Bill Strong

The Official 2019 Indianapolis Motor Speedway Double 10-Hour Enduro

13 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

The BCCR doesn’t specifically prohibit doing work on a car in impound.  Because of the early closing time of the track, I assume we will be allowed to change brakes and do other work during impound....

This isn't F1 and your no Gordon Murray don't try pushing the envelope.

Fuel usage at the track? 
Does anyone have any ideas of how much fuel per hour you will use? Compare the Indy track to another track that we race at for throttle usage?

I think as a small overestimate I would use 160 gallons in my v6 MR2 for 2x 10-hour races. Maybe a bit less. 

1 minute ago, Bill Strong said:

Fuel usage at the track? 
Does anyone have any ideas of how much fuel per hour you will use? Compare the Indy track to another track that we race at for throttle usage?

I think as a small overestimate I would use 160 gallons in my v6 MR2 for 2x 10-hour races. Maybe a bit less. 

I'm guessing it'll be a burn rate like Road America or Sebring for us. 

5 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Fuel usage at the track? 

I think it will be similar to Rd Atl and Sebring, so I will figure 9.5/hr for the 2J.  Show up with 20 in the tank and have to buy 180 at the track.

9 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I'm guessing it'll be a burn rate like Road America or Sebring for us. 

and what was your burn rate per hour? you can message me with that

@Bill Strong - Are (small) motorized vehicles allowed if they are road licensed? IE - a 50cc moped with plates and tags.

I assume the typical rule applies that if it can be driven in legally than it's allowed.

19 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

@Bill Strong - Are (small) motorized vehicles allowed if they are road licensed? IE - a 50cc moped with plates and tags.

I assume the typical rule applies that if it can be driven in legally than it's allowed.

I have sent the request, will post the answer once I get it

• Thanks 1

Just now, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

15 gallons 

That's a lot of HP! 15 GPH!
or is that 7.5 GPH?

36 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

If it is street legal, then it can be driven in and parked with the rest of the vehicles driven in.  However, that does not mean that it can be driven around the grounds like garage area, pit lane, etc.

6 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

If it is street legal, then it can be driven in and parked with the rest of the vehicles driven in.  However, that does not mean that it can be driven around the grounds like garage area, pit lane, etc.

Sigh, how about BMX bikes in the pits?

I am pretty certain the answer was no on bikes in the pit lane. safety is a HUGE issue for the track.

11 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

I am pretty certain the answer was no on bikes in the pit lane. safety is a HUGE issue for the track.

I’m thinking bicycles in the cold. Going to bathroom or going to the truck or going to concession. 

With regards to where we can watch, can you guys try to negotiate allowing us on the hill, infield side of turn 1 of the road course?  It is the best place to watch.  The first few laps will be entertaining as hell.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

With regards to where we can watch, can you guys try to negotiate allowing us on the hill, infield side of turn 1 of the road course?  It is the best place to watch.  The first few laps will be entertaining as hell.

They stated they think T1 will be a cluster at the start. But we told them you guys are in for the long haul and know that your team mates will be pissed if you wreck out the first turn of the first lap.

Just now, Bill Strong said:

They stated they think T1 will be a cluster at the start. But we told them you guys are in for the long haul and know that your team mates will be pissed if you wreck out the first turn of the first lap.

LOL...it will be a cluster.  With no practice, it will be very entertaining to watch everyone taking their first laps there.  The first test day at the runoffs in 2017 was very entertaining.

From the track maps that are posted, it is really tough to tell which turn 1 ChampCar will be using.  Can you help clarify that?

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

Fuel usage at the track? 

I anticipate 8.5 gph in the e30, 170 gallons for the weekend.

The real guessing game is: what will be the average on-track % for the 100 cars. 

26 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

LOL...it will be a cluster.  With no practice, it will be very entertaining to watch everyone taking their first laps there.  The first test day at the runoffs in 2017 was very entertaining.

From the track maps that are posted, it is really tough to tell which turn 1 ChampCar will be using.  Can you help clarify that?

image.png.5628d9cf8131720640a913fd38dfad52.png

I thought it was pretty clear..?

35 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

Of the two options for turn 1, we are running the later one (longer main straight). 

3 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Funny.

The only work you can do on your car in impound is to remove the wheels and take apart the engine per the head of tech. :)

Thank you for confirming the procedure, since the BCCR doesn’t have any restrictions stated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

Of the two options for turn 1, we are running the later one (longer main straight). 

Thank you.  That is what I figured, but wanted to be sure.

There is a New Sheriff in town. 

Bend the rules or wonder into the grey area at you own Peril!!!! 🧐 

5 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Funny.

The only work you can do on your car in impound is to remove the wheels and take apart the engine per the head of tech. :)

• Haha 1

I'm curious to know if Indy encouraged that turn 1 selection.  If I remember correctly, when SCCA was selecting the layout for the Runoffs, there was no alternative to Turn 1.  The one shown for the ChampCar race is the Moto GP turn 16 (they run counter-clockwise).  I have never seen it used by another series running clockwise.  Just curious how that selection was made.

10 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

and what was your burn rate per hour? you can message me with that

With my car, I'm guessing 9gph.