Aleru

The Marathon Coach Sebring 14 hour

1 hour ago, Racer28173 said:

Agreed.  @krispykritterYour turn in was too late and/or you didn’t carry nearly enough speed because you had lots of track left over.  When you do that, it looks like you are inviting the car behind to pass.  No one is saying you can’t drive a reasonable line, but the one shown in the video is a bit unexpected to say the least.  If you take some of these thoughts that these folks are throwing out seriously, you will instantly be faster (and safer)

etc

While nothing you've said is bad advice, I don't quite think we're the slowly bumbling about idiots we're being made out to be.  I'm willing to bet anything you can pick a random car and a random corner and analyze every possible way they did it wrong.  How many videos have you watched of me racing prior to deciding I don't have a clue?  I already agreed that wasn't the best line, but it was my attempt to go wide to allow the inside car to pass me without scrubbing a ton of speed.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect.  That move could've been better.  Our car could be faster.  Our drivers have a lot to learn.  I probably made a dumb mistake on every single lap of Sebring that I ran.

In all honesty, I'm getting the feeling I'm just too damn polite and should put a heck of a lot more effort into sticking to the racing line rather than trying to let the faster cars on by.  Clearly that strategy isn't working out too well.  Had I just cozied right up to the driver's door of the muscle car, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

While nothing you've said is bad advice, I don't quite think we're the slowly bumbling about idiots we're being made out to be.  I'm willing to bet anything you can pick a random car and a random corner and analyze every possible way they did it wrong.  How many videos have you watched of me racing prior to deciding I don't have a clue?  I already agreed that wasn't the best line, but it was my attempt to go wide to allow the inside car to pass me without scrubbing a ton of speed.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect.  That move could've been better.  Our car could be faster.  Our drivers have a lot to learn.  I probably made a dumb mistake on every single lap of Sebring that I ran.

In all honesty, I'm getting the feeling I'm just too damn polite and should put a heck of a lot more effort into sticking to the racing line rather than trying to let the faster cars on by.  Clearly that strategy isn't working out too well.  Had I just cozied right up to the driver's door of the muscle car, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I drove a little over 3 hours, I came up on your car several times since we were running at the front, I never had an issue with any of your car's driving when I came upon you.  Just keep on keeping on, we'll work around you, don't sweat it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Burningham said:

I drove a little over 3 hours, I came up on your car several times since we were running at the front, I never had an issue with any of your car's driving when I came upon you.  Just keep on keeping on, we'll work around you, don't sweat it.

Every one of us does genuinely try to drive the best we can and realize that we will be passed a lot, and attempt to be courteous drivers. I can't guarantee we will always get it right, but we do legitimately try.

I'd be genuinely surprised to find that any one of us had ever really contested a corner. When we get dive bombed, we yield. When someone comes out of the corner right on our ass, we'll let off the throttle and let you on by.  We know we're slow, we know our best finish will be top 30 or so. We're not here to ruin anyone else's race.

I appreciate the positive feedback lol 

3 hours ago, vtjballeng said:

Someone done blown up on the front straight

Holy smokes. Literally.

1 hour ago, krispykritter said:

Y'know, outside of champcar, I'm actually known for being really good at getting along with people, but I sure suck at it on this forum 😐

Not by all. You’re good in our teams book 👍

Look forward to racing with you guys at the next one

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

Holy smokes. Literally.

I actually called that in to our pit to try and let them know they had issues. They were only three garages down from us, but they were pumping gallons of smoke out during the parade laps.  Likely wouldn't have mattered in the end. Sucks to have that happen super early in a race 😞

2 hours ago, krispykritter said:

In all honesty, I'm getting the feeling I'm just too damn polite and should put a heck of a lot more effort into sticking to the racing line rather than trying to let the faster cars on by.  

I think this is the way to go. When we started My team would always be overly curteous and let people by and would lose a bunch of time  each time they did. It's now turned more to pushing hard and trying to get to a safe place for them to pass as quickly as possible. It's your track too you don't need to just move over. If it were me, I'd even drive a more defensive/inside line. Make it clear that they aren't getting a free pass through that corner, they will get by on the next one. 

Edited by thewheelerZ
  • Like 3

You asked for input and now you are pissy when you got it.... 

I guy I once worked with famously said to his wife.  “No, those jeans don’t make your butt look fat.  Your butt makes your butt look fat.  Your butt was fat long before you bought those jeans, so it is impossible that they are the cause.  Now can you not ask questions that you don’t want to here the answers to?”

To be crystal clear, I only commented on ONE corner in one stint.  Don’t extrapolate that single comment to be an assessment of the driver or the team.  Everything else was just generic “how to get better” advice that anyone could use. 

Edited by Racer28173

27 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

You asked for input and now you are pissy when you got it.... 

I also feel like it's a waste of time to respond, because from my point of you, you have literally ignored any counterpoint I raised, where I've acknowledged that both your advice is sound and that the corner maneuver someone else posted wasn't my best. Additionally, the input I was asking for was unrelated to the video you commented on (different drivers on different corners under different circumstances posted by a third party).

Nonetheless, I do read all the comments and advice I get, whether I agree with them or not, and try to explain where I'm coming from if I disagree, and try to learn from it regardless. Perhaps that's being pissy; if so, guilty.  One thing I have learned: (some of) the faster drivers have no clue how hard it is to keep track of multiple fast cars diving under you in a corner.

51 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

I think this is the way to go. When we started My team would always be overly curteous and let people by and would lose a bunch of time  each time they did. It's now turned more to pushing hard and trying to get to a safe place for them to pass as quickly as possible. It's your track too you don't need to just move over. If it were me, I'd even drive a more defensive/inside line. Make it clear that they aren't getting a free pass through that corner, they will get by on the next one. 

I definitely know we lose a lot of time on throttle lifts and point bys, but we know we're no where near fast enough to hold anyone off for more than a few corners and figured the risk wasn't worth it. I may be wrong on that... 

@krispykritter meh...don't read into it too much. It's simple, just stay on the racing line (in general) and don't worry about it. Faster cars are going to stick their nose in, out-brake you or pass you on the straights or otherwise get around you. Just be predictable and run the racing line and let others work for it. 

We've been racing with you guys for a few years and I don't ever recall any complaints about the team or issues with you on track. 😉

S. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Snorman said:

@krispykritter meh...don't read into it too much. It's simple, just stay on the racing line (in general) and don't worry about it. Faster cars are going to stick their nose in, out-brake you or pass you on the straights or otherwise get around you. Just be predictable and run the racing line and let others work for it. 

We've been racing with you guys for a few years and I don't ever recall any complaints about the team or issues with you on track. 😉

S. 

^^This. Being consistent and predictable is key. 

We learned more once we started using the racing line and watching the faster cars for a turn or two. 

"Oh hey the pavement is more grippy there."

"Oh hey.. we can go faster through those esses."

That and listening to a couple of Ross Bentley's webinars (thanks to @JDChristianson) and getting some coaching on track. 

• Like 2

SLS Racing had a good first 11 hours. We were a mess between pit stops and a rental driver and being short handed but we were having fun. Then this happened and ended out day

The car  will race again just sucked being taken out early. We finished 59th overall but could have been in the mid 40s with those last three hours of race time. 

CrashedRacecar.jpg

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, WastedAccounts said:

SLS Racing had a good first 11 hours. We were a mess between pit stops and a rental driver and being short handed but we were having fun. Then this happened and ended out day

The car  will race again just sucked being taken out early. We finished 59th overall but could have been in the mid 40s with those last three hours of race time. 

That sucks, it looks like the Boxster just got a little loose with the rear in that sweeper.  You had to be ready for that, seemed like there was grip there and then there wasn't.  Sorry y'all got taken out.

8 hours ago, WastedAccounts said:

CrashedRacecar.jpg

That boxster team were super aggressive every time I saw them go by. I did my best to just stay away from them because I was afraid something like this would happen! Sorry it ruined your night, but glad to see the damage wasn't too terrible! 

There was a miata team at Daytona that got whacked in a corner and spun, then, a minute later under yellow, a second car side swiped them and wrote off the car altogether. All happened like 12 laps in.

Totally unrelated, but I really want to race in a miata sometime. My old NB was a blast at autoX. 

15 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Y'know, outside of champcar, I'm actually known for being really good at getting along with people, but I sure suck at it on this forum 😐

You good by me. 

1 hour ago, krispykritter said:

That boxster team were super aggressive every time I saw them go by. I did my best to just stay away from them because I was afraid something like this would happen! Sorry it ruined your night, but glad to see the damage wasn't too terrible! 

Yes, that's the same Boxster that hit us in the bus stop at Daytona and that car is clearly driven by a bunch of yahoos with no regard for others. The front and right rear bumper cover of that car were torn up early in the race and we could clearly see it coming down the front straight when we were up in the suite. Clearly they had multiple contacts with other cars at Sebring. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Yes, that's the same Boxster that hit us in the bus stop at Daytona and that car is clearly driven by a bunch of yahoos with no regard for others. The front and right rear bumper cover of that car were torn up early in the race and we could clearly see it coming down the front straight when we were up in the suite. Clearly they had multiple contacts with other cars at Sebring. 

Wtf!! Why on earth would someone try to pass you on the inside there? In a Porsche Boxster yet... No regard for their car or yours there. Now I understand your comments. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Boxster

Holy crap, looks like he did most of the bustop in the grass.

10 hours ago, WastedAccounts said:

taken out

That sucked, kind of wondered what was up, saw our returned cool suit cooler but not not you guys after I got out of the car.

• Like 1

Just now, mcoppola said:

Wtf!! Why on earth would someone try to pass you on the inside there? In a Porsche Boxster yet... No regard for their car or yours there. Now I understand your comments. 

Mike...like I said...we could see that car clearly damaged in a couple areas when coming down the straight while we were hanging out in suite during the race. It was all torn up already around early afternoon, so clearly, they hit more than just the SLS guys. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WastedAccounts said:

After having lived the experience in our 944 at Sebring in December last year, I am always looking out for snap back from a spin.  

From the photo it looks like all you needed was a wheel.  Was there other damage?

20 hours ago, WastedAccounts said:

this happened

Seeing the boxster driver tap the brakes is painful, (watch it whip on first brake lights) seems to be a lack of understanding how those things drive.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Snorman said:

so clearly, they hit more than just the SLS guys. 

During my first stint, around 11am or so, there were several caution laps where that Boxster was getting pulled out of the tire wall and loaded onto a flatbed near turn 6.

21 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Watching the boxster driver tap the brakes is painful, (watch the thing whip on first brake lights) seems to be a lack of understanding how those things drive.

After watching both videos, may just be a lack of understanding how to drive! The whip was brake induced for sure. 

Edited by rockerbarc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Same one that got all cross in the carousel in front of me at sebring. In my vid earlier in this thread you can see i just chose to completely leave the tarmac while he sorted himself out. 

• Sad 1