Bill Strong

The Official 2019 Indianapolis Motor Speedway Double 10-Hour Enduro

Champcar needs to learn a thing or 2 about member communication. As one of the newer people entering races for the first time I am highly disappointed in the communication leading up to this event. Too many surprises and this stinks of the good ole boys club I left racing to escape. I came back because I thought this series was different. But it seems that some of us are left in the dark and therefore on the outside looking in. 

I just got got on a waiting list that I didn’t know existed until I got an email to votefor boeard members. It was a footnote on the bottom of the page. I clicked the text and found out about the wait list.  This lack of communication and notice gives the more experienced teams a competitive advantage over the newer guys like me who just now got a car ready to race. 

Not informing teams in advance what the procedures for this race were going to be will in the long run hurt this series. Because I will tell you right now that this event announcement is an epic failure, unlike the booking of the event itself. 

I was was told I am #52 on the waiting list.  That result is not acceptable to me. Everyone should have the same chance to enter. Not just those who know how to get o;n the list first because they knew about it somehow.

The members should be up in arms over the poor communication from Chisek and Strong. I have a marketing background and the preparation for the teams to have a fair and even chance to participate in Indy is as bad as I’ve ever seen. 

Look, I believe in Champcar but this launch leaves a ton of room for improvement. I want to talk to someone about how to fix this in the future. EVERYBODY should have an equal chance to participate. When I heard that protectionism was going on I feared that there was going to be a problem.  My fear has been realized. The message is we are a closed group and if you aren’t the old guard then you are not welcome unless we don’t sell out. We only want you if we need you. Keep the newer guys in the dark so we can have our precious little club to ourselves for these big races.

I talked to my partner about what happened with the lack of information and he now wants to slow down. Trust has been lost. We now both fear that there is a bias against the new guys. Be careful about the isolationist way of doing business.

I just did a search in my email and I have only one contact per month from Champcar. That is not enough. We should be getting weekly updates at the very least. There should be a CRM being used to market to your list. Members should get even more contact to keep us informed. 

Not all of us have been here since the beginning. We don’t know all the ins and outs of the series. It is hard to get enthused when there is no information to get excited about because we never hear or see it. Or when we come to a disadvantage because of lack of information.

The forum is great but it’s not the answer to all the questions. Email needs to be part of the program. Every company I deal with sends notices of changes and current events. A simple email sent a few days before and again yesterday as a reminder that entries were at X time. How and when to get on the waiting list and also that the deposit wasn’t $250. Because that is all I had in my race account for the entry.  I was never notified it was $700. I moved $500 into my account for 2 entries. Even If I was on time I couldn’t have paid by CC. All of these little details chase away good people. 

I dont want want to be one of the ones chased out by not being given the information I need to run this team. So far I am on that list, not the one for the regulars. I will change my opinion when I’ve been properly assured that I am wrong. And I want to be wrong about this.  I had 2 championships taken away from me that I legitimately won. All because of politics and favoritism. Quit my last job as a tech official with NASCAR because I had to let a cheater go that took away a championship from a team that lost to the cheaters by 1 point.  Can’t be associated with any favoritism.  

This is is the second time in 2 tries to participate in an event and was given wrong information that either did or would have prevented me from being part of the event. The list was full when I tried to get on. But because I wasn’t informed of the true cost I would have been out because of wrong information.  

Let’s get this fixed for the future. My mom died a couple weeks ago thinking I had a chance to race my car at Indy. Sorry mom, isn’t going to happen. At least she didn’t live long enough to see me not make it. 

Congratulations to all of you who get to be part of a dream for so many.  

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, SpeedMaverick said:

Champcar needs to learn a thing or 2 about member communication.

Jake - I get where you're coming from. I'm not an 'old timer' but certainly not a noob. That stated, I also do triathlons as a hobby as well. Some of these (such as the Ironmans) sell out just as quickly; it really depends on the race. I've spent nights constantly clicking "refresh" to sign up for a race that sells out in 10 minutes. 

While I'm with you that chump could have offered more communication, the ultimate onus is on us to be proactive on getting information. You (or myself) could have easily have sent Mike or Bill an email asking when registration opens up. I was simply caught off guard as to how popular Indy is; we usually only do VIR which takes several months to sell out. I was checking every couple of days to see when it opened up. We both learned our lesson moving forward.

That stated. . .

We're #21 on the waiting list which means I need to sabotage 20 teams. . .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wink said:

That was the day after my mom died. Was a little too busy to check what Champcar was doing. But if an email told me to go look I would have.  Yeah, my fault that Champcar is in the email marketing dark ages...

Come on man! I'm sorry about your mom, but there is no reason to blame Champcar for anything!

I didn't read all your complaints (too long), but I have one question for you:

In your entire life you never tried to get a hot ticket for anything!? Concert, festival, race, ebay bet, plane,...??? I'm still hoping to one day get tickets for Burningman, but I got burned by hackers who cut in line!!!

From the day I knew when registration was going to open, I had it marked on my calendar (my wife); and anyway, my team mates would have killed me!

When you want something badly enough, you must prepare!

BTW Bill and Mike told me you were #162 on the waiting list now...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have to agree with @Philippe. (Like him, I couldn’t read the whole, repetitive rant).  As one of the “old timers” or “insiders” you are raging about, I didn’t have any inside information on this like you claim.  EVERY bit of info I had came off of this forum.  And it was across a couple different threads because everyone was so damn excited about this race that threads got spawned right and left.  Everyone on my team has been texting back and forth for weeks about this, and even people off of the team have been in the conversation.  I was checking in the guy appointed to sign us up a few hours before the opening.  That’s what it takes to get into a deal like this.  It isn’t inside info, it is passion.   

Sorry about your mom - I’m sure that isn’t helping your view of life.  Champ isn’t perfect, but it isn’t the dark swamp that you described.  

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was among the ones who did not have enough members to register. I was at-the-ready when midnight struck but hit a wall when I couldn't proceed.

What's the likelihood of Indy 2020?

Edited by rbmgf7

This was posted back on 10/24 on the homepage.  I'm sorry to hear about your mom, and I totally understand that you had bigger things on your mind.  Knowing a week ago that this was coming up helped several other teams be prepared at midnight last night, some of which I don't remember ever having heard of before...

Capture.PNG.38df73aa3f6a06ef61e4d6a8b1e2584e.PNG

17 minutes ago, rbmgf7 said:

I was among the ones who did not have enough members to register. I was at-the-ready when midnight struck but hit a wall when I couldn't proceed.

Indy 2019 is a trial run. They really wanted us to have less than 100 cars. Thanks to Mike who has experience running 100+ cars at Daytona they let us up the car count. Mike, Bill and Paulie have worked their butts off to get us in the door for 2019. This is the first event of this nature they have let anyone host, so they are going to be strict. It's like they are protecting their baby and rightfully so. If 2019 goes well, then there is a good likelihood we will be invited back for 2020. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

If 2019 goes well, then there is a good likelihood we will be invited back for 2020. 

When. FIFY

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Question: Will staff be reviewing all the entrants for eligibility i.e. raced within the last year? How does that work?

I am all for waterboarding teams. Pinkie swears is too non binding.

Actually, we keep a detailed database of all finishes in every race so it's pretty easy.

T&S also keeps a database so they can figure out who is eligible for the Championship.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SpeedMaverick said:

............I just did a search in my email and I have only one contact per month from Champcar. That is not enough. We should be getting weekly updates at the very least. There should be a CRM being used to market to your list. Members should get even more contact to keep us informed.............

Yeah....no.  I never read the emails, I dont watch the videos, usually only visit the forums every now and then and I usually only do two champ races a year but I knew registration opened at Midnight Nov 1st.  I get enough marketing junk from companies that think people cant stay informed on their own already, I dont need that from champ too.   There was plenty of info out there for people to be ready for this...as evidence by the fast sellout and apparently over 50+ waiting list. 

I didnt expect it to fill up that fast either, but that's my mistake, no one elses.  Good on those who were ready and prepared.  I'm sure it'll be fun racing a track so many people idolize.  Hopefully it goes well and they do it again in 2020.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, SpeedMaverick said:

Champcar needs to learn a thing or 2 about member communication. As one of the newer people entering races for the first time I am highly disappointed in the communication leading up to this event. Too many surprises and this stinks of the good ole boys club I left racing to escape. I came back because I thought this series was different. But it seems that some of us are left in the dark and therefore on the outside looking in. 

I just got got on a waiting list that I didn’t know existed until I got an email to votefor boeard members. It was a footnote on the bottom of the page. I clicked the text and found out about the wait list.  This lack of communication and notice gives the more experienced teams a competitive advantage over the newer guys like me who just now got a car ready to race. 

Not informing teams in advance what the procedures for this race were going to be will in the long run hurt this series. Because I will tell you right now that this event announcement is an epic failure, unlike the booking of the event itself. 

I was was told I am #52 on the waiting list.  That result is not acceptable to me. Everyone should have the same chance to enter. Not just those who know how to get o;n the list first because they knew about it somehow.

The members should be up in arms over the poor communication from Chisek and Strong. I have a marketing background and the preparation for the teams to have a fair and even chance to participate in Indy is as bad as I’ve ever seen. 

Look, I believe in Champcar but this launch leaves a ton of room for improvement. I want to talk to someone about how to fix this in the future. EVERYBODY should have an equal chance to participate. When I heard that protectionism was going on I feared that there was going to be a problem.  My fear has been realized. The message is we are a closed group and if you aren’t the old guard then you are not welcome unless we don’t sell out. We only want you if we need you. Keep the newer guys in the dark so we can have our precious little club to ourselves for these big races.

I talked to my partner about what happened with the lack of information and he now wants to slow down. Trust has been lost. We now both fear that there is a bias against the new guys. Be careful about the isolationist way of doing business.

I just did a search in my email and I have only one contact per month from Champcar. That is not enough. We should be getting weekly updates at the very least. There should be a CRM being used to market to your list. Members should get even more contact to keep us informed. 

Not all of us have been here since the beginning. We don’t know all the ins and outs of the series. It is hard to get enthused when there is no information to get excited about because we never hear or see it. Or when we come to a disadvantage because of lack of information.

The forum is great but it’s not the answer to all the questions. Email needs to be part of the program. Every company I deal with sends notices of changes and current events. A simple email sent a few days before and again yesterday as a reminder that entries were at X time. How and when to get on the waiting list and also that the deposit wasn’t $250. Because that is all I had in my race account for the entry.  I was never notified it was $700. I moved $500 into my account for 2 entries. Even If I was on time I couldn’t have paid by CC. All of these little details chase away good people. 

I dont want want to be one of the ones chased out by not being given the information I need to run this team. So far I am on that list, not the one for the regulars. I will change my opinion when I’ve been properly assured that I am wrong. And I want to be wrong about this.  I had 2 championships taken away from me that I legitimately won. All because of politics and favoritism. Quit my last job as a tech official with NASCAR because I had to let a cheater go that took away a championship from a team that lost to the cheaters by 1 point.  Can’t be associated with any favoritism.  

This is is the second time in 2 tries to participate in an event and was given wrong information that either did or would have prevented me from being part of the event. The list was full when I tried to get on. But because I wasn’t informed of the true cost I would have been out because of wrong information.  

Let’s get this fixed for the future. My mom died a couple weeks ago thinking I had a chance to race my car at Indy. Sorry mom, isn’t going to happen. At least she didn’t live long enough to see me not make it. 

Has nothing to do with the old boys club.  They talked about it at most races the last few months. 

There were 2 red flag videos with the sign up date.

I believe it was on the Facebook page.

Sorry you only rely on email.

8 hours ago, morganf said:

I guess in the future this would be a good Chumpionship race and let contenders have first go at entry.

I talked with Mike at a race about this a couple months back. He was very intentional in not making Indy the championship event for the very reason that he didn’t want to exclude the mid-pack core of the series. He wanted every current ChampCar team to have the opportunity to enter, not just the teams who do a lot of races and place well enough to qualify for the championship. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 4

Question to Bill or any of the powers at be. Are any of the Wait List teams going to be invited (if Indy will allow it) to show up and be on stand-by for when a team is done for the day due to a mechanical/crash? With the usual attrition of a race it could easily see 25-30 cars not seeing the end of day one and maybe half of those only being able to come back for day two. I know it wouldn't be the best option for those on the waitlist but it beats staying at home with no chance of racing. 

Edited by gsmith2424
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rbmgf7 said:

Me too. C'est la vie. We'll try again next year.

14 hours ago, SpeedMaverick said:

Jake,  I am really sorry about your Mom.  I know exactly how you are feeling.  Your Mom's wings were ready,  but your heart was not.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gsmith2424 said:

Question to Bill or any of the powers at be. Are any of the Wait List teams going to be invited (if Indy will allow it) to show up and be on stand-by for when a team is done for the day due to a mechanical/crash? With the usual attrition of a race it could easily see 25-30 cars not seeing the end of day one and maybe half of those only being able to come back for day two. I know it wouldn't be the best option for those on the waitlist but it beats staying at home with no chance of racing. 

That's a good idea.  Let's say, hypothetically, that a 3-car team was only able to register one car.  Could they bring the other two and enter them for day 2, when a bunch of cars are lost on day 1?  More money for ChampCar and more happy drivers who can rent a ride for day 2, instead of going home.

Also, what are ChampCar's rules regarding a replacement or backup car for race 2?  If a team had a backup car and the primary car was knocked out in race 1, could they run the backup car in race 2?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

Also, what are ChampCar's rules regarding a replacement or backup car for race 2?  If a team had a backup car and the primary car was knocked out in race 1, could they run the backup car in race 2?

The answer had always been, pay 2 entries if you want to swap out cars, pretty sure it has not changed.

• Thanks 1

Regarding the registration for this event. 

I have received emails starting in early september about registration for Indy, there have been videos posted about Indy registration, there have been several forum threads, there have been facebook posts, it has been talked about in the live broadcasts, etc. etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our team is new as well (First Year).  I know i had to look for the info i needed to register but i didn't need to look that hard. With that said, i knew our team 1000% wanted in so I took that responsibly seriously to make sure i new where and when. I even sent an email out to confirm (and my teammates made sure i had it straight more than once!)

From the outside looking in, it looks like the worst part of life got in the way for you. You are frustrated and i can sympathize with that. Could champ have done something different, I am sure they could have, but I do not feel like it was anywhere near as bad as your post makes it sound.

Sorry to hear about your loss, prayers to you and your family.

I (and im sure other members) hope to see your team at events in the future.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, SpeedMaverick said:

Honest question, how did you learn about the race? I feel like everywhere that I saw it there was a link to the supplemental rules that described the registration process and requirements. 

• Like 1