Bill Strong

2019 Official Indianapolis Motor Speedway Double 10-Hour Enduro

Mobility Scooter are ok. But do not tow your fuel around with one.

I found some awesome beer!!!

Busch NA!!  In a freaking can!!!

I am now in indy.

And this from one of our racers...

Hey Bill.  Matt harper with the Brew Krewe team.  Just wanted to update you on the RV parking if you start getting a bunch of calls.  Joanett is handling the the RV Lot. 317-504-9768. The American legion is not doing the lot.    Thanks 

Also this is the link to the form they will need to fill out and email to them 

https://storage.googleapis.com/wzukusers/user-34482418/documents/5be07cc19a59eLC9YbEk/2019 CHAMPCAR ENDURANCE SERIES DOUBLE 10 ENDURO RESERVATION FORM REVISED 10-26-2018.pdf

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

I'm pretty sure that there are laws about not allowing mobility scooters for handicapped people.  I cannot imagine IMS telling an elderly person in a mobility scooter that they had to park it and walk.

11 minutes ago, notbob said:

https://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/at-the-track/ada-accessibility

While that pertains to the track in general and not necessarily our race, they are ada compliant...

Yea, Champcar said mobility scooters are OK but let's just say I want to avoid any imperial entanglements. It sounds like it is a touchy subject, and the people that would use these can walk.....they just use mobility scooters at the race track because there is miles of walking a day. 

I am going to refer all mobility scooter questions to my boss. He also told me what to put up. You guys can argue with him. 

3 minutes ago, red0 said:

they just use mobility scooters at the race track because there is miles of walking a day. 

The good news at IMS is that we're limited to the red box.  So, not much spectator walking.  Find a comfy seat and stay there.  There is (was) a small set of bleachers over by turn 14.  Not a bad place to watch.  If they stand on the top row, they can probably see over to the end of the back straight.

For the Runoffs, they had the big screens on and were showing the live broadcast of the races.  Since ChampCar already does the live broadcast, it theoretically would not be that tough for IMS to put the broadcast up on the screens.  There is one in turn 14, right by the pit entry road.  That would be a nice touch.

4 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

The good news at IMS is that we're limited to the red box.  So, not much spectator walking.  Find a comfy seat and stay there.  There is (was) a small set of bleachers over by turn 14.  Not a bad place to watch.  If they stand on the top row, they can probably see over to the end of the back straight.

For the Runoffs, they had the big screens on and were showing the live broadcast of the races.  Since ChampCar already does the live broadcast, it theoretically would not be that tough for IMS to put the broadcast up on the screens.  There is one in turn 14, right by the pit entry road.  That would be a nice touch.

At WGI (Didn't race there this year because race filled up before we could enter), our trailer is often parked 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile from our pit spot. At Gingerman our trailer is often parted 15 feet from our pit spot. 

What are the distance like at Indy? 

7 minutes ago, red0 said:

At WGI (Didn't race there this year because race filled up before we could enter), our trailer is often parked 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile from our pit spot. At Gingerman our trailer is often parted 15 feet from our pit spot. 

What are the distance like at Indy? 

Everything at Indy is a long way.......If your pitted towards pit exit it's a looonnnggg way. Even the walk across the garage area to where the trailers are parked it's a long way.

Just now, hotrod said:

Everything at Indy is a long way.......If your pitted towards pit exit it's a looonnnggg way. Even the walk across the garage area to where the trailers are parked it's a long way.

I forgot that I am borrowing a friends pickup to tow this weekend. I can use that to move our pit stuff around. That should help, and I will just tell the people with disabilities to sit this one out. 

Just now, hotrod said:

If IMS would do a few little things, I think that we could make this a lot less painful.

South of the Pagoda, there is a nice big access road between the GP garages and the pit lane.  If they would allow vehicle access in there, it would help everyone get the fuel a little closer. 

North of the Pagoda, you're pretty screwed, since the grandstands are so close to pit lane...UNLESS they let us drive to the parking lots that are behind the grandstands and then opened up some access gates to allow us to carry fuel jugs in.  You walk right under the grandstands and straight to pit lane.  It is just a fence that separates the grandstand from pit lane, but I don't remember if that fence has any gates in it.  If it does, they could open a few gates.  Simple.

If this really becomes a situation where teams are hiking up to a mile round-trip for fuel, we're going to see some disappointed faces.

If we have a car that is out of contention, we're driving it to the fuel pumps.

8 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

If IMS would do a few little things, I think that we could make this a lot less painful.

South of the Pagoda, there is a nice big access road between the GP garages and the pit lane.  If they would allow vehicle access in there, it would help everyone get the fuel a little closer. 

North of the Pagoda, you're pretty screwed, since the grandstands are so close to pit lane...UNLESS they let us drive to the parking lots that are behind the grandstands and then opened up some access gates to allow us to carry fuel jugs in.  You walk right under the grandstands and straight to pit lane.  It is just a fence that separates the grandstand from pit lane, but I don't remember if that fence has any gates in it.  If it does, they could open a few gates.  Simple.

If this really becomes a situation where teams are hiking up to a mile round-trip for fuel, we're going to see some disappointed faces.

If we have a car that is out of contention, we're driving it to the fuel pumps.

I pity the fools that are bringing 3 cars to this race and will need to schlep 50+ gallons of fuel every 2 hours!!!

Edited by enginerd

38 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I pity the fools that brought 3 cars to this race and will need to schlep 50+ gallons of fuel every 2 hours!!!

Grrrrrr.  Yes, this is a huge problem.  Plus, our fuel guy is in his late 60's.  Our pit stall is 1/3 mile from the fuel pumps.  4 jugs per trip (maybe), 3 trips every two hours.  4 pit stops, if we're lucky.  That is 12 trips to the pumps.  He's going to walk 8 miles each day!?!  No chance.  We're discussing alternatives now.

I hope that ChampCar can talk to IMS tomorrow and get them to compromise with a more sensible solution.

EDIT:  It looks like opening gates north of the Pagoda is a no-go.  It appears that IMS installed catch fencing on the back side of pit road.  Very doubtful that there is any access.

Edited by Round3Racing

17 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

Grrrrrr.  Yes, this is a huge problem.  Plus, our fuel guy is in his late 60's.  Our pit stall is 1/3 mile from the fuel pumps.  4 jugs per trip (maybe), 3 trips every two hours.  4 pit stops, if we're lucky.  That is 12 trips to the pumps.  He's going to walk 8 miles each day!?!  No chance.  We're discussing alternatives now.

I hope that ChampCar can talk to IMS tomorrow and get them to compromise with a more sensible solution.

Yeah, well luckily back in his day it was 8 miles EACH WAY (16 miles total) and both were up hill.😉

Seriously, the fuel guys will literally be making fuel trips ALL day long!

Edited by thewheelerZ
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

If Champcar relaxed the "no more than 25 gallons in the pit" requirement it would cut the number of trips many teams need to make in half. Nobody I know of takes 12.5 gallons a stop, but for us and I suspect many others 35 gallons is enough to cover 2 pit stops. 

What's safer, an extra 10 gallons sitting still in each pit or twice as many monkeys trying to hump 25 gallons of fuel around all day?

2 hours ago, Round3Racing said:

Someone in the Tuttle crew is going to be getting some serious exercise this weekend.  1/2 mile each way to the gas pumps.

IMS Walk.jpg

Lucky us being one spot behind them. I’m building a trailer for my fat bike tomorrow. Should help some.

While I am not racing, I am heading to Indy as a crew guy.  Sounds like I need to stop along the way to pick up some new Walk-Master 5000s!

0900631B81A9C491M

• Like 1

Trailer was loaded up yesterday afternoon in the cool 101*F late afternoon air.  Car appears to be ready, bolts checked, new rubber and brakes.  Loading up the coolers tomorrow and making a run for Indy in the morning.  See you guys there!  Might try and stop by NCM for a quick kart race if we have time.

IMG955756.thumb.jpg.6cc04c9258cc786af28330ec8da91b68.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jab31169 said:

Trailer was loaded up yesterday afternoon in the cool 101*F late afternoon air.  Car appears to be ready, bolts checked, new rubber and brakes.  Loading up the coolers tomorrow and making a run for Indy in the morning.  See you guys there!  Might try and stop by NCM for a quick kart race if we have time.

IMG955756.thumb.jpg.6cc04c9258cc786af28330ec8da91b68.jpg

Good looking Car!

Edited by Clueless Racing
Typo
  • Like 2

I'm sorry to announce that Team Hugh Jass have, as of today, pulled out of the Indy race. We have been up against the clock ever since WGI to try and fix a myriad of issues with our 2019 engine swap, but ran out of time with a still undiagnosed issue of fuel delivery under heavy load. The car is not in a position to race safely on track and so we have to make the painful decision to withdraw our entry. I hope another team on the waiting list can at least benefit from our misfortune and get a last-minute chance to race at this hallowed ground. 

We have benefited from a lot of good luck so far in our racing careers but 2019 is proving to be the year of karmic balancing so far. Thanks to all the CC members who have been kind enough to reach out and offer advice and assistance, we appreciate your time and effort, it just wasn't to be this weekend. We hope to be back at the VIR 24.

A few team members will still make the trip to Indy this weekend to support the series, and if anyone needs an extra set of hands then please let us know. 

• Sad 13

26 minutes ago, Rapido said:

I'm sorry to announce that Team Hugh Jass have, as of today, pulled out of the Indy race. We have been up against the clock ever since WGI to try and fix a myriad of issues with our 2019 engine swap, but ran out of time with a still undiagnosed issue of fuel delivery under heavy load. The car is not in a position to race safely on track and so we have to make the painful decision to withdraw our entry. I hope another team on the waiting list can at least benefit from our misfortune and get a last-minute chance to race at this hallowed ground. 

We have benefited from a lot of good luck so far in our racing careers but 2019 is proving to be the year of karmic balancing so far. Thanks to all the CC members who have been kind enough to reach out and offer advice and assistance, we appreciate your time and effort, it just wasn't to be this weekend. We hope to be back at the VIR 24.

A few team members will still make the trip to Indy this weekend to support the series, and if anyone needs an extra set of hands then please let us know. 

Very sorry to hear I'm sure it was a difficult decision.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rapido said:

I'd bring the car.  There will be a metric poop ton of good technicians running around!

P.s. I saw a nickname for somebody that was Hugh janus.  It made me think of you guys.  If you build another car, that would be a good name for the second car!

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 2

@wvumtnbkr we discussed it but it's been with a good tuner for two days now and even he's stumped with full access to a rolling road and all associated resources. At this point we're unwilling to risk a $2500 entry fee and a $1400 towing adventure (rental plus diesel) on the offchance a miracle cure can be found at the track. We're certainly thankful for all the advice the CC forums have lent us and are determined to get this right eventually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rapido said:

I'm sorry to announce that Team Hugh Jass have, as of today, pulled out of the Indy race. 

Man I hate that for y'all. But I can understand wanting to show up with a fully sorted car. Good luck in the 24.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 2:40 PM, Ray Franck said:

Leaving early in the morning . Be on the lookout white 93 tbird black wheels if seen on the side of the road stop and give Conner and I a ride ..

Well the bird flew all the way to Indy without a hitch, even though she has been nesting since 2017 . Conner drove over to get a trim and got rear ended at a stop light "BAM" , he is alright and the tbird still drives so all is good . She had insurance so we will see how that goes . Anybody got a decklid for a 93 Tbird ? 

Edited by Ray Franck
Spellin
  • Like 1