"new" fueling rules

• Technical Advisory Committee

I became aware of this change last night.  This is a PSA in case anyone else missed the deal like me, and has been violating the rules.

The Supps for most (Harris Hill is an exception, due to facility differences?) recent and future races have included SRPP7

The New rule is this:

image.png.52cd8cb2c6010a7546711587ee85265c.png

The old rule was this:

image.png.65c0963a0c010f7a781d4279f5286db2.png

From what I can tell, it switched earlier this year?  I totally screwed up and missed the boat, and have been fueling the old way (with normal socks) all year.  

I also have volunteer crew that I now need to purchase some "loaner" nomex socks for, and need to buy some balaclavas also.

Edited by Huggy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Huggy said:

I became aware of this change last night.  This is a PSA in case anyone else missed the deal like me, and has been violating the rules.

The Supps for most (Harris Hill is an exception, due to facility differences?) recent and future races have included SRPP7

The New rule is this:

image.png.52cd8cb2c6010a7546711587ee85265c.png

The old rule was this:

image.png.65c0963a0c010f7a781d4279f5286db2.png

From what I can tell, it switched earlier this year?  I totally screwed up and missed the boat, and have been fueling the old way (with normal socks) all year.  

I also have volunteer crew that I now need to purchase some "loaner" nomex socks for, and need to buy some balaclavas also.

You weren't the only team that missed that.  THANK YOU for posting this.

I always read the supps before a race, but when you are reading stuff that you have read 10-20 times before, it is easy to say "yada yada yada" and not notice small changes.  It would be nice if those types of evolutions were flagged with something like "UPDATED" when they were changed, to draw you in a bit.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Steward > Supps > BCCR

If the supps say it, then the steward does not need to say it.

Don't you think they/we know that?  

Mike goes over a LOT of stuff that is in the rules before a race, because he knows that there is value in doing it.  @chip was just pointing out that it is surprising this NEW requirement wasn't mentioned.

@Huggyis not an idiot.  @chip is not an idiot either.  I know that you are new to Marketing, but the standard definition of Marketing roles doesn't typically include "make your best and most loyal customers look/feel like idiots".  I can't help but wonder if you have a background in IT......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

It has been fixed in the BCCR for 2019. 
moving onto the next job at hand....

Proper seat belt usage.

Bill,

I am a bit shocked and concerned at the triviality you are presenting regarding this issue.

Real world cost to me is going to be at least $150 to equip my volunteers with these materials.  ($25 each for SM, Med, Large socks, 3 balaclavas, shipping)

Bigger issue is that I feel bad for missing this, and I am honestly presenting that to you in an effort to point out that this change was not effectively communicated to the masses, and is not effectively being enforced. 

Perhaps a communication to the membership will help alert everyone that this is a new requirement, and let teams purchase budget equipment prior to visiting a track, versus finding out <1 week before a race when they do (or don't) read the supplemental rules that contradict the BCCR's directive on fueling rules.  

I am guessing this safety related fueling change is a result of insurance requirements, and therefore had to be implemented immediately instead of waiting for the BCCR refresh.  If thats the case, I think an announcement is appropriate. 

Perhaps I missed the announcement, if so, I apologize.  I did a cursory search of my email when I was looking back at the supplemental rules from races I attended earlier this year, and did not see any.  VIR South did not have SRPP7 updated, but Charlote did (March 2 vs April 25), so the change happened somewhere in that time period?

Thanks

Chris

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Bill,

I am a bit shocked and concerned at the triviality you are presenting regarding this issue.

Real world cost to me is going to be at least $150 to equip my volunteers with these materials.  ($25 each for SM, Med, Large socks, 3 balaclavas, shipping)

Bigger issue is that I feel bad for missing this, and I am honestly presenting that to you in an effort to point out that this change was not effectively communicated to the masses, and is not effectively being enforced. 

Perhaps a communication to the membership will help alert everyone that this is a new requirement, and let teams purchase budget equipment prior to visiting a track, versus finding out <1 week before a race when they do (or don't) read the supplemental rules that contradict the BCCR's directive on fueling rules.  

I am guessing this safety related fueling change is a result of insurance requirements, and therefore had to be implemented immediately instead of waiting for the BCCR refresh.  If thats the case, I think an announcement is appropriate. 

Perhaps I missed the announcement, if so, I apologize.  I did a cursory search of my email when I was looking back at the supplemental rules from races I attended earlier this year, and did not see any.  VIR South did not have SRPP7 updated, but Charlote did (March 2 vs April 25), so the change happened somewhere in that time period?

Thanks

Chris

Chris, 

Shipping is free for orders over $90 :) 

• Haha 2