Bill Strong

2019 Official Indianapolis Motor Speedway Double 10-Hour Enduro

So just tell people we are running the ChampCar configuration....  settles that...

• Like 1

So your saying this isnt going to be gingerman? Where we show up the night before and ask to do a track walk, the safety truck advises its about 3 beers each to walk 1 lap around the track.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2019 at 10:29 AM, Bill Strong said:

Does this make sense?
"No Go Zone" equals getting a black flag.

image removed to stop confusion - wds

Thanks Bill, makes sense to me. We were walking the back straight aka: Hulman Blvd. during the 500 weekend and noted how wide it is, and we weren't sure what the racing line would be.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:29 AM, Bill Strong said:

Does this make sense?
"No Go Zone" equals getting a black flag.
image redacted so there is no confusion- wds

No, it is going to cause a lot of problems.  Watch this video.  This is my opening lap from the 2017 Runoffs at Indy.  You have to use a lot of track at the exit of turn 7, if you go through there 2-wide.  Now, imagine 100 cars on track.

On this lap, I ran through 7 with @John Weisberg (in the MX-5).  I used that "no-go zone" for most of that straight.  If you take that area away, you kill the flow of turn 7.

You'll just have to drive it and see.  You use all of the exit at turn 7.  If you make that a no-go zone, it will make this track awful to drive.

Go on Youtube and watch some videos from the Indy Runoffs.  Watch Spec Miata, as those cars handle similarly to a lot of our Champcars.  Watch how they go through turn 7.

43 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

No, it is going to cause a lot of problems.  Watch this video.  This is my opening lap from the 2017 Runoffs at Indy.  You have to use a lot of track at the exit of turn 7, if you go through there 2-wide.  Now, imagine 100 cars on track.

On this lap, I ran through 7 with @John Weisberg (in the MX-5).  I used that "no-go zone" for most of that straight.  If you take that area away, you kill the flow of turn 7.

You'll just have to drive it and see.  You use all of the exit at turn 7.  If you make that a no-go zone, it will make this track awful to drive.

Go on Youtube and watch some videos from the Indy Runoffs.  Watch Spec Miata, as those cars handle similarly to a lot of our Champcars.  Watch how they go through turn 7.

So change your line. 

Whats the big deal?

1 hour ago, Gkuhn41 said:

So your saying this isnt going to be gingerman? Where we show up the night before and ask to do a track walk, the safety truck advises its about 3 beers each to walk 1 lap around the track.

Indy is going to be an amazing experience, but it's pretty hard not to love Gingerman. 

• Like 1

I'm curious if the "no go zone" means two wheels over the line = black or 4 over the line.  it's not clear

at the glen the EC mini passed me into the bus stop 4 off on the grass on the inside, I didn't even know that much grass was there.

Edited by theblue

3 minutes ago, enginerd said:

So change your line. 

Whats the big deal?

Fair enough.  I'll play by whatever rules are laid out, but I have a feeling that you're going to agree with me, about 2 laps into your first stint.

What happens if you go through there 2-wide and the guy on the inside forces you into the no-go zone and doesn't let you back in?  Who gets the black flag?

I disagree with putting track limits like this.  The area is paved.  It isn't dangerous.  It adds to the ability to have side-by-side racing.  It puts less wear on the tires.  Why limit that area?  I'm not sure of the purpose for putting that limit.

Watch this.  It is the Spec Miata race.  Watch the exit of turn 7.  That is the natural flow of the corner.

• Like 2

I agree with @Round3Racing on this one,  I'll do what I am told but I'd like a reason other than do what your told.  Its paved, it has more grip than grass, why can't we use it?  

• Like 4

As a note, the darker part of Hulman Drive is intended for the course layout that uses the 5-6 chicane.  They put blue and white exit curbing along that pavement divide.  It makes sense for that layout.  For the layout with the T6 carousel, you use the extra T7 exit pavement.

I'd strongly suggest that ChampCar officials take a trip to Indy and negotiate an opportunity to drive the track and test the different layouts.  Experience turn 1, turn 7, and turn 12.  Try it out and see how it flows.  SCCA spent a weekend at Indy, trying out the different layouts with racers, before they made a decision.

• Like 1

Our layout looks more fun to me. 

We have an extra 100’ of straight, and turn 1 will be much faster than the SCCA turn 1.

And 12 / 13 looks really tight and technical. 

Big news...

The track layout may change. It is being discussed by all of the event directors. They are reviewing T1. 

More info will follow in the coming days.

As for the No-Go Zone, the track peeps were the one that suggested it remain a no-go zone.

But as always, this stuff is subject to change up until the green flag. :)

• Like 2

Leave turn 1, 12, 13 as it is please.  It's fun that its different.  I'm with Brad about the no go zone being the natural line though.

I think they are looking at T1 because of pitout. 
But I am not part of that conversation.

• Like 1

After watching Round3's video, I'd suggest making it a no-go zone just before the bridge.

• Like 1

I dont understand the no-go zone thought process.  Can someone explain to me why that would even be a consideration?  Its part of the track, it doesnt look dangerous, why put up artificial barriers?

Sort of like 5 years ago some genius at VIR decided to put up tire bundles at track out of 3 and 17, which ended up destroying multiple cars that alternatively would have made a safe(ish) spin off into the grassy field.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

disregard all of the above. things are a changing... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Huggy said:

I dont understand the no-go zone thought process.  Can someone explain to me why that would even be a consideration?  Its part of the track, it doesnt look dangerous, why put up artificial barriers?

Sort of like 5 years ago some genius at VIR decided to put up tire bundles at track out of 3 and 17, which ended up destroying multiple cars that alternatively would have made a safe(ish) spin off into the grassy field.

Or the cone chicane at Charlotte that turned into a straight line after cars ate the cones

4 hours ago, Huggy said:

In this case, I think that it is just some confusion caused by the different track surface colors.  If that pavement was all the same color and there wasn't a white line down the middle, it wouldn't even be a consideration to make a no-go zone.  Turn 7 has a nice flow and a wide exit.  When IndyCar, PCA, SVRA, and others use the 5-6 chicane, they install an exit curb and keep the track limits to the dark paved surface.  It will make sense to everyone, when you drive it.

From the desk of ChampCar Event Director Mike Chisek

"As our first Indianapolis Motor Speedway event approaches, ChampCar has been in close contact with Indy management though a series of conference calls.  Many of the finer details get worked out after each call to help make this large event go smoothly.  Recently the subject of our course configuration came up and I sought the input of Indy officials.  While we, of our own accord, initially intended to run the Moto GP course in a clockwise configuration (Moto GP runs this course counter-clockwise), Indy strongly reccomended that we run the Indy GP course instead.  While they by no means mandated the configuration we use next month, I have great respect for their experience and wisdom in this subject.  As a result of their input, I have edited the course configuration we will use for our Double 10 event to mimic the T1 and T13 that Indy GP uses.  I apologize to any who are disappointed in the change, but it is our intention to provide a safe event for all in attendance and ChampCar management is in agreement with this suggestion by Indianapolis officials."

Before the bridge, Back Straight - If you touch the grass, you get black flagged.
After the bridge, we will have cones to push cars drivers right (just like in the SCCA Run-Off video that R3R posted). If you get in the red zone, you will be black flagged.

Map-RoadCourse-2019-Final.jpg

• Like 9

There goes months of practice down the drain.  1 and 13 were the two most interesting parts of the course on sim.  It'll still be cool to race there, but I doubt it'll make the lists of people's top three tracks when its all done now that the best corners have been taken out.

4 minutes ago, macheesy said:

There goes months of practice down the drain.  1 and 13 were the two most interesting parts of the course on sim.  It'll still be cool to race there, but I doubt it'll make the lists of people's top three tracks when its all done now that the best corners have been taken out.

Unless you've only been to 3 tracks or only been to really bad tracks, Indy is not making anyone's top 3 tracks...no matter which layout they run.  Indy is about nostalgia.  The first time that you round that final corner with your foot buried on the throttle and you come up on the front straight, it is worth every penny that it cost to race there.

I'll agree that for an experienced racer, in a sprint race, with little concern about cars exiting pt lane, that long turn 1 looked pretty fun.  But with 100 cars on track, inexperienced drivers, 400+ pit stops per day, and a concrete wall, that long turn 1 could have been a disaster.  I'd still like to try it once, though...in a car that is really good under trail braking.

• Like 3

Mr. Tony George, jr. had some input into what they thought would be the safest/optimal configuration. The Event Directs agreed. 

I suggested we just go out counterclockwise and keep making left hand turns at the big corners... but was asked... um... told to be quiet.

:)

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, FlorahDorah said:

This is going to be so fun.... once we get there. 

Are you coming this year with the rotary?  If so, or even if you don't bring the rotary, I would love to meet you!