of a concrete wall with spectators behind it in a track out area.   a car used them as a ramp and made it over the wall.

Ohh yes I am aware of all of this. I just find amusement in what others have witnessed.

@theblue have you ever been to a "Topp drift" event at Shannonville??!! Shanny could rival TMP in sketch  factor! I'm sure mopar knows exactly what I'm talking about!

They are cheap test days, but boy oh boy do you ever need to be aware of your surroundings!

14 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

@theblue have you ever been to a "Topp drift" event at Shannonville??!! Shanny could rival TMP in sketch  factor! I'm sure mopar knows exactly what I'm talking about!

They are cheap test days, but boy oh boy do you ever need to be aware of your surroundings!

Shannonville is a lot further and so much more sketchy from what I've seen in videos.

I miss Dunnville!  now that was a good track.

another thing that gets me is the drivers... at the 50 second mark, you can see the car cut in half and standing still. It takes several seconds for the flagger at start/finish to realize a flag is needed...then you have corner workers furiously waving the red flag for cars to stop. All the cars ignore the red flags and keep running at full speed, right up until 1 of them almost hits the ambulance that came on track to respond more than a minute later. The amount of dumbassery is just mid boggling.

• Like 1