Bill Strong

2019 Official Indianapolis Motor Speedway Double 10-Hour Enduro

5 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Wow, I better step up my cool suit game!

All this cooler improvement hopefully is about to be obsolete.  We are going to test a refrigerant unit a friend is developing that weighs about 9.5 lbs and at high load pulls about 13 amps.  If it all proves out that's the direction we will go.  Drop by to check it out, it's still in beta phase development but should come around pretty quickly if it all works fine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely cannot be any hotter than it was for the July Charlotte race the year they did sprint races - that literally felt like you were stuck in a big tin foil bowl all day...

Plus Sebring in Sept - been extraordinarily hot a few of those years. 

1 minute ago, Burningham said:

All this cooler improvement hopefully is about to be obsolete.  We are going to test a refrigerant unit a friend is developing that weighs about 9.5 lbs and at high load pulls about 13 amps.  If it all proves out that's the direction we will go.  Drop by to check it out, it's still in beta phase development but should come around pretty quickly if it all works fine.

Definitely will try to remember to check that out. Been talking to a couple of friends about the same, but we will never get it done so hopefully someone comes up with something other than the $5k Nascar units.

3 minutes ago, Burningham said:

That sounds nice, I know Rains was talking about it the other day.  After I heard about how much power the other unit pulls...on top of the price...it was a hard no for me.

7 minutes ago, Burningham said:

James' setup?  I have been talking to him about it and would really like to hear your comments on it.  I'll try to come by and check it out.  We have a ChillOut system in one of our cars and we're very anxious to see how it works.

@Jab31169Agreed on the amperage draw.  We're concerned about it.  James' system looks very appealing, from that standpoint.

Edited by Round3Racing
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Quick question, how hard is IMS on brakes?

Doing calipers today, have to decide between slightly used pads, or 2 choices of new.

I'd bring the new. None of us have raced there before for longer than 20 min races the SCCA put on. 

2 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

We have a ChillOut system in one of our cars and we're very anxious to see how it works.

Please consider starting a dedicated thread over in the tech board after Indy, I would really like to hear about your experience with it. At $2200 it is by no means cheap, but the cost creep is heading the right direction for sure. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

That sounds nice, I know Rains was talking about it the other day.  After I heard about how much power the other unit pulls...on top of the price...it was a hard no for me.

Lots of unused alternator in some cars.

I think we have +100 amp unit

Where does one sign up as a test pig?

Edited by Team Infiniti

So our pit buddies in pit #13 are Acme racing (105) and Porsche defectors (930)

If anyone happens to have contacts with those guys, could you hit me up or have them hit me up with a PM please?

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

James' setup?  I have been talking to him about it and would really like to hear your comments on it.  I'll try to come by and check it out.  We have a ChillOut system in one of our cars and we're very anxious to see how it works.

@Jab31169Agreed on the amperage draw.  We're concerned about it.  James' system looks very appealing, from that standpoint.

No, this is a friend that has years in industrial refrigeration that has been working on a unit.  I'll try to find the link to the post he shared on facebook with the initial details.  We and another team are going to test his first units, so I'll keep you guys posted in a dedicated thread once we are at that point.

D5814A54-FE4E-421F-9228-CFA5F3276333.jpeg

Edited by Burningham
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are a bunch of teams already using the ChillOut systems.

Last phone call with Indy complete.

Question - These babies keep asking if they can take their motorized uni-cycles in... is that ok? 
Answer - No. Absolutely no motorized, electric, gas, diesel, Anti-Matter, water, or Koolaid powered anything allowed on the grounds except for the race car and you personal cars.

Hot toes...
If you are being towed off the track to pit lane, the tow truck will take you directly off the track and deliver you to either pitlane or your garage/paddock. Let them know what you want to do. Their goal is to get your broken down hotrod off the track and get back to green flag racing as soon as they can. Local yellows will be used. 

Garages...
They are bay type garages like at Charlotte, Daytona, Auto Club, Watkins Glen.
So they are open inside with single doors on the outside.

Doc and I will be touring the garages on friday for a live garage walk. come say hi, and let us know how you are going to win this race.

Don't forget the yard 'o bricks picture time. Come suited up. two pics... standing as a team, then bent over kissing the bricks. Try to face the camera. we want no butt shots.

The ChampCar.Live show has a new sponsor. the announcement will be this week. It's huge. HUGE!

No stickers for you guys. Doc Waldrop does have to be swagged up as per the contract. 

Make certain to read the supps. EVERYONE that is attending. There is a lot of important info in there.

https://champcar.org/register/supplementalrules/376.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Bill, do you know how easy it will be to get access to the fuel trucks?  We won't have a pickup or open truck to haul a drum, so I am hoping I can pull the trailer close and fill directly with it in the trailer.  I tow with an RV so it makes it pretty tough to maneuver.  I can get help from a friend to haul with a truck, but it makes it an effort to get a drum out of the truck to my trailer.  Another option is to use a drum dolley which we can also borrow.  Do we know enough yet on this situation?

42 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Answer - No. Absolutely no motorized, electric, gas, diesel, Anti-Matter, water, or Koolaid powered anything allowed on the grounds except for the race car and you personal cars.

I guess everyone who has elderly people on their team that use electric mobility devices at the track should call them up and tell them to stay home.

• Like 1

Okay, I have a question or 2...  

Where is the party on Friday evening?

Well...  maybe just 1 question...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Cue Tyler

26 minutes ago, red0 said:

I guess everyone who has elderly people on their team that use electric mobility devices at the track should call them up and tell them to stay home.

Thats right,   they can just lay in the sun in agony....just not in a fire lane, thats a no pass out area for old people.    

They are not checking trailers for fuel tho, so you can smuggle all you want in.      Can't wait for the track to think..."wow theses cars are real effecient, nobody has bought any gas yet and they been racing like 15 hours....  :)

29 minutes ago, red0 said:

Yeah I told my 86 yr old dad to bring his walker don’t bring his electric scooter. He really wants to come so this is the only way i guess. 

13 minutes ago, theblue said:

you have all that but not a cart to pull a drum around on?

Ay, you talkin to me?

If so, no I do not.  I will have what I know I need to have.  So far in the other 62 races I have been in I haven't needed one, but like ole Matthew McConaughey said in We Are Marshall, first time for everything.

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

Question - These babies keep asking if they can take their motorized uni-cycles in... is that ok? 

this is the biggest bit of bull cookies i have heard in ages.

2 hours ago, Burningham said:

Yeah that is always good to have a spare, but I figured a spare cooler doesn't help the guy in the car.  Version A was two pumps with check valves and one set of hoses.  Just too much crap and didn't work well.  The way I have it only means hose swap which can be done on track without looking if you have to, maybe costs a couple seconds.  Plus I found a pump that works for $10 so not like it is a huge cost.  I actually went with a $60 pump that works better, but the $10 one works to and is a spare for the spare in my parts bin.

Fair.  I don't know there is a wrong way to do this,  just throwing out ideas.  If ours fails we have to do a two minute stop to switch it out.  Ours is easy to remove/install.  It only fails when the driver fails to tell us there is a problem until he is already overheated. 

2 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

There are a bunch of teams already using the ChillOut systems.

Blenders....are blenders allowed?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

1 hour ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Cue Tyler

I'm going to take it a little easy for Indy. Now if you all show up Thursday then that's a different story. 

Nicky Blaine's :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Blenders....are blenders allowed?

I assume that as long as that blender isn't powering any drive wheels, it should be just fine.

...and if it is powering drive wheels, bring it anyway.  I want to see that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1