E. Tyler Pedersen

2018 Official The Frozen Rotors Grand Prix at Road America

12 minutes ago, gavro said:

Were any photographers out there taking pics?  Haven't seen anything on here or FB.

wb_snow_low_visibility_on_highway.jpg?it

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@Doc said during the live broadcast that this would be analyzed on the forums... but it hasn't... so I'm posting it (1:09:20)

Edited by enginerd

Can't decide which driver is more at fault, the neon driver who didn't exit stage left, or right, or the one-handed driver on the video out for a sunday afternoon stroll around the track?

Edited by Racer7x
  • Like 1

Yellow flag is clearly out, there is plenty of room to avoid that car at 70% race speed, definitely not driving with enough CAUTION.

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, enginerd said:

@Doc said during the live broadcast that this would be analyzed on the forums... but it hasn't... so I'm posting it (1:09:20)

Thanks for posting. I got too busy prepping for AMP and forgot all about this. Certainly the Neon should have been off track with a car this slow. That's just an accident waiting to happen. I do believe the Firebird could have had his eyes up the track more, but a lot is happening around him as well.

Without dragging anyone through dirt that had a crappy day.  There seem to be some lessons to learn from this bit of video. 

1) if your car is almost dead and you're near the edge of the track, go ahead and get off the racing surface.

2) if you see a yellow flag directly before a blind corner, pay attention and slow down until you see a clear path 

2.5)  Watch the corner stations.   I feel like there's a good chance this fellow didn't see the flag, wasn't looking for it.  

Lessons for all of us,  make this a positive and not just pointing out how bad this or that move was.

Edited by JDChristianson
  • Like 2

Two hands on the dang wheel!!!  Seems the camera car was a bit too relaxed, especially for that corner, uphill and blind, need to be ready, could have taken the grass too, there is quite a bit of it there.  That said, the neon needed to get off the racing line there and out close to the wall track right.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

Two hands on the dang wheel!!!  Seems the camera car was a bit too relaxed, especially for that corner, uphill and blind, need to be ready, could have taken the grass too, there is quite a bit of it there.  That said, the neon needed to get off the racing line there and out close to the wall track right.

I don't think having 1 hand on the wheel had anything to do with the result. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, red0 said:

Play the video starting at at 1:07:40

24 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

Driving with one hand still has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of drivers with only 1 hand or arm that have no issues. Don't blame this drivers poor judgement on him driving with one hand. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

Yellow flag is clearly out, there is plenty of room to avoid that car at 70% race speed, definitely not driving with enough CAUTION.

Standing Yellow in turn 3. I am not saying there should have been a waving flag and I can't blame the corner worker because he couldn't see that the track was blocked, but a waving flag may have helped a little.

"STANDING YELLOW – You are approaching an incident where your and other’s safety are at risk. The racing surface may be clear but there is immediate danger to you or others if you left the racing surface.

WAVED YELLOW – You are approaching an incident that has great danger to you and others. The racing surface may be partially or completely blocked. Slow significantly and be prepared to stop. All efforts should be made to proceed through a Waving Yellow Flag in single file order."

Edited by morganf

59 minutes ago, red0 said:

Reaction time is my thing, each their own though. 

28 minutes ago, red0 said:

Driving with one hand still has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of drivers with only 1 hand or arm that have no issues. Don't blame this drivers poor judgement on him driving with one hand. 

I think what your getting at, is that the driver appeared to not be paying a lot of attention weather its one hand or two.  

34 minutes ago, morganf said:

Standing Yellow in turn 3. I am not saying there should have been a waving flag and I can't blame the corner worker because he couldn't see that the track was blocked, but a waving flag may have helped a little.

"STANDING YELLOW – You are approaching an incident where your and other’s safety are at risk. The racing surface may be clear but there is immediate danger to you or others if you left the racing surface.

WAVED YELLOW – You are approaching an incident that has great danger to you and others. The racing surface may be partially or completely blocked. Slow significantly and be prepared to stop. All efforts should be made to proceed through a Waving Yellow Flag in single file order."

Not to argue, but most of us call that turn 6 and I too would consider that to be a waving yellow situation, but it's entirely plausible that the car hadn't yet stopped when the flag was brought out, human reaction time, etc. If there were no flag this would be a different story, but the corner workers at Road America are top notch I'm not going to second guess which degree of yellow was shown to the car as it passed during a developing situation. Regardless, the camera car did have some warning that there was an incident ahead despite his lack of a direct line of sight. 

26 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

Not to argue, but most of us call that turn 6 and I too would consider that to be a waving yellow situation, but it's entirely plausible that the car hadn't yet stopped when the flag was brought out, human reaction time, etc. If there were no flag this would be a different story, but the corner workers at Road America are top notch I'm not going to second guess which degree of yellow was shown to the car as it passed during a developing situation. Regardless, the camera car did have some warning that there was an incident ahead despite his lack of a direct line of sight. 

Looks to me like the camera car had a moment of his own as he went through the corner. He went off the outside of the corner and was trying to get it back on track and only saw the stalled car at the last moment, leaving himself a fraction of a second to respond by starting to turn the wheel to the right. You can see when he goes off the track when the camera and the car start shaking. He's just about to get back on track when he sees the Neon and hits it.

If he had seen it earlier, it would only have required a slight relaxing of the wheel to allow him to go around on the grass. Seeing it earlier would have required him to be looking around the corner and not at the nose of his car as he tried to get back on track. More a case of the wrong thing at the wrong time than driver inattention.

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Racer7x said:

You can see at that point he was driving the car back to the pits after the incident; way off-pace and the left front corner of the hood crumpled. 

Edited by mender

I'm sorry, but there was SOOO much time to do something there, and all of his actions showed me an unprepared or inexperienced driver.    And his action of just driving into the situation was exactly the wrong thing to do.   I agree with Mender that the correct thing to do would have been to continue off the rumbles and into the grass.  Straight line, no spin involved if a straight line and no issues.   One must learn to lift their eyes to the exit in a corner and not concentrate on the 5 feet in front of the car.   Hopefully a learning situation for new drivers and sorry that it happened to that car....

If you look carefully, you can see the car two cars in front do this exact thing!  Around the outside on the grass...

Edited by Zauskycop
  • Like 2

I feel really sorry for the guy that was driving.  And for the car that got hit.  Both made mistakes that maybe won’t be repeated because we have all viewed the video.  

To the trailing car - here is the way I think about it when I am in the car.  You and your car are always fighting when you are in a turn.  You are trying to make it turn and physics makes it want to go straight.  Whenever you encounter an unexpected object in front of you, let physics win (unless that takes you straight to a wall).  Trying to turn tighter to miss the car is a low probability deal.  Opening up the wheel, as has been suggested by Mender and others, IS A SURE THING.  Asking a car to turn less is something that it is ALWAYS willing to do.  Physics is 100% reliable.  So if there is runoff, open up the wheel. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 3

Shout out to the "Dirt Guys" big 5-series V8 BMW. I'm watching the live feed broadcast now, and whoever was in that car for the 3rd stint, right in the worst of the weather, was flying! He was consistently putting in lap times among the 5 fastest cars on track, and moved from 14th to 5th between hours 4 and 6. Here's an appearance as he cruises past Ludicrous Speed and runs out of sight:

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Shout out to the "Dirt Guys" big 5-series V8 BMW. I'm watching the live feed broadcast now, and whoever was in that car for the 3rd stint, right in the worst of the weather, was flying! He was consistently putting in lap times among the 5 fastest cars on track, and moved from 14th to 5th between hours 4 and 6. Here's an appearance as he cruises past Ludicrous Speed and runs out of sight:

Those guys were a pleasure to race against (I drove the 1st and 4th stints both days).  They were aggressive when it made sense, but always in a safe and predictable way.  In total, I probably ran 30 minutes either directly in front of them or directly behind them - one of my favorite cars to encounter on the track.

• Like 1

Watch my mirror in this one.  The Cone Crushers car had been taking some odd lines before I passed him.  You can see a Miata go past him and then get tagged (and almost spun).  The Cone Car had at least a full car width to his left - I have no idea why he felt the need to try to wreck the Miata (which was easily in view when he hit him).  I talked to the Miata driver after the stint and he was PISSED.  After seeing the video, I don't blame him.  It was a heck of a save he made to keep it mostly on the track.