E. Tyler Pedersen

2018 Official The Frozen Rotors Grand Prix at Road America

46 minutes ago, Silverbeast said:

Where is all that video at!!!!????  There has to be some good ones from this crazy event in the Rain and snow!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Silverbeast said:

Where is all that video at!!!!????  There has to be some good ones from this crazy event in the Rain and snow!

^^This. Getting the popcorn ready. 

I shared @red0's 'how I think I drove' vs. 'how I really drove' with a couple of my teammates. They laughed. Then we went looking for video on YouTube of sliding things on ice.... and wasted another 30 minutes... 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

I have 2 hours of video from Saturday and 8 hours from Sunday.  I'm still working through it.  

I think the one rental guy who pushed the button on the go pro on Saturday did a "push and hold" which put the camera into Time Lapse photo mode which meant we took about 2 hours worth of pictures every .5 seconds.... until the camera finally died.  So I got my morning stint captured in about 10,000 pictures...Might have some nice stills in there I guess...

48 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

I have 2 hours of video from Saturday and 8 hours from Sunday.  I'm still working through it.  

Just get the last 15 minutes from Sunday uploaded!!!

I wanna see it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Silverbeast said:

Been watching this guy.  Trying to find myself.  I know he loses it 3 times gently in the rain at least...

Wasn't able to drive this event, but our car IS NOT set up well for the rain/sleet/snow.  When the rear decides to go not a lot you can do.

In the dry, that's another story.

Edited by hotchkis23
  • Sad 1

ouch!  man when you spin, be a stationary target, not a rolling one.  Stay on the the brakes until it's clear. 

4 hours ago, skierman64 said:

I clear case of target fixation.  

I disagree to a point.  the spun car kept rolling forward, eliminating the track space.  Check the slow mo video and see it moving.  

10 minutes ago, Jer said:

I disagree to a point.  the spun car kept rolling forward, eliminating the track space.  Check the slow mo video and see it moving.  

If anything the car moved further away from the apex but he looked stationary to me. Look at the dark part of the track and where the front wheels are in relation to the dark area. 

5 minutes ago, enginerd said:

If anything the car moved further away from the apex but he looked stationary to me. Look at the dark part of the track and where the front wheels are in relation to the dark area. 

OK, I'm wrong.  Still feel bad for the driving car.  

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

When I loop a car I try to get it to roll clear of the track and away from the apex. That didn't help me here at Portland:

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Silverbeast said:

I think the one rental guy who pushed the button on the go pro on Saturday did a "push and hold" which put the camera into Time Lapse photo mode which meant we took about 2 hours worth of pictures every .5 seconds.... until the camera finally died.  So I got my morning stint captured in about 10,000 pictures...Might have some nice stills in there I guess...

Make a flip book, HAHA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sucks for the TRM driver, with the way that corner is, if he tries to duck more to the right he runs the risk of having a bad date with the wall on the right.....It is much easier to judge when it's a video replay.  I know when I go through that corner I always am looking ahead due to where the fast line is through it.  Glad no one was hurt.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, enginerd said:

This was my view of the same wreck:

You were following our driver in the roofless Orange Neon.  If the camera system was working we would have had good video of this wreck too!

ÌTeam DIRTE-30 made their Champcar debut at Road America (1988 BMW 325is). This was our first race as car owners (rented seats at Brainard and watched Ginger Man).

What a blast actually building the car and getting it ready our first race. Let's just say replacing rear subframe bushings is not my favorite job...

We showed up early Friday morning, got the car through Tech and got a few dry pracrice laps before lunch.  We kept getting a bad engine stumble (even with a full tank) coming out of the bend.  Once the Heavy Rain came we parked it until the afternoon, tried replacing the fuel filter and moving the surge pot none of which seem to help.  Toward the end of the practice session the track dried out and the rest of the drivers were able to get some dry lap practice, this was very helpful to our team as none of us had driven the track before. It takes a while to get used to these downhill braking zones and know how deep you can drive it in. 

The go-karting was an absolute blast and I absolutely looked forward to it. I managed to qualify in the top 10 and secure a spot in the feature. I absolutely loved the twist in the driver's meeting about sending the last five finishers in the kart feature to the tail of the Champ field on Saturday.  I started the race in sixth or seventh and quickly worked up to 2nd, the leader (track employee)and I were quickly distancing from the pack. I thought to myself as long as I don't shoot myself in the foot things will be alright when all of a sudden a "pop", there went the RF tire! I managed to continue to muscle the wounded kart around for the next five laps, desperately trying to finish in the top 10 to avoid going to the tail of the field. When the checkered flag finally waved I finished ninth....wheeeew!!

We started the Saturday in ninth, was running strong until the rain/snow came. Our 245 RS4's were not the tire of choice for those conditions.  We managed to ease the car around the track in 4th and 5th gear and keep it moving amongst the carnage everywhere.  We also were able to run 2hr stints on fuel (only 3 stops). We finished the day 21st.

Sunday we started 10 or 11th again and managed to stay there for most the stint, our car was running sub 3:00 for the first time.  After doing the math from Saturday we knew the car would not make it two hours on fuel. We knew we were going to need probably four or five pit stops for the day. The car was running very well except for the  stumble coming out of the bend, but it was manageable.  The car was awesome in the corners and braked really well, was definitely slower on the straights.  This made for some really fun battles on track. I really had fun racing against Brittish American Racing  E30 around 1130-1pm and the Orange and Blue Mercedes, we mixed it up andtraded spots several times. Good clean racing! Nice job guys!  

We ended the day 14th overall, maybe could have had 11th or 12th if not for a pit lane speeding violation....doh!

Congrats to our Pit Stall mates Gorrilla Sticker on a top 10 overall and EC class win! 

We are thrilled to finish all 16hrs for the weekend and avoid any on track incidents in our very first race. Thats a win for us! See you all in April!

20181019_132353.jpg

Edited by Shane G.
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Shane G. said:

ÌTeam DIRTE-30 made their Champcar debut at Road America (1988 BMW 325is). This was our first race as car owners (rented seats at Brainard and watched Ginger Man).

What a blast actually building the car and getting it ready our first race. Let's just say replacing rear subframe bushings is not my favorite job...

We showed up early Friday morning, got the car through Tech and got a few dry pracrice laps before lunch.  We kept getting a bad engine stumble (even with a full tank) coming out of the bend.  Once the Heavy Rain came we parked it until the afternoon, tried replacing the fuel filter and moving the surge pot none of which seem to help.  Toward the end of the practice session the track dried out and the rest of the drivers were able to get some dry lap practice, this was very helpful to our team as none of us had driven the track before. It takes a while to get used to these downhill braking zones and know how deep you can drive it in. 

The go-karting was an absolute blast and I absolutely looked forward to it. I managed to qualify in the top 10 and secure a spot in the feature. I absolutely loved the twist in the driver's meeting about sending the last five finishers in the kart feature to the tail of the Champ field on Saturday.  I started the race in sixth or seventh and quickly worked up to 2nd, the leader (track employee)and I were quickly distancing from the pack. I thought to myself as long as I don't shoot myself in the foot things will be alright when all of a sudden a "pop", there went the RF tire! I managed to continue to muscle the wounded kart around for the next five laps, desperately trying to finish in the top 10 to avoid going to the tail of the field. When the checkered flag finally waved I finished ninth....wheeeew!!

We started the Saturday in ninth, was running strong until the rain/snow came. Our 245 RS4's were not the tire of choice for those conditions.  We managed to ease the car around the track in 4th and 5th gear and keep it moving amongst the carnage everywhere.  We also were able to run 2hr stints on fuel (only 3 stops). We finished the day 21st.

Sunday we started 10 or 11th again and managed to stay there for most the stint, our car was running sub 3:00 for the first time.  After doing the math from Saturday we knew the car would not make it two hours on fuel. We knew we were going to need probably four or five pit stops for the day. The car was running very well except for the  stumble coming out of the bend, but it was manageable.  The car was awesome in the corners and braked really well, was definitely slower on the straights.  This made for some really fun battles on track. I really had fun racing against Brittish American Racing  E30 around 1130-1pm and the Orange and Blue Mercedes, we mixed it up andtraded spots several times. Good clean racing! Nice job guys!  

We ended the day 14th overall, maybe could have had 11th or 12th if not for a pit lane speeding violation....doh!

Congrats to our Pit Stall mates Gorrilla Sticker on a top 10 overall and EC class win! 

We are thrilled to finish all 16hrs for the weekend and avoid any on track incidents in our very first race. Thats a win for us! See you all in April!

Had fun battling with you guys for almost the entire final Saturday stint. White Integra #91 Tuna No Crust.  Thanks for all those drafts down the straight aways!

First race with the new Maserati since redesigning it to resemble turn 9A Armco at Watkins Glen.  Really struggled with an aftermarket ECU (Tech3r) that had reportedly run that engine sometime before I bought the car -- a myth as it turned out.  The Maserati 90 degree sequential fire V6 is not like domestic V6s, and the odd crank angles were never supported by Tech3r folks.  We didn't discover that until the Sunday before the race -- when we decided to rip out the entire harness, wire in a new harness, and put the stock ECU in from the original red BiTurbo.  We got it fired just a few hours before loading the trailer on Wednesday evening late.

So, we got to the track with a car that had not been run at all (except for the 50 ft to the tech shed), no alignment, and a fresh engine that had no lambda inputs into the stock ECU.  We figured that since we took most of the chassis components, gas tank, wheels, tires and brakes directly from the red 87, and the car was the same except for the fresh engine and turbos and the addition of a rear sway bar (came with the new car when I bought it), what could go wrong............

Friday morning I grabbed the first stint.  One thing we noticed with the new car and turbos was the immediate boost from fresh, intercooled turbos in a car that was about 250 lbs lighter.........although boost seemed to be inconsistent.  We got some good testing in, limited, but at least we knew it would run.  Overheating issues turned out to be a aulty thermostat and got that worked out quickly.

Saturday morning I also got the first stint, and with the boost at nearly 12psi, even though we started near the rear (luck of the draw), the boost was harsh and immediate, and a blast.  That was great -- until it started raining and snowing.  The combination of the RS4s, light, short wheelbase car, and immediate boost made it nearly impossible to drive, although I was able to keep it on the track somehow.  I was getting wheel spin in fourth gear with the tiniest input from the throttle.  Lenny, our resident Maserati hot show and expert had the second stint and we ran into a few really stupid issues -- including loss of rear brakes (broken rear line probably from multiple agricultural excursions) which created an interesting situation that complicated the driving even more -- so we parked it while trying to find a suitable brake line for a Maserati.  We did manage to cobble things up to everyone's satisfaction and safety inspections, and got back out in the last stint on Saturday after the rain stopped.  We really were just trying to sort the car out at this point.

Sunday, poised to take advantage of the reverse starting order that would start us up front, the stupid problems found us again.  After no issues with brake lights whatsoever, we found that they would not turn off as we were getting ready to exit the pits -- so we fixed them and headed out 3 laps down.  The car ran great, though, and by the time we had gotten about 3-1/2 hours into the race, we had turned some 2:53s and had moved from 60th position overall, to 9th overall, and first in D class.  The car, while still quite tail happy and an interesting handful going into places like turn 5 under heavy braking, was a blast to drive and had the power that we have slowly watched diminish over the past few years in the red Maserati.

Then we ran out of fuel -- and had to get towed in......and the little problems started.  Nothing horrible -- just dumb things like an alternator belt (and then another alternator belt after rushing to put the first one on and not properly tightening it).  That dropped us back and in the final stint (me again), I just went for a leisurely Sunday drive turning about 3:00 or so, because we couldn't get caught for place or take the next higher place and it became a HPDE to learn how different this car handles than the last one.

All in all, this was a great success for the new car and Dead Pedal Racing.  We came back with a new Maserati that once sorted should be more competitive than before -- all drivers figured we should be able to get in the 2:45 range with some chassis tuning, a good ECU (working that now), and practice.  As always, Crash Management and Allen Becker were great pit mates, garage mates and I owe them a bunch for helping make the new car possible.  They are all a class act.

By the way -- Allen Becker went into the hospital right after returning home to North Carolina -- really got sick and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  Just got out today.  Please sent him some get well messages -- he certainly is a great guy (the whole family is great, but he is what ChampCar is all about), and he can really pedal a racecar.  And that Stratus is not to be ignored.........

Thanks to everyone at RA -- another great race -- but lets try to make the weather a little less obnoxious next year....... 

Get better, Allen Becker...........and thanks for everything again.  Your ride is waiting at Laguna Seca and the seat is yours if you want it

New Mas 1.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dipperk120 said:

First race with the new Maserati since redesigning it to resemble turn 9A Armco at Watkins Glen.  Really struggled with an aftermarket ECU (Tech3r) that had reportedly run that engine sometime before I bought the car -- a myth as it turned out.  The Maserati 90 degree sequential fire V6 is not like domestic V6s, and the odd crank angles were never supported by Tech3r folks.  We didn't discover that until the Sunday before the race -- when we decided to rip out the entire harness, wire in a new harness, and put the stock ECU in from the original red BiTurbo.  We got it fired just a few hours before loading the trailer on Wednesday evening late.

So, we got to the track with a car that had not been run at all (except for the 50 ft to the tech shed), no alignment, and a fresh engine that had no lambda inputs into the stock ECU.  We figured that since we took most of the chassis components, gas tank, wheels, tires and brakes directly from the red 87, and the car was the same except for the fresh engine and turbos and the addition of a rear sway bar (came with the new car when I bought it), what could go wrong............

Friday morning I grabbed the first stint.  One thing we noticed with the new car and turbos was the immediate boost from fresh, intercooled turbos in a car that was about 250 lbs lighter.........although boost seemed to be inconsistent.  We got some good testing in, limited, but at least we knew it would run.  Overheating issues turned out to be a aulty thermostat and got that worked out quickly.

Saturday morning I also got the first stint, and with the boost at nearly 12psi, even though we started near the rear (luck of the draw), the boost was harsh and immediate, and a blast.  That was great -- until it started raining and snowing.  The combination of the RS4s, light, short wheelbase car, and immediate boost made it nearly impossible to drive, although I was able to keep it on the track somehow.  I was getting wheel spin in fourth gear with the tiniest input from the throttle.  Lenny, our resident Maserati hot show and expert had the second stint and we ran into a few really stupid issues -- including loss of rear brakes (broken rear line probably from multiple agricultural excursions) which created an interesting situation that complicated the driving even more -- so we parked it while trying to find a suitable brake line for a Maserati.  We did manage to cobble things up to everyone's satisfaction and safety inspections, and got back out in the last stint on Saturday after the rain stopped.  We really were just trying to sort the car out at this point.

Sunday, poised to take advantage of the reverse starting order that would start us up front, the stupid problems found us again.  After no issues with brake lights whatsoever, we found that they would not turn off as we were getting ready to exit the pits -- so we fixed them and headed out 3 laps down.  The car ran great, though, and by the time we had gotten about 3-1/2 hours into the race, we had turned some 2:53s and had moved from 60th position overall, to 9th overall, and first in D class.  The car, while still quite tail happy and an interesting handful going into places like turn 5 under heavy braking, was a blast to drive and had the power that we have slowly watched diminish over the past few years in the red Maserati.

Then we ran out of fuel -- and had to get towed in......and the little problems started.  Nothing horrible -- just dumb things like an alternator belt (and then another alternator belt after rushing to put the first one on and not properly tightening it).  That dropped us back and in the final stint (me again), I just went for a leisurely Sunday drive turning about 3:00 or so, because we couldn't get caught for place or take the next higher place and it became a HPDE to learn how different this car handles than the last one.

All in all, this was a great success for the new car and Dead Pedal Racing.  We came back with a new Maserati that once sorted should be more competitive than before -- all drivers figured we should be able to get in the 2:45 range with some chassis tuning, a good ECU (working that now), and practice.  As always, Crash Management and Allen Becker were great pit mates, garage mates and I owe them a bunch for helping make the new car possible.  They are all a class act.

By the way -- Allen Becker went into the hospital right after returning home to North Carolina -- really got sick and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  Just got out today.  Please sent him some get well messages -- he certainly is a great guy (the whole family is great, but he is what ChampCar is all about), and he can really pedal a racecar.  And that Stratus is not to be ignored.........

Thanks to everyone at RA -- another great race -- but lets try to make the weather a little less obnoxious next year....... 

Get better, Allen Becker...........and thanks for everything again.  Your ride is waiting at Laguna Seca and the seat is yours if you want it

New Mas 1.jpg

You almost managed to take the lead car out of the race Saturday.