Aleru

The Marathon Coach Sebring 14 hour

Overall, a pretty fun race at one of our home tracks. With the speed we showed at NCM, our goal was not just to win A class, but to shoot for an overall win against all of the fast C class teams. At the beginning of the race, we were starting around 25th or something, I got up to 4th overall at the end of the first 2 hours. Ran a 2:38 pretty comfortably and could probably get down to 2:37 with a clear track if I pushed it, but my teammate got on the radio and told me to slow down haha. backed a little off and tried to just run 2:39s and 2:40s throughout the stint.

My team did great on pit stops all day and all of our drivers were kickin' ass and we stayed in 3rd overall for most of the race.  When the lightning delay occurred, we were 3rd overall, just one lap down from KSR, and on same lap as Cone Crushers.  In the first stint after delay, we lost radio comms for some reason with our car. A caution came out and we tried to flag him in, but we caught him a lap too late, and as he came in the next lap, the green flag was waving. I believe Cone Crushers and Nine Four Motorsports Lexus both pitted under the yellow and didn't lose a lap. This set us back to 4th overall. 

Right before the last stint, we came into the pits to do the last fuel and driver change with 1:40 left. The car wouldn't idle and stalled at pit in. And stalled again when I tried to leave the pits. I got back in the car to close out the race and see if I can run down the Lexus on speed, as our fastest lap was 4 seconds a lap faster and they were about 58 seconds ahead of us. And with us losing about a minute on pit road because of the car stalling, I was pissed, so I was really feeling good about catching the Lexus. But, when I got in the car, I could tell the car was significantly slower than it was earlier in the day.  I realized the AFR was really rich and I wasn't getting to 5th gear as quickly as I was in the first stint.  Not sure if it was the MAF, The stock ECU pulling timing and making it rich, or maybe even a tuliped valve.  Once we realized after 30 minutes that I could only run about the same times as the Lexus with the way the car was running, we just wanted to finish so I pulled back about 3 seconds or so a lap, and it made for a very long stint without all that adrenaline rushing.

We are happy to get the A class win with a 9-lap lead, but we really wanted to get that top 3 spot to get one of the big trophies. Just short of the big trophies for the second race in a row was pretty frustrating.  But, we will have the car ready to go for the New Years Sebring race and we are very motivated to try for the top spot again and challenge you fast C-Class teams :) 

Big thanks to ChampCar for the fun event. Big thanks to our guys at Level One Racing, 5xRacing, and Autotechnik Engines, for all they do to make this a damn good champcar team!

See y'all in Sebring :) 

• Like 8

Sebring is a favorite of the 229 BMW and we came away from this one with a 31st which was about what we expected. We had a first time driver with us and he did an OK job turning 3:10 laps on average. He got some damp driving experience, too, whether he liked it or not!!! I'm ashamed to admit that, since Daytona I did not remove a single tire, change any brakes and did not even change the oil, which I normally do every race. Time and money escaped me, so I went with our good but used tires and I decided not to add another half worn brake pad to my collection of about 10 sets. The car ran flawless as usual and we didn't even lift the hood during the race. I did, however find myself with some very tired brakes with about 15 minutes to go so I just used engine braking and slowed down a tad to bring it home. New brake pads and tires are on the horizon, I'm sure. Great race and fun as usual. Mostly behaved, 'cept for a couple of incidents with that Accord and once the Boxster seemed to be going for the win at 10:15am but otherwise it was pretty tame. Hope our car is well behaved, especially with a new driver. Wish we had a "new driver" sign for the rear of the car. It's good info for all. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

Sebring is a favorite of the 229 BMW and we came away from this one with a 31st which was about what we expected. We had a first time driver with us and he did an OK job turning 3:10 laps on average. He got some damp driving experience, too, whether he liked it or not!!! I'm ashamed to admit that, since Daytona I did not remove a single tire, change any brakes and did not even change the oil, which I normally do every race. Time and money escaped me, so I went with our good but used tires and I decided not to add another half worn brake pad to my collection of about 10 sets. The car ran flawless as usual and we didn't even lift the hood during the race. I did, however find myself with some very tired brakes with about 15 minutes to go so I just used engine braking and slowed down a tad to bring it home. New brake pads and tires are on the horizon, I'm sure. Great race and fun as usual. Mostly behaved, 'cept for a couple of incidents with that Accord and once the Boxster seemed to be going for the win at 10:15am but otherwise it was pretty tame. Hope our car is well behaved, especially with a new driver. Wish we had a "new driver" sign for the rear of the car. It's good info for all. 

You could just run a "Watch Out" sign on the bumper all the time...   I mean...  that would be 100% accurate anyways right?  :D

24 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

You could just run a "Watch Out" sign on the bumper all the time...   I mean...  that would be 100% accurate anyways right?  :D

Kinda like 'warning, built by software engineers'?  🤣

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

that Porsche takes a beating every race.  I can't tell you how many times its made 'accidental contact' with another car.

I know that during my 2 stints I saw it off course at least twice, so I agree with the statements on them needing a sit down conversation to help correct the issues.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:49 AM, racerfink said:

I didn’t realize I was co-driving with Youtube royalty two weeks ago!  That’s me getting into the chop top Z around the 5:40 mark.

Great post. This really captures all of the excitement and chaos that happens at every race 

On 10/8/2018 at 10:49 AM, racerfink said:

I didn’t realize I was co-driving with Youtube royalty two weeks ago!  That’s me getting into the chop top Z around the 5:40 mark.

Opening scene, points to our contour and says "This.  Is champcar."

Lol

• Like 1

What's the deal on helmet cams, they are allowed again?

(I personally think they are cool as heck, if properly tethered I'm not sure I understand the problem if they aren't allowed)

8 hours ago, pintodave said:

What's the deal on helmet cams, they are allowed again?

(I personally think they are cool as heck, if properly tethered I'm not sure I understand the problem if they aren't allowed)

No they are not allowed.  They must have slipped through pit out while Jackie was on break or in the pace car .

The why, ask Michael Schumacher , what happens in a crash if the camera impacts the cage or gets caught on the net while you are twisting around on the next impact.  

Edited by Ray Franck
Spellin
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

No they are not allowed.  They must have slipped through pit out wyle Jackie was on break or in the pace car .

The why, ask Michael Schumacher , what happens in a crash if the camera impacts the cage or gets caught on the net wyle you are twisting around on the next impact.  

We'll be sure not to hit our heads on rocks skiing while racing champcar. 🙄  While i'm fine with not allowing them because its just another level of distraction, there are safe ways to mount them.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

We'll be sure not to hit our heads on rocks skiing while racing champcar. 🙄  While i'm fine with not allowing them because its just another level of distraction, there are safe ways to mount them.  

Just make sure the gopro mounted to your helmet doesent hit the rock ,cage, first bust it open and damage your head like his did .

Devils advocate, lets say one or two out of dozens of helmet mounting methods are approved. I ask: who wants to sit a extra 20 seconds @ pit out to get inspected for compliance?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Devils advocate, lets say one or two out of dozens of helmet mounting methods are approved. I ask: who wants to sit a extra 20 seconds @ pit out to get inspected for compliance?

Just gotta do 4:40 pit stops  ;)

• Haha 1