Bill Strong

The Official 2019 Indianapolis Motor Speedway Double 10-Hour Enduro

25 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

So, who is going to sing Back Home Again In Indiana ?

No the bigger one is who is going to do the Delta Force intro for the race.

Edited by gsmith2424
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mostmint said:

Seems to me there could be a second Indy event in 2019 it would sell out also 

Please allow me to jump in at this point.  Indianapolis is very protective of their spectacular facility, and are nervous to even let an amateur series like ours in at all!  And as you can probably tell, it costs a fortune to rent for the weekend. They became aware of the series as a result of the name change and getting their blessing on using the name Champcar, which is an asset they acquired back in the day when the original Champcar filed bankruptcy.  

This first year is really a test balloon for us and them.  Assuming it goes well, we will be back in 2020 and 2021.  Both sides need to be happy with the result, so we need everyone to be on their best behavior on track and in the pits.  I have spoken to Mike about another date, but we need to clear the hurdle of a great first date before they will consider a 2nd date.  Do not count on a 2nd date in 2019 regardless, but it is something we could look at in the future if all goes well.  We want to make all Champs happy and feel bad that there is such a long wait list. But we're happy for the demand as well.  So let's take this one event at a time.  Thank you all.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 10

8 minutes ago, Jer said:

Please allow me to jump in at this point.  Indianapolis is very protective of their spectacular facility, and are nervous to even let an amateur series like ours in at all!  And as you can probably tell, it costs a fortune to rent for the weekend. They became aware of the series as a result of the name change and getting their blessing on using the name Champcar, which is an asset they acquired back in the day when the original Champcar filed bankruptcy.  

This first year is really a test balloon for us and them.  Assuming it goes well, we will be back in 2020 and 2021.  Both sides need to be happy with the result, so we need everyone to be on their best behavior on track and in the pits.  I have spoken to Mike about another date, but we need to clear the hurdle of a great first date before they will consider a 2nd date.  Do not count on a 2nd date in 2019 regardless, but it is something we could look at in the future if all goes well.  We want to make all Champs happy and feel bad that there is such a long wait list. But we're happy for the demand as well.  So let's take this one event at a time.  Thank you all.   

Thanks @Jer    I think the Champ teams are up to the challenge of impressing any race track.    I shouldn’t, but I couldn’t help snickering a bit at you asking everyone to behave.  Stand up straight, don’t drag your feet.    I thought my mom came back and got on the forum for a second.   😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One question regarding the "restricted area" (red box on the map) in the supps.  I am wondering if that just means that we're limited to parking in the red box.  Or is that saying that we're limited watching from the red box too.  There are some great areas to watch the race, but we'll need to get outside of that box.  The grandstands on the outside of the track at the entry to road course turn 1 is an awesome spot.  Another good spot is the grass hill on the infield side of road course turn 1.  It is just on the other side of the tunnel at the end of pit lane.  Although, since I saw that there are no motorized vehicles allowed, that would be quite a long walk.  Will they allow us to ride a bicycle there?

With no practice, turn 1, lap 1 is going to be entertaining as hell.  Lap 2 might even be better.  It takes some time to figure out that car doesn't want to stop on the front straight.

50 minutes ago, Jer said:

One big suggestion to help get us back for additional years and not get us into the problem we had with VIR a couple years ago is to get two workers per corner station. With the two workers they would be able to call in situation where someone cuts a corner/other incident and to make said call if a yellow is out also as you can't do that with only one. The one worker per corner works for track day events but not for races due to not being able to make calls in your corner if a local yellow comes out and having to constantly scan up/down stream of your station.

Great decision to open registration at midnight on a Wednesday.  This is a great advantage to the unemployed and retired. 

Sadly, I don't fit into either of those categories.  My full time plus job prevents me from sitting by my computer at midnight on a week night refreshing my scree, waiting to hit the ChampCar Indy lottery.  I tried at 6am that morning but, as you all know know, that was 20 cars too late.

A real slap in the face to not be able to attend my hometown race after four years of pulling the car I built specifically to go ChampCar racing all over the Eastern US.

I have no idea what a fair system is but midnight on a weeknight ain't it.

If anyone needs parts or a shop to work in that weekend send me a message, I won't be doing a damn thing.

What a joke.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Late Ape-X said:

Great decision to open registration at midnight on a Wednesday.  This is a great advantage to the unemployed and retired. 

Sadly, I don't fit into either of those categories.  My full time plus job prevents me from sitting by my computer at midnight on a week night refreshing my scree, waiting to hit the ChampCar Indy lottery.  I tried at 6am that morning but, as you all know know, that was 20 cars too late.

A real slap in the face to not be able to attend my hometown race after four years of pulling the car I built specifically to go ChampCar racing all over the Eastern US.

If anyone needs parts or a shop to work in that weekend send me a message, I won't be doing a damn thing.

What a joke.

Look, I would love to make you and Speed Maverick believe differently but likely no words will help but here is my .02 anyway.

Is having my paypal/credit card/champ bux and teamates already in order some sort of secret advantage?

Not bouncing between grievance posts I am going to hit back at the couple of points that hit home

I have been with this series from the inception but in no way was I privy to some sort of inside info or good ol boy deal, on the contrary, I was, for a lack of better description, professionally, kindly shut down by staff from my attempt to get my $$ in early, they explained why and I was ready on cue @ midinght. I am neither retired or unemployed, again, on the contrary I ruined the next mornings work as I failed to get back to sleep till 3am Pintodave has also been in this series as long and he failed.

Sorry to hear of Speeds mom, I freshly know how that can create personal chaos, loosing a brother/primary team member a year ago made the subsequent races/family life and small business rather difficult but somehow I have made it.

Im sure this is gruff as I am at work and supposed to be doing other things but the sour grapes have begun to affect me, and for that I apologize to all.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 4

There is lots of time and lots of racing to be had before this race.  Many things can change with many cars registered.  There is still hope!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I could do that, I don't think you all want to hear me sing. 

In the famous words of Zac Wild: "As long as there's beer, I'll sing."

Edited by FlorahDorah
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Late Ape-X said:

What a joke.

I have a full time job. I have to get up at 4:30 to make it to work, and did the following morning just like always. It was important enough to me that I set my alarm and got up and registered in the first 5 minutes. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Jer said:

I understand it's difficult to determine if there is 100% certainty of an Indy 2020, 2021, etc. at this very moment but just as a precaution, can the pre-registration/race guidelines for Indy be set sometime in 2019 to allow teams to prepare? To include number of required members (what we lacked). We were scrambling to plan a pre-requirement race to be eligible for Indy. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Late Ape-X said:

What a joke.

I work 2 jobs with a 0430 rise-and-shine but that didn't stop me from setting my alarm to wake up and (try to) register. If you want to race it badly enough, you'll do what it takes. I grew up in Indy and IMS was the first track I ever went to (dad would get free entry every year to watch Indy 500 time trials). It was great to hear Champ got in but a bummer I missed out. Hoping for a 2020!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Late Ape-X said:

What a joke.

I work.  I have 2 little ones that are both younger than 3.

I seemed to get in just fine.  Set an alarm.  Not that difficult.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is the most expensive race ever and there are 10 stints total.  There will be seats for rent.  If you didn’t get in through the original registration, that is your path.  Check the forum daily - In all of the various Indy threads and in the putting people together area. Diligence produces results, laziness doesn’t - that is the nature of life. If you don’t want to check the forum daily, then you don’t want it badly enough and someone else should get the seat.  

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, mbulls@commercemicro.com said:

As at other tracks, will we be able to get back into the track to pickup the trailers on Monday morning?

No, I believe everything has to be out Sunday night.  This is also true for many tracks, and most of the marquee tracks.  

• Like 2

Any information we didn't see, which there was plenty of, we went out of our way to get questions answered.

Our team Capitan is on the east coast and has us registered with two cars.

I am sorry that a bunch of members were not able to join the race at Indy or have been placed on the waitlist.
No matter how we communicate, it is always the wrong way to catch all members. That's why we use email and social media. But... The focus is on the website. Everything goes back to one page. You want news? Go to the website. champcar.org

We don't put the focus on one event, mainly because we have 29 events we need to sell out in 2019. The Nov 1 opening was for all races. Not just for one.

I do understand the frustration about not being able to attend Indy. I personally did not think it would sell out on night one. I thought we would get 50 entries. That it would take a few days to get to 100. Just like the first Daytona. The hype was that it would sell out. I actually drove 50 miles to my office at the University of Virginia just to have a reliable Internet connection to get registered, only to find out the race was not sold out for a few weeks. 

Watching the server, and watching us get 99 spots sold in 14 minutes was freaking insane! That last entry was painful as we had to wait 5 minutes for it to be completed.

There was no old boys club. There are teams that I know wanted to enter 5+ cars, that were only able to get 2 cars entered. Heck, Tuttle wanted to enter 10 cars. Zero for that man got entered.

The wait list has enough for another event. As the event gets closer, teams will fall out. They will be replaced with the waitlisted cars. Once the payment deadline has reached us, if you have not paid in full, you will be dropped, and the next waitlisted team put in place. If that team does not pay up, then the next.

I was in the contract meeting with Indy. It was me, Mike Chisek, and the Indy folks all sitting at the huge meeting table. They said 100 cars max. They did their research talking to other tracks like Daytona, Sebring, and VIR. They said we would start with 100 cars, see how we do, and then that could change for 2020. But they want to make certain we are a good match for Indy. The number one goal for them is that you, the customer/racer have the time of your life. They said that a few times in the meeting and the tour they gave us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

So back to the positives......

If you ever loved Indycar, the museum in the infield is awesome.  Come a day early and check it out.  The town itself has a decent downtown restaurant and bar scene that is easy to get in and out of (and usually isn’t too hard to find parking in).  Overall, it is a relatively easy city to get around in. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, hotrod said:

Any information we didn't see, which there was plenty of, we went out of our way to get questions answered.

Our team Capitan is on the east coast and has us registered with two cars.

I want to apologize for the lack of info. We just don't have it all. 

We are given a set of rules and procedures by the track. We then have to work out our own processes and procedures that work around the normal way we do our events.

The priority for us was how the hell we were going to pay for this event. We worked that out, and then we worked on my side which was the supps. 
We have asked the track for a lot of questions. Questions that we have as an organization, and questions that you guys have had.
Most tracks don't return answers back a few minutes after I send the emails. It can take days or weeks. I get them answered. But not always in a timely way.

As we move forward, I will be reviewing the supps for the Indy event once a week and making updates as needed. Major changes will be posted to the website and social media. Email will be used for event updates on a monthly basis. 

The major issues so far have been viewing areas outside of the red box. Indy requires security people to be in all areas where there will be members. Those security peeps are not cheap. This is why we are boxed in. 

We also have to play by the rules of the track that have been in place for decades, if not 100 years. lol. There are rules that EVERY organization has to follow. I asked some questions during our meeting and got the "Not even the IRL get to do that" response. 

We are going to need volunteers for this race as the pit lane is long. We are going to need people to help me and my team with the media side. We will need help from you guys.
And not just for Indy. We have seen a fall off in help from teams at events. We need your help. Earn race credit for your next race! https://champcar.org/mainweb/volunteer/

• Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 8:20 AM, mbulls@commercemicro.com said:

As at other tracks, will we be able to get back into the track to pickup the trailers on Monday morning?

All ChampCar teams and equipment must be out by 9pm Sunday night. 

sorry.

I made a suggestion to the boss...
He liked it and made it even better...

Volunteer to work the 2019 Indy race and you'll have first shot at registering for the 2020 event, in addition to earning our standard payout for event workers.
Limited to 25 Volunteers.

$10/hr cash or $150 (Indy Special - normal events get $100 in race credit) in credit per 8 hour day.

https://champcar.org/mainweb/volunteer/

• Like 6