Racer28173

Charlotte Championship?? (NOT an official event thread)

22 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Looks like you might want a big right front tire too.  

285 should work

• Haha 1

I will say the one thing about a superspeedway like Charlotte is coming off turn 4 and thinking if that right front blows, it's gonna hurt!  Bu I don't think that's happened in our series yet to my knowledge.

47 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Looks like you might want a big right front tire too.  

And negative / neutral camber on the left front.

We corded the inside edge of our inside front tire at Brainerd because of its two banked turns (I think). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jer said:

I hear you, Rodger.  However, we have run the Charlotte roval with no chicane before.  It went fine, in fact there were no crashes that I recall, but with the chicane there were A LOT of crashes.  Why?  Because people can manage to not run into each other with 4 lanes to use, but the chicane is a one lane deal and people get squeezed.  and barriers, if present, get hit.  

I think running with no chicane will be fine. 

Let's hope you are right.

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

You guys sound like a bunch of [insert series] sissies! We have run that course a few times and nothing but big balls come out the other side. My car, known for granading parts did quite well here at Charlotte winning a few trophies. 
So if the BMW/Lexus crowd is afraid of a little bit of throttle usage, I can recommend Thompson Speedway, maybe Gingerman. There is always VIR south that is low speed.

Yep, count me in the group of scared sissies.  This ain't my first rodeo, I have run turn 12 at Road Atlanta a thousand times, and done it flat out.  I have run turn 17 at Sebring a lot less than that but enough to know it is a big balls turn when you look at that wall coming at you.   Etc, etc.  The difference between all of those and coming into Charlotte turn 3 wide open is the opportunity to have a really, really bad day if something bad happens.  The fact you ran the coarse in the past with no issue is a good thing, and I hope after this race next year everybody can say the same thing because the alternative is bad news.  But, I'll probably be there stupidly diving into that turn wide open like everybody else because that's just what I do.

4 hours ago, lewisracing said:

I'm forecasting pre-event diff swaps and no shortage of blown engines if we are going to run 9/10ths of a "roval" with our throttles pegged for 1.49 miles per lap.

The donnybrooke course at Brainerd has a longer full throttle section than the oval portion of CMS.

Edited by ABR-Glen

49 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Let's hope you are right.

Yep, count me in the group of scared sissies.  This ain't my first rodeo, I have run turn 12 at Road Atlanta a thousand times, and done it flat out.  I have run turn 17 at Sebring a lot less than that but enough to know it is a big balls turn when you look at that wall coming at you.   Etc, etc.  The difference between all of those and coming into Charlotte turn 3 wide open is the opportunity to have a really, really bad day if something bad happens.  The fact you ran the coarse in the past with no issue is a good thing, and I hope after this race next year everybody can say the same thing because the alternative is bad news.  But, I'll probably be there stupidly diving into that turn wide open like everybody else because that's just what I do.

The nice thing is its very, very east to lift or breathe going into 3 and then build your confidence to go through faster.  It's very easy to "get used to it" because it's easy to take a little off.  

• Like 1

Just now, Jer said:

The nice thing is its very, very east to lift or breathe going into 3 and then build your confidence to go through faster.  It's very easy to "get used to it" because it's easy to take a little off.  

Fat chance of that happening after somebody passes me going in. Just go sssshhhhhhiiiiiiiiittttttt every time I dive in there like I did last year. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Burningham said:

I have driven both, turn 3 at Charlotte is a different animal than turn 3 Daytona simply due to banking. Bad idea to not run a chicane before there. The chance to get somebody seriously injured at turn 3 is heightened running the course laid out currently. 

Daytona has more banking.  I've run this layout at Charlotte and Daytona in Vipers, i'll happly do it in my slow ass Cobra.

Those BMWs with 4.10 gear swaps might be having issues :)

Oh your all such manly men with balls coming out your ears and such.    Oh green font by the way.   Real men cover the windshield with wonder bread sticker when drivin then that high banks of nascar.  And they don’t have no silly flashy lights, and they have murican steel hoods 

ūüėú

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Jer said:

The only useful thing that @Bill Strong ever said. ‚ÄúIn the east, if you lift, you lose‚ÄĚ

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

And they don’t have no silly flashy lights, and they have murican steel hoods 

ūüėú

"Composite" hoods are so hot right now.

• Haha 1

I lost an axle in the sprints into NASCAR 4. it was like I hit oil. It was a fun ride. 

Some of you guys from good manly football states seem to be worried about nothing. Seriously, though. NASCAR3 at WOT is the most fun I have ever had in a race car. It took a lot of track time to work up to it. But once you trust the aero and the power, its awesome. Daytona you can drive with your eyes closed and probably not hit anything. Charlotte requires skill and balls o steel. That's why we race. When it is done right this track is a hoot.

Millennials might want to stay home and watch it on the ChampCar.live. We want you in your safe zone. 

:)

Such a fun place...

• Like 3

So, for a question that doesn’t involve anyone’s super hairy genitalia, does anyone do anything wonky in terms of set up when running this much of a high speed oval?   Seems like @Black Magic might be good guy to have on your team for this sort of race.   Well any race for that matter  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

So, for a question that doesn’t involve anyone’s super hairy genitalia, does anyone do anything wonky in terms of set up when running this much of a high speed oval?   Seems like @Black Magic might be good guy to have on your team for this sort of race.   Well any race for that matter  

If you can't go nearly flat in 3/4, then you need to look at asymmetric setups. 

The "big speed" adder corners are all lefts.....

We didn't change our setup ever for racing there.  Everything was fine.  

I wouldn't think there are many, if any, cars in Champ that can challenge the load rating of a 180TW tire at this track. We are far lighter than stock cars. Far slower than the fast stock cars. And don't have much DF (compared to some stock cars). 

S. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Snorman said:

I wouldn't think there are many, if any, cars in Champ that can challenge the load rating of a 180TW tire at this track. We are far lighter than stock cars. Far slower than the fast stock cars. And don't have much DF (compared to some stock cars). 

S. 

We blew 4 tires there a few years ago when we were campaigning the big, heavy & fast Audi V8.  Fortunately, none of the tires actually blew in NASCAR 3 & 4.  The load rating on the tires were too low for the force and heat on the big oval. 

The dates and days do not match that weekend.  I want to make sure we are racing on Saturday, April 27th, not the 28th as listed in the supps.    

Edited by farran05

I'm surprised no one even experimented with diff air pressure side to side.  Me thinks all the secrets are not coming out.  Hey we all help each other out....sorta....   :)   We aren't going  so our set up will be perfect.  

5 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Torn between this race or Daytona.

Do a road course.  Do Barber,    or venture to Kentucky and do NCM   or do them all.  That's it do them all.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1