Bill Strong

The Official 2019 Indianapolis Motor Speedway Double 10-Hour Enduro

23 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

With my car, I'm guessing 9gph.  

My worst was 13.0 gallons in 1:40 at Portland. 

1 hour ago, mender said:

My worst was 13.0 gallons in 1:40 at Portland. 

My best was 4.5 gph at Nelson ledges while still turning competitive laptimes.  Those 2 seconds a lap was literally half the burn rate.

8 hours ago, Round3Racing said:

I'm curious to know if Indy encouraged that turn 1 selection.  If I remember correctly, when SCCA was selecting the layout for the Runoffs, there was no alternative to Turn 1.  The one shown for the ChampCar race is the Moto GP turn 16 (they run counter-clockwise).  I have never seen it used by another series running clockwise.  Just curious how that selection was made.

Just like anything else with ChampCar...

Mike... what do you think? 
Bill.. That one will look good for the show as the "big one" happens before lap 1 even starts... and the other makes for boring TV...

Mike... Boring it is. 
Bill... I hate you, sir.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It seems to me that the last thing we need to happen at Indy is "the big one" at any time during the race. I hope there's a CTJ meeting emphasizing to everyone how important it will be to use their heads the first few laps, and not take any risks until cars start spreading out. Nobody is going to win a 10 hour race in the first half hour.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Just like anything else with ChampCar...

Mike... what do you think? 
Bill.. That one will look good for the show as the "big one" happens before lap 1 even starts... and the other makes for boring TV...

Mike... Boring it is. 
Bill... I hate you, sir.

Well played.  I'm super excited to race this layout.  I think that turn 1 will actually be quite a bit more challenging and risky.  The normal turn 1 is very easy, as long as you get stopped in time.  I was one of the ones who expected total chaos in turn 1 during every race at the Runoffs.  It didn't really happen that way.  Turn 1 was actually one of the few passing opportunities.  This longer turn 1 will entice drivers to carry a lot of speed and that will be interesting.

Turn 7 looks to be a watchout.  Even though coming out slow from the horseshoe the wall comes in tight at track out.

1 hour ago, Burningham said:

Turn 7 looks to be a watchout.  Even though coming out slow from the horseshoe the wall comes in tight at track out.

Turn 7 is very easy.  There is a huge amount of runoff room there.  The wall is not close.   Turn 6 is tricky and to save your tires, you're going to be fairly slow through there.  So, you'll be full throttle on entry to turn 7.  It is simple and not a risk.  The only risk there is car to car contact.  We saw a bunch of that at the Runoffs.  Guys tend to get aggressive there.

2 hours ago, Round3Racing said:

Well played.  I'm super excited to race this layout.  I think that turn 1 will actually be quite a bit more challenging and risky.  The normal turn 1 is very easy, as long as you get stopped in time.  I was one of the ones who expected total chaos in turn 1 during every race at the Runoffs.  It didn't really happen that way.  Turn 1 was actually one of the few passing opportunities.  This longer turn 1 will entice drivers to carry a lot of speed and that will be interesting.

I *think* I've run this basic layout using the moto course backwards on iracing and its a much more open and flowing entry into the infield than the "other" Turn 1.  Easy entry into a fairly nice ess before T4.  Not near the braking event as it could be with the different layout..

Agree T7 there's no wall to hit unless you're really trying.  I think Bill mentioned somewhere early on Hulman ave is not considered legal racing surface so that keeps us even further away from the wall.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BollingerChump said:

I *think* I've run this basic layout using the moto course backwards on iracing and its a much more open and flowing entry into the infield than the "other" Turn 1.  Easy entry into a fairly nice ess before T4.  Not near the braking event as it could be with the different layout..

Agree T7 there's no wall to hit unless you're really trying.  I think Bill mentioned somewhere early on Hulman ave is not considered legal racing surface so that keeps us even further away from the wall.  

I was wondering about that in iRacing.  Good idea.

I searched high and low and could not find video of any actual car running that turn 1 configuration.  So, it will be a lot of fun to see how it plays out.

Based on the feedback from @BollingerChump above, I really don't know what this turn 1 will be like.  Sounds like it could be cool.  The issue with turn 1 is that the oval is grooved longitudinally.  Good for IndyCar and NASCAR to get lateral grip in the turns, but bad for straight-line braking.   The grooves take away about 1/3 of your contact patch.

Turn 4 is the toughest corner on the track.  It is slick and takes a lot of patience.  We'll see a lot of guys mowing the grass there, especially with the faster entry from this layout.

Turn 6 is going to eat tires, especially the FWD guys.  I expect that everyone will be pretty slow through there.  And that will make turn 7 even easier.  Turn 7 is fun, when you finally get it right.

Turn 8 entry is very simple and relatively fast entry.  The esses are easy.  No issues there.  Turn 11 is also a fun one to finally get right.

I never drove that turn 13 configuration.  It is going to make for a slow corner and lots of tire wear.  So, I expect that drivers will be pretty slow through there.

The exit of turn 14 will need to be re-sodded after we leave.  It is a weird corner and almost every car in the field will put at least 2 off there.  The problem is that the drop-off from the exit curb was huge, when we were there.  It tore up a lot of cars.  We'll be raising ride height for that corner.

Believe it or not, we actually saw cars getting sideways in turn 15.  Our E92 with no aero actually had to breathe the throttle in T15.  And that was on slicks.  On worn 200TW tires, that corner won't necessarily be flat for a lot of cars near the end of the race.

• Like 2

Remember... we looked at the track once on our visit. after we take some test laps on Wednesday and Thursday, the track config may change. 

Nothing is set in stone until the green flag drops.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Bike layout in iRacing still uses the tighter T1 (although as the final corner rather than the first due to the direction of racing). The tighter T1 was a result of the changes made before the Indycar GP in 2014 - the "old" (wider entry) version looks closer to how the F1 track used to be in the early 00s, but I think they remodeled that as well. Lap 1 will be an adventure for all!

3 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

The big question...
I am pushing for a three-wide start. 

That would be awesome 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

Based on the feedback from @BollingerChump above, I really don't know what this turn 1 will be like.  Sounds like it could be cool.  The issue with turn 1 is that the oval is grooved longitudinally.  Good for IndyCar and NASCAR to get lateral grip in the turns, but bad for straight-line braking.   The grooves take away about 1/3 of your contact patch.

Turn 4 is the toughest corner on the track.  It is slick and takes a lot of patience.  We'll see a lot of guys mowing the grass there, especially with the faster entry from this layout.

Turn 6 is going to eat tires, especially the FWD guys.  I expect that everyone will be pretty slow through there.  And that will make turn 7 even easier.  Turn 7 is fun, when you finally get it right.

Turn 8 entry is very simple and relatively fast entry.  The esses are easy.  No issues there.  Turn 11 is also a fun one to finally get right.

I never drove that turn 13 configuration.  It is going to make for a slow corner and lots of tire wear.  So, I expect that drivers will be pretty slow through there.

The exit of turn 14 will need to be re-sodded after we leave.  It is a weird corner and almost every car in the field will put at least 2 off there.  The problem is that the drop-off from the exit curb was huge, when we were there.  It tore up a lot of cars.  We'll be raising ride height for that corner.

Believe it or not, we actually saw cars getting sideways in turn 15.  Our E92 with no aero actually had to breathe the throttle in T15.  And that was on slicks.  On worn 200TW tires, that corner won't necessarily be flat for a lot of cars near the end of the race.

We have no iRacing, can you direct us to some youtube of what you approximate things will be like?

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

The big question...
I am pushing for a three-wide start. 

And for start order, how about lining the cars up in order of when the team registered for the event? (Assigning pits like this would make that easily doable)

1 minute ago, enginerd said:

And for start order, how about lining the cars up in order of when the team registered for the event? (Assigning pits like this would make that easily doable)

No way, I think alphabetical order would be much better 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Chisek is in charge of that. He normally lines you guys up according to makes and models so that like teams can help each other when needed. 

Indy may be different, I don't know. But that is one of the jobs I would never want.

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

We have no iRacing, can you direct us to some youtube of what you approximate things will be like?

Thank you!

Here's my start and first lap at the Runoffs:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

Here's my start and first lap at the Runoffs:

If I am not mistaken this is the sharp turn 1 and not the proposed gentler turn 1 ChampCar will be using just for reference to those watching.

Even if it’s only to see the one corner, does Someone have a video of the Turn 1 we will be using?

Edited by Team Infiniti

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

3 wide start would be good for the environment.  Save on gas burned the rest of the day.   

Make it a standing start and we can eliminate even more fuel burn (as cars run into the guy that stalled)

In all seriousness though, maybe do a pace lap 3 wide for photos and videos and then drop back into single file.  As much coolness as a three wide start would be, I think we’d risk a big pileup.  

Wait it a minute.  Bill used green font.  Not sure how I missed that.  DOH!

Edited by Racer28173