E. Tyler Pedersen

2018 Official The Frozen Rotors Grand Prix at Road America

Did anyone see increased fuel consumption this event?  Our fuel burn was up a step. I still need to look at afr data to SR if it was running rich. 

4 hours ago, scottyk said:

You almost managed to take the lead car out of the race Saturday.

That was our hot foot Lenny -- he spun himself when he lost rear brakes.  Sorry -- he DID tell us about it, and we parked the car right after that.

4 hours ago, scottyk said:

You almost managed to take the lead car out of the race Saturday.

1 hour ago, Chris Shay said:

Did anyone see increased fuel consumption this event?  Our fuel burn was up a step. I still need to look at afr data to SR if it was running rich. 

we always use more at RA, but we used more than usual -- especially on Sunday.  However, we were really running rich and nothing we could do about it with the stock ECU.

4 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

2:45's out of the Masserati!?!?!?!?!  I wan to see it, maybe Joe was right after all😂

I think 2:45 is optimistic, but we were getting 2:53 with a car not to well sorted yet, and an engine running really rich.  The new car drives so much different than the original BiTurbo -- the turbo boost comes on NOW, and getting into the right foot used to be something that we had to do really early to build boost by Apex.  Now, as tail happy as it is, doing that will get it around very quickly, and none of us are used to that quite yet.  We had also planned on a diffuser and some down force to get us deeper before braking hard because the tail is so happy, but didn't get there.  I think with those things we can get it to under 2:50 -- but Joe is still wrong.  We tach out at below 140.  We will get killed on tracks like Daytona like we did this past year. 

6 hours ago, dipperk120 said:

That was our hot foot Lenny -- he spun himself when he lost rear brakes.  Sorry -- he DID tell us about it, and we parked the car right after that.

It is a little odd to spin on a straight from LACK of rear brakes - usually a spin comes from locked rear wheels.  If the fronts locked, the normal car dynamic would be for it to continue in a straight line (which would have been great, since our car left you a lane and a half and there is a huge paved runoff for that turn).  Are you sure there isn’t a secondary problem?

8 hours ago, Chris Shay said:

Yes, we sure did.  Assuming due to cold temps, similar happened at Barber last year when we started at 28 degrees.

7 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

It is a little odd to spin on a straight from LACK of rear brakes - usually a spin comes from locked rear wheels.  If the fronts locked, the normal car dynamic would be for it to continue in a straight line (which would have been great, since our car left you a lane and a half and there is a huge paved runoff for that turn).  Are you sure there isn’t a secondary problem?

That is likely true in most cases with a well sorted car -- and you are right, there is a secondary and tertiary problem;  it was really squirrelly going downhill, in the rain, towards turn 5.  The car at that point only had a string alignment and no fine tuning on the front or rear sways, so braking all weekend was a bit of a handful (mentioned that in my original post).

Lenny reported that he lost most of the pedal there and then locked up the front wheels.  He spun in the excitement and shock of loosing the pedal, then spun and caught you guys as he was turned backwards on the track.  He didn't know who he tagged, but now that we know, I will have him reach out to you -- we always try to do that to apologize (not like we hit folks regularly -- its usually the other way round but rarely does anyone come and talk to us). 

For our team, I am sorry -- and Lenny apologized to our team immediately.  I know he is not happy about that, and he was more upset that he didn't know who he hit, and admitted that it was his fault.  Lenny has been racing for many years, mostly SCCA on the west coast in Italian sports cars and sedans, and he was our fast lap this past weekend.  However, as we all know, even those of us who have been racing for decades make stupid mistakes on occasion......

Sorry.  I'll make sure I come see you and buy you a beer when we meet at the next race.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dipperk120 said:

That is likely true in most cases with a well sorted car -- and you are right, there is a secondary and tertiary problem;  it was really squirrelly going downhill, in the rain, towards turn 5.  The car at that point only had a string alignment and no fine tuning on the front or rear sways, so braking all weekend was a bit of a handful (mentioned that in my original post).

Lenny reported that he lost most of the pedal there and then locked up the front wheels.  He spun in the excitement and shock of loosing the pedal, then spun and caught you guys as he was turned backwards on the track.  He didn't know who he tagged, but now that we know, I will have him reach out to you -- we always try to do that to apologize (not like we hit folks regularly -- its usually the other way round but rarely does anyone come and talk to us). 

For our team, I am sorry -- and Lenny apologized to our team immediately.  I know he is not happy about that, and he was more upset that he didn't know who he hit, and admitted that it was his fault.  Lenny has been racing for many years, mostly SCCA on the west coast in Italian sports cars and sedans, and he was our fast lap this past weekend.  However, as we all know, even those of us who have been racing for decades make stupid mistakes on occasion......

Sorry.  I'll make sure I come see you and buy you a beer when we meet at the next race.

Thanks for the additional color.  When Scott told us what happened, I was so confused.  How do you get a dent on the RIGHT side from a car that is BEHIND you in turn 5?  The braking zone bends slightly left so it seemed nuts. I kept saying “don’t you mean turn 3??”   After watching the video, it happened exactly the way he described it, as crazy as it sounded.  

Thank you for the offer of the beer - accepted!

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Thanks for the additional color.  When Scott told us what happened, I was so confused.  How do you get a dent on the RIGHT side from a car that is BEHIND you in turn 5?  The braking zone bends slightly left so it seemed nuts. I kept saying “don’t you mean turn 3??”   After watching the video, it happened exactly the way he described it, as crazy as it sounded.  

Thank you for the offer of the beer - accepted!

Yea, we dinged the right front even though he was to your right -- only could have happened if he was pointed uphill when he tagged you.  First dent on the first outing.......note the painter's tape holding the headlight bezel on.  It'll buff out..........

Where is your next outing?  We are planning Laguna Seca and Sonoma next -- leaving the car in CA between races and flying back home.

1043576968_NewMas1.thumb.jpg.da5bc6e56c7be5fd8b73cd750deae509.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

5 minutes ago, dipperk120 said:

Yea, we dinged the right front even though he was to your right -- only could have happened if he was pointed uphill when he tagged you.  First dent on the first outing.......note the painter's tape holding the headlight bezel on.  It'll buff out..........

Where is your next outing?  We are planning Laguna Seca and Sonoma next -- leaving the car in CA between races and flying back home.

1043576968_NewMas1.thumb.jpg.da5bc6e56c7be5fd8b73cd750deae509.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

Our next race is spring Road America. I would love to see video from the Porsche if he was running a camera.....

So I'm here watching the Sunday live broadcast (mostly listening) and I hear @Paulie say something which caught my ear:  "....#32 narrowly avoided a spinning car in turn 12"

Hmm.. Interesting... the driver in the car at this point in time didn't say anything about a spin. So I go and check the video. And now I present to you a FANTASTIC save by our driver (who can identify himself if he wants).

(PS: this is why you install great mirrors and put in the time and attention to detail to maximize rear and side visibility)

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

Above is a Mustang spin from Sunday around 10:30.  Sorry I can't tell which one.  Nothing controversial - just posting it because guys always say "does anyone have video of....." 

And this is the Pontiac.  Looks like he braked a little bit too deep.  I don't think the Miata tapped him but can't fully tell from this angle.  This is around 8:52 on Sunday

Edited by Racer28173

That mustang was our car #37 MotorCrap.  The incar video of that spin and subsequent tap of the tire wall was just as fun to watch.

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GHtY1Hk82oo?start=1270" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can't seam to figure out how to embed this video.

Edited by rustylx

22 hours ago, enginerd said:

So I'm here watching the Sunday live broadcast (mostly listening) and I hear @Paulie say something which caught my ear:  "....#32 narrowly avoided a spinning car in turn 12"

Hmm.. Interesting... the driver in the car at this point in time didn't say anything about a spin. So I go and check the video. And now I present to you a FANTASTIC save by our driver (who can identify himself if he wants).

(PS: this is why you install great mirrors and put in the time and attention to detail to maximize rear and side visibility)

Didn't notice him being off his lap like 8 seconds?

On 10/27/2018 at 8:28 PM, enginerd said:

Sorry about that one, Matt came in after he spun there. He snapped a CV and a wheel bearing when he hit the brakes and the car just looped.  He said he was very impressed with the BMW's avoidance, and now I see why too.

• Like 2

Some teams reported worse fuel economy (presumably an effect of the abnormally cold air), on that same line of thought, I noticed a slight lack of grip compared to previous years, and data confirmed slightly lower cornering speeds. Did anyone else experience this? Was the track so cold that the grip was reduced compared to last year?

If not... I'm going to have to take a look at those suspension and aero tweaks that I made to the car since October 2017!!!

Also... is there a generally agreed upon "ideal track temp" or "ideal ambient temp" for the street tires we run?

Edited by enginerd

15 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Some teams reported worse fuel economy (presumably an effect of the abnormally cold air), on that same line of thought, I noticed a slight lack of grip compared to previous years, and data confirmed slightly lower cornering speeds. Did anyone else experience this? Was the track so cold that the grip was reduced compared to last year?

If not... I'm going to have to take a look at those suspension and aero tweaks that I made to the car since October 2017!!!

Also... is there a generally agreed upon "ideal track temp" or "ideal ambient temp" for the street tires we run?

What tires are you running? Stickers or scrubs?

Edited by mender

On 10/27/2018 at 7:28 PM, enginerd said:

Great situational awareness!  Best move of the weekend. This is an underrated skill. 

I agree that it’s really important to maximize your visibility. It takes me about 20 min to clean all of the windows inside and out. It pays to be meticulous for visibility. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mender said:

What tires are you running? Stickers or scrubs?

We scrubbed 4 stickers Friday, ran them  for 2 hours of dry and 6 hours of rain Saturday, and continued running them Sunday. Sunday is the day I comparing laps and data from last year.

22 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Ideal temps are certainly more than 50 deg!  LOL

ideal is probably 60-70 temps with partial sun. How much heat you put into your tires will change your cars ideal. 

The track struggled for grip grip after the oil dry went down. I felt a bit of oil in 5 and 12 that I don’t think got cleaned up. Track wasn’t great for cornering speeds. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, enginerd said:

We scrubbed 4 stickers Friday, ran them  for 2 hours of dry and 6 hours of rain Saturday, and continued running them Sunday. Sunday is the day I comparing laps and data from last year.

I should have left it at what tires, meaning what brand. The sticker/scrub was a separate question but reviewing now looks like part of the first. :)

RE-71Rs will work in colder temps than R-S4s. 

Edited by mender