chip

New fender ruling from TAC section

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, MoparBoyy said:

As someone already posted the boxster.  3 different generations of Dodge Vipers with stock wheels.  one other one has aftermarket wheels with the wrong offset and it passes.  heck even my Dodge Ram won't pass (also on stock wheels) guess i'm unsafe towing :)  my 2004 neon passes with its 14" wheels.  my wifes volvo wagon is literally at the limit, since the tires have these sidewalls that stick out pretty far, but all the tread is under the fender.

My Aston Martin wont even come close to passing on stock wheels / tires.  My W8 Passat on factory wheels is right at the limit with the narrower winter Blizzaks, but with the wider summer tires on, it won't pass - and that car is now on the VPI list

14 hours ago, dipperk120 said:

Yep - this is in my garage and bone stock -- no not on the VPI list, however the NTSB says it is not unsafe.....3545761_AMfender.jpg.7baf0b29bfe4be032caae6a59b97d9a0.jpg

NTSB also doesn't take a roll cage, 5-point harness, fire supression system, master electrical cutoff switch, etc......

• Like 4

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:35 AM, TBone said:

NTSB also doesn't take a roll cage, 5-point harness, fire supression system, master electrical cutoff switch, etc......

Different thread, but I'm not so sure those items wouldn't be a good idea in street cars.....because the lack of those items have demonstrated multiple instances of injury or death when they are not included.  That said, tire tread beyond the fender are not allowed on street cars in most states, and that simple rule works here, as well.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:59 PM, red0 said:

Every car I have built for this series except the last one had fenders rolled at the track using a jack handle and Louisville slugger. The Louisville slugger was destroyed during the meme wars of 2016 and I ended up buying a fender roller from 90racing.com 

That baseball bat worked wonders on my Eclipse! It must have flared them out a full inch or more and it still looks OEM.

Huggy needs more old school know-how. King dave should pull him aside for a while.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the intent is to have something capable of deflecting or protecting during contact, not sure of the material but it kind of looks pool noodle-ish?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webz said:

Just a mock up.  I believe it meets the letter of the rule. Opinions if it will pass tech?

ABB00DDC-4E19-4BDF-9A9F-EF607C76B506.jpeg

Meeting the intent of the rule is the goal.  This should actually be pretty firm if the correct length piece is used.  Sure it may break off on first contact but would be very easy to replace during the race and would only be designed for a 1 or 2 contact only.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Photon said:

Meeting the intent of the rule is the goal.  This should actually be pretty firm if the correct length piece is used.  Sure it may break off on first contact but would be very easy to replace during the race and would only be designed for a 1 or 2 contact only.

NO  just   NO  

• Thanks 1

hey if a re-ground oe cam is still an oe cam that looks like a fender flare made out of re-purposed seat foam  to me.   It is all about backyard engineering right?????????

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, webz said:

Just a mock up.  I believe it meets the letter of the rule. Opinions if it will pass tech?

ABB00DDC-4E19-4BDF-9A9F-EF607C76B506.jpeg

Not all Heros wear capes.

Edited by SonsOfIrony
Autocorrect strikes again!!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, theblue said:

I'm wondering if a pool noodle would functionally do as much as a pulled and rolled fender.   It might.

It would do as much as my front fenders, paper thin fender with some garbage can lid plastic riveted on. 

I saw other cars had high dollar garbage can lids (ebay plastic fender flares) that would do very little as well. 

That said, good luck getting through tech with it. 

1 hour ago, theblue said:

I'm wondering if a pool noodle would functionally do as much as a pulled and rolled fender.   It might.

I got out a pool noodle and have been experimenting with it and I’m  certain it will work.  The foam is denser than one might imagine and is difficult to compress.  A circle of it contoured and firmly attached to the fender will have other cars bouncing off it.  As far as passing tech, when they lay the level against it, it’s rebounding strength will be apparent.  I believe some of the walls at Daytona and other tracks have used similar materials to absorb the impact of cars that go astray.

Edited by Saminator

14 minutes ago, red0 said:

That said, good luck getting through tech with it. 

I thought everyone just took their spacers off to get through tech?

• Like 1